• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh wow, it's been a long time since someone has made a sig for me... My last three have all been handmade.

Reactions: Meg

Meg

Oh wow, it's been a long time since someone has made a sig for me... My last three have all been handmade.
Your last three have been nice regardless. ;) Now then. *cracks knuckles* It's been awhile since I made someone a sig. This feels good. ^_^

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I agree with you that some of the best characters, like Harry Potter, are like a Sue, and that an author can only write from his or her own life experience; but when the characters are blatanly matching the author's profile description of hair, eyes and clothing; poorly written, angst-riddden, over-sexed and overpowered...that's when I bring out the Mary-Sue label. Not for well written ones with a decent backstory that don't disregard the cannon and make characters fight for their love....so you're right, I guess my complaint is about the writers themselves....and to a degree their creations because they are an extension of the writer.

Got to admit, the Mary-Sue thing puts me off writing. I guess you have to start somewhere, but...I'd never want to make a Sue by mistake...

I suppose that's true. I guess it's probably also what we think of as a Mary Sue (I always just thought it was someone who was perfect in everway, with an unrealistically tragic past, who everyone loved/hated for no real reason). And, to be honest, a well-done self-instert amuses the heck out of me. *also likes AUs* Do you mind it when it's realistically paced or written in a way to show the transition away from canon. *nods*
It does me, as well. :/ And, to be honest, I'm terrified all of my characters are.

-raises eyebrow-

Erm...erm...meep! *hides*

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So, really, what people are complaining about is the writer...not the characters.

Besides...aren't all characters extensions of the writer? Just because they don't look like you or act like you, doesn't mean they aren't still a part of you. *mutters*
Exactly!
Most characters are self-inserts of the kind of people the writer wish they could be. This could swing both ways - a person who has always been good and cautious could write about a reckless rebel, or vice versa. It's true that you should write what you know, but sometimes imagination really is all you need (I mean this for characters and character development, naught else). And RESEARCH, as Autumn said.

I dislike all my female OC's in fandoms. They're either overbearing or just on a fangirl high disguised as pheromones and haughtiness. They drive me nuts! I've been cutting back on using them as the main characters in fanfiction and putting them in the safer slot of secondary characters instead. As in, I'll use you when I need to push the plot, type of thing.
I prefer the fanfics that don't have female OC's trampling through the place.

And I especially, really do loathe, female OC's in the DMC fandom. (With the exception of Nite, and Twig, though that goes without saying) Damsels in distress or 'I'm just an ordinary girl in a not-so-ordinary world tralala' or sleazy 'I'm awesome' devil hunter chics - no matter what kind of character they start out with, they always inevitably end up in some sick, romantic relationship with Dante.And the worst of it? DANTE FALLS FOR THEM!!!

WTF? The guy who prefers his own company? Er...no. I ship Dante x Kat (big time) now because the foundation for an actual relationship (or friendship at the very least) has been laid out really well by NT. This is more acceptable and probable in my mind, than Dante x Lady. She's a total bitch to him in the anime and she didn't dig him in DMC3. She DIDN'T. Maybe Dante was trying his luck but she was obviously not interested, as the bullet in his head would attest. I could never understand where people got this 'intense chemistry' between them from.

I'm not hypocritical either. I have a total of four OC's in my DMC fics - one is an alternate universe little sister of the twins whom I am using for the sole purpose of bringing the plot together, one is a friend of AU Dante whom I have written out of the story after starring in like, 3 chapters, another is some random background character I used for the fun of adding a little angst to the mix, and the last is a typical Mary Sue who gets stuck in a love triangle of sorts. Guess which one I hate the most? Yep, the last one. My goal, however, is not to indulge in fandom fluff but to show how I think female OC's should be done in this fandom. And, of course, what should be done to all those irritating copies of copies of copies of Mary Sues.

As my muse has come to say, if you're not Kat, gtfo.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
And I especially, really do loathe, female OC's in the DMC fandom. (With the exception of Nite, and Twig, though that goes without saying) Damsels in distress or 'I'm just an ordinary girl in a not-so-ordinary world tralala' or sleazy 'I'm awesome' devil hunter chics - no matter what kind of character they start out with, they always inevitably end up in some sick, romantic relationship with Dante.And the worst of it? DANTE FALLS FOR THEM!!!
That's usually the choice you get with that kind of thing. Or a half (insert magical/ supernatural being here) human.
The worst are ones that include sexual abuse as a plot device. That kind of thing really put me off reading OC stuff. Why do predominantly teen girls think this sort of situation is a good idea for a fan fiction?
However, I do get a giggle out of badly written romantic sex where the writer clearly has no real life experience and think that sex will automatically make the main character fall in love with their Sue. :shifty: Harry Potter fandom is worst for this. Fics full of badly written sex, a story with no plot and just sex....a story that was written purely to lead up to a 7 page sex scene...>_< Now I remember why I gave up on Harry Potter.....

I'm now wondering, considering some of the fondness for villains being pared with a Sue....will there now be a load of weird Mundus with Sue art and fictions?:'(

Then again, to me, Lilith is DmCs own Mary Sue creation:troll: She just screams 'Mary Sue!' to me. Especially when her first line basically says she's his bitch....wanting him to screw her...ultimate goal of having villain baby to gain power and love from said villain....at least Lilith gets what's comming to her.:p

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I've learned quite a bit about writer terminology from this thread :p

Ehh, I'm in one of those indecisive moods. I want to do stuff, but I want to do other stuff too, then I just sit there for ages not doing anything as I think about all the stuff I could be doing.

Oh goddess, I have a bad habit of doing that for HOURS on end. I really need to NOT do it when it's 15 minutes before I have to go to work. ._.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Cleaning my room and I remember I've got this beautiful medevael-style gown my former stepfather absolutely DESTROYED by stupidly throwing it in the washing machine. $400...wasted. I really don't want to throw it away, though (it's Christmas present from over 5 years ago and one of the last presents I got with help from my Nana). But it's just taking up space. :S I don't know what to---Oh! I know! I'll make it into a pattern. =D

CT:
yCEzK2V.png

This needs to stop Youtube. You know my email address and that's it.
More importantly, why does Solid Snake have his bandanna over his eyes?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
All war is fought with deception, and you have been deceived.
~Vergil, DmC
"All the better," Sparda said with half a smirk. "Listen to your gut. And when you see her, remember," he gave Nero's shoulder a squeeze and narrowed his eyes, "truth is the first casualty of war."
~ Sparda, The Order of Sparda
The f-??
THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!
FFS I'm going to quit fanfiction if this BS carries on.

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
Thinking....

So, people think its funny to mess with my heart now is it?....
Would you like a knuckle sandwich, or would you prefer the smack down soufflé?....
Honestly, the nerve of some people, I give my heart and my everything to them, only to be trodden all over, cheated, lied and looked badly upon....
I'm sick of it, every time this happens, I fall into darkness and start thinking suicide thoughts, then after a while I calm down and become my normal spiritual self...
But now, this is really starting to p*ss me off, if this happens again, good bye Miss lovely wonderful girl, hello to the b*tch from down under who's gonna make your life a living misery.....

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Exactly!
Most characters are self-inserts of the kind of people the writer wish they could be. This could swing both ways - a person who has always been good and cautious could write about a reckless rebel, or vice versa. It's true that you should write what you know, but sometimes imagination really is all you need (I mean this for characters and character development, naught else). And RESEARCH, as Autumn said.

I dislike all my female OC's in fandoms. They're either overbearing or just on a fangirl high disguised as pheromones and haughtiness. They drive me nuts! I've been cutting back on using them as the main characters in fanfiction and putting them in the safer slot of secondary characters instead. As in, I'll use you when I need to push the plot, type of thing.

WTF? The guy who prefers his own company? Er...no. I ship Dante x Kat (big time) now because the foundation for an actual relationship (or friendship at the very least) has been laid out really well by NT. This is more acceptable and probable in my mind, than Dante x Lady. She's a total bitch to him in the anime and she didn't dig him in DMC3. She DIDN'T. Maybe Dante was trying his luck but she was obviously not interested, as the bullet in his head would attest. I could never understand where people got this 'intense chemistry' between them from.

I'm not hypocritical either. I have a total of four OC's in my DMC fics - one is an alternate universe little sister of the twins whom I am using for the sole purpose of bringing the plot together, one is a friend of AU Dante whom I have written out of the story after starring in like, 3 chapters, another is some random background character I used for the fun of adding a little angst to the mix, and the last is a typical Mary Sue who gets stuck in a love triangle of sorts. Guess which one I hate the most? Yep, the last one. My goal, however, is not to indulge in fandom fluff but to show how I think female OC's should be done in this fandom. And, of course, what should be done to all those irritating copies of copies of copies of Mary Sues.

Thanks DS...*hugs*
I don't get LadyxVergil... she hates demons! (also he called her a little girl) And, unless Dante likes tough love, I don't think he'd touch Lady with a barge pole :lol: I love DantexKat though.
Also, i tend not to read fanfics.

GREAT... my achievements are frozen on my 360. Tried playing CSI last night and one didn't unlock, the list is stuck on Sonic Adventure... is this some odd way of banning me?

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Just missed my subway stop bc I was checking on this forum... I'm suck an idiot.... :ermm:

Btw,
Exactly!

I could quote everything you said, except for the fact that I'm more of a VergilxKat fan (yeah, I'm a dreamer...)

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Kinda sucks that I'm waiting to get a job just so I can buy a wardrobe that actually fits my style (and my body). And it's not cuz I can't afford it...it's cuz Gran won't take me shopping for something like that unless I can justify it. /==

Top Bottom