• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vampyr

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...-vampyr-from-the-team-behind-life-is-strange/

This game looks extremely interesting, what do you think? I especially love this segment:

"We wanted to tell a truly gothic story about vampires – a far cry from the GLITTERY VAMPIRES you see on TV and in movies nowadays. The mood had to be just right."

Nice jab. And goddamn they got my esteem for that.

EDIT:
Some images.

23449991265_bbb32b668c_b.jpg

23367473651_5a9eca89fd_b.jpg

23154186070_82e263b488_b.jpg

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Since the info were published on the PlayStation blog, I was fearing it was a PS exclusive but nope, it's gonna come on PC and Xbox One too.

So my hype is stronger now. Can't wait to see some footage of this! May this game make vampires cool again. Please, for the love of Gawd.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
997.gif

A vampire-themed RPG...?
769.gif

S-Set in the fog-wreathed smoke and misery of London during the Spanish Flu...?!?!?!
1271.gif

WITH MAKESHIFT WEAPONS AND A WWI SETTING?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
kPdiF6U.gif

I'll just....be out back nursing my colossal vampire boner now....

Seriously, this game looks amazing. I haven't seen a fraction of gameplay and I already want my hands on it. This might be the next-gen experience I've been waiting for.

I also love the Twilight jab. It reminds me of Funimation's lambasting on the back of the Hellsing Ultimate Blu-Ray collection:

"Remember when vampires had fangs? Remember when they were known as terrifying monsters that stalked the night, instead of moody teenagers that sparkle in the daylight? It's time to drive a stake through the lovesick heart of contemporary vampire nonsense. Satisfy your bloodlust with HELLSING ULTIMATE: The definitive action-horror anime."

Pure gold, even now.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Interesting and I like the style they are going for.

what about Vampire Diaries?

I've seen it (it's not as cringey as it sounds) and in one episode even they mock Twilight.

Although actor who plays Stefan does have a very Edward Cullen look about him... The show is saved by Damon (mocking Twilight below) and Klaus (who has a spin off show called The Originals & is later night version). Granted I prefer the darker side of vampires but wouldn't say Vampire Diaries is quite as cringeworthy as Twilight.

Klaus

I hear Vampire Masquerade could return too after White Wolf were bought out.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Interesting and I like the style they are going for.

I've seen it (it's not as cringey as it sounds) and in one episode even they mock Twilight.

Although actor who plays Stefan does have a very Edward Cullen look about him... The show is saved by Damon (below) and Klaus (who now has a spin off show called The Originals). Granted I prefer the darker side of vampires but wouldn't say Vampire Diaries is quite as cringeworthy as Twilight.
Well I have to say I never willed to give Vampire Diaries any chance. But honestly I prefer Vampries as monster not as pretty boys.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well I have to say I never willed to give Vampire Diaries any chance. But honestly I prefer Vampries as monster not as pretty boys.

Most of us do of course, but also deceiving with them being both ageless & perceived by others as attractive men and women. In a lot of vampire movies/shows etc vampires use a particular allure to their advantage and gives them a good style of persuasive cunning to bring others under their control (including mind control techniques) & be under estimated. They aren't all that pretty boy behind the "mask" and the monster beneath is usually hidden away.

Don't think anyone forgets Spike or Drusilla from Buffy either...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Most of us do of course, but also deceiving with them being both ageless & perceived by others as attractive men and women. In a lot of vampire movies/shows etc vampires use a particular allure to their advantage and gives them a good style of persuasive cunning to bring others under their control (including mind control techniques) & be under estimated. They aren't all that pretty boy behind the "mask" and the monster beneath is usually hidden away.

Don't think anyone forgets Spike or Drusilla from Buffy either...

I know what you mean, but vampires in Buffy never were portrayed as highly romanticised, high spirited creatures like in Twilight and (yes throw rock at me) Interview with Vampire. Instead they were far more like vampires from Blade. I mean Hary Oldman as Dracula also wasn't ugly all the time for sure but he definitely wasn't this guy:
775200_047.jpg

who was made into goody two shoes in Dracula Untold.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
the time for sure but he definitely wasn't this guy:
775200_047.jpg

who was made into goody two shoes in Dracula Untold.
I thought Luke Evans did a good job for what he was given. Keep in mind, Universal didn't intend Dracula to be a tragic villain or anti-hero. They wanted him to be a heroic figure, one with good intentions and harsh methods, tarnished by the reputation sprung by both the church and his enemies.

Kind of like the real Vlad the Impaler, in a lot of ways, who was viewed as a patriot and war hero by his own people, but reviled as a monstrous tyrant by the rest of his people.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
@WolfOD64 Yes, thank you, for awhile I thought I was the only one who liked Luke Evans' version of Dracula (Not saying the movie is GREAT, overall I consider it a guilty pleasure movie. Plus I'm admittedly kinda biased, I kinda like Dracula as an anti-hero. You got Hellsing and Lords of Shadow to thank for that)

@Innsmouth
The problem isn't that Twilight romanticized vampires, vampires have been used in love stories plenty of times.....It's just their vampires are whimps, whiny, and are just badly acted

Anywho, just look at Spike, he's one of the most b@d$$ vampires in fiction, but he's also a hopeless romantic at heart.

Vampire Diaries and The Originals have plenty that keep them from entering Twilight territory
EXAMPLE: Here's my favorite character from both shows, Original Vampire/Werewolf Hybrid Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson being a boss
EDIT Okay Drakan gave a link to the same vid......
Here's one of my favorite moments from Klaus' big brother Elijah Mikaelson

Back on topic, saw the concept trailer a couple of months ago, and I am soooo excited. I mean, an rpg where you get to be a vampire in old London?

The only thing I'm debating is if whether I'm gonna play out as a tragic hero, or just go full-on Angelus on their @sses :devil:

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think they personally took a jab at Twilight because that actually made their vampires sparkle in the sun. I've seen the first season of Vampire Diaries, and it does no such thing. As @Dark Drakan said, it's not as "whimpy" as you might think. At least it's got a lot better acting in it than Twilight, that's for sure.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Interesting that so much is going on in the background of the overall Vampire story with it being the war-torn streets of London and the flu epidemic so it could end up being quite deep if you have to delve into those politics and events as a Vampire who is immortal. This quote sounds very interesting.

A rational man, Reid wants to come to terms with vampirism – he wants to understand it. Basically, he wants to treat it as a medical condition, but as you play through the story and meet many of the characters in the game, you’ll discover that things are much more… organised, or deliberate, than that.

Top Bottom