• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who is younger, Vergil or Dante?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Height doesn't imply anything about age. My older brother is shorter than my younger brother, so there :p
I liked the idea of Dante being the big brother. :( Why can't he be the big brother? He's taking on the responsibility of protecting and watching over, which is what big brothers do. Vergil messes up and big brother Dante is there to pull him out of it.

Story

Actually they are completely the same in height if you view them in mission 19, Vergil only seems taller and Dante shorter is because in the cutscenes, camera angle tricks are used, sceneing from below makes a character seem taller/stronger, while from above makes the character shorter/weaker, I guessed it was for establishing Vergil as the "big brother" (this also makes a character more symphatic, tough no amount of camera angles could help his terrible antagonizing lines)
But Dante's Stalker is right, Dante could and should be the older brother in this entry, it just suits him more this time than Vergil.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Actually, line them up in 19, and Vergil IS taller, I was very careful to line them up just perfectly at teh start of the mission when I noticed it. Either he's supposed to be wearing lifts, or he is taller by an inch, because hios head is higher than Dante's when they stand side by side. Plus in 20's cutescenes, there is a straight profile of them close up, Vergil is very noticably taller.

Story

Actually, line them up in 19, and Vergil IS taller, I was very careful to line them up just perfectly at teh start of the mission when I noticed it. Either he's supposed to be wearing lifts, or he is taller by an inch, because hios head is higher than Dante's when they stand side by side. Plus in 20's cutescenes, there is a straight profile of them close up, Vergil is very noticably taller.

Maybe Vergil is a little taller, I noticed a few centimeter difference too, but I blamed the hair for that. He may be a tad taller but not as much as the cameras pose him to be, or as the ridiculous reveal trailer, where he is a half "head" taller even when lined up beside Dante.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I still like the idea of Dante being the powerhouse "runt", hence why Vergil underestimated him. That's me personally, and since Dante is already canonically 6'1 both in classic DMC AND according to the concept art with him against the mugshot backing for DmC, that puts Vergil at 6'2 or 6'3

EllDawn

With Dante being the older brother, it would explain why Vergil feels inferior to him. A lot of times the younger sibling tries to prove their equality, or superiority to the older sibling.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
They're twins. They're both the same age.

You have to remember that Hollow Dante is just a figment of Vergils imagination. Dante calls him big brother because before Vergil killed Hollow Dante he was feeling insecure about losing to him.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
They're twins. They're both the same age.
Twins just means conceived at the same time not given birth to at the same time, twin births can actually be separated by days and in rare cases a month or more.

Usually the twin born earlier will have more defects depending on how early the birth is. In DMC Dante and Vergil have a shared birthday (Can tell from the memory flashback in DMC1 after defeating Nelo Angelo) but Vergil is older even if it is by a few hours meaning he was born earlier, and who knows, maybe a few hours can make a big difference when giving birth to a half human/half demon child. Using that logic it would make more sense for DmC Vergil to be born earlier (Making him older) since he seems to have had less of an edge compared to Dante ever since his childhood.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah, twins has to do with how the were concieved, usualy an egg splitting during fertalization, two different sperm hitting at the same time, or two spear and two eggs. Birth can be general seperated by minutes to hours, but ssometimes gets to days, and in a rare case as pointed out, a month.

Still likely means Vergil is the older of them and the Hollow Dante was mocking his insecurities about bring trounced by his younger brother.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Twins just means conceived at the same time not given birth to at the same time, twin births can actually be separated by days and in rare cases a month or more.
Yup. i have twin brother(i am younger clone) so it would be interesting to have some hint which of brothers is younger. Dante calling himself big brother in VD could be only to mock Vergil.

Sunaka Marién

I'd... actally just like to mention that, with loosing their memories about their past and all, they most likely don't know who's the older one. What Hollow Dante said was probably just Vergil's fear, that he might be the younger one, which would take away the only superiority he might have left over Dante. And I think it's also more about symbolism then actual age (._.)

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I'd... actally just like to mention that, with loosing their memories about their past and all, they most likely don't know who's the older one.
True, but didn't they regain pretty much all their memories? Would've thought who was older would be included in those regained memories as well.

Sunaka Marién

True, but didn't they regain pretty much all their memories? Would've thought who was older would be included in those regained memories as well.
Well, we don't know for sure if they regained all their memories and we must take into consideration that they were still very young back then, so they might have never asked for who was older. And, well, I dunno what parents of twins are usually like, but I don't think they'd tell them who's older just like that, unless their kids ask for it.
We may never know D:

Top Bottom