• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Startling Realization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
and yet DmC dante is more prone to doing these things to himself. If someone makes the wrong comment about his humanity (or his hair) there he goes tearing a hole in his own chest feeling for his heart, because he has the emotional stability of a 13 year old girl, which is probably what the marketing team was going for when they made that character.

Durability is mental and physical. If I had to chose between a superman who shrugs off **** talk, and similar superman prone to jamming kryptonite into his chest every time he has one of his frequent existential crises, I think I would pick the first as being more durable overall.
More prone? He did it once and it was, in context, because he was stabbed in the chest during a street fight and didn't die like a normal person would.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
More prone? He did it once and it was, in context, because he was stabbed in the chest during a street fight and didn't die like a normal person would.
and DMC dante did that zero times, despite being stabbed, electrocuted, bludgeoned, exploded, crushed, and also questioning his humanity.

1 > 0, if you want to argue it that it really was only once

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
and DMC dante did that zero times, despite being stabbed, electrocuted, bludgeoned, exploded, crushed, and also questioning his humanity.

And? The point?

The previous Dante is practically mary sue status in his world that is severely inconsistent. He sacrifices any characteristics of vulnerability or emotional response for the sake of his "rule of cool".

One of the points behind the latest incarnation was to make him more human in a more grounded sense. A more believable character who suffers from not just more physical flaws, but mental as well. Dante's background in the new one has him undergo a rough upbringing with no answers that did affect his mental health and all that jazz. Growing up without a single idea as to who or what you are and getting abused by this world at every turn for no clear reason can do that to a person I presume.

But it is definitely a gross overstatement to say he has the emotional stability of a teenage girl.

I don't see him acting like that all the time at all because he mainly doesn't try to care anymore at the point where meet him. He doesn't think he's going to be alive for much longer and is not living when Kat and Vergil find him, just surviving.

For the most part, he's just like his original incarnation in a sense that he's cocky and full of himself. Albeit, a more rash and inexperienced version of his original self because of *zelda chest opening sound* it's part of his character arc.

Sooooo, yea. I wasn't trying to get in to some DmC vs DMC debate because there's no point to that in this regard. You take them for who they are because the intention was to make a distinction. Dante isn't emo or a teenager in DmC. He's just a rough cocky punk who starts off as nothing but a carelesss drifter who eventually becomes the champion of humanity.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
They could have a friendly rivalry to see who could make the best (worst?) one liners. :laugh:
Kind of like this?
The previous Dante is practically mary sue status in his world that is severely inconsistent. He sacrifices any characteristics of vulnerability or emotional response for the sake of his "rule of cool".
Yeah, that's probably one of my main problems with the character; at least Vergil had an excuse for that. He's a narcissistic sociopath.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Kind of like this?

Yeah, that's probably one of my main problems with the character; at least Vergil had an excuse for that. He's a narcissistic sociopath.

YES! Exactly like that.

And I like to pretend both Vergils would be disgusted by a true Narcissistic Sociopath with No Sense of Empathy (Oh, Hi, Griffith)

Kam

I don't see him acting like that all the time at all because he mainly doesn't try to care anymore at the point where meet him. He doesn't think he's going to be alive for much longer and is not living when Kat and Vergil find him, just surviving.
This is how I determine the ages of the people on these boards. There are people who genuinely don't care and do their own thing, and then there are people that make the biggest possible display of not caring, making sure everyone knows they don't care because their whole image is centered on that.

Once you've learned to tell the difference, a character like DmC dante is no longer excusable. I mean, the guy makes a huge show about how he wants to be left alone and doesn't trust people, but he lives in the middle of a ****ing amusement park? Yeah, real convincing show of social rejection there buddy, and that's just in the first 20 seconds of the game.

But seriously though, he's a character that is prone to hurting himself if he's upset in the right way, while the old dante never resorted to self harm even at his lowest point (a point which capcom retconned to being non-canon, even if you wanted to go there) so I don't really see room to argue this. He's so weak he brings himself down.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Old Dante knew who he was. New Dante didn't.
Old Dante knew what would happen. New Dante didn't.

Are you serious right now?

there are people that make the biggest possible display of not caring, making sure everyone knows they don't care because their whole image is centered on that.

latest

"Quite frankly at first I didn't give a damn"
"Father, I don't have a father..."
"Well that doesn't matter to me one way or the other"
T

But seriously though, he's a character that is prone to hurting himself if he's upset in the right way, while the old dante never resorted to self harm even at his lowest point (a point which capcom retconned to being non-canon, even if you wanted to go there) so I don't really see room to argue this. He's so weak he brings himself down.
He only did that ONCE. Where in the game did he hurt himself more then once?

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This is how I determine the ages of the people on these boards. There are people who genuinely don't care and do their own thing, and then there are people that make the biggest possible display of not caring, making sure everyone knows they don't care because their whole image is centered on that.

Once you've learned to tell the difference, a character like DmC dante is no longer excusable. I mean, the guy makes a huge show about how he wants to be left alone and doesn't trust people, but he lives in the middle of a ****ing amusement park? Yeah, real convincing show of social rejection there buddy, and that's just in the first 20 seconds of the game.

Do you know what you're even talking about anymore?

What do you mean "determine my age"? What does that have to do with anything being discussed here? How old I am is on my profile in case you were wondering.

And where has Dante shown he hated everything enough to become a social recluse or something? He must visit that club on a regular basis to be remembered by the girls he usually hooks up with for one night stands. And who knows how many places he has lived before some crummy trailer in the middle of an amusement park. Maybe he stole that mobile home and just parked it there. Who knows. He never had some place to call home really unlike Vergil who was lucky enough to get adopted in to a life of more luxury.

And back to the original topic, he only harmed himself ONCE and that was because he didn't die when he was stabbed in the heart. He had no idea of his supernatural lineage. Kinda hard to just shrug that off when you're suddenly now freaking out about some super power you must have.

I'd be questioning whether or not I was secretly a mutant about to get a visit from Professor X.

Kam

Old Dante knew who he was. New Dante didn't.
Old Dante knew what would happen. New Dante didn't.
even before he was aware of (or accepted) his demonic heritage, at no point in his history did he do this. Experiencing something unexpected didn't immediately drive him to self harm, and defending that this is a normal reaction for someone rediscovering themselves has me kinda worried for you now :(

Are you serious right now?

"Quite frankly at first I didn't give a damn"
"Father, I don't have a father..."
"Well that doesn't matter to me one way or the other"
Yeah, pretty serious. I don't see the highschool tryhard in any of these quotes. What is it you're seeing in them?

He only did that ONCE. Where in the game did he hurt himself more then once?
Hey man, he wakes up with a hangover, turns up the volume on the TV, chugs more alcohol, and then steps out of his east-facing door early in the morning. If that's not hurting yourself I don't know what is

Kam

Do you know what you're even talking about anymore?

What do you mean "determine my age"? What does that have to do with anything being discussed here? How old I am is on my profile in case you were wondering.

And where has Dante shown he hated everything enough to become a social recluse or something? He must visit that club on a regular basis to be remembered by the girls he usually hooks up with for one night stands. And who knows how many places he has lived before some crummy trailer in the middle of an amusement park. Maybe he stole that mobile home and just parked it there. Who knows. He never had some place to call home really unlike Vergil who was lucky enough to get adopted in to a life of more luxury.

And back to the original topic, he only harmed himself ONCE and that was because he didn't die when he was stabbed in the heart. He had no idea of his supernatural lineage. Kinda hard to just shrug that off when you're suddenly now freaking out about some super power you must have.

I'd be questioning whether or not I was secretly a mutant about to get a visit from Professor X.
oh hey, you're 3 years older than I guessed you would be. Neat.

Dante goes on constant rants about how society has wronged him, and how he stays away from everyone because they're always putting him down and they don't understand him and whatever. Queue up any cutscene where dante and kat are alone together for him to cry on her shoulder about his tragic life. He rambles on about his reclusive, brooding nature to kat (and only kat) because he is the highschool dudebro trying to impress a girl with how deep and mysterious he is.

Yes, you are correct: Everything else he does totally contradicts what he says to kat. That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you: he paints an obviously fake picture of himself to try and impress the girl, and a lot of people out there were 110% done with that kind of loser before this game even existed.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hey man, he wakes up with a hangover, turns up the volume on the TV, chugs more alcohol, and then steps out of his east-facing door early in the morning. If that's not hurting yourself I don't know what is
Ok, so drinking and having a hangover (normal for a person who's gotten a little drunk the night before) is now suddenly the equivalent of cutting ourselves like some emo teenager.

Then I guess the original Dante is also prone to self harm since he is also a drinker. Occasionally, a heavy one. Bottles of Jack Daniels are on his desk at the beginning of DMC 1. He has also gotten so drunk, he proposed to a mop.

Kam

Ok, so drinking and having a hangover (normal for a person who's gotten a little drunk the night before) is now suddenly the equivalent of cutting ourselves like some emo teenager.

Then I guess the original Dante is also prone to self harm since he is pretty much a functioning alcoholic. The original Dante is a known drinker. Bottles of Jack Daniels are on his desk at the beginning of DMC 1. He has also gotten so drunk one time, he proposed to a mop.
dude, that was like the one part of my post that wasn't actually serious. Calm your tits bro

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
dude, that was like the one part of my post that wasn't actually serious. Calm your tits bro
No, I doubt that. You're just back pedaling now. Don't BS me. He asked you what else has Dante done to harm himself and that's what you responded with.

Because in reality, he's only done what we've been saying, ONE THING because he was stabbed in the heart.

And Dante DOESN'T go on constant rants about how society wronged him. The only time Dante really opens up to Kat was when they were in the Virility factory and that was to relate with Kat on some level about his own experiences with the demons secretly plaguing the world and his rough upbringing. How is that trying to impress a girl? They're relationship is not even romantic! Kat shares more romantic feelings for Vergil (the Chronicles of Vergil actually reveals and confirms these implications) ,where with Dante, it is purely platonic.

When Kat opens up about her past to him when they're in the car, Dante realizes that a lot of his issues pale in comparison to what her, and humanity has had to go through because of the demons. That is also backed up with the times Dante responded with remorse and sympathy to those lost souls enslaved already by Mundus and his legion. *see the Bob Barbas missions and the missions where you are climbing his tower*

You know, we actually played the game and understood the context of the dialogue, body language and mannerisms the characters take when speaking, and simple freaking plot this game has. It's not hard to get or understand. You're just making crap up and rashly coming up with things to describe the characters and story.

Like you are so out of touch it's not even funny. If you never played it, that's fine, I don't care. But don't come discussing the game when you have no clue.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
even before he was aware of (or accepted) his demonic heritage, at no point in his history did he do this. Experiencing something unexpected didn't immediately drive him to self harm, and defending that this is a normal reaction for someone rediscovering themselves has me kinda worried for you now :(
How would you know this? We don't know anything about his teen years. And I'm not defending it, I'm giving reason for why.

Yeah, pretty serious. I don't see the highschool tryhard in any of these quotes. What is it you're seeing in them?
The first; He pretended like he didn't care about humanity or anyone else for that matter and only wanted to have fun and kill demons like it was one big party.

Second; He says he doesn't have a father to further his severed ties with his own father and thus acting as if he was born with out a father and pretends as if he cares nothing for him and has no curiosity to find out more about him.

Third; He pretends the information to open the hell gate being an important item from his mother was a minor thing and only focused on finishing their fight from before.

Well now I know your just being a trolling asshole.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Wether he stronger or not, is pretty much undecidable question, though it's hard to compare them, since "punching giant demons" doesn't means much. Being smaller don't make you weaker. But we know that DMC3 has much superior regenration. It took nDante much longer to heal mere scratches (like in the beginning), while oDante can heal much more terrifying wounds. Additionally Munduss almost killed Dante with bare hands in DmC, while DMC3 Dante ends up being stabbed through and regenerating after it like it was nothing

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Can we just stop the personal biases and prejudices here? I'm just reading all your points. However, some of you are just being completely obnoxious as I can't even know what the hell is this thread about when you replied to the OP like those kind of points! Some of you here have overlooked some other facts, especially on DmC Dante.

I'm just glad I'm turning 28 this Wednesday and I have learned new things, especially those that are quite overlooked, thus I have gained wisdom, especially with age. Sazh Katzroy is right; wisdom does come with age!

Now on topic:
Agree wholeheartedly to the OP. Chance, I agree with you as well; you put almost exactly what I want to say! Vergilius, my friend; I too agree wholeheartedly that DMC4 Dante is Marty Stu (male equivalent of the female Mary Sue); that is one big-ass flaw!

And I want to add that both DMC3 and DmC Dante are both two sides of the same coin (@Loopy gets the credit for this for she said that first; I must repeat this to make myself clear); they had the same kind of character development where they first began not giving a damn on anything at all until they realized their true purpose, becoming hardened selfless individuals people can count on, thus becoming the champion of mankind.
In the end, for DMC3 Dante, he opened his work "Devil May Cry" (and Vergil fighting Mundus in the demon world, but in vain); for DmC Dante, he told DmC Vergil that the world is now under his protection, but this begins Vergil's Downfall afterwards.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
@MigsRZXAStylish
Being a Mary Sue/Marty Stu is not a big-ass flaw, in fanfiction they are usually connected with rushed, really amateurish writing and pushing canon characters into OOC to make the Mary Sue shine, this is why they are hated by extension. In fact, the hate has grown so much, people feel the need to warn readers of original characters, especially if there is romance involved.
If it were such a huge flaw as people make it out to be, then Hollywood better burn pretty much all action flicks to hide their shame.

To stay on topic, when it comes to Dante and which is better in terms of durability/power/whatever... I like original Dante and what he can do makes me feel powerful when I play, I don't have problem with people liking reboot Dante, and I'd like them to be discussed independently of each other, as comparing the games or characters is nothing but asking for trouble.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
@MigsRZXAStylish
Being a Mary Sue/Marty Stu is not a big-ass flaw, in fanfiction they are usually connected with rushed, really amateurish writing and pushing canon characters into OOC to make the Mary Sue shine, this is why they are hated by extension. In fact, the hate has grown so much, people feel the need to warn readers of original characters, especially if there is romance involved.
If it were such a huge flaw as people make it out to be, then Hollywood better burn pretty much all action flicks to hide their shame.

To stay on topic, when it comes to Dante and which is better in terms of durability/power/whatever... I like original Dante and what he can do makes me feel powerful when I play, I don't have problem with people liking reboot Dante, and I'd like them to be discussed independently of each other, as comparing the games or characters is nothing but asking for trouble.
To me, it is a big-ass flaw! I learned it through experience of liking such characters. I was such a young fool back in the day... I never realized back then why they were just too likeable, until recently... Man, that is the biggest hole I have dug in my life! -_-
Look at my wisdom part; it also has to do with what I said.
That is also exactly where I am getting at, Sunny. It feels like writers want to depict them the way they want (ex. writers want to depict Cloud Strife as a skirt-chaser or pervert but he is officially a shy introvert), unless when using other sources (i.e. other media) without turning the character into a Stu/Sue, of course.
They are not for fanfiction characters anymore...

On-topic:
Because it's all nothing but subjectiveness as some of these people need to realize!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom