• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Worst Moment in Devil May Cry 4

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Duuude, DEAD ON for this. I also agree with most your points but this was one of my biggest disappointments with 4. I became convinced after finishing DMC4 that Capcom just don't want to do anything with the lore. Not that engaging storylines is a pillar of DMC, I know it's just a backdrop. But it's just insane to introduce a new playable character, then say NOTHING about his origins. Hell, Lucia got a ******* origin!

And hell, implying he is may be the son of Vergil actually makes it worse, no clarification. "What? How? WHEN?"

Thanks. :) Yeah, I mean, if they'd been a bit more clear on Dante's age (since we know he and Vergil are twins, and all) then it may have been easier to digest Nero being his son. I can see him wanting to pass on the Sparda legacy, even if he didn't want to be a parent, himself. I can see it being a, "In the event I die, someone can carry father's torch, because I love/hate my brother, and don't think he's capable of doing the job, himself" or something.

They just...never really gave us more than a vague idea, all around. What they gave us left us wanting more. I can't tell you how many times I've searched online, and there's a lot of conjecture about this, that, and the next thing-but very little confirmation. Just a tad frustrating, lol. >.<

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Worst moment? Scene with Kyrie after Nero gets absorbed into Savior.

Worst thing? Fighting that cheating b***ard of Sanctus. Credo, Dante, Berial, Mr. Toad 1&2... fun to fight, regardless of difficulty and how well you're doing. With Sanctus, I only wished for a nuclear-tipped RPG so I don't have to run after him. Though, just like with Agnus, it's kinda the point... game basically makes you feel anger and frustration against them that Nero (presumably) does. Savior boss fight was quite frustrating too.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Worst moment? Scene with Kyrie after Nero gets absorbed into Savior.

Worst thing? Fighting that cheating b***ard of Sanctus. Credo, Dante, Berial, Mr. Toad 1&2... fun to fight, regardless of difficulty and how well you're doing. With Sanctus, I only wished for a nuclear-tipped RPG so I don't have to run after him. Though, just like with Agnus, it's kinda the point... game basically makes you feel anger and frustration against them that Nero (presumably) does. Savior boss fight was quite frustrating too.

I know, right? F*cking Sanctus (in both missions 11 and 20!) He is such a cheap, cowardly ba$tard. Even after you figure his patterns out (for the most part, anyway) he's still difficult. Sometimes I take him down faster, but most of the time, I'm yelling insults at the screen as he unleashes his constipated-sounding fireballs of doom.

I. Hate. Sanctus.

Agnus is actually simple as hell; I won't say I did well when I first went up against him (it was a new experience, I had no idea what I was up against) but once I figured him out?

Suffice it to say I cackle (especially if I'm taking him down with Nero's specialty buster move against him; you know what I mean...stabbing him with his own Gladius weapons as he begs for the mercy he'd never show you if the roles were reversed-like a typical "all talk" villain).

I figure you're right. We're not just supposed to play the game; we're meant to experience it, too. Thus, we need to feel some of Nero's agitation against such bosses.

The Savior battle isn't too bad; I take it you refer to Dante's mission against the statue itself, right? Definitely more gruelling in the harder modes, but once you get a hang of his attack patterns and a feel for your personal best methods in taking him down? It can be somewhat fun. :)

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Agnus is actually simple as hell; I won't say I did well when I first went up against him (it was a new experience, I had no idea what I was up against) but once I figured him out?

Suffice it to say I cackle (especially if I'm taking him down with Nero's specialty buster move against him; you know what I mean...stabbing him with his own Gladius weapons as he begs for the mercy he'd never show you if the roles were reversed-like a typical "all talk" villain).

Agnus isn't that difficult gameplay-wise, but I find his attitude irritating.

The Savior battle isn't too bad; I take it you refer to Dante's mission against the statue itself, right? Definitely more gruelling in the harder modes, but once you get a hang of his attack patterns and a feel for your personal best methods in taking him down? It can be somewhat fun. :)

It can be fun, but once he goes into red mode with Giant Ray of Death... I really hate effects that accompany that laser attack.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Agnus isn't that difficult gameplay-wise, but I find his attitude irritating.

Which, if that's what Capcom was aiming for, they succeeded beautifully. ;)

It can be fun, but once he goes into red mode with Giant Ray of Death... I really hate effects that accompany that laser attack.

It reminds me of something else, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Getting caught in that attack is devastating, lol. It certainly makes you a quick study on cancelling your attacks to evade it, or looking for the signs he's about to use it beforehand (the latter works out better, here).

What about the effects bothers you?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Screen getting darker. Like it's a storm or something. Maybe effect of all that demonic energy accumulated inside the statue?

Ah, I know what you mean. I think it was intentional, but yeah, any time he's done one of those right after another (on one of the harder modes, I wound up having to dodge three in a row; it only happened once, so I'm wondering if it was a mere glitch) it gave me a bit of eye strain.

cheesydonutman

What's your least favorite thing about Devil May Cry 4?

I wish Nero got more weapons, and that Dante had some unique enemies that were tailored for his playstyle.

Also, that dice game. Eff that dice game :/

EDIT: Remember to keep it civil guys. This isn't about bashing the game, just about the things that didn't quite click with you.
That moment when you start playing as Dante and realize you are about to repeat the entire game with slightly different enemies. FRUSTRATION OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!

Picard

Starfleet Demon
That moment when you start playing as Dante and realize you are about to repeat the entire game with slightly different enemies. FRUSTRATION OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!

It would be fun if they took a cue from Overlord and made Dante go to Hell and fight all enemies he defeated over the course of previous games in order to acquire X and kill Sanctus + save Nero and Kyrie with it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I dunno...padding the game with a Boss Rush is bad enough when you're fighting the bosses from just that game. Forcing you to fight more, for little reason, is even worse :S

Picard

Starfleet Demon
I dunno...padding the game with a Boss Rush is bad enough when you're fighting the bosses from just that game. Forcing you to fight more, for little reason, is even worse :S

They did have Boss Rush in DMC 4... remember Nero level inside the Savior before he faces Sanctus? Cube game > boss fight > cube game > boss fight > ... At least with my idea Dante would face enemies and bosses Nero did not, as opposed to the enemies and bosses you have already faces in areas you have already visited with Nero, which happens to be one of major sore points with the game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well that's the problem, it was stupid in DMC4, DMC3, and every Mega Man game ever made. Artificial lengthening shouldn't really be tolerated, especially in the case you said - why would Dante need to do anything with past bosses? There's no rhyme or reason to it, and it would really only further detract from the narrative, making Dante's scenario even more out of place.

It'd be awesome to fight them all again in Bloody Palace, but...not in the main game.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Well that's the problem, it was stupid in DMC4, DMC3, and every Mega Man game ever made. Artificial lengthening shouldn't really be tolerated, especially in the case you said - why would Dante need to do anything with past bosses? There's no rhyme or reason to it, and it would really only further detract from the narrative, making Dante's scenario even more out of place.

It'd be awesome to fight them all again in Bloody Palace, but...not in the main game.

Agreed. As far as narrative goes, it would have been nice not having to face bosses you've already fought-three times over (Dagon being a switch from Bael almost doesn't count, since they were pretty much the same).

I still maintain the back-tracking didn't bother me too much, but they certainly could have improved upon certain things.

And ugh! Mega Man boss fights...>.< Lol, I guess these are Capcom's calling cards. :p

Frazz

General gamer
My personal worst moment of DMC 4 was realising during mission 10 that Nero wasn't going to get any other melee weapons. After returning to DMC 4 after a year long break (about a month ago I started a SoS playthrough) I figure that the Dice game would have been much less painful if Nero had more weapons which had their own unique exceed attacks. I always wanted twin axes or sonething for Nero...

I think DMC 4 is a flawed but fun game, due to my break from it I believe that it and DmC are equally good. One has superior combat and the other has a more interesting world. However I do think that DMC 4 has the best bosses of the series (asides from Sanctus) even though they are quite easy!

Also Sanctus is the worst thing... Ever!

DMC

Devil May Cry
Worst moment in DMC 4 .... Dante lets Nero keep the sword... best moment Nero gives Dante the bird in return :d
-eats a cookie- Dante I don't blame you have a big heart for love... And know Nero has a lot of power in him... but never trust a person who nearly gets killed 1000 times... its not good.. -eats a cookie- Don't worry Nero fans... I'm a fan of Nero too

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
For me, it's really a toss between that unfathomably abhorrent dice puzzle pulled straight out of the ninth circle...

...and this scene, right here. I hate this...I utterly despise it. It's quite possibly Dante at his absolute worst...and that's saying a lot when you really think about him, and all the stupid **** he has done/said over the course of the series.

Top Bottom