• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Who agrees that Sparda should get his own prequel game?

Do you think Sparda should get his own game?

• Yeah he should.

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • Nah,I should stay with Dante.

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslmpg

Yeah, that's exactly the point. Either you play as the real Sparda who is godly and impossible to challenge, or you play as a weak Sparda that is kind of disappointing.

The only way they can get around this is playing as Sparda after he sealed his power, which again is lame, or by having flashback gameplay sequences as Sparda where you literally cannot die.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;264189 said:
Yeah, that's exactly the point. Either you play as the real Sparda who is godly and impossible to challenge, or you play as a weak Sparda that is kind of disappointing.

The only way they can get around this is playing as Sparda after he sealed his power, which again is lame, or by having flashback gameplay sequences as Sparda where you literally cannot die.

A weaker Sparda wouldn't disappoint me. But this is the part where you chew me out and say that it wouldn't make sense, right?

moseslmpg

No. If it doesn't disappoint you, then there's no problem. But you would only have the story to rely on to make it a Sparda game. It could just as well be Dante gone back in time, from a gameplay perspective.

Really, you would just be better off reading a Sparda novel, since you could be assured the story would at least be better than in the game.

One of my associates did develop and idea for a Sparda game, the only passable one I have heard so far. In it, you would play as Sparda during his last mission, at Dante's level of gameplay power, and throughout the game there would be flashbacks to his past history, like fighting against Hell (which there's no proof he did, according to you IIRC), Vi Du Marli, and so forth. And those past missions would be connected to his last mission, and then you would die at the end.

Again though, it would make a much better story than game at that point.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;264199 said:
No. If it doesn't disappoint you, then there's no problem. But you would only have the story to rely on to make it a Sparda game. It could just as well be Dante gone back in time, from a gameplay perspective.

Not if Sparda has a completely different fighting style from Dante, similar to how they implemented Vergil into DMC3:SE except with an actual plotline.

You should see my friend's Devil May Cry Zero game idea. I will link you to it if you like.

moseslmpg

I've seen it. But the likelihood that they will use a totally different fighting style for him is slim to none. He is the one that originally used Yamato and Rebellion, so his fighting style would be similar or the same as Dante and Vergil.

The only thing they could really focus on to make his game unique would be his full demonic powers, which he would only have access to 2000 years ago. So again, it seems like a self-defeating endeavor.

Edit: Actually, maybe you should link DMC Zero. I can't find it now.

----------------
DreadnoughtDT;264076 said:
Griffon also had said "Yours are DEFINITELY the powers of Sparda. No... Even more so." Meaning that he was talking about his strength and such.
This is a common misunderstanding. First of all, if we ignore the fact that this is hearsay and would not be even remotely admissible in a court of law, and also ignore the fact that there's no way Griffon would know Sparda's full power, since Mundus and Sparda are the only ones who really would. But let's assume that what Griffon says is true, most people misunderstand the sentence due to the somewhat archaic structure.

What Griffon is saying is that Dante has more variety of powers than Sparda did, not that he has a greater magnitude of power than Sparda did. This is why he uses the words "yours" and "powers" and "of Sparda." Yours is possessive second person of a plural object, the referent being the aforementioned plural "powers" which have the quality of being "of Sparda." So, let us use a more concrete example to understand what he is saying.

Let's exchange "powers" for rocks. And let's exchange the quality of those powers with different colors, some white and some black. So, the "powers of Sparda" would be black rocks, for instance. What Griffon would be saying is that: "Yours (referring to the rocks Dante possesses) are definitely black rocks (powers of Sparda), no, even more so (i.e. you have black and white rocks)." Griffon is saying that Dante has a different quality of powers than Sparda had, i.e. Dante has both human and demonic power, but Griffon is stating nothing whatsoever about the absolute magnitude, quantity of power, i.e. he is saying nothing of how many rocks in total Dante has in comparison to Sparda.

Translation: "Those powers you have, they are definitely the type of powers that Sparda had. But you even have a different type of power on top of that. But I am not saying about about how powerful you are, mind you."

KOH, respond in VM or PM if you would like to continue. If not, that's fine. I just wanted to clarify that point.

King of Hell

Must Die
Griffon & Phantom know Sparda very well, Sparda was one of the Generals of Mundus, he fought with them, & in the end, against them, they both know his power, those Generals are probably the strongest thing Dante ever faced, Trish was very surprised that he defeated the phantom.

& are you serious about that analogy? Griffon meant Dante had more variety of power?

ok I'll quote from the manual:

The son of the dark knight Sparda, Dante is the hero who defeated the demon emperor and sealed off the demon world, saving all of humanity. Now making his living tracking down demons as a Devil Hunter, his illustrious career of fighting demons that to threaten humanity has made him a truly superior warrior. Some say that his skill and power have surpassed even that of the legendary Sparda himself.

that means not just Griffon, more people said he became more powerful, now in DMC4 it is arguable, but in DMC2, he is A GOD, by killing A DEMON GOD with a single charged shot.

ok, if you would be disappointed if Sparda's powers would be tuned down, then why aren't you disappointed that you can't kill Echinda (the forest conquerer) & Berial (conquerer of the fire hell) in one shot? or defeat an army of Dagons using Pandora? or actually DANTE DYING by a few blows from the lesser demons??

moseslmpg

KOH, please stop making "facts" up, and respond in PM if you want to continue the discussion. Otherwise stick to the topic of this thread.

Back on topic:
ok, if you would be disappointed if Sparda's powers would be tuned down, then why aren't you disappointed that you can't kill Echinda (the forest conquerer) & Berial (conquerer of the fire hell) in one shot? or defeat an army of Dagons using Pandora? or actually DANTE DYING by a few blows from the lesser demons??
I'm not sure if I understand your point here. You seem to be assuming that Dante is alredy more powerful than Sparda, which doesn't follow.

Starting from the assumption that Sparda is super powerful (even if you don't believe it), they would have to tone him down very much to play as him. The reason I am not disappointed in regular DMC games is because Dante isn't anywhere near as powerful as Sparda, so he is hardly toned down at all except for gameplay reasons. It is strange that he can die, but again, that is a gameplay issue. Sparda would be incapable of dying, as it would cause a time paradox anyway.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
When we talk about dying in a video game, it's always non-canon when a main character dies. So the time paradox thing holds no water, so to speak.

And Dante can die from excessive trauma. He can only take so much before his regeneration abilities begin to falter.

moseslmpg

DreadnoughtDT;264242 said:
When we talk about dying in a video game, it's always non-canon when a main character dies. So the time paradox thing holds no water, so to speak.

It isn't always actually. If you are playing as the character in the present time, they are allowed to die, and of course if they are supposed to die in the story, it is fine. But if you are playing as someone in the past, they can't die or else the other games don't exist. I'm not saying the characters in a Sparda game would have to be invincible, I'm just saying it would be like MGS3.

And Dante can die from excessive trauma. He can only take so much before his regeneration abilities begin to falter.
I don't think being scratched by lesser demons counts as excessive trauma. It is never really explained how a bunch of Marionettes can kill you, but I don't think it has to be really. Maybe attacks from demons low his healing a little.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;264244 said:
I don't think being scratched by lesser demons counts as excessive trauma. It is never really explained how a bunch of Marionettes can kill you, but I don't think it has to be really. Maybe attacks from demons low his healing a little.

What people have suggested is that Dante can die from blood loss... Which, in all honesty, seems like it's workable.

moseslmpg

His wounds don't stay open long enough for him to lose that much blood though. It really depends on how his healing factor works. If his cell production responds to trauma, then presumably any loss of blood would elicit an immediate release of new blood cells from the marrow. This kind of healing would make him very susceptible to cancer though. If his healing only applies to organ tissue however, then it is possible he could die from blood loss.

I contemplated a subject like this a few years ago. There's no enough evidence to really decide on this, and superpowers are generally very vague.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
I exactly dont know, but wont it be better to post a thread of how Dante could die?.

EDIT: And yeah Sparda should have a prequel game, even IF needed, just 1 dowloable missions from PSN where you play as Sparda in his last fight againts Mundus.

BTW Free who will pay-to-play just one missions?

moseslmpg

Nah, we don't need a thread like that. I've seen them before, they're useless.

And if you think Sparda should only have a mission, you should vote no. I'd hate for Capcom to see this poll and decide a Sparda game is a good idea.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
I voted yes.

And put my suggestion to give some of the fans a idea of how was Sparda fight againts Mundus, because i know that more of one thousand fans of DMC want to see that epic battle.

moseslmpg

I don't deny that we should see that battle, but I don't think they can or should make an entire game for it. Considering that some people think Sparda is weaker than Dante, it won't be that epic of a battle anyway.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
I can deny or support that.

For me Dante will bemore powerful that Sparda if the Rebellion sword awakes "more".

And reaches a state like the Sparda sword that is made of both iron(of HELL) and a strange biological material that reminds me of Argosax.

King of Hell

Must Die
he reached the power to awaken himself without a Devil Arm, as seen in DMC2, his devil form has wings, built in Gatling Gun, & two long swords, & in this form he cannot be harmed in any way.
& I didn't say Sparda is weaker than Dante, nor the opposite, I said they're very close in power, & I didn't make up any fact, read the manual, even the strategy guide says the same thing. if people say he may have surpassed his father's power, then that means they're very close.

moseslmpg

King of Hell;264255 said:
& I didn't say Sparda is weaker than Dante,

Yes, you did say that actually. You can scroll up and see where you posted that several times, or I can point it our for you.

if people say he may have surpassed his father's power, then that means they're very close.
That is hearsay. Hearsay and rumors are not confirmation by any means. People say that reptilian aliens runs a corrupt shadow world government, but that doesn't mean they do.

Regardless if their power is equal or not, a Sparda game would have inconsistencies that would make it either incredulous in terms of story, or unfulfilling in terms of gameplay. Like I said, it would be better to read a Sparda novel than have a game for him.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
moseslmpg;264246 said:
His wounds don't stay open long enough for him to lose that much blood though. It really depends on how his healing factor works. If his cell production responds to trauma, then presumably any loss of blood would elicit an immediate release of new blood cells from the marrow. This kind of healing would make him very susceptible to cancer though. If his healing only applies to organ tissue however, then it is possible he could die from blood loss.

I contemplated a subject like this a few years ago. There's no enough evidence to really decide on this, and superpowers are generally very vague.

I go with the idea he can theoretically die from blood loss because of this statement: "You are wounded and weak. Even I can do this to you";

Implying that enough physical wounds/fatigue/blood loss would eventually bring Dante down - essentially he suffers the same problems a human would with regard injury, except that his wounds heal extremely fast and that serious impalements don't seem to bother him too much for long. It's implied that Dante and Vergil would have taken Arkham down if they hadn't beaten the crap out of each other before he turned up, and that their tiredness/pain/blood loss/injury meant that they were very much physically weakened, even if their injuries had healed up. So it's probably his quick healing ability that saves his ass, and/or an ability to remake blood at an advanced rate. Or - that as long as there's still a drop of 'demon' blood in there, he'll stay living, even if out for the count... the term 'blood' being used a lot in the series to denote his power and lineage. Some special property of his blood seems plausible, although he can obviously bleed that blood quite easily - I'd suggest his rate of 'demonic healing' is proportional to the amount of blood he's got left, which'd mean it'd be far easier to kill him and his healing would be slower after he's had a good thrashing, and explains why full-on impalement doesn't kill him at the points it occurs in the games, except when Yamato owns him after a fight with Vergil.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Having a prequel game featuring Sparda will be awesome. I would love to see how Sparda met Eva, rebelled against Mundus, and other things. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom