• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you think about Brexit?

Skagewid

For those who don't know, yesterday in UK it has been done a referendum to exit from EU . "Yes" won.
Now, for me the problem is when I will graduate and I will search a job. Being me Italian , I always have wanted to work in the UK, but with it out from EU , the probability to have a job in that country get down around to zero.
What do you think about Brexit? Is it right or wrong?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It wasn't "wrong" as it was a democratic vote. But whether it was a sound decision remains (ha) to be seen.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
They had their reason. Probably want to hang with US more than with EU. Especially that EU lacks confidence in their own decision.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If the movie "Love Actually" taught me anything about England, I think after a while, they will all go to the airport and everything will be ok.

With that joke out of the way, time to get serious.

I guess early 20th century nationalism is making a comeback. *sigh*

The Brexit compounded with Trump emphasizes an uncomfortable truth: humans are messy, fearful creatures. Civility and kindness are triumphs.

It was a really bad decision. The 5th largest economy just left an economic union that is its main trading partner. Trade will obviously go down since you have to pay import tariffs. With the UK leaving, the EU will take a massive hit, which is no bueno when you consider the fact that it's the biggest economy in the world. The EU is the biggest trading partner for China and the US, which will also mean that China and our economy will suffer a big backlash from a destabilised EU.

They done f*cked up.

Skagewid

According to an article by a popular Italian magazine that I've just read, the negative repercussions would be both internal and external to the UK :
-Higher rates for international exchange , with a lowering of the country's exports;
-Less money to research and other sectors : the EU gave to UK 20 billion of dollars of funds , and it lost also scientific collaborations, to not mention the cuts that will now stand up ( such as movies and TV series ).
-Less travel into it , with passaport problems ;
-Intern problem with Scotland for differences of view.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I think what we need most of all, is a strong leader who can unite the country.

David Cameron really screwed the pooch on this one, and I can't say I'm sorry to see him go.

As I understand it, wasn't he against leaving the EU? Aside from that, I confess I only know a little about it, thanks to one of my British friends telling me about it a few weeks ago.

The economy is going to take a hit, there's no doubt about that. I think both sides of the argument had good cause, but ultimately, the timing was poor. Leaving would have been best considered if finances hadn't been on such tenuous ground. But then again, when isn't the economy ****? Hopefully whoever takes the reins can set things to rights--or as right as possible. :/

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
RULE BRITANNIA.

BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES.

----

The final results from Thursday's referendum showed that 51.9% voted to leave the EU versus 48.1% that voted for Britain to stay within the EU. That contained 17,410,742 votes for Leave and 16,141,241 votes for Remain.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cameron-to-resign-2016-6

----

http://www.businessinsider.com/brex...mic-and-social-analysis-and-whats-next-2016-6

Seenalot wrote:

She lost me with this - "The forecasts were unanimous: Brexit would wreck the economy, according to everyone from the UK Treasury , the International Monetary Fund , the OECD , several independent research houses , and the banks."

Not true. Besides she has listed the very entities that people are railing against. Hollande got it right when he said the EU must change so that it is understood and connected to the people. Britain will be fine. Scotland and N. Ireland will relize their choice is to stay with England or become part of the walking dead (EU) -- they will choose to stay with England imo.

----

Brexit is the real thing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/market-animal-spirits-gone-after-brexit-vote-2016-6

----
----
----
----
----

BIGOTRY. RACISM. JINGOISM. BLARGH.

COLLECTIVISM AND GLOBALISM GOOD.

NATIONALISM AND SOVEREIGNTY EVIL.

13439180_10153604730126053_5017858910161985165_n.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-comment-half-of-britain-2016-6

----

SO, I GUESS WE'RE ALLOWED TO BE A DEMOCRACY ONLY AS LONG AS WE VOTE FOR THE THINGS YOU WANT RIGHT??

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
It's interesting really, a lot of panicky reporting is going on and the odd highlighted interview with someone regretting their vote to leave...but once the dust settles, I don't really see a great upheaval happening on the scale that the doomsayers are anticipating.

Economically there will be some repercussions but people are conveniently forgetting that the pound is only slightly below what is was when Lehman Brothers ballsed things up in 2009. Most of the reactions are very much knee jerk right now and don't forget it will be a minimum of two years before we actually leave.

Interestingly, the decision to leave has highlighted cracks and tensions in the EU which were previously hidden or squashed down. This is a fantastic opportunity for the rest of the EU to change some of their less palatable legislation and directives to ensure other countries do not hold similar referendums. Had the vote been to remain, this probably would never have happened. I think a shift in power and autonomy is essential for the EU to remain successful.

Couldn't care less about Cameron - never liked the man, never voted for him, so it's a win for me that he's off. So long as Michael Gove doesn't get in, I don't care too much at this stage.

I voted leave. It angers me that people in the Remain camp have tarred all Leavers with the racist brush. My reasons for voting were nothing to do with immigration. There is an issue there, certainly, but the EU has made it very difficult to organise a suitable means of ensuring that we care for those seeking asylum but stop the economy being drained in the process.

Critics have stated it has been a sad day for democracy. I disagree. Indeed it has been a strong day in that we have been allowed to exercise our right to vote, be heard and then be obliged. That is democratic. The people have spoken and the results shall be honoured.

What isn't democratic, to me, is some unelected elite in Brussels telling us what we can and cannot do as a nation within our own borders. Juncker actually all but threatened us if we chose to leave - that is wrong on every level to me.

The scaremongering will carry on for a while and then things will calm down and we will see what happens.

I'm happy with my vote.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Angel: I also voted leave, and I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I think there was definitely scaremongering to try and persuade people to stay in the EU.

I'm not fussed about Cameron leaving either. I never voted for him so couldn't care less. I thought it was obvious he would resign if the referendum didn't go in his favour (much like most politicians do when they lose campaigns), so here it was no different.

There'll be some people that'll regret voting to leave, but there'll also be some people that voted to remain but end up thinking leaving was the better option. Either way, it's an historic moment for the UK. I don't believe that things will be as bad as some people are saying, and I don't regret my decision.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
"Make Britain... Great Britain again!"

At the end of this campaign, I think you’ll agree there is a very clear choice between those on their side, who speak of nothing but fear of leaving the EU, and we on our side, who offer hope – between those who’ve been endlessly rubbishing our country and running it down, and those of us who believe in Britain.

They say we can’t do it. We say we can. They say we have no choice but to bow down to Brussels. We say they are woefully underestimating this country and what it can do.

If we vote “Leave,” we can take back control of our borders, of huge sums of money – tens of billions of pounds a year net – of our tax-raising powers, of our trade policies and of our whole lawmaking system – the democracy that is the foundation of our prosperity.

And if we stand up for democracy, we will be speaking up for hundreds of millions of people around Europe who agree with us, but who currently have no voice.

And if we vote “Leave” and take back control, I believe that this Thursday can be our country’s “Independence Day.”

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=55058

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
America, despite warnings to the contrary, are now saying they will respect our decision and continue working with us. I think considering the UK is such a huge economical power, the rest of the EU would be barking mad to try and screw us over entirely during the leave negotiations. If it really gets that petty, then it only serves to highlight how right it was to leave in the first place.

Those freaking out about their precious foreign holidays need to pull themselves together a bit though - be upset about the essentials if you're going to be upset at all concerning Brexit.

It's a real shame how aggressive some of the Remainers are being in some areas - same thing happened in Scotland not too long ago. And the keyboard warriors are out in force on social media too.

We managed before the EU. We will manage again. We are not leaving Europe, just the undemocratic way the EU conducts itself. We're also not suddenly going to become some Stone-Age country refusing to cooperate or move onwards with others. We are still a part of NATO. We still have strong commercial ties. We still have relationships with other countries which can be fostered, nurtured and expanded upon regardless of our status.

We are still powerful. But now, hopefully, we can be empowered rather than being overridden on things because some bloke in Brussels says so.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
We managed before the EU. We will manage again. We are not leaving Europe, just the undemocratic way the EU conducts itself.
Wait, so you guys aren't gonna float away? The news kinda said you guys were detaching yourselves from Europe. I was hoping you'd float over here. I have never been and want to see the big clock.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I totally agree with Angel on this. One of my foreign friends thought we were actually going to regress into a third world country. Sure things will be hard at first, but Rome wasn't built in a day and we will need to clench our teeth and keep carrying on.

I have never been and want to see the big clock.
At least you didn't call it "Big Ben." :thumbsup:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Wait, so you guys aren't gonna float away? The news kinda said you guys were detaching yourselves from Europe. I was hoping you'd float over here. I have never been and want to see the big clock.
Anchors are still firmly attached, I'm afraid. At least that's how I envisage islands staying where they are...

Ah, the Big Clock. Going to be silent all of next year so no point in seeing it. It won't be doing anything.

EDIT: with reference to all the Nigel Farage/UKIP stuff I just want to publicly distance myself from that right now. That party and that man are not representing me or my views. I think UKIP is potentially a dangerous organisation.

Top Bottom