• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I've been meaning to get into this for a while, now.

28421168.jpg

I hesitated for 2 reasons, and both seem to be coming true to one degree or another (though I'm not too far into it yet):

1) I was afraid I'd see parallels with Static, and
2) I was likewise afraid I'd get hit with Imposter's Syndrome due to the writing being good.

Still, if it helps me to think more critically about my own work in order to better it and I get some enjoyment out of it at the same time, it's ultimately a win. :thumbsup:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I have that samurai book and it's ace. Absolutely love that time period and culture... Jonathan Clements is an absolute boss.

I knew you gave me some samurai/feudal Japan recs, just couldn't remember which ones. Guess I've got my answer. ^^

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Finally got started on this:

1138121.jpg

(I really, really want to re-read Neverwhere, so that's probably what I'll read next--long list of books I haven't yet read be damned. I need to feed this...well, need.)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Two things:

3361138.jpg

(I've finally reached the story I'm most invested in: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde).

And I'm listening to my first audiobook:

46841499._SX318_.jpg

Which I'm actually digging. It's nice to envision a story without causing anymore eyestrain than I deal with on a typical day, and the narrator's voice seems perfect for this type of story.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I bought Volumes 2/3/4 of the Sandman and finished reading Volume 2. It's pretty interesting/definitely scary.

"Potter's field" written by Mark Waid and art by Paul Azaceta. It centers on a mysterious detective who works to find out all the people who died in "potter's field" an unmarked graveyard in NYC.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I've read a few other things since the last time I posted here, but I'll just post what I'm currently reading (because lazy, lol).

26041694._SY475_.jpg

It's a mix of space opera and gangland thriller, and so far the writing is exceptional (or at least I think so).

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
"The Sherlock Holmes school of Self-Defence" by E.W Barton-Wright.

Quick history lesson, at the turn of the century a hundred and a bit years ago, a man named Barton-Wright created a form of Mixed-Martial Arts by combining grappling, striking and weapon use - which he called "Bartistu". A few years later, Conan-Doyle was figuring out how to bring Sherlock Holmes back to life in his books when he heard about this martial art and decided to incorporate it, but he famously misspelled it as "Baritsu".

Cut forward to about five or so years ago, and a publisher decided to ride the coattails of BBC's Sherlock's fame by publishing the essays Barton-Wright wrote about his martial art but framing it all around Sherlock, including the title obviously. It's quite telling (and feels somewhat disrespectful) that there's next to no mention of the author, but multiple to Sherlock and the book ends with a dedication (complete with big photo) to Arthur Conan-Doyle. :grumpy:

But other than that, the actual contents in which it talks about self-defence is good.

Top Bottom