• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Trends & Cliches in Fighting Games That Annoy You

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Its the first thread of "Trends & Cliches in Games That Annoy You" threads/topics.

Think of anything when it comes to fighting games in general (whether it be aesthetic, mechanics, characters, story, etc) that annoys or bothers you.

I have one.

How a majority of main protagonists in fighting games (particularly Japanese) are stoic Asians (usually Japanese) with zero personalities or lack of one.

Character_Select_Ryu_by_UdonCrew.jpg
View attachment 887View attachment 884View attachment 885View attachment 886

There are other examples.

I got another one that many of you will say.

WHY.DOES.EVERY.FIGHTING.PLOT.REVOLVE.AROUND.SOME.TOURNAMENT.HOSTED.BY.A.
SHADY.EVIL.CORPORATION? or the majority of them.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Well, in The King of Fighters' defense and I guess, Street Fighter, both have two main characters instead of one. Ryu is, yes, a stoic, old-school warrior, but granted, he was created in 1987 which I guess was a time when stoic warriors were popular in Japan. Nowadays, we have the stupid, invincible, oblivious, power of friendship, I'll never give up, I'll overreact, I have a childhood love interest, catchphrase or signature attack heroes - man, I wish we had more Dantes, more Alucards, more other, interesting characters. Anyway, I digress. So, in Ryu's defense, he's an old man compared to the new age of colorful main characters like Sol Badguy, Ragna, etc. Hell, I think it's said that Ryu is kind of backwards or more conservative.

To counter this, we have Ken Masters, who like Ryu was created in 1987. I guess, he was created based on what people thought of Americans, but I think a little of Karate Kid (1984) influenced some of his character. Ken is more vibrant; he's loud and expressive in contrast to the type of heroes popular in Japan, but popular in the United States, however, Ken is also respectful when it comes to where he learned martial arts. Likewise, I think Daniel LaRusso was like this, he started off as a reckless, impatient boy who wanted to learn karate mostly for means of being strong, but as time passes, he learns that karate is more of an art and something to protect people instead of for glory and power. Ken is more exaggerated since Street Fighter is more fun than moral story, still he has similarities to Daniel.

For KoF, Kyo Kusanagi was created in 1994 and he's based on the juvenile delinquent hero that I assume was popular in Japan in the 90's. As I type this, yep, YuYu Hakusho started on December 1990 and guess what Yusuke Urameshi is? A juvenile delinquent hero. The difference is that Yusuke is more expressive, lively, and fun while also creating a strong moral compass as the story goes on. Kyo is simply put: a jackass. He's proud of his heritage, does not seem to give a damn about anything except fighting, and he's really arrogant. I don't think he grows in character beyond that, he just remains as an immature character. That said, he embodies the juvenile delinquent in a bad way, one who does not grow like Yusuke or Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad. Kyo always tries to act like a badass but it usually makes him look like an ass more than anything even though he's supposedly well-meaning with a strong sense of justice.

The other "hero" or anti-hero, would be Iori Yagami. Personally, I think Iori is much more interesting than Kyo. Even though he's stoic, he's much more brutal and twisted; he might even be mentally or emotionally unstable. Because of his clan's curse, the Yagami hate the Kusanagi; the Yagami then known as the Yasakani made a pact with Orochi for power. That power usually makes them really aggressive especially against the Kusanagi who they were jealous of in the past and caused them to make the pact. Also, as part of the curse, the mothers will always die in childbirth. So, that leaves Iori without a mother and his father dead. Iori instinctively hates Kyo because of their clan's past. Iori murders people, usually by accident, in his rages despite him saying he dislike violence and will work with evil people just to get a chance to kill Kyo even if that means the end of the world. At a certain point, he loses his powers and loses his clan's curse. When he was given the choice to receive his powers and therefore be cursed again, he took it. I think Iori cares more about killing Kyo than anything even if that means making a deal with the devil and damning his entire bloodline. Also, it's said that there's another voice inside him that taunts and belittles him. It gets to the point where Iori questions if that's the real Iori, the bloodthirsty, twisted voice inside of his head and not the antisocial, loner Iori who claims to hate violence. So, we have a sick, twisted, though stoic at times character to contrast the stoic juvenile delinquent.

Anyway, the other SNK characters are much more colorful minus some of them like K' who is like Kyo, well, like Shadow is to Sonic. The characters tend to go from one side to another like a KoF character would be in Fatal Fury and vice versa. Fatal Fury stars Terry Bogard who is basically a 90's American stereotype with a vagabond life style. So, a parody of Musashi Miyamoto perhaps? As a character, he's kind of like Kenshin Himura but more casual and playful. Rarely does he ever get serious and dark and that only happens to Geese Howard who killed his father.

Long story short, I think the issue with fighting game personalities is that most fighting games come from the east and were created long before fighting games like Skullgirls and Blazblue, along with playing with stereotypes and trends at the time unlike Guilty Gear which was released in 1998 or Mortal Kombat which was released in 1992 and basically took every trend, stereotype, martial artist movie fans' fantasy and made a weird, funky, bloody creation of pure what the hell that took the world by surprise and spawned the ESRB due to fears of creating psychopaths and deviants in society. Still, MK has stoic characters, actually, most of the cast are stoic, but they have crazy ones that stand out. And generally, fighting games are just about the gameplay, hell, if they wanted they could make a fighting game with the characters - if you could call them characters - who just grunt and do victory poses when winning, have no backstory, personality, names, distinguishing features, or even faces and people are bound to play the game if the combat was amazing. No a ton of people, but enough that it would be a niche title or cult classic.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Lack of usable objects to beat opponents with I would love t e able to break a chair of there face or beat em to a bloody mess with a sign or a planted tree etc

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
- Enemies throwing you as soon as you stand up, making it impossible for you to escape or even attack.
- Cool characters with terrible, boring attacks.
- Juggling. Just let me do a normal combo instead of this unrealistic nonsense.
- No story, or one made up by a six-year-old (Street Fighter x Tekken).
- Unnecessarily complicated combos. I would love to do a 20-hit combo, but if I have to memorize all inputs, I will go crazy. I don't have a year to practice, you know -_-
- Sexy characters for no reason. Would female gamers really want to play as empty-headed, bland, half-naked characters? This might be indicative of Japanese society's views on women.
- Themeless characters. The f*ck is Hugo supposed to be? Or Poison, for that matter? Crap.
- Street Fighter's Bison, Guile and Balrog. I hate the 'walk two steps back to attack' thing.
- Ring out (Soul Calibur). Yeah, I refuse to write it as 'Soulcalibur'.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
- Enemies throwing you as soon as you stand up, making it impossible for you to escape or even attack.
- Cool characters with terrible, boring attacks.
- Juggling. Just let me do a normal combo instead of this unrealistic nonsense.
- No story, or one made up by a six year old (Street Fighter x Tekken).
- Unnecessarily complicated combos. I would love to do a 20-hit combo, but if I have to memorize all inputs, I will go crazy. I don't have a year to practice, you know -_-
- Sexy characters for no reason. Would female gamers really want to play as empty-headed, bland, half-naked characters? This might be indicative of Japanese society's views on women.
- Themeless characters. The f*ck is Hugo supposed to be? Or Poison, for that matter? Crap.
- Street Fighter's Bison, Guile and Balrog. I hate the 'walk two steps back to attack' thing.
- Ring out (Soul Calibur). Yeah, I refuse to write it as 'Soulcalibur'.

You're already shooting fighting fireballs and dying gravity with spinning bird kicks as well as other supernatural or sci-fi type of stuff although for something like Tekken or DOA I see your point but they're there for a reason.

Not so sure about Hugo but Poison was a character who was in Final Fight and like Cody came over due to massive interest in her by fans or Ono and Final Fight and Street Fighter takes place in the same universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lj-9npanOI

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You're already shooting fighting fireballs and dying gravity with spinning bird kicks as well as other supernatural or sci-fi type of stuff although for something like Tekken or DOA I see your point but they're there for a reason.

Not so sure about Hugo but Poison was a character who was in Final Fight and like Cody came over due to massive interest in her by fans or Ono and Final Fight and Street Fighter takes place in the same universe.

Yeah, but those are simply attacks that serve some purpose and often still work according to the laws of physics (if the characters were superhuman in strength). But the juggling, man, it often doesn't even make sense considering the angle of your attack.

Wow, I can't believe Poison would be popular among fans - I mean, I think she's a terrible character. But whatever.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah, but those are simply attacks that serve some purpose and often still work according to the laws of physics (if the characters were superhuman in strength). But the juggling, man, it often doesn't even make sense considering the angle of your attack.

Wow, I can't believe Poison would be popular among fans - I mean, I think she's a terrible character. But whatever.

However despite what you feel about her the fact is the ongoing mystery or debacle of her gender and sexual orientation created a lot of buzz, buzz Capcom used to generate hype for Street Fighter X Tekken that and Ono REALLY likes Poison for some reason I think he says she was his favorite character.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Characters that are extremely difficult to master because how OP they are but if you face someone who has perfectly mastered them....well.........you're f*cked.

King from Tekken is a good example.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
However despite what you feel about her the fact is the ongoing mystery or debacle of her gender and sexual orientation created a lot of buzz, buzz Capcom used to generate hype for Street Fighter X Tekken that and Ono REALLY likes Poison for some reason I think he says she was his favorite character.

Really... it's like teenagers giggling about sexual organs, or that stupidity involving Lady Gaga and people thinking she's a hermaphrodite. I guess it's just a shameless ploy to justify making an insipid character that feels the need to act overly sexual. If it's meant as a joke, it really takes itself too seriously. And to put that character into multiple Street Fighter games... man. I just don't think many people would want to play as such a bland character that doesn't even seem to belong in a fighting game. Or to play as Hugo, for that matter. She seems to have been made only for cheap laughs in some of SF x Tekken's dialog. Only that dialog was eventually removed, so now there's not much left at all. Just an ugly character. Sad.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Really... it's like teenagers giggling about sexual organs, or that stupidity involving Lady Gaga and people thinking she's a hermaphrodite. I guess it's just a shameless ploy to justify making an insipid character that feels the need to act overly sexual. If it's meant as a joke, it really takes itself too seriously. And to put that character into multiple Street Fighter games... man. I just don't think many people would want to play as such a bland character that doesn't even seem to belong in a fighting game. Or to play as Hugo, for that matter. She seems to have been made only for cheap laughs in some of SF x Tekken's dialog. Only that dialog was eventually removed, so now there's not much left at all. Just an ugly character. Sad.

She was in only 2 games. Street Fighter X Tekken was her first time being playable.

You seem to forget the tons of fighting games with overly sexual characters.

View attachment 888 View attachment 889 View attachment 890 View attachment 891
images
View attachment 892
B.Orchid-Promo-KI2.jpg

And it doesn't stops there in fact that is another trend or cliche in fighting games.

Super90sgamer

Do you know it's so annoying when you choose a female character in fighting games and peaple around you start to mock you for gender swapping?

Last edited:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
She was in only 2 games. Street Fighter X Tekken was her first time being playable.

You seem to forget the tons of fighting games with overly sexual characters.
And it doesn't stops there in fact that is another trend or cliche in fighting games.

Well yeah, I wasn't saying I agree with other sexual characters, I'm saying all oversexualized characters are bad - unless there's some sort of useful function to being that way, and if the character actually acts like a person or character instead of like a stereotype or characterization. I like my characters to actually have character, not to be mindless husks with huge boobs.

And I heard Poison was in SF III too - doesn't matter if she was playable or not - the very existence of that character rubs me the wrong way. It's just... not a good character. At least Ryu - even though he's a stereotype too - fits a certain theme. The theme being 'wise, humble martial arts student in training'. And that theme suits a fighting game. It suits Street Fighter. But Poison really seems out of place.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well yeah, I wasn't saying I agree with other sexual characters, I'm saying all oversexualized characters are bad - unless there's some sort of useful function to being that way, and if the character actually acts like a person or character instead of like a stereotype or characterization. I like my characters to actually have character, not to be mindless husks with huge boobs.

And I heard Poison was in SF III too - doesn't matter if she was playable or not - the very existence of that character rubs me the wrong way. It's just... not a good character. At least Ryu - even though he's a stereotype too - fits a certain theme. The theme being 'wise, humble martial arts student in training'. And that theme suits a fighting game. It suits Street Fighter. But Poison really seems out of place.

Same can be said about certain stereotypes or characteristics associated with some of the male characters in fighting games.

She was in SF III but as background or an extra.

Well when you have a large roster you're bound to find a character (or characters) who you will dislike. Pffffttt I don't really care. Just because you don't like them or thinks they have no place in the game doesn't mean there are other people out there who feels the polar opposite. That is why certain characters are designed to appease to a lot of different people. People just have different tastes but I can still see your case. Poison as well bother me.

Top Bottom