• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who is younger, Vergil or Dante?

Story

Originally Vergil was the "big brother" as Dante mentions jokingly in DMC3 before drawing his guns: "How about a kiss from your little brother?"

But in DmC, in the main campaign Vergil was established as being "bigger" again but in Downfall, phantom Dante taunts him by saying "You know you can't keep up with your big brother"
Do you think this was just a taunt, that makes not much sense then other than hinting that Vergil is weaker, or Vergil is indeed the younger twin in this incarnation adding more to his feeling of inferiority.
I vote for the second though this does make those camera angles that makes him seem taller, bigger look stupid.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Vergil is established as taller big time in DmC, and it did seem awkward for Dante's hollow copy to referr to himself as "big brother" since traditionally, Vergil is always the older twin, in reference to Virgil Maro, the poet, having been one of Dante Alhigari's predessesors

Dante47

I'd guess they made Dante the older twin. It's another difference. It does add to the inferiority that Vergil would feel.
Unless it's like Metal Gear Solid, in which Vergil is actually the dominant twin whilst Dante is the inferior.
It would probably make Vergil feel worse if he found that out.

EllDawn

Unless it's like Metal Gear Solid, in which Vergil is actually the dominant twin whilst Dante is the inferior.
It would probably make Vergil feel worse if he found that out.
I don't really think it would. In VD I think him feeling superior to Dante would have been a sort of victory for him.

Romy

I noticed that too and don't know why they would change that from DMC3. It's better that Vergil's the older one

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't really think it was a conscious choice to change it, just random thing that happened to be different because of what was written.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I find it pretty symbolic.

DMC3: How about a kiss for your little brother?
DmC VD: You know you can't keep up with your big brother.

Zarmat

What Hollow Dante says to Vergil might not be 100% fact, maybe more rather how Vergil feels, having been bested by Dante at the end of DmC, he properly feels as the inferior of the two or 'Smaller' brother and since it could be taken into account a lot of Downfall is what's going on in Vergil head, what Hollow Dante says to him is more of what he is thinking or feeling.

Story

It matters which one come out first.

What I was thinking too, but it may not the the order that matters, it is the knowledge of the birth order that can impact the perception of one's role in the family. I read a lot of nonsense on the internetz but i like this idea, as NT tried so hard to make Vergil seem weak, being the younger twin this time would be the cherry on the cake for his inferiority complex so it makes sense to actually write him that way.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Or the slap in the face that despite being taller and the older, Dante still aced him and talked him down...I think it may have been a insult based on inferiority more than age...Dante was the "big man" by besting Vergil, not being older...unless they out and say Dante's the older twin here, I'm gonn'a assume that was the meaning, because Dante IS smaller in height than Vergil in DmC.

Top Bottom