• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I don't understand why no one has made a thread about this yet, but here I go anyway. I like to analyse characters, their motivations and mindsets, how they became the people they are and how their characters will develop in future.

Let's draw all the attention away from the sons of Sparda for now, and focus on the pair that brought them into creation in the first place = Eva and Sparda.
I have my own opinion and thoughts about the type of people they were, but I'd love to see what everyone else's perspective on them are. Was Eva a fiesty little vixen, or a quietly brave woman? How did Sparda fall in love with her? How did they meet?

Go ahead guys, open for discussion :D

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
In my opinion, Sparda was rebellious, playful and ****y like Dante, but can be serious when things happen like Vergil. About Eva,, it is hard to say what her characteristics are. Probably she is very brave and srtong willed woman.

We can only guess, but we will never know the real story behind them until Capcom release the next DMC game which has some strong details about Sparda's and Eva's relationship.

GOod thread, by the way.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I always thought of Sparda as an arrogant bad*** like Dante, but back when he was a demonic general, he was cold and calculating, like Vergil.

Eva, on the other hand, I always thought to be either a priestess or a paladin. Which raises the question, CAN women be paladins? Just wondering...

Sparda™

Sparda was exactly like Dante, rebellious, mocking any of his adversaries but cool and serious when it was needed.

He never quit being one, although with time he became more of a collected type - 2000 years in the human world taught him what he could never learn by living in the underworld.

Sparda was a very cold type in the beginning though, quite traditional. That's where Vergil got his persona from.

As for Eva, I always think of her as a human sorceress which used her powers to become a devil huntress.

How they met?! Well, It's inevitable not to fall in love with such a woman.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Eva would have been a very strong woman. I bet she didn't take any cr@p from anyone, and loved her sons. As i see it, She died protecting them.
I bet she was a feisty lady when she was in a mood... (She probably threw the odd frying pan at Sparda. ;))

With Sparda, you only have to combine Dante and Vergil to get their father.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Okay, I'm with you guys.
But let's elaborate on them a bit.

Do you think Eva knew who Sparda was when they fell in love? Do you guys think the 'devil blood' thing might have been an issue at first (obviously they got past that hurdle in the end)? Because Eva was human, she must have had a family - do you think they were encouraging about the concept of their daughter uniting with a has-been devil warrior?

And do you think Sparda was easy to sway over to get involved with her? I mean, he had an IQ of 2000 years, and who knows how long he's been alive even before that, so he had to have a sharp mind. Don't you think he might have figured that his demon ex-compadres would come after him if they found out he was establishing a family for himself?

Sparda™

clairavance;198966 said:
Do you think Eva knew who Sparda was when they fell in love? Do you guys think the 'devil blood' thing might have been an issue at first (obviously they got past that hurdle in the end)?

The Luce & Ombra, guns of Sparda, were made by Neil Goldstein, which in the first novel, makes Dante's Ebony & Ivory. The inscription in the Luce & Ombra is the same which is found in E&I - For Tony Redgrave.

What I'm implying is that Sparda went with that nickname long before Dante was even in his father's thoughts. Eva could have been a modern-day priestess aka devil huntress who knew Sparda by tales and legends but never thought she'd actually get to meet him.

Recalling the method Sparda used to seal the Temen-ni-gru, as in sacrificing the blood of a priestess among other rituals he performed, It was Sparda who fell in love with her first, and gradually, Eva recognizes who he truly is and eventually gets to love him as well - even having demon blood in his veins.

clairavance;198966 said:
Because Eva was human, she must have had a family - do you think they were encouraging about the concept of their daughter uniting with a has-been devil warrior?

What I always thought of Eva's backstory, was that of an aristocratic family of generations. Eva's bloodline was slaughtered by demons who seemingly saw them as a threat and Eva was the only who survived the massacre.

Eva's family and bloodline was probably related to the Order of the Sword since the time Sparda sealed the True Hell Gate 2000 years ago.

clairavance;198966 said:
And do you think Sparda was easy to sway over to get involved with her? I mean, he had an IQ of 2000 years, and who knows how long he's been alive even before that, so he had to have a sharp mind.

It is mentioned somewhere Eva was the only woman Sparda loved with his heart and with whom he fathered children.

That said, Eva must have left him unforgettable impressions no woman has done so for who knows how many millenniums.

clairavance;198966 said:
Don't you think he might have figured that his demon ex-compadres would come after him if they found out he was establishing a family for himself?

That's the boiling point of Sparda's story. Maybe he just surrendered to the fact that what he did, going against his own kind, would leave a big mark in his bloodline for generations to come - that the children of their children would suffer this kind of curse on their shoulders, this heavy burden, living always in the fear of being hunted.

Dante and Vergil have thought of this, even though both in different ways. Thus they seem so distant looking to form a family and all that. They want to end the bloodline by being the last known carriers of Sparda's blood.

Nero's addition in the series seems to have made the story a bit more interesting, even more due to his Sparda persona he's wielding.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda™;198971 said:
Dante and Vergil have thought of this, even though both in different ways. Thus they seem so distant looking to form a family and all that. They want to end the bloodline by being the last known carriers of Sparda's blood.

Didn't Dante make small-talk about wanting to settle down with a family of his own at the end of DMC1?

Slightly off topic, on Ebony and Ivory - who are the girls in the photos on the handles? What's the story there?

Back on topic - some good information mentioned that I didn't know before, thanks Sparda.

Sparda™

clairavance;198973 said:
Didn't Dante make small-talk about wanting to settle down with a family of his own at the end of DMC1?

Devil May Cry 1 was planned to be a single game. The huge success and the revolution It brought to the action genre, the creation of sub-genres such as hack-n-slash and Gothic adventure which were attributed to DMC1, led to a franchise.

Storyline details couldn't be changed, so they released them in various multimedia platforms - novels, manga and anime.

As the story has been set, It seems Dante is going just the way I said above.

clairavance;198973 said:
Slightly off topic, on Ebony and Ivory - who are the girls in the photos on the handles? What's the story there?

Ebony & Ivory get the names by the portraits being fair-haired for Ivory, and dark-haired for Ebony.

The portraits are Victorian-era women.

clairavance;198973 said:
Back on topic - some good information mentioned that I didn't know before, thanks Sparda.

Always welcomed. I'm open to discuss for anything Devil May Cry related or not.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sparda™;198974 said:
Ebony & Ivory get the names by the portraits being fair-haired for Ivory, and dark-haired for Ebony.

The portraits are Victorian-era women.

Okay o_O I thought the guns spoke for themselves as Ebony (dark) and Ivory (light)

EBONY_and_IVORY_DEVIL_MAY_CRY_by_Kadza_Neon.jpg

I don't see the point in them putting the portraits in there just for the sake of distinguishing Ebony and Ivory from one another, as its pretty obvious which is which. Oh well. Typical.

On the idea of Eva having been a devil huntress - do you really think Sparda would have fallen for a devil hunter? I highly doubt it, considering there is a big difference between what Sparda did and what devil hunters do.

Zato-OW

King
clairavance;198979 said:
Okay o_O I thought the guns spoke for themselves as Ebony (dark) and Ivory (light)

EBONY_and_IVORY_DEVIL_MAY_CRY_by_Kadza_Neon.jpg

I don't see the point in them putting the portraits in there just for the sake of distinguishing Ebony and Ivory from one another, as its pretty obvious which is which. Oh well. Typical.

On the idea of Eva having been a devil huntress - do you really think Sparda would have fallen for a devil hunter? I highly doubt it, considering there is a big difference between what Sparda did and what devil hunters do.

This is true, one was said to have to soul of an Angel and the other a Devil. In Bayonetta Ebony and Ivory has the same description oddly.

Sparda™

clairavance;198979 said:
Okay o_O I thought the guns spoke for themselves as Ebony (dark) and Ivory (light). I don't see the point in them putting the portraits in there just for the sake of distinguishing Ebony and Ivory from one another, as its pretty obvious which is which. Oh well. Typical.

It is said that the underworld and the human world were once one. But because of the differences between humans and demons, the worlds were separated. The humans were identified with the light (Luce/Ivory), while the demons with the darkness (Ombra/Ebony).

That's the meaning of the guns, which Dante with Ebony & Ivory is just following what Sparda did with Luce & Ombra - same meaning.

clairavance;198979 said:

Well, you see, Eva wouldn't have been an ordinary devil hunter. As I said in my posts above, something she could have done and which Sparda probably witnessed, must have left him impressions no woman has done so for millenniums.

This is true, one was said to have to soul of an Angel and the other a Devil.

It's more of a personification Sparda did. Same with Rebellion which was Sparda's sword first - one side of the skull is human while the other is of a demon - revealing both traits in one person.

In Bayonetta Ebony and Ivory has the same description oddly.

It's far from oddly.

Zato-OW

King
Sparda™;199004 said:
It is said that the underworld and the human world were once one. But because of the differences between humans and demons, the worlds were separated. The humans were identified with the light (Luce/Ivory), while the demons with the darkness (Ombra/Ebony).

That's the meaning of the guns, which Dante with Ebony & Ivory is just following what Sparda did with Luce & Ombra - same meaning.

Well, you see, Eva wouldn't have been an ordinary devil hunter. As I said in my posts above, something she could have done and which Sparda probably witnessed, must have left him impressions no woman has done so for millenniums.

It's more of a personification Sparda did. Same with Rebellion which was Sparda's sword first - one side of the skull is human while the other is of a demon - revealing both traits in one person.

It's far from oddly.

I say "oddly" because there are two more guns that went with Ebony and Ivory in that game. Also because that information is nowhere to be found but was only stated in a DMC interview 5 years back.

Sparda™

Zato-OW;199011 said:
Also because that information is nowhere to be found but was only stated in a DMC interview 5 years back.

Means It's not an actual fact but a sentence thrown in mid-interview.

Zato-OW

King
Sparda™;199012 said:
Means It's not an actual fact but a sentence thrown in mid-interview.

Okay, if you want to believe that. But those two saying the exact same thing proves otherwise.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
woah... ebony and ivory in Bayonetta?
Also, just looked at a picture of Ombre, i can't see anything about Tony Redgrave on it

Sparda™

Zato-OW;199014 said:
Okay, if you want to believe that. But those two saying the exact same thing proves otherwise.

It's part of a Bayonetta discussion, which I don't want to go through again with It.

It's about Sparda and Eva.

Also, just looked at a picture of Ombre, i can't see anything about Tony Redgrave on it

Luce_%26_ombra.jpg

The Luce & Ombra (lit. "Light & Shadow" in Italian) are a pair of personally customized[1], semi-automatic pistols once wielded by the Dark Knight Sparda, and designed to rapidly fire bullets.[2] They are used with the "Legendary Dark Knight Dante" costume in Devil May Cry, and by Trish in Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2, The Animated Series, and Viewtiful Joe. They possess a design similar to Ebony & Ivory, though they are slightly less customized.

Both weapons feature an array of customizations;

* Both weapons use custom slides and extended frames that lend them a very angular appearance.
* Both weapons have been modified with short-pull triggers, target sights, beavertail grip safeties, and slam-pads on their magazines.
* As with Ebony & Ivory, the left-handed weapon (Ombra) is built around a custom frame and slide set. All of the controls have been completely reversed, making it just as easy to operate as it's sister.
* Both handguns are outfitted with ergonomic wood grips. In the middle of the grip panels are portraits of Victorian women, just as on the Ebony & Ivory; as befits their names, Ombra's is dark-haired, and Luce's is fair-haired. Oddly enough, an engraving addressed to Dante is also carved into both sets of guns:

For Tony Redgrave
By .45 Art Warks

'Nuff said.

Sparda™

Vergil'sB*tch;199019 said:
Like i said, the picture of Ombre i looked at didn't have any detail like that on it

Maybe you saw the right side of the Ombra, which would explain why you didn't see any detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom