• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who should have won? Dante or Vergil

Who should have won in a fight that wasn't fixed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante666666

uh......eh...... i think neither would win like alastor12 said. Anyway no one would let them finish a fight its always interuppted

machindix

Dante (<--- sure took me a while to decide...)

I can't say it's because he has more weapons or better skills and stuff. It's just that I see more determination in Dante. I think he could become even more reckless than Vergil once he's found his purpose, and this gives him more prowess in battle. That's why Vergil always ends up losing despite his better skills.

machindix

No, I'm talking about the overall battle performance here. My point is: sometimes it just takes more than skills for one to become a good fighter. If you'd simply asked me who has better skills, I'd say Vergil. But if you ask me who'd win, I'd say Dante...

Dark Elf

Dagger user
I meant that we didn't actually see the real battle between Dante & Vergil, we saw a script in storyline

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
machindix;10870 said:
Dante (<--- sure took me a while to decide...)

I can't say it's because he has more weapons or better skills and stuff. It's just that I see more determination in Dante. I think he could become even more reckless than Vergil once he's found his purpose, and this gives him more prowess in battle. That's why Vergil always ends up losing despite his better skills.

You can't lose with better skills unless you're seriously handicapped. Could you further articulate the validity of your argument? After all recklessness only ends in failure.

machindix

The Phantarch;11162 said:
You can't lose with better skills unless you're seriously handicapped. Could you further articulate the validity of your argument? After all recklessness only ends in failure.

Well... there you have the discrepancy between western and oriental philosophy. (<--- if you happen to like Japanese manga you'll know what I mean...)

To me, the motivation and the will to accomplish is something that transends ability in improtance as the crucial key to success, espeacially when it comes to two equal forces battling against each other.

I think you mentioned a few posts before that Vergil had many a chance to finish off Dante, that is, he had the ability to do so. But why didn't he do it? Because he hadn't the will. Some "pesky brotherly love" got in his way (<--- at least that's how I interpreted it)

Vergil, despite his determination to eliminate all obstacles to obtain power, could not make up his mind to kill his own brother. I think this sign suggests that he still had doubts in his own motivation, and it was this irresolution that led to his downfall, if not anything else.

So my opinion is that given a purpose, Dante is the one who would win simply because he is sure of his own beliefs and doesn't have much doubts like Vergil. I can't say the same for casual fights though...

And uh... I think I used a wrong word in my second-to-the last post. I meant to use "ruthless", not "reckless"...

My mistake. orz

machindix

Alastor12;11192 said:
I'm possibly wrong, but I think that emotions doesn't show the result of the batttle

Maybe it doesn't affect you, but I always do poorly at something when I think it's pointless or when I'm in low spirits... >_<

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
machindix;11210 said:
Maybe it doesn't affect you, but I always do poorly at something when I think it's pointless or when I'm in low spirits... >_<

Besides Vergil was OBSESSED with power, now I call that motivated. It may not be as chivalrous a reason to be motivated as Dante's motives but it's still strong motivation. On top of this Dante didn't really seem all that bothered until the very end. Also I can't believe that Vergil tried to use Force Edge to beat Dante in the end cutscene when Yamato had a much longer reach. Vergil would have realised that, until late in the game he appears to be far more collected than Dante.

Dark Elf

Dagger user
If you want to hear my opinion, I just think that Vergil used FE in the last cutscene coz he thought it had more power. He hoped to kill Dante with a single hit

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Alastor12;11240 said:
If you want to hear my opinion, I just think that Vergil used FE in the last cutscene coz he thought it had more power. He hoped to kill Dante with a single hit

I don't think Vergil was intent on killing Dante. In the end sequence he told Dante to escape, remember. Dante was the one who said "Let's finish this"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom