• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What would you most like to see next?

What would you most like to see next?

• Total voters

Kaim Argonar

You make a solid point but to be honest, I don't think there much of a connection between DMC1 and 4 either. Their Dante's are even radically different despite having Trish there imho. I feel that each Dante is made without the previous incarnation in mind aside from 3 and 4.

I'll be honest, I'm not all familiar with DMC2 Dante hate. Rather that after DMC3 fans consider that Dante as the "definitive" so the word emo gets used a lot for the first Dante and the word poser for the second. It's pretty wacky.

Now onto your question. Nothing too ground breaking happened in DMC2 besides Lucia and Dante's location. Fitting Nero would require some pacing. Honestly the have tons of material to work with. DMC2 shows us Arius was a scientist.

The Final Offer

But Dante is a very different guy in DMC2 than he is in DMC4, when Nero is introduced. How would Capcom explain Dante's change in personality? Or would they just retcon what happened in DMC2? Would they pretend DMC2's plot didn't actually happen, or what?
I'm asking this because people really didn't like the DMC2 incarnation of Dante, and they didn't particularly care for the other characters either. Even its story was considered pretty 'meh'. Capcom pretty much ignores DMC2 any chance they get. How would a sequel to DMC2 with Dante and Nero work?

The solution to the problem of Dante's personality should be the darkest of scenarios for Dante.

Trish is dead (Dante keeps her motorcycle around)
Mary is dead.
Nero is dead and after his death Yamato was used to open the portal to Hell. Dante sealed it back up and yet different types of evil were unleashed before he could.

Dante simply just tries to be joyful in such a dark world. Though we all know Dante doesn't seem to enjoy faking emotions.

The final attempt at opening the demon portal succeeds and Dante finally realizes he has to stop this at the source. He has no choice but at least there's a chance he could see a familiar face.

Kaim Argonar

(Cont.)
For example. PLOT TWIST: Arius once worked alongside Agnus in Fortuna. His greed for the dark arts and demonology led him to create his first artificial demon Chi (Lucia) which was both a success and failure as she had too much free will. Members of the OotS tried to keep his years of work a secret but Chi would later escape, leading Sanctus to shun Arius and kick him out. It isn't until they discover Nero amongst other things left behind by Arius. They were going to dispose of Nero but a young Kyrie finds him first and confuses him for just another orphan boy. Sanctus seeing Kyrie and Credo start to grow attached and seeing how they considered Chi a failure, Nero wasn't a threat to them to though. So he went along with the lie. Sanctus would later be influenced by Arius' work to create "Angels", Nero wasn't kept tabs on as they failed to notice Yamato breaks the same day Nero's arm awakens, Arius would later take over an entire business with his work.

Something like that I guess. Lol

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
You make a solid point but to be honest, I don't think there much of a connection between DMC1 and 4 either. Their Dante's are even radically different despite having Trish there imho. I feel that each Dante is made without the previous incarnation in mind aside from 3 and 4.

I'll be honest, I'm not all familiar with DMC2 Dante hate. Rather that after DMC3 fans consider that Dante as the "definitive" so the word emo gets used a lot for the first Dante and the word poser for the second. It's pretty wacky.

Now onto your question. Nothing too ground breaking happened in DMC2 besides Lucia and Dante's location. Fitting Nero would require some pacing. Honestly the have tons of material to work with. DMC2 shows us Arius was a scientist.
Yeah, I guess you're right. They could just ignore DMC2 Dante, just like they did with DMC1 Dante. They could just pretend that Dante had a depressive episode in DMC2 or something. :laugh:

I don't even know anymore. I thought maybe they could continue from the end of DMC1 on, but that would mean DMC4 never happened, and I think DMC4 is fine in terms of plot. I quite liked Nero, in fact. Or maybe somehow they could retcon stuff and make the official canon timeline: DMC3, DMC4, DMC1, DMC2? That way, maybe they can retcon DMC1, so that it's got Dante (with the personality we know from DMC3 and DMC4) and Nero in it. But then, if they did that, Nero Angelo's (Vergil's) existence would not make sense. After all, Nero has Vergil's spirit inside the Yamato, which means he's dead.
Unless they somehow explain that Vergil is still alive as Nelo Angelo (in DMC1), but part of his soul is inside the Yamato. Then maybe Nero could fight Nelo Angelo. That sounds kind of fun, but honestly, retconning DMC1 would make people angry.

Aaargh. You're right; maybe they should just continue from the end of DMC2 on. At least that way there will be no additional plotholes. No more than the ones we already have. And the story would continue too.

Kaim Argonar

Yeah, I guess you're right. They could just ignore DMC2 Dante, just like they did with DMC1 Dante. They could just pretend that Dante had a depressive episode in DMC2 or something. :laugh:

I don't even know anymore. I thought maybe they could continue from the end of DMC1 on, but that would mean DMC4 never happened, and I think DMC4 is fine in terms of plot. I quite liked Nero, in fact. Or maybe somehow they could retcon stuff and make the official canon timeline: DMC3, DMC4, DMC1, DMC2? That way, maybe they can retcon DMC1, so that it's got Dante (with the personality we know from DMC3 and DMC4) and Nero in it. But then, if they did that, Nero Angelo's (Vergil's) existence would not make sense. After all, Nero has Vergil's spirit inside the Yamato, which means he's dead.
Unless they somehow explain that Vergil is still alive as Nelo Angelo (in DMC1), but part of his soul is inside the Yamato. Then maybe Nero could fight Nelo Angelo. That sounds kind of fun, but honestly, retconning DMC1 would make people angry.

Aaargh. You're right; maybe they should just continue from the end of DMC2 on. At least that way there will be no additional plotholes. No more than the ones we already have. And the story would continue too.
Hehe It's a s*** storm ain't it? My example is just one of many. Like he said^ It's almost fan fiction at this point.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Im cool with Berto's idea of a brand new direction since I'm not really fond of the anime and 4 but I'm not 100% for it since I think its a good idea to clean up some of the mess left behind(good way to get the fans back on your side).

Plus we got all these plotholes/confusion/unresolved tension since the writers never learned how to either make a clean break or tie things together.

So ideally you would resolve 2/4 or both and build up trust so with dmc6 you would go sail in uncharted waters.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think they should continue from the end of DMC 2. The characters to be Dante, Nero, Lucia, Kyrie and Trish. And let you play as Lucia and Trish in a separate edition of the game. The story to focus on 'getting' Dante out of Hell. Along the way we find out about Nero. And they could make you have to face Dante as a boss because he's started to go mad, having been stuck in Hell. As if his demonic side comes out as too demonic for him and he feels like he is changing into a monster. Would be quite gritty to see Dante in a state like that.

Also I have mentioned the idea before as have a few others. But definitely add customisation into the game. Such as weapon, clothing and skills and abilities.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I would like Vergil to come back. He's cool as hell and almost as iconic as Dante, and even though his end was worthy of his character in DMC3, I found his disappearance pretty lackluster in DMC.
I realize though, that it would be extremely difficult to make him come back without screwing the story. Pretty sad, still.

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
Either a continuation of DMC4 or where they left off on DMC2 to have proper closure.

As long as it's not a sequel to that mediocre reboot, I'm okay.

Top Bottom