• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Trends & Cliches in Fighting Games That Annoy You

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Same can be said about certain stereotypes or characteristics associated with some of the male characters in fighting games.

She was in SF III but as background or an extra.

Well when you have a large roster you're bound to find a character (or characters) who you will dislike. Pffffttt I don't really care. Just because you don't like them or thinks they have no place in the game doesn't mean there are other people out there who feels the polar opposite. That is why certain characters are designed to appease to a lot of different people. People just have different tastes but I can still see your case. Poison as well bother me.

If Poison had a great personality or great dialog, I'd like her (him?). It's really not about how she looks as much as how she acts. Could've been a nice character if she were really pessimistic or cynical/sarcastic or whatever, but she just seems like a missed opportunity to me, that's all. Would be fun if her personality was in stark contrast to her looks. No problems otherwise.

Last edited:

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
I fail to see a problem with sexually attractive female characters.
I'd choose them any day if they kick ass.

Also that one friend (whether online or with you) Who spams the SAME button!

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Girls pick male characters all the time & don't think twice about it.
Only guys with a serious masculinity problem lets something like that bother them.

Yeah, in SF x Tekken, I think I've played more as female characters than males, oddly. But then, Cammy does kick ass. She also has a nice one.
Trollface_emoticon.png

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Letting the "Main" Hero keep his powered up form but no one else.

Remember Violent Ken? Shadow Chun-Li? No? But Everyone knows Evil Ryu

V

Oldschool DMC fan
The thing about fighting games is there isn't a whole lot of room for sexually attractive characters to even have proper personalities and fleshed out stories and reasons, by the nature of the type of game it is. They're only there to beat seven shades of sheisse from another character and the backstories of these 'people' are a secondary concern. At least that's what I see when I play this type of game. If there is one with a lengthy plot and exposition and cutscenes that aren't just like tid bits, I would be surprised.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I so disagree with that.
That's like saying females can't be sexy unless it's useful. Or if she has large breasts she should hide them in shame.
That's horrible.
How about these buff Gorillas with a tiny brain put on a freaking shirt for once.
Or how about people get over it & learn a bit self control or not to make snap judgements & label any woman with an above average breasts size someone below normal standards of society.

The problem i see with sexually attractive characters are the immature people who can't deal with it.

I said oversexualized, not sexy. I personally think it's retarded to put a character like Poison in Street Fighter if she doesn't have a personality. It's also kind of offensive; so the character is allowed to have a great body, but not a great mind? That's objectifying people, and THAT's what's horrible. If Poison had a likable personality, then I'd be fine with how she looks. But the whole way she's portrayed is 'edgy and sexy', and that's all she seems to be. That's sad.

And we were talking about a video game character - that's not comparable to real life people. I don't have anything against sexy characters, and you know that. I've been in one or two threads about essentially the same subject before with you - like the one about Quiet in MGS5.

Like I must have said three times now, it's not about how Poison looks, it's about how her looks compare to her personality and everything she says. If she has no personality to speak of except for 'look at me! I'm sexy', then it's a terrible character. Since she's built around one concept, 'sexy', it's objectifying.

Last edited:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
The thing about fighting games is there isn't a whole lot of room for sexually attractive characters to even have proper personalities and fleshed out stories and reasons, by the nature of the type of game it is. They're only there to beat seven shades of sheisse from another character and the backstories of these 'people' are a secondary concern. At least that's what I see when I play this type of game. If there is one with a lengthy plot and exposition and cutscenes that aren't just like tid bits, I would be surprised.

And that's what makes oversexualized characters tragic. If they're oversexualized, they need something to counterbalance that, like a good personality. Because for me, it's not enough for a character to shout 'look at me! I've got boobs!' every time she encounters an enemy. Call me demanding, I don't care :laugh: But games like SF x Tekken don't give their characters any chance to have personalities or background stories. How great would it be if Poison was more than just an oversexualized character? How great would it be if she could stop licking her lips for just once? Buy a personality, Poison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom