• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Same Dante, just younger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

icmasticc

There's been some heavy debate on this, so I decided to make a thread to ask a simple question. We've all, no doubt, seen the interview where Alex Jones from Capcom USA said "This is the same Dante, just younger. We're looking at a retelling of his origin story.". Basically, what is everyone's opinion on this statement? What does it mean to you personally?

To me, saying that it's the same Dante and that it's a retelling of his origin story sounds like a DMC 3 remake of sorts. I know there's debate about the words "reboot" and "prequel" being thrown around but think about it. DMC3 is supposed to be Dante's origin story in the main series. Alex Jones says this new game is supposed to be a retelling of his origin story. The keyword here is "retelling". You can't retell something that has never been told before, it's a contradiction. They'll probably never say it, but this game is probably something more along the lines of a re-imagining of DMC3.

I don't think the tower or Arkham will make a return, but this should mean something else. In my opinion, this should confirm that, in this game, Dante is still a half-demon, he is still the son of Sparda, and his brother(Maybe not a twin in this game) is still Vergil. Alex Jones also said something to the effect of the Dante we've seen will not neccesarily be the Dante we play on the screen throughout the entire game. This could be a game that obviously starts way before DMC3 but eventually begins to take cue's from DMC3.

If this is in fact, a retelling, Dante should still have a DT in game which is also debated. His origin story in DMC3 showed us how his DT was awakened. Why should this game, if it is a retelling, be any different? This is just my opinion of course based the wording used by Mr. Jones. What do you guys think?

VirgilTheart

icmasticc;276760 said:
There's been some heavy debate on this, so I decided to make a thread to ask a simple question. We've all, no doubt, seen the interview where Alex Jones from Capcom USA said "This is the same Dante, just younger. We're looking at a retelling of his origin story.". Basically, what is everyone's opinion on this statement? What does it mean to you personally?

To me, saying that it's the same Dante and that it's a retelling of his origin story sounds like a DMC 3 remake of sorts. I know there's debate about the words "reboot" and "prequel" being thrown around but think about it. DMC3 is supposed to be Dante's origin story in the main series. Alex Jones says this new game is supposed to be a retelling of his origin story. The keyword here is "retelling". You can't retell something that has never been told before, it's a contradiction. They'll probably never say it, but this game is probably something more along the lines of a re-imagining of DMC3.

I don't think the tower or Arkham will make a return, but this should mean something else. In my opinion, this should confirm that, in this game, Dante is still a half-demon, he is still the son of Sparda, and his brother(Maybe not a twin in this game) is still Vergil. Alex Jones also said something to the effect of the Dante we've seen will not neccesarily be the Dante we play on the screen throughout the entire game. This could be a game that obviously starts way before DMC3 but eventually begins to take cue's from DMC3.

If this is in fact, a retelling, Dante should still have a DT in game which is also debated. His origin story in DMC3 showed us how his DT was awakened. Why should this game, if it is a retelling, be any different? This is just my opinion of course based the wording used by Mr. Jones. What do you guys think?

THANK YOU. :) You honestly took the words right out of my mouth. ^_^

icmasticc

Lol, that's just how it struck me when I first read it. In my opinion, a lot of people are doing a lot of over-thinking and a lot of over-analyzing. As they slowly release information, it just seems like they're going the way of the "prequel" but a redone prequel so to speak. Yes, this is Dante's origin story but no, it's not before DMC3 or in line with the main series, we're retelling it the way we envision. Like I said, you can't retell something that's never been told before.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think if they take the identical twin factor out of the equation, I'm out. Completely. Vergil is the only real hope I have left. If he's not in it, or they re-imagine him to be completely different to Dante as well, I think I might fall into a deep depression that involves eating a tub of ice cream and lots of chocolate while watching DMC3 cutscenes. And then I'll rant at NT and Capcom until they block me from their servers.

Nah, just kidding.

I didn't see DMC3 as Dante's origin story. It was his debut for his awakening, sure, but I attach the word 'origin' with the meaning of source, the nether regions where he came from, going back to his roots. In other words, his 'before' story. Before everything we know of him took place. All we were told in DMC3 was that he was a troubled youth who had issues, lived in the seedy part of town, and that he was violent/aggressive in nature. A real bad apple. I might not be smitten with his new look but it does fit that description like a glove, or am I wrong?

With 'retelling' his origin story, it probably means that they're taking the few vague scraps of his history that Capcom has given us through manga, novels and comics, and turning it into something solid/factual for fans to really take in. And since it's a 'younger' Dante ( and AU :dry:) we might get some more info about Eva and his home life, or the tragedy that split his family up. She might still be alive in-game, or they might pick it up from not long after she was killed. What I'm trying to say is that retelling his origins, to me, means that they're going to give us a broken down Dante that has no real direction in life and is just finding his feet after the traumatic events he's put through.

icmasticc

That's a good way to think about it Chloe. That same thought crossed my mind about the Novels, Manga, and his actual history with his mother and Sparda and what not.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Chloe_Ryder;276767 said:
I think if they take the identical twin factor out of the equation, I'm out. Completely. Vergil is the only real hope I have left. If he's not in it, or they re-imagine him to be completely different to Dante as well, I think I might fall into a deep depression that involves eating a tub of ice cream and lots of chocolate while watching DMC3 cutscenes. And then I'll rant at NT and Capcom until they block me from their servers.

Nah, just kidding.

I didn't see DMC3 as Dante's origin story. It was his debut for his awakening, sure, but I attach the word 'origin' with the meaning of source, the nether regions where he came from, going back to his roots. In other words, his 'before' story. Before everything we know of him took place. All we were told in DMC3 was that he was a troubled youth who had issues, lived in the seedy part of town, and that he was violent/aggressive in nature. A real bad apple. I might not be smitten with his new look but it does fit that description like a glove, or am I wrong?

With 'retelling' his origin story, it probably means that they're taking the few vague scraps of his history that Capcom has given us through manga, novels and comics, and turning it into something solid/factual for fans to really take in. And since it's a 'younger' Dante ( and AU :dry:) we might get some more info about Eva and his home life, or the tragedy that split his family up. She might still be alive in-game, or they might pick it up from not long after she was killed. What I'm trying to say is that retelling his origins, to me, means that they're going to give us a broken down Dante that has no real direction in life and is just finding his feet after the traumatic events he's put through.

That's not the way Chloe...You have to become a prt of the Yorozuya to do that.

Ahem...moving on

About the retelling...if the manga didn't give us enough along with the DMC 1 novels,that Kamiya files as cannon[along with Capcom]...hell,I really don't know how much deeper we must delve.I mean Dante was just arriving in town and he was laready infamous for his behaviour and "hunting methods" in the DMC3 manga.

All in all,they want to say : "We are making a retelling of Devil May Cry,but instead of starting from DMC1 we will start from DMC3...and maybe before."

Chloe_Ryder;276767 said:

Nah, just kidding.

Interesting theory.
Maybe it´s just Dante going through his puberty,a few years back from DMC3.
It´s sure going to be an interesting story,can´t wait :).

Potsi

icmasticc;276760 said:

After nerdraging on another thread and reading more views about the upcoming game, it's starting to make sense now.

If this is basically a remake of DMC3 then ok, maybe I'll check it out (even though I hate the new Dante :mad:).

But if this game takes place before DMC3 (which would explain why Dante looks so lame :verymad:) then that means he wouldn't have his DT. A DMC game with no Devil Trigger? Sounds pretty weak to me.

There's nothing more satisfying than turning into a demon and going apesh*t on a bunch of monsters :p

Chrysander

It can be a "retelling" of something that hasn't been "told", because they can put things like Dante getting his Devil Trigger for the first time, into this game, which therefore means he didn't get it for the first time in DMC3, therefore it is rewriting his history, in which he previously didn't have DT. It can be a "prequel" in as much as it is set at an earlier time in the character's life, and it can also be a reboot, in as much as it's not the same story as before (or has different elements). But of course, a true "prequel" would be in the same universe, which this is not. But I think everybody knows what to expect, I am not sure what the confusion is now.

Tony

Demonslayer
Master Vergil;276767 said:

Nah, just kidding.

I totally agree with that.
They said the game is about Dante becomes the Dante we know. So I think this means, that he was someone different before.
And reagrding the fact, that he had lost his mother and his Brother (I think he was 8 when that happened)... and his father was gone, dont know where... probably he was living in an orphanage or without a home.
He hates his father, because he think that it was his fault that his mother died, that's a good basics to become a criminal outlaw.
Than he dyed his hair and called himself Tony when he was caught by the Police....
just my fantasy ^^"

(sorry for my bad english)

moseslmpg

There's already a thread on this exact topic with over 1000 replies...

In any case, the statement didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now. Either DINO is a prequel or a reboot. This statement implies prequel.

BTW if it is a "retelling" whatever that inane buzzword means, there's no reson anything has to be the same or similar to DMC3. What I think they mean is that it is an alternative origin story for Dante that is not canonical to the actual series.

Asmodaius

I think it is a reboot in that sense that it is not canon to the original series. They have swiped everything off the table and said "let's do this over", not "let's do this again".

I do not see this as a prequal of the original series, but as a re-envision of Dante's origins. Some things we've seen in the original series could happen in DmC as well, such as Dante having a twin brother, they are sons of Sparda etc. However, the rules from the past DMC games have been remade. They might choose to re-use some of the things we know from the past four DMC games and they might make some completely new ones. Some of the new things are Dante's appearance such as his hair, he is no longer invulnerable, he has a smoking addiction, his weapon can change shape and form, and so on. However, some of the things they re-used are that he dual-wields guns, he kills demonic beings, he is a super-human of some sort, he likes to wear big jackets...

So in a way, he is the same Dante, and he is also a new Dante of sorts. As moses said, an alternative origin story - and with an alternative version of Dante.

Tony

Demonslayer
I think it is both, prequel and reboot.
The reboot is about Dante and his image, and the prequel is most of the story. They want to retell Dantes origin, they wanted him "harder", than he is in DMC3.
"Its not a total different departure, actually it will fit in with most of what we know"
Words by Tameem

moseslmpg

Something cannot simultaneously be a prequel and a reboot. I've explained that.

If it is the same Dante, it is in the same continuity, and so it is a prequel. A reboot is a different continuity altogether. An alternative origin story equals reboot.

I think Capcom and NT are just not aware of the implications of their word choices.

Joel94

i hope that Nt and Capcom stick with the established continuity because Dante's origin, even though we know most of it, we don't know all of it and being sort of a new fan to dmc (almost a year) his origin is something i'd like to know more about but that's just me

Kool626

Demon Slayer
if this dante younger i wonder how younger in dmc3 he must be bout 18 so in dmc5 he must be bout 16 yet he looks older in dmc5 than dmc3 dante
im a bit confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom