• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who else thinks that DmC is good and DMC actually needed a reboot?

EvilX-81

Alright, maybe Dante should pick up the phone normally, Maybe Dante should have just pressed the button on the Juke box and made it work instantly, Dante fighting demons in an over the top manner? Screw that, get out of there dude! Call the cops or something, be realistic about the situation.

>Points to three unrealistic fantasy characters who do wild moves and have inhumanly crazy skills but don't need to blatantly show off in order to show how "cool" they are

>"LOL they should do things realistically!"

Either you're not understanding my argument, or you're just continuing to troll me with your strawman.

>Points to three unrealistic fantasy characters who do wild moves and have inhumanly crazy skills but don't need to blatantly show off in order to show how "cool" they are

Either you're not understanding my argument, or you're just continuing to troll me with your strawman.

Nah, I'm just wondering why you think it's such a crime for characters be interesting in cutscenes.That's just who Dante is, Sorry if he has some 'character'

you're just continuing to troll me with your strawman

ahhh.... you got me, you saw past my ruse! Yeah stay delusional.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine

Your argument is that the defining aesthetic of the classic series, where the protagonist does ludicrously over the top things for little to no reason, is unnecessary and unwelcome. Mari is pointing out that the entire series is about being ludicrous and over the top, and that therefore your statement is poorly founded.

And has it occured to you that the fact that modern fantasy characters like Kratos, Asura and Cole don't exhibit Classic Dante's behaviour is what made Classic Dante so unique and beloved? Since when has being like every other gravelly-voiced, overly dark hero been something to aspire to? Since the nineties era of comics I mean.

PS I'm quite fond of Asura.

crush

Sorry to break the flow...I have not been logging in this forum as I used to be.
(Due to job-hunting, which is notoriously hard in Japan)
Yeah, I think that this reboot occured not just because Dante's attitude was starting to get wierd.Fans still like his style, craziness.
But Dante was getting very out of hand as a character in a adventure.He is simply too strong to make a story. Mundus and Vergil were pretty much dead, and for DMC4, we all thought Nero was going to make a good challenge didn't we?
But as you know, this Sanctus (which can't possibly beat Dante even with sparda and the saviour) was the last boss, and Nero was treated as an inferior of Dante from the first chapter to the last.
There is nothing in the world to threat Dante and his workshop and pizzas. Therefore the story is in like a deep freeze.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
So introduce a new antagonist. Introduce a human villian who steals Dante's powers. Have Sparda return and demand the Earth as his dominion. Have God return and force mankind rise to wipe out all demonic life, protagonists included. Have Cthulhu rise.

This is a largely undefined universe with a fantasy kitchen sink design. You could do anything in each game as long as it serves the gameplay well and executes an interesting plot.

Convoluted storylines aren't a reason to reboot a franchise. Awful management is.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Sorry to break the flow...I have not been logging in this forum as I used to be.
(Due to job-hunting, which is notoriously hard in Japan)

Good thing I didn't try job-hunting there. However, my dream of living in Tokyo has now been...

Completely crushed. :cool:

YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, I agree with your post, I think the story couldn't have really gone anywhere unless they retconned a lot of things within it. I think the best thing would be to start over. With classic Dante. And a better story. So that everyone's needs can be met.

But, Dante should at least say that he dyes his hair white or say he has some sort of condition so that no one gets suspicious. Seriously, no one asks why he looks like that, or why he's always dressed in red, or where he got the funding to start his own business (inheritance? and if so, did he spend it all?) ... or how he even keeps running it if he's always swamped in debt. You'd think he would have foreclosed by now.

See? Retcon.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
But, Dante should at least say that he dyes his hair white or say he has some sort of condition so that no one gets suspicious. Seriously, no one asks why he looks like that, or why he's always dressed in red, or where he got the funding to start his own business (inheritance? and if so, did he spend it all?) ... or how he even keeps running it if he's always swamped in debt. You'd think he would have foreclosed by now.

The testimony of Enzo in the DMC1 manual actually describes Dante in such a way that you could interpret that he's worked as a mafia enforcer who prefers to deal with paranormal affairs. Prime material for a prequel tale there: Young Dante gets hired by the Capo di tutti capi to take on a rival crime syndicate, who it turns out are Mundas worshippers. Bang, plot right there.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The testimony of Enzo in the DMC1 manual actually describes Dante in such a way that you could interpret that he's worked as a mafia enforcer who prefers to deal with paranormal affairs. Prime material for a prequel tale there: Young Dante gets hired by the Capo di tutti capi to take on a rival crime syndicate, who it turns out are Mundus worshippers. Bang, plot right there.

They should have just done that in the first place instead of this vague, world domination plot with Mallet Island and Mundus. I still think that should be the starting point for a new story. And funding. They need to explain that, as well.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
They should have just done that in the first place instead of this vague, world domination plot with Mallet Island and Mundus. I still think that should be the starting point for a new story. And funding. They need to explain that, as well.

I'd hardly describe DMC1 as "vague". Mundas is a god. If he enters the human world, we're completely boned just as surely as if you summoned Azathoth. Mundas lures Dante, the only guy who could possibly beat him, to the place where he plans to manifest himself because he's an egocentric prick who doesn't think Dante's all that. Dante uses alchemy to break into Hell, delivers Mundas a dickkickening, escapes.

crush

So introduce a new antagonist. Introduce a human villian who steals Dante's powers. Have Sparda return and demand the Earth as his dominion. Have God return and force mankind rise to wipe out all demonic life, protagonists included. Have Cthulhu rise.
This is a largely undefined universe with a fantasy kitchen sink design. You could do anything in each game as long as it serves the gameplay well and executes an interesting plot.
Convoluted storylines aren't a reason to reboot a franchise. Awful management is.

Pity Capcom can't imagine all those kinds of stuff. Alien demons from outer space sounds kinda cool. (And B movie-ish)
The original Mundus and concept art DmC Mundus (The white one with the sorta cute face) looked like something out of Cthulhu so I think they could make another demon clan or something.
BTW, Dagon with hot tentacles was one wierd choice I say. lol

Good thing I didn't try job-hunting there. However, my dream of living in Tokyo has now been...
Anyway, I agree with your post, I think the story couldn't have really gone anywhere unless they retconned a lot of things within it. I think the best thing would be to start over. With classic Dante. And a better story. So that everyone's needs can be met.
See? Retcon.

I strongly suggest you come as a tourist or a foreign buisnessman. The companies even rarely make a appointment with you and do sorting automatic from head to toe. It's a complete hellhole.

The thing you wanted was in the animation series of DMC...but as you know, It's quite a letdown.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Pity Capcom can't imagine all those kinds of stuff. Alien demons from outer space sounds kinda cool. (And B movie-ish)

Pyron would like a word with you.

pyron02_zps3240b48a.jpg

The original Mundus and concept art DmC Mundus (The white one with the sorta cute face) looked like something out of Cthulhu so I think they could make another demon clan or something.

Hell, don't you remember what the final battle with Classic Mundas was like? A mass of roiling energy full of eyes? Didn't that seem Lovecraft to you?

The hands were my favourite detail. The crawling, chaotic form, that was pure Nylarthotep. Despite being orange.

nyarlathotep.jpg

The thing you wanted was in the animation series of DMC...but as you know, It's quite a letdown.

The anime is a great example of what happens to Devil May Cry when you remove the CRAZY.

EvilX-81

Or, you know, heroic fiction stretching back to the dawn of human history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh

Haven't read it, but invincible heroes suck no matter what time and date they were written in, unless they have something else going for them that is compensates for the entertainment and is executed incredibly well.

And really? You bring up DmC as the solution to the problem with indestructible fantasy protagonists? A game where the main character is physically intimidated by a villian ONCE, and the gameplay is so laughably easy that you're unlikely to get a single game over?

A) Maybe you could point to where I brought up DmC as a counter-example.

B) While we're on the subject, DmC's Mundus was STILL more intimidating to Dante and Vergil through most of the game than Sanctus and The Savior were in 4. They had to execute a plan to separate him from his Hellgate, then hit him at his weakpoints. Hits him hard with Eryx, who then no sells and throw him at a building. It's no GoW2/3 Zeus, but like I said, more intimidating than 4's antagonists. DMC1's Mundus was pretty good, Dante wasn't unbeatable here, needed several things to fight on level with Mundus, took a lick or two in fighting him even then, and mostly succeeded in trapping him in his dimension in the end. And though I didn't get the impression Dante was ever intimidated by Arkham, DMC3 kinda gets a pass with Beowulf and it's overall story and handling of Dante (it's just those particular scenes that make me skip each time.)

The mindset seemed to be in DMC3 to have Dante as many ridiculous things as possible, whether he was answering phones, putting on jackets, or in an actual action scene that may call for such over-the-topness, and because of it, certain scenes just grate on me in further viewings.

Classic DMC's difficulty was a call to action that made you want to aspire to be the indestructible protagonist conveyed in the cutscene. That aesthetic where Dante was a cocksure joyseeker was something you worked to emulate by being a better player and made the gameplay more satisfying as a result.

It works from a game standpoint, but it doesn't make for an interesting character if that is ALL a character has going for them, to the point that everything they have to do has to be cool looking and over-the-top. (Note: it wasn't until 2 and 4 he became almost solely this.)

Trying to take an action series which thrives on the eccentric, over the top nature of the world and characters it revolves around and "ground it in relatable characters" is completely undermined when you still have to have that game have ludicrously over the top action in order to actually make the gameplay anything like it's predecessors.

There seems to be this confusion in what I am saying. I'm saying again, that there's a line between doing cool things, and just blatantly showing off, which kills the "coolness" trying to be conveyed.

Ex: a rock is thrown at a character.

Jumping back to dodge it = effective.

doing a backflip to avoid it = cool.

hitting a double backflip = cool.

Hitting a double backflip into a half-twist with a yawn taking out your cellphone to talk to your girlfriend then hitting a split during your landing into a moonwalk and finishing with a pelvic thrust = .....Cool?

Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Darksiders, Castlevania, hell Metal Gear Rising and Anarchy Reigns. Even when Raiden runs on missiles, he's at least doing it for a reason beyond "hey look! This character is doing something really cool!"

Ters

wasn't part of the reason everyone hated dmc2 that dante was a grim tryhard tool who wasn't fun anymore?

EvilX-81

Your argument is that the defining aesthetic of the classic series, where the protagonist does ludicrously over the top things for little to no reason,

Not true IMO.

is unnecessary and unwelcome. Mari is pointing out that the entire series is about being ludicrous and over the top, and that therefore your statement is poorly founded.

Which is still a strawman of my point, which was never about the over-the-topness or ludicrousness of the game. It's about cool being drowned in "too much cool for no reason." And even then, if there were scenes in the original of Dante back flipping and breakdancing his way over to a door with little apparent reason or danger, wouldn't make it "cool".

And has it occurred to you that the fact that modern fantasy characters like Kratos, Asura and Cole don't exhibit Classic Dante's behavior is what made Classic Dante so unique and beloved? Since when has being like every other gravelly-voiced, overly dark hero been something to aspire to? Since the nineties era of comics I mean.

My point isn't about his direct personality, and you find me *one* scene in DMC1 that comes anywhere close to the cheesiness of DMC3 after Dante steps out of the shower but before the fight scene. And while DMC4 takes like nearly *nothing* serious, DMC1 Dante did.

In DMC3, he can't sit in a chair without looking overly "cool." They took what made Dante Dante in DMC1, and ramped it up and over the moon in 3, like they were trying to counter the force of his grimdark in 2 and then some.

PS I'm quite fond of Asura.

I like him too, and not because of his gravely voice or being dark (or really anything to do with his personality). Too bad he didn't have a better game; would've been GOTY if it had a better combat engine. Hoping for a 2 one day where they iron out all the shortcomings of 1.

crush

Haven't read it, but invincible heroes suck no matter what time and date they were written in, unless they have something else going for them that is compensates for the entertainment and is executed incredibly well.
In the case you haven't read the tales of Gilgamesh...Well, he cries in woe a lot. XD

crush

Reminds me of another guy I know.

Reply to follow.

Aww..dude. You certainly like the things I love. lol
The fist of the north star is a good example of how far a calm character can do something very wierd with a completely blank expression without making the storyline twist and turn in on itself much.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.

My heart hurts at so much wasted potential. So many ideas could've came out from the original series. You can't say there wasn't any more story to work with. Just got to be creative with it. This reboot just came across as a cop out to me.

Lol original Dante breakdancing to a door. I'd actually love to see that XD

Top Bottom