• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Violence

aoshi

Actually it's more about violence being violence, not just specifically sexually related stuff, but all violence and how it's ignored a lot of the time.

Uh....No. Its about vergil killing lilith(a female demon).Also, example used in that video was to show violence towards female characters. Ofcourse, discussion branched off to violence in video-games. But still that does not make me sensitive to all AI.

chocolatepanda

The Duke scene was worse IMO, i didnt think the scene was that bad its not like the showed baby guts everywhere. After games like Dead Space and Dantes Inferno where babies you kill monster babies somewhat frequently(some people even stomp them in Dead Space) i dont see how DmC got any attention from that one scene that lacks the intense gore and violence of the others.

8BitHero

Scrub
As much as an arse as I might sound, I have too little time to be offended.
I honestly thought the scene of Lilliths baby being shot was disturbing but I didn't take offence to it. Lillith deserved it. She's a demon bringing the next heir to rule the world. There was context. The game didn't glorify it, and you could see all the thoughts going through Vergils head. There was a lot more to scene than people think.

It actually bothers me when people bring real world issues/values within a fictional universe. We've had this in media since the beginning man. In books, TV, film etc etc so it doesn't bother. I've just played through Lollipop Chainsaw which is a comedic gorefest but it still shows a chainsaw through the face.

I've never found games to be anywhere near as cringe worthy as films. Honestly, I can bust open a Locust head with the Longshot just fine but watching Saw makes me cringe. But I don't have a problem with it.
Good video though.

aoshi

We can't take any fiction literally. When i first saw the term SADDISTIC in style adjectives, I hated it. I mean, its not a positive adjective and i hate sadists. But , the term is used in demonic context, like dante took sick pleasure in killing demons. So yeah, anything in fiction cannot be taken literally but relate to context in which it is used.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Uh....No. Its about vergil killing lilith(a female demon).Also, example used in that video was to show violence towards female characters. Ofcourse, discussion branched off to violence in video-games. But still that does not make me sensitive to all AI.
I don't see what the fuss is about anyway, it was a joke after all. No need to be so pedantic about.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Dude i remember that when strippers was slaughterd at the club and duke was livid..... I would have thought he would say something better

The thing is that he did. Even in that video you can see the subtitles while Proxy is talking over it: Duke reacts to the death of the twins by flying into a blind rage and demanding vengeance on the alien queen as well as every last alien he sees. You see, despite the crass, distasteful and downright unfunny tone of Forever, Duke still reacts to the rape and murder of thousands of women by getting really angry.

Because it's the villians who did it. By committing this atrocity the game goads the player into seeing the game through and exacting gory revenge on their adversaries, because that's what villains do.

DNF went disgustingly too far and downright fetishized it, thereby putting most players out of their comfort zone, which only exacerbated the games already towering, inescapable problems, but ignoring the "You're ****ed" line it's an effective scene in making the player emotionally participate in what's happening.

If you want an example of such a scene done well, with a female character and far less misogeny, look no further than Half Life 2: Episode 1.

...although HL loses points for being less interactive.

Look at me, arguing DNF's case. Devil's May Advocate.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yea that scene, watched and I think it was done by NT for shock value. Really doesn't make sense to me for Vergil to shoot her and put Kat, Dante and himself in more danger then they already were.

I don't agree that it was for shock value. The demon spawn is an heir to Mundus, and would at some point become just as much of a threat to the world as Mundus is. Similar to the "who will take Mundus' place when he's removed from power," Vergil was removing a threat from the equation, along with Lilith, who could just try to make another one. Knowing this, how are you to go about doing something like that? Would you have rather had Vergil take Lilith to an abortion clinic and get it done all official-like? And then shoot her in the head...? DmC is still a Mature-rated game about demons and killing, and even the old series wasn't above people being chopped up, shot, and straight up impaled - sometimes for dramatic effect. Why did Alastor need to impale Dante? Couldn't they have written it so the sword didn't need to do that? Couldn't they have written Dante killing Sanctus differently, instead of him flying in and shooting a very human-looking pope? Yes, they could have written things differently, but they didn't want to, because they had a specific idea in mind. Why is DmC not allowed to have something similar related to its story happen, that fits with the more mature tone in place?

Plus, Dante and Vergil being Nephilim, they can surely handle a human SWAT team with ease (spoilerstheytotallydid).

I don't suspect Vergil knew that Mundus would level a city block in anger, but hey, when you're blinded by your own selfish goals, you tend not to think of the consequences beyond your reasons for doing what you did. Granted, I wouldn't think a guy who runs the world through deceit and subtlety would do something as conspicuous as level a city block :p

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
i dont see how DmC got any attention from that one scene that lacks the intense gore and violence of the others.

C'mon, it's DmC. People are complaining about it because it's yet another thing about DmC to complain about instead of doing something constructive in life.

Alphonse

C'mon, it's DmC. People are complaining about it because it's yet another thing about DmC to complain about instead of doing something constructive in life.

If people honestly don't know how to distinguish between fantasy action in games and real life then there really is no point in even in even entertaining these people. I Honestly find it funny, if people spent half the time they do being constructive as opposed to trying to bring this game down....we would have a lot of constructive minded people lol.

The good and bad thing about the internet is EVERYBODY has a voice

Drake

I don't agree that it was for shock value. The demon spawn is an heir to Mundus, and would at some point become just as much of a threat to the world as Mundus is. Similar to the "who will take Mundus' place when he's removed from power," Vergil was removing a threat from the equation, along with Lilith, who could just try to make another one. Knowing this, how are you to go about doing something like that? Would you have rather had Vergil take Lilith to an abortion clinic and get it done all official-like? And then shoot her in the head...? DmC is still a Mature-rated game about demons and killing, and even the old series wasn't above people being chopped up, shot, and straight up impaled - sometimes for dramatic effect. Why did Alastor need to impale Dante? Couldn't they have written it so the sword didn't need to do that? Couldn't they have written Dante killing Sanctus differently, instead of him flying in and shooting a very human-looking pope? Yes, they could have written things differently, but they didn't want to, because they had a specific idea in mind. Why is DmC not allowed to have something similar related to its story happen, that fits with the more mature tone in place?

Plus, Dante and Vergil being Nephilim, they can surely handle a human SWAT team with ease (spoilerstheytotallydid).

I don't suspect Vergil knew that Mundus would level a city block in anger, but hey, when you're blinded by your own selfish goals, you tend not to think of the consequences beyond your reasons for doing what you did. Granted, I wouldn't think a guy who runs the world through deceit and subtlety would do something as conspicuous as level a city block :p
I always seen the Alastor scene as a way of showing Dante overcoming its power, the sword does have a devil's soul and would attack him. Dante killing Sanctus is done for Nero's point of view, of course us as the audience know that Dante doesn't kill humans. But with Nero he has no idea of whats going on and just thinks Dante is a murder. With Dmc the shooting of Lilith seems more counter productive to getting Kat back safely, I know her child is a threat to them but it would have made more sense to let the trade go down. Also Dante and Vergil could have taken the swat team, but Kat who is 100% human is in the middle of gunfire and in the most danger.

TheNoHeartedBeing

When Vergil killed the baby and lilith i didnt really care to be honest. I was like Dante "What the ****?" then i got over it. I mean just before that scene we were slashing lilith and her baby. That baby isn't no regular. That thing is gruesome. Also about this Duke Nukem game. I dont like rape at all. I dont think anyone here does. I do find the rape scene more offensive than the DEMON BABY THAT TRIED TO KILL YOU getting shot. Every time i think of rape i think of Pyramid head.

KaizenShio

Umm i Feel that this thread is only harping on the 2 instances in the vid. listen to what the man is saying this goes far beyond that... its fine to use it a reference but in no way is he trying to be an "ANTI DMC ACTIVIST"

AlchemistFromEden

I don't know what's the big deal with Lilith being shot. Seriously, that video is probably another excuse made by another hater to keep hating the game, so he keep getting more views and haters can use another video against us...It's getting old and obviously is blown out of proportion, considering she isn't even human at first place.

Madworld, all GTA games, Nightmare Creatures 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat...All these games make DmC looking like Bananas in Pyjamas. As for Duke Nukem, well, the women were already dead anyway. Everyone knows Duke's personality.

Nothing more to comment about this video, besides the hipocrisy and clear double standard regarding violence.
brett hicks is a huge anti who doesn't do anything with his time and consideres having a job a social life, best not to listen to ANYTHING that guy says

ChaserTech

brett hicks is a huge anti who doesn't do anything with his time and consideres having a job a social life, best not to listen to ANYTHING that guy says

. . . The video is basically agreeing with what Devil Player said.

Brett talks about how The Trade scene stirred up a lot of controversy yet the Duke Nukem scene with girls being raped by aliens and exploded into chunks. He also talks about that he found the Duke Nukem scene more offensive to the DmC scene. He does not complain about the actual scenes, rather than the responses from people. He's literally saying "Why get mad at this when there were worse things in gaming history?" He even talks about the scene where Dante is getting Mundus angry by explaining in detail how his spawn died and says it makes sense.

Also, just because you personally don't like Brett, that doesn't mean it gives you the reason to automatically disprove anything and everything that he has to say.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

Goddammit dude, you need to lighten the hell up.

He doesn't care for DmC, but he's essentially defending the game by saying that what happens in it isn't anything that should be focused on, because there are worse things in other entertainment mediums.

I actually had a nice conversation with the guy today while watching that video of his. He doesn't like the game, big whoop, but he's still more receptive to peoples' opinions and thoughts on the matter than you are.

Top Bottom