• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

XBOX720(lol) may have always online DRM?

Terrutas

Well, the worst may come to fruition as documentation about XBOX720 are leaked on machinima and reveal that the XBOX720 may use always-online DRM. Here's the source.

what the **** is up with these stupid ass names, seriously. There's the we you, and now xbox720? inb4 "The Playstation Station".

Forget the names of the consoles.

I'm wondering if this xbox will even be usable because of all these rumours I keep hearing about, like if it detects too many people watching a movie it will stop the film and make you buy licenses for the people in the room with MSP or real money.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
If you want to go to such extreme lengths to avoid piracy that you alienate your legit customers then the day WILL come where you pay DEARLY for it. Time will tell but if any of the rumours prove true then i hope that it comes back to bite them in the ass REAL hard.

Terrutas

I'll be sticking with PC + PS2 emulator. While the PS4 looks kind of promising (but not really) I'd rather build my own hardware and not have some online DRM forced down my throat.

Martius

SSSmokin!
For me strong point of all consoles was simplicity - put a disk in console and you can play. Lack of that and always online drm wont convince to get new microsoft machine.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Take this with a grain of salt. That document states about being always connected for things such as updates for software and games, but at no point states anything about DRM. It's just a rumour that's been around for ages and finally has some little paragraph that ever so slightly supports the idea.

If it does however use DRM, screw that. I'm not going to rely on their servers to be able to handle that kind of pressure. Their far too confident in their technology. Kinect for example; that thing clearly can't handle some of the things it was made for.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The more I hear about the new xbox, the more wary I become of it.>_< I hope it's not true about having to pay for a movie if it detects too many people. And the talk about not playing used games...plus the increase of online play and passes. It's going to alienate a lot of people...and what about games who have a slow net connection?:/

I mean, extra functions are cool, but not at the expense of the actual gaming experience. I like online play sometimes, but if it is becoming the main way to play, then I'm out. I'll stick to this generation of consoles if it means I have to put up with morons on the other end trolling games and forced online play for next gen.

Kinda like the new sim city. You're given a disc, but the whole game takes place on the online servers. And as we've seen, this has caused a lot of trouble. Besides, it's not like you even own the game due to forced online play. If EA pull the plug on servers then you don't have the game anymore.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Cant see it being that cut & dry & I love how these rumours get people going 'Im not buying it, screw it.' Its rumour & it werent that long ago that there were similar rumours about the PS4 too & both consoles blocking used games. Fact is who knows what will happen & its going to be some time until we do know, how about we ignore rumour & wait until something is announced. I mean the new Xbox hasnt even officially been announced itself yet & these rumours are already circulating. For the record im perfectly happy with my 360 but I wish I had the cash to get myself a proper PC gaming rig.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
For the record im perfectly happy with my 360 but I wish I had the cash to get myself a proper PC gaming rig.
Got to admit, I'd like to give that a go myself, but I'm not sure where to start...also I've become so used to the PS3 controller while playing that I don't know if I'd make the adjustment to a mouse and keyboard.

Edit : IGN has just done a story that backs up the OP's info about the 720 always being online, plus all games must now be installed and games cannot be played using the discs anymore. Apparently this is confirmed from some documentation.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

Dark Drakan

Admin
Got to admit, I'd like to give that a go myself, but I'm not sure where to start...also I've become so used to the PS3 controller while playing that I don't know if I'd make the adjustment to a mouse and keyboard.

Edit : IGN has just done a story that backs up the OP's info about the 720 always being online, plus all games must now be installed and games cannot be played using the discs anymore. Apparently this is confirmed from some documentation.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

If it drastically improves performance, cuts load times massively & the Hard Drives are a decent size then I wouldnt mind installing games as I did it for years as a PC Gamer & not that much different in that regard. Personally documentation or not I cant see most companies agreeing to have to install all their games to be able to play them but time will tell. PS3 needed some games to be installed so consoles already started to head down that route a while ago & some 360 games it was recommended that you install them.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I have no problems with installing games either if it's optional & the HDD is a decent size.
But these 40Gs & 80Gs are a joke when games requires 5gigabytes free space or you're downloading full games from XBLive or PSN.
They want gamers to embrace digital downloading then they should cough up a 500G HDD as standard console HDD at a reasonable price.

Agreed I mean the 20GB for the standard was silly (but I got by as im a space freak & delete all unneeded content). I have the 250GB Slim & that is pretty decent size but I dont install many games. If it were that most games had to installed then they would have to double that realistically.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I think them adding the small HDD as standard was to get gamers to purchase new systems with a larger HDD.
I had an 80G PS3 & i have absolutely no clue on switching the HDD, sooooooo i bought an external HDD 500GB for $92.00
It's great, i can backup my entire PS3 no problem.
The 360's removable HDD is awesome, i don't know if there's an option to backup the HDD to an external HDD.
Oh & you know you can't set the 360's clock unless you're signed in to XBLive Gold..........LAME!
I'm wondering will the 720's HDD be removable.

The 20GB was the only drive available when I got mine & the regular systems were all sold out. I had to buy a core system that was console only with no HD & no controllers & then buy them all separately. 20GB was about £60-£70 alone to buy on its own just seemed odd to start at 20GB to begin with. I know there werent much content on release but they knew there would be so seems small now. Ive never tried to back it up to anything other than another 360 HD but you can store things on USB devices.

The 360 clock thing is annoying, always says 12.00 until you sign into live then it changes accordingly.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I was lucky enough to get i think an 80GB 360 HDD, i've had 4 XBOX360's system failures but i've kept the same HDD throughout all of them.
That's the best thing about the 360, removable HDD.
You know the 360's HDD, Video, music, photos, is limited in storage for each section.
You can only save i think 160 photos, & how many ever videos, or music tracks it lets you save.

I can understand why it limits each to save any sort of fragmentation & unneeded caching occuring & causing save game issues for actual games. Wouldnt like to have my photos or videos stopping me having enough space to store a game save or DLC etc. Though I dont store any photos or videos on it & when I play music in game its from a USB stick as I change music depending on game.

Top Bottom