• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Should there be a limit to the fanservice?

GF9000000Returns

Those women, who under the guise of feminism, think they are superior to men, and think men are what's wrong with the world, are idiotic sexist.

By definition, if you believe in equality for women, you are a feminist. That would make me one as well.

*shrug* I guess you can count me in as well for the equality of women. I just didn't wanna be associated with the fake tumblr ones, hence why I said I hated them in a general statement.

GF9000000Returns

I'm simply asking there's too much for.
You ?
Or the mature audience who doesn't mind it ?

Juuuust the physics and designs. I don't have a problem if anyone likes it, it is what it is. I'm just saying that not every female character has to have those features. That's the only thing I agree with Ms. Anita Sarkeesian. Other than that, I despise her.

Yea i've heard of that but i think it's a bit harsh.

Not to me. They call men pigs. I guess you can say that I'm a guy that fights fire with fire.

GF9000000Returns

@GF9000000Returns
You should start out then by saying I have a limit to the fanservice not should there be a limit to the fanservice which involves the idea that it should be limited for everyone because it's not your cup of tea.

That's the way forums work, people have to be specific otherwise others will think that person wants to take something away from everybody.

Nope. I think the title is fine the way it is, cuz I was just asking for you guys' opinion, even if the answer was going to be obvious. I'm not saying everyone should go make a petition to ban all of the oversexualized games or tell the directors to change the designs, even if I wished they did, it's their work, I can ignore it, as some of yall here said already.

Yes they do but two wrongs don't make a right.

Fair point.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
You're faulting M-Rated content in M-Rated games.
Not really i'm just annoyed by the "fan-service" i don't mind it when its not in my face.
That's like blaming MortalKombat for having blood in it or GTAV for foul language
Exactly! Parasite eve was a serious ARPG with a strong female character downgrading her to mere eye candy is just B.S.

If it was some wacky game like bayonetta then i can understand the fan service but when its in a serious game like Hitman its just annoying.

For ex:The sexualized nurse&Pyramid head in SH 2 symbolize James's personal problems.. but including it in homecoming and the movie is just for the sake of fan service it makes 0% sense from the plot's perspective.
By definition, if you believe in equality for women, you are a feminist. That would make me one as well.
If its for equality then why is it called "femisnism" shouldn't it be called "Gender Equalism" or something? the whole movement seems too sketchy to me..

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So here's how I see it if y'all don't mind.

I believe that there CAN be a limit to fan service and how developers want to go about it, but at the same tme, who the hell are you to judge when you don't even have to watch it or play it? I see this too much on Tumblr where something sexualized comes out and people complain about how too sexualized it is and go into a "this is why oversexualization of women is wrong" rant. (but when it's naked men, then that's an entirally different story) However the thing about it is; if you don't like it, why are you watching it? If you don't enjoy what you see, turn away, don't by the game, change the channel, turn it off. You may not like it, but there are people who do, and if you don't like it, don't ruin it for everyone. Walk away. People like that aren't being advocates of society, they're just being obnoxious about something they could skip and NOT WATCH. At all.

-Fanservice is something for those who WANT to watch fan service. Don't get mad at DOA5 for having boob physics and girls in revealng clothes. Don't play the bloody game. There are plenty other games with strong female characters who are better dressed.
-If you hate sex scenes in movies, don't watch that movie. read the rated-R tag where it says "sexual content and nudity." "Aw but my favorite actor is in it and I like the story" TOO. BAD. You hate sex in movies, then don't see it.

With Dead or Alive, 13th Birthday, Mortal Kombat, etc. with female characters looking sexy with boobs and all, I believe its all on preference. What the creator wants to do with his characters are HIS/HER decision. If you don't like it, then don't go near it. You CAN avoid it. If it's not constantly shoved in your face, then pay it no mind. If you want to play it but don't want to see the sex, sip the scene or something.

And with movies like, for example, 50 shades of Grey; If you don't like it, don't watch it. I didn't like it at all, but I'm not going to ****ing raise picket signs outside movie theaters and complain about it. I just wont pay it any mind and move on with my life.

And of course, there's anime. The mother of fanservice.
It's the same in my opinion. Don't like it, don't watch it. Just because you don't like the panty shots, big boobs, innuendos, and the like, doesn't mean complaining about it is any better. That'd be like me complaining about how there's too much intimidating women in ****ing game of thrones; all I'd have to do is stop watching it. The same can be said for excessive anime fan service; don't watch it.

This day in age, I feel like people don't know how to leave something alone when they don't like it. If you hate it, don't go to it. If it makes you uncomfortable, walk away from it. If you feel it objectifies you, leave it alone and move on. Because in the long run, complaining about fan service won't make it go away. There will always be something peverted for both men and women and complaining about one form of media doing it won't make it all go away in an instant.

Our society is just really sensitive to this kind of thing these days and it really needs to be handled in a better way.

Meg

If its for equality then why is it called "femisnism" shouldn't it be called "Gender Equalism" or something? the whole movement seems too sketchy to me..
*actually knows the history behind the term "feminism"*

The term was initially coined in the late 1800s in France. In America, it caught on after women gained the right to vote. Look at it this way, women had just gained the right to vote after over one hundred years of activism. Do the sentences "racism died with slavery" and "the civil rights movement ended and now everyone's equal" ring a bell? Same thing going on after women gained the right to vote. Not only that, but the people who fought for that right were called suffragists. Women's Suffrage was the name of the movement. So after the right to vote was gained, women needed a new name. Something radical. Something in your face. Something to firmly establish women's rights as something that was important and impossible to ignore.

Feminism.

The term hasn't evolved with the movement. But that's why feminism is called what it is. Hope that helps dispel any sketchiness.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
To me, there's no real problem with excessive fan-service, as long as it doesn't detract with the experience, contrast with the tone of the narrative, or worst of all...sway the emphasis away from the gameplay.

Case and point: Namco's fallen angel, the SoulCalibur series. Now, this series has ALWAYS had some level of fan-service. Ivy's absurdly-large rack, Taki's skin-tight ninja suit, Xianghua's victory moves that literally had the camera pan towards her rear as she lets off a cheeky wink...this kind of thing has been in the Soul series since its debut on the PlayStation, and the developers have found new and "innovative" ways to promote the sexuality of its female characters through the constant leaps through hardware and graphics. But until recently, this never hindered the actual gameplay. The emphasis was still on fighting mechanics, each character still recieved arcade endings and multiple weapons/costumes (regardless of gender or sex appeal), and the heart of the game was still dedicated to multiple game modes.

But as of SoulCalibur V, the series now RIDES on its fan-service. Armor damage was deliberately added to remove more of the female characters' clothes, almost all of the gameplay and extra has been neutered to put a further emphasis on Character Creation, and most if not all the character customization itself is now dedicated to female anatomy and outfits...with most of the DLC consisting of skimpier female outfits. SoulCalibur V tumbled headfirst into an emphasis on fan-service rather than gameplay, and was pandering to perverts instead of fans---which would explain why the game sold a rancid THIRD of what SoulCalibur IV sold not four years earlier, on the same generation of consoles.

The gaming industry should regard this game as a cautionary tale, and teach developers to make games first and virtual Playboy magazines second.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
To me, there's no real problem with excessive fan-service, as long as it doesn't detract with the experience, contrast with the tone of the narrative, or worst of all...sway the emphasis away from the gameplay.

Case and point: Namco's fallen angel, the SoulCalibur series. Now, this series has ALWAYS had some level of fan-service. Ivy's absurdly-large rack, Taki's skin-tight ninja suit, Xianghua's victory moves that literally had the camera pan towards her rear as she lets off a cheeky wink...this kind of thing has been in the Soul series since its debut on the PlayStation, and the developers have found new and "innovative" ways to promote the sexuality of its female characters through the constant leaps through hardware and graphics. But until recently, this never hindered the actual gameplay. The emphasis was still on fighting mechanics, each character still recieved arcade endings and multiple weapons/costumes (regardless of gender or sex appeal), and the heart of the game was still dedicated to multiple game modes.

But as of SoulCalibur V, the series now RIDES on its fan-service. Armor damage was deliberately added to remove more of the female characters' clothes, almost all of the gameplay and extra has been neutered to put a further emphasis on Character Creation, and most if not all the character customization itself is now dedicated to female anatomy and outfits...with most of the DLC consisting of skimpier female outfits. SoulCalibur V tumbled headfirst into an emphasis on fan-service rather than gameplay, and was pandering to perverts instead of fans---which would explain why the game sold a rancid THIRD of what SoulCalibur IV sold not four years earlier, on the same generation of consoles.

The gaming industry should regard this game as a cautionary tale, and teach developers to make games first and virtual Playboy magazines second.
Recently Namco commissioned a hentai artist to make a new outfit for two female fighters. Ivy and some other girl which it really doesn't seem to fit with.

This has just got laughably ridiculous.

DragonMaster2010

So...will you buy and play SC5 then?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Soul Calibur V was marketed with posters of Ivy's ass and cleavage. Try to justify that now.

I'm not prude or anything. Like seriously, I'll put my money on me being the kinkiest one here on this forum. But even I can roll my eyes at the attempts to tickle my male fancy. I'm a 22 year old adult, not some prepubescent teenager.

A mature mindset when handling the material will be the deciding factor on whether or not I can take this stuff seriously if you actually want me to. If the gaming industry was a person, it would be a 14 year old boy.

WolfOD64

So...will you buy and play SC5 then?
I'm waiting for the pseudo-confirmed SoulCalibur 6. It may have the chance for redemption gameplay-wise, now that Daishi Odashima has left Project Soul. He was the one primarily responsible for the broken, SSF4-esque gameplay changes.

With the way Lost Souls marketed off its fan-service, I'm certain the emphasis on skimpy outfits and character customization is here to stay. But I'm still hoping a sequel will at least play better.
@DragonMaster2010Yes SoulCaliburIV is better but all of SoulCaliburV gameplay & fanservice took hits.
Yes, and how much of the Character Creation, the mode Project Soul sold as the main selling point of SCV, was dedicated to fan-service? How much DLC consisted of skimpy outfits instead of armor or weapons? Hell, the entirety of the SCV spin-off, Lost Swords, is DEDICATED to selling downloadable G-strings and spiky bikini's for Ivy and Sophitia.

The gameplay took a hit from the fan-service because it had been obliterated as a direct result of Project Soul putting their time and focus in such medial and superficial extras, in a shameless attempt to turn it into SoulCalibur V: Extreme Volley Ball.
Recently Namco commissioned a hentai artist to make a new outfit for two female fighters. Ivy and some other girl which it really doesn't seem to fit with.

You must be joking. I leapt off the Lost Swords hype train after Namco announced the Bikini DLC...but this?! THIS happened in my absence...?!

My God. This is actually worse than I imagined. And I don't even know if I should feel disgusted or amused.
Soul Calibur V was marketed with posters of Ivy's ass and cleavage. Try to justify that now.
SoulCalibur
tumblr_mltwefE5Ow1r5hsipo1_r2_400.jpg

tumblr_mltwefE5Ow1r5hsipo2_r2_400.jpg

tumblr_mltwefE5Ow1r5hsipo3_r2_400.jpg

SoulCalibur II

4sfzLGr.jpg

SoulCalibur IV
471227-sciv6.jpg

SoulCalibur V

soul5werbung-big.jpg

soulcalibur_v_ad_IvyBottom.jpg

Take a nice, long look at how these games used to be promoted, and how it's promoted now. Then you'll see how shamefully low the series has fallen.

I'm not prude or anything. Like seriously, I'll put my money on me being the kinkiest one here on this forum.
I'll just regard that as a naive and amusing challenge, boyo. :whistle:[/QUOTE]

DragonMaster2010

I'm waiting for the pseudo-confirmed SoulCalibur 6. It may have the chance for redemption gameplay-wise, now that Daishi Odashima has left Project Soul. He was the one primarily responsible for the broken, SSF4-esque gameplay changes.

With the way Lost Souls marketed off its fan-service, I'm certain the emphasis on skimpy outfits and character customization is here to stay. But I'm still hoping a sequel will at least play better.

Yes, and how much of the Character Creation, the mode Project Soul sold as the main selling point of SCV, was dedicated to fan-service? How much DLC consisted of skimpy outfits instead of armor or weapons? Hell, the entirety of the SCV spin-off, Lost Swords, is DEDICATED to selling downloadable G-strings and spiky bikini's for Ivy and Sophitia.

The gameplay took a hit from the fan-service because it had been obliterated as a direct result of Project Soul putting their time and focus in such medial and superficial extras, in a shameless attempt to turn it into SoulCalibur V: Extreme Volley Ball.

You must be joking. I leapt off the Lost Swords hype train after Namco announced the Bikini DLC...but this?! THIS happened in my absence...?!

My God. This is actually worse than I imagined. And I don't even know if I should feel disgusted or amused.

SoulCalibur
tumblr_mltwefE5Ow1r5hsipo1_r2_400.jpg

tumblr_mltwefE5Ow1r5hsipo2_r2_400.jpg

tumblr_mltwefE5Ow1r5hsipo3_r2_400.jpg

SoulCalibur II

4sfzLGr.jpg

SoulCalibur IV
471227-sciv6.jpg

SoulCalibur V

soul5werbung-big.jpg

soulcalibur_v_ad_IvyBottom.jpg

Take a nice, long look at how these games used to be promoted, and how it's promoted now. Then you'll see how shamefully low the series has fallen.

I'll just regard that as a naive and amusing challenge, boyo. :whistle:
[/QUOTE]
But as I said; if you don't like it, don't play it or buy it. Complaining about it might make you feel better but it wont make it go away. I say just ignore the game and wait for the possible SC6.

WolfOD64

But as I said; if you don't like it, don't play it or buy it. Complaining about it might make you feel better but it wont make it go away. I say just ignore the game and wait for the possible SC6.
One can only be so leisurely. I'm terrified that SCVI will end up emulating the style and focus of V. It may sound like complaining and disdain, but I'm also voicing my concerns for what the sixth game might end up being.

Once again, the complaint isn't the fan-service itself, because it's always been a part of the Soul series since the beginning. My problem is how it's utilized.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Oh Lordy lordy lordy....On one hand, well female character's do tend to be overly sexualized...that being said not every man is some big tough guy with like 40 inch biceps like Kratos, or a cool pretty boy like Dante showing off his six pack.... Though I will agree some of the ways it's used for promotion is a bit over the top

WolfOD64

@WolfOD64What was sold as the core game SoulCaliburV everything was from fanservice to gameplay was reduced from the previous SoulCalibur titles.
Everything you listed is optional content offered to you after the core game was already out & sold.
Content gamers didn't have to buy.

And that matters...how? You do realize that the past Character Customization DLC included multiple sets of armor and weapons, right? That's because the emphasis of the

And it's not like the DLC for SCV has a healthy bunch of armor pieces or additional weapons...nearly 75% of the costumes that have been released are nonsensical outfits and shrinking clothing for the sake of draping female characters in as little as possible. And having that much DLC for female characters released in rapid succession after the game's release pretty much amounts to one thing: Project Soul made a preordained decision to shift the focus from gameplay and fighting, to Character Customization, with the intention to continously bank off of this mode by offering not additional armor or weapons...but fan-service items. And they took it to an even more obscene degree when they applied the exact same concept for Lost Swords, which has next to ONLY female costumes and bikinis for purchasable extras.

This isn't simply bonus content or additional consumerism...Project Soul literally tailored post-purchase monetary success around fan-service outfits, and left everything else in the game to wither away to dust. Everything substantial to the game was removed so that time and effort could be spent adding Customization options for players to ogle their characters from every angle the Character Customization camera offers.

If Project Soul wants to offer skimpy outfits, or just have an outright nude option in the form of DLC, I really couldn't care less. But when they start putting a stronger emphasis on fanservice-based Character Customization instead of the fighting mechanics, extra modes, or smoothening out the abhorrent multiplayer netcode, that's where it stops being gratuitous extras and starts getting the way of the game.

Go to 8WAYRUN, and skim the forums to see how many SoulCalibur fans are happy about this shift in focus. Fans payed for a fighting game, not a glorified dress-up simulator.

And those ads i'm sorry but i've haven't seen them constantly tossed at customers on a daily bases.
So, because you haven't seen the ads before now MUST MEAN that they were never used as promotional material, or utilized as a means to depict the game content to worldwide consumers.

Seems legit.

If they wanted to turn SoulCalibur V into Extreme Volley Ball don't you think they would've did it by including all of those skimpy outfits, G-strings and spiky bikini's as choices in the core game & not as optional content.
Ah, yes, you're right! After all, Dead or Alive never tried to incorporate DLC on the PS2...I wonder why that is. It probably has nothing to do with hardware limitations. That's probably why they've made a point of having skimpy costume DLC in every game released on current and last-gen hardware...you know, where they COULD offer DLC.

2. Since it was optional content do you think the many who bought it had issue with it.
Last time I checked, I never claimed to be speaking for everyone. Obviously, there are people who buy these costumes. The success of Lost Swords is a testimony to that.

3. Do you actually own SoulCaliburV or Lost Swords?
No, I don't own V...yes, I have played it. A friend lent me his copy for an entire summer, and I was sick of it in under the first month.

I gave Lost Swords a chance, but I only got a few months in before I removed it from my PS3.

I make it a point of playing almost every SoulCalibur, even if I can't own all of them. The only one I haven't played is Unbreakable Soul, but a card-based spin-off game hardly constitutes as an entry in the series, any more than Devil May Cry 4: Refrain constitutes as a DMC game.

GF9000000Returns

If that artist dares to touch any of the future SC titles, then I'll leave that damn franchise for good. They can say goodbye to my money. *cringe*

Oh Lordy lordy lordy....On one hand, well female character's do tend to be overly sexualized...that being said not every man is some big tough guy with like 40 inch biceps like Kratos, or a cool pretty boy like Dante showing off his six pack....

Finally somebody else says it besides me! Balanced roster>80% oversexualized roster. It's just my preference, I can't speak for everyone.

Anyway, did any of yall see this topic yet? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...over-sexualised-costumes-sparks-heated-debate

For me, I'm sorta in between about it. While I commend the team for stepping up and showing that DoA is more than just boobs and yaoi(god, I hate that), I also think they're overdoing it. In a fighting game tournament, nobody gets offended by almost everything, so the censorship is pointless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom