• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So whatever happened TGS DmC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I still have yet to finish DmC but clearly it is obvious the TGS trailer seems very different and a lot more serious

As much as i love the final product i can't help but think how fun it would have been playing a completely different mentally insane dante.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
TGS was more like a taster of what they could do. Many games change between their initial announcement and the final product.
If you look through the concept art in the game, especially ones for The Order missions, you'll see it was more like science labs with x rays and brain scans like the TGS trailer. So I guess at some point The Order was more sinister, maybe brainwashing people themselves. Or maybe the TGS Dante was a product of The Order's brain washing experiments.

I would have liked to see that too, but I'm happy with what I got. However, the allusions to Dante past, time spent in prison youth detention and orphanages were pretty dark, and I would have liked to see more of that in the game as it was more in line with the TGS original trailer.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
This trailer actually had made me go "'F.UCK YEAH!!"...until the time he falls off the building. When he falls off the building calling himself Dante, I went from "wtf?!" to "ok.cool!" in a matter of seconds.

That trailer made it clear that he was tortured by the demons and when he puts the cigarette onto the demon in such badass sadistic way, his hate becomes apparent and THE WAY HE WAS PORTRAYED DOING THAT WAS PURE AWESOMENESS. I totally dig that seriousness.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Or maybe the TGS Dante was a product of The Order's brain washing experiments.
IMO I just think playing as a mentally unstable person is much more compelling. because DmC's dante just has that "I've got it covered no big deal" kinda attitude.. whereas TGS dante comes off as "I'll RIP YOU TO SHREDS NRAGH!"

And it actually goes well with dante's fugitive on the run type of theme too as he's supposed to be this weirdo who opposes perfectly harmonious authority.
However, the allusions to Dante past, time spent in prison youth detention and orphanages were pretty dark, and I would have liked to see more of that in the game as it was more in line with the TGS original trailer.
I think we're the only ones to blame... >_> and even his gunfire color seem to be different.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I would've loved to see what this Dante was all about. The cold attitude and rebelious nature is definitely compelling and makes him more distant from the world. I would have also liked for him to have a sort of "Alex Mercer" like attitude and be a bit more cynical and sadistic. But as the story goes on, Kat opens him up a bit and then he slowly becomes the new Dante we have now.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
IMO I just think playing as a mentally unstable person is much more compelling. because DmC's dante just has that "I've got it covered no big deal" kinda attitude.. whereas TGS dante comes off as "I'll RIP YOU TO SHREDS NRAGH!"
Considering what DmC Dante went through, I would have thought we could have got a few scenes where he flipped out. For instance, when he remembers what happened to his mother. Surely that was traumatic enough for him to react in a violent way or have some kind of confusion.
It seems like DmC Dante, all of his pain, confusion and fighting back was done prior to the game. Those scenes where he's a teenager getting beaten by police, or literally looking inside himself to see if he is human, and the part where Dante says he was in an abusive orphanage run by demons.
But by the start of the game, the most he has is trust issues. He's not unstable after going through all that...he just has a bad attitude.

And it actually goes well with dante's fugitive on the run type of theme too as he's supposed to be this weirdo who opposes perfectly harmonious authority.I think we're the only ones to blame... >_> and even his gunfire color seem to be different.
It would have fit really well...maybe even showing what happened to Dante in game during that Vergil prequel comic might have helped. In that he was being beaten up in a demon prison and was on the run for a bit. I think Dante also mentions in the downfall DLC that he lived in the slums too. See, we hear about Dante having a rough life from him and other info in the game, but we don't see it. That's a shame, because it could have helped to understand the character better and build a more solid/ detailed background story.

Maybe the TGS Dante was just too violent and unstable so they thought he wouldn't appeal to gamers? The trailer did get a lot of negative backlash for him being too sadistic, for smoking and for being too skinny....maybe NT should have just ignored the backlash and incorporated a lot more of TGS Dante into the final game.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The trailer did get a lot of negative backlash for him being too sadistic, for smoking and for being too skinny....maybe NT should have just ignored the backlash and incorporated a lot more of TGS Dante into the final game.
omg, this. This on a ****ing silver platter.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Sorry everybody but I thought this Dante wasn't "cool"...lol

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
yeah he isn't supposed to be cool actually >_> that's why i like him he's NOT like other dantes not even one bit he's not charming and he's not a pretty boy.

Easy with your sword. That's what I was getting at. Back when they released the trailer it had everyone up in arms. But now people will admit that it was cool because it was different. People don't generally like experiencing change. If everyone had of said it was good back then instead of the insane backlash we got then the final product would of been closer to this. The "fans" complained to have their way and Ninja Theory changed a hell of a lot to make people more 'happy'.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
. People don't generally like experiencing change. If everyone had of said it was good back then instead of the insane backlash we got then the final product would of been closer to this. The "fans" complained to have their way and Ninja Theory changed a hell of a lot to make people more 'happy'.
Actually the main reason of the backlash was the timing of that TGS trailer it couldn't have been timed any worse it was just 2 years after releasing the mediocre DMC4 the series suddenly gets a reboot and many new fans were just getting used to DMC series.

The funny thing i find is the some of DMC fans still don't like NTDante even if he was completely given a new look and personality closer to DMC3 dante.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the TGS trailer was interesting but in the end their was no chance of that Dante being the one we played as. the Dante we ended up with is close enough to the other versions that he can be considered to be basically the same character, the TGS version was not.

aoshi

I jus can't picture a vergil version of him since both dante and vergil are twins and are supposed to look alike.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Sorry everybody but I thought this Dante wasn't "cool"...lol

Why are you sorry >.<

I didn't think he was cool, either. I liked his redesign, but I tried not to get too attached to it considering how early on in development it was. Still loved that "What...is...your...name?" bit though. That was cool, especially for a reveal of the character's name.

I still think they should have used this trailer for the announcement.

It gives a better idea of the concepts revolving around Limbo, and Dante's Devil Trigger.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I can understand the aim of that raw and violent edge they gave the TGS2010 trailer, since it goes really well with their ideas around Dante, but...it's sorta like LordOfDarkness said, it's sometimes difficult for people to experience change, and this trailer was so wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am that it was hard to wrap your head around.

The CG Trailer is paced in such a way that you can see and understand the smaller details, those concepts they want you to see.

The CG trailer tells you how things have changed, while the TGS2010 trailer just showed you that things changed >.<

aoshi

Remember that Vergil is much more clean cut and affluent-looking that Dante is :p

My point exactly. It would be hard to give a clean cut version of this TGS dante. May be with a lot of compromise that we would be forced to accept. Jus like DmC......:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom