• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Running a console game on PC at press-events...deception or not?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
To be honest, I never intended to start any arguments with this thread. By bringing up the bits about PC gaming, I was hoping to convey how the graphical quality of a game will almost always be better than your current console.

I'm my own personal opinion: it's a bit deceptive to advertise a game that's exclusive to consoles, then to obviously downgrade it just for it to work . Infamous Second: Son is still a very pretty game, yet the lighting effects shown at E3 2013 were obviously superior.

PC gaming and Console gaming are both great ways of having fun. Despite preparing to build my own PC, I still have plans on getting consoles to play exclusives on.

Gaming was meant to be fun. Let's at least try to have a little fun. :D

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
MMORPGs.... sigh my god.... Again, you completely ignored all that iconic and acclaimed franchises that i gave you in the past thread. You know, i completely get where you are coming from. There are some games that that i have to wait for a month or two to play on PC either but there ARE hundreds of games in steam and some great indie games for me to play on the PC to wait for that either.

Exactly. With PCs being hugely customizable, it can stay longer than consoles and you can build a great rig with the same prize of a console only if you know what you are doing enough and can have better gaming experience overall. Mine is only pretty expensive due to the fact i live in the Philippines but it can stay longer for many years since next-gen games aren't really that demanding.

Except they can't. Do you know why the reason why there is not a such a massive upgrade from PS3 toPS4? The "best parts" of consoles today are nothing compared to the best parts of PCs today. Even before PS3 was released, PC users are already enjoying PS3 aesthetics and graphics with their games and before even PS4 was released, some PC games along with the help of some mods are able to reach next gen graphics or even better graphics than PS4. Some doesn't even need mods. In short, PCs are always two or three step ahead of consoles in both performance, technical prowess and graphics.

This post shows completely shows our ignorance on PCs. You DON'T need to constantly dump new parts on a PC and no one is forcing you to do that. People don't do that all the time and that's a complete stereotype for PC users. In fact, people who change specs every year or month are rare unless you're rich. Once you bought an I5 or heck an I7 with the other proper requirements it can still last for many, many years without changing it's specs . Heck, my previous Rig lasted at least 11 years and i was still able to play DmC pretty good on that one with decent frame rates. Granted, i did upgraded my RAM and GPU at least but only once.

Also, I might inbox you about PC gaming. You seem to be very knowledgeable of the subject and I'm looking to get into it.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Just curious, but how easy is it to build a PC for gaming? I want to give it a go as I've seen games that I would like to play on PC instead of console.
When I first built my PC, I thought I f**ked up, cause when everything was set up, the power supply died, but when I took it in, the tech guy said I got everything right, but the power supply just died for some unknown reason, so building your own PC is easy as hell when you do the required research.
I followed a few very simple videos like this one:

As for the thread topic, yeah consoles will never surpass PCs, not only in graphics, but everything else.
Graphically consoles have only just managed to grab that 1080p and 60FPS resolution and are marketing the f**k out of it to gullible console fanboys when PCs had that yesteryear and PC is already averaging at 1440p and 120FPS to unlimited FPS, not to mention the 4K Resolution and it isn't even considered that important among the PC gaming community cause we've seen a sh*tload of badass graphic mods since.
Also my personal grudge against consoles is they ruined First Person Shooters, back in my day we had to use the mouse & keyboard to be precise with aiming and rocket jumping, we didn't have no dumbed down hiding behind cover and aim assist.

But yeah it's sh***y that companies use the power of PC to show off games that will never look as good.

Dark Drakan

Admin
When I first built my PC, I thought I f**ked up, cause when everything was set up, the power supply died, but when I took it in, the tech guy said I got everything right, but the power supply just died for some unknown reason, so building your own PC is easy as hell when you do the required research.

I forgot to plug in my GPU power supply the first time I upgraded, showing my age but they didnt have their own power supplies in my day. :laugh:

Beeping when I started PC up made me immediately notice my error, though also had a GPU die on me and to this day I dont know why it did.

How do gamers feel about BS like this
When developers or whomever says this BEFORE demo is what gamers will actually get YET gamers get the FINAL game is what's sold.

Now that was flat out lying, they had the game running well (though looks like it was nothing more than a tech demo at that point). Then pretty much stripped everything out and the product sold to the public was NOTHING like the game they showed originally. There have been many court cases since and still some that are ongoing and rightfully so. Wasnt even just the looks that were toned down, it was animations/physics/lighting and whole sections that were shown off but werent even in the game at all.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I forgot to plug in my GPU power supply the first time I upgraded, showing my age but they didnt have their own power supplies in my day. :laugh:

Beeping when I started PC up made me immediately notice my error, though also had a GPU die on me and to this day I dont know why it did.
Lucky for me, my power supply was under warranty so I got an even better one in return, when I tried starting up my PC, I noticed something was wrong when I could hear the fan on the power supply going, but the rig never booted up, it just kept turning itself off, scared the hell out of me at first lol.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Lucky for me, my power supply was under warranty so I got an even better one in return, when I tried starting up my PC, I noticed something was wrong when I could hear the fan on the power supply going, but the rig never booted up, it just kept turning itself off, scared the hell out of me at first lol.

GPU was brand new and only lasted a matter of weeks, I was sent in circles between support and claims department and gave up in the end. Might not have been the GPU itself but it kept switching to my on board card instead and would send my monitor to standby if I switched it to other card. Worked for 2 weeks with no issues and then thats all I got when I turned it on after that and its still sitting in my cupboard at parents house 7 years later. Since then I havent had a gaming PC and only now I am finally getting around to building another rig and getting back into PC gaming, should have new rig in next few months.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Yeah it was, but i wonder what to the tech demo then.
Why couldn't they used that.

2. And what situations like the gamer suing over the KillZone not 1080p multiplayer thing.
Is that deception or no?

Tech Demos are impressive to showcase things but many simply can't expand tech demos over whole games. They always find that when other systems are added ontop of those base systems then certain limitations come up. I mean look at Star Wars The Force Unleashed, when it showcased its physics in the tech demo before the game released it looked amazing. With possibility of every different material reacting differently depending on force, angle & what it was that hit it. However those systems had to be scaled back in full game & weren't quite as stunning as the tech demo made them out to be.

The systems were still there & physics still reacted as they showed in the demo but textures had to be lowered & overall effects just weren't as impressive as there were so many systems running at once & all interacting with each other the systems just couldn't output that at same rate as the demo.

Didn't whoever explain why KillZone's multiplayer wasn't exactly 1080p or whatever.
Would that situation be considered deception.

They did explain why it wasn't "true" 1080p it outputs at 1080p in single-player and multiplayer, but it isn't native. It uses a processing method that blends 960 x 1080 images together to upscale it. The final framebuffer is 1920*1080, but it's achieved by taking a rendered 960x1080 frame then the previous frame is copied & sent through an algorithm which predicts where they missing pixels should be. Then it displays them for the final frame. Technically speaking it's running in 1080p but it's not native 1080p it's simply upscaled.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Again, you completely ignored all that iconic and acclaimed franchises that i gave you in the past thread. You know, i completely get where you are coming from. There are some games that that i have to wait for a month or two to play on PC either but there ARE hundreds of games in steam and some great indie games for me to play on the PC to wait for that either.
Well yeah but most of the game available on steam are also available on consoles.

Most of the games i play are also have its Console variants there's no such thing as a "steam exclusive" .. steam is just an easier way to buy find&buy games for cheap only downside is that it doesn't have a publish physical copies.

All i was saying is that higher resolution&frame rate doesn't really much of a difference in the long term because mainstream gaming industry if focused on console gaming,whereas Indie gaming is more focused on PC gaming as its a free platform.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well yeah but most of the game available on steam are also available on consoles.

Most of the games i play are also have its Console variants there's no such thing as a "steam exclusive" .. steam is just an easier way to buy find&buy games for cheap only downside is that it doesn't have a publish physical copies.

Depends what you are looking for as I can't think of many games in my Steam library over the years that have also released on consoles. Granted I haven't purchased anything for a while as my laptop sucks but plenty of games on it that aren't on console currently.

More are starting to make their way to consoles & more are being ported to console after PC release these days but at same time PC is starting to become lead platform again for development for lots of franchises. Which is better than PC owners receiving half baked console ports that's for sure & consoles will benefit from this. Also helping with PC development like the case with DayZ when it comes to PS4 & XB1. The things they learn while developing for those can be translated to PC too & certain systems might need to be more optimised for controller input etc on console & can be reverse engineered to help make less cluttered menu systems etc on PC version.

Maxman

Well i'm not into MMORPG's okay? they might as well not exist for all i care... i want GTA 5 on PC! it doesn't matter if i have a PC that's 1000 times stronger than PS3 i still have to wait for a port while i grow a beard and that's just one example i have so many games that were released so many months/years after its console release(and that also only digitally),finding physical copies of niche PC games is a bitch.

Glorious PC master race! waiting for ports.:facepalm: the only thing PC is good for is indie gaming and emulation,console gaming always gets the premium treatment.Nailed it!
Welp, I sure as hell hope this trend starts to change

Maxman

*reads about PC having no mainstream games of its own*

B-But, d-doesn't PC h-have Killing Floor and Shadow Warrior ? D:

Regarding Fighting Games, doesnt PC have Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter X Tekken, Injustice Gods Among Us, Skullgirls and King of Fighters XIII ?
These are all mainstream Fighting Games eh ?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
B-But, d-doesn't PC h-have Shadow Warrior ? D:
Shadow warrior is also on consoles:whistle: PC has a sh!t ton of generic looking action RPG's and FPS shooters that i honestly don't care about,i don't like game such as sims,civilization and skyrim.
Regarding Fighting Games, doesnt PC have Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter X Tekken, Injustice Gods Among Us, Skullgirls and King of Fighters XIII ?
These are all mainstream Fighting Games eh ?
But i don't like street fighter4 or mortal kombat,i only prefer Tekken and its NOT on PC! FUUUUUU :banghead: not to mention KOF XIII&Castle crashers took damn forever to come to PC! i was honestly surprised to see that they made it to steam,see this is the bullshit late port i'm talking about.

KOF XIII&Castle crashers got released in 2010 and got a PC release in 2013! :mad: they're just 2d games does porting really take THAT much time?

But hey! at least i can hope that POP classic remake,Scott PilgrimVSThe world,Castlevania Rebirth,dragon's crown will make it to steam before i have name my grandchildren!:thumbsup:and if it doesn't i will just fu**ing emulate it!

Last edited:

Maxman

Shadow warrior is also on consoles:whistle: PC has a sh!t ton of generic looking action RPG's and FPS shooters that i honestly don't care about,i don't like game such as sims,civilization and skyrim.But i don't like street fighter4 or mortal kombat,i only prefer Tekken and its NOT on PC! FUUUUUU :banghead: not to mention KOF XIII&Castle crashers took damn forever to come to PC! i was honestly surprised to see that they made it to steam,see this is the bullshit late port i'm talking about.

KOF XIII&Castle crashers got released in 2010 and got a PC release in 2013! :mad: they're just 2d games does porting really take THAT much time?

But hey! at least i can hope that POP classic remake,Scott PilgrimVSThe world,Castlevania Rebirth,dragon's crown will make it to steam before i have name my grandchildren!:thumbsup:and if it doesn't i will just fu**ing emulate it!
I believe Tekken 7 has a chance to go PCs for the first time

Dark Drakan

Admin
*reads about PC having no mainstream games of its own*

Im more impressed by the games that havent been 'mainstream' or been by AAA developers lately as they seem to be far more ambitious and thinking outside the box than anything else on the market currently.

Dark Drakan

Admin
@Dark Drakan
1. Okay so it's basically a tech demo is them picking out the best scenes from the overall game, making it really shiny, & then claiming it's running on a gaming console?

But isn't that a certain level of deception at a point.
They're showcasing what they want it to do, what they had planned on doing & not how in reality it's not like that.
Isn't that deceiving the gamers ? Shouldn't developers be held accountable for it.
Should they stop that level of deception ?

The systems are there & they do work but you never see them that close or in that intimate of a situation. With so much else going on, on screen & so many other lighting & particle effects going on it never matches that tech demo. Not lying because systems are there & to an extent they do work as they said just not as well as shown in such a small demo & not exactly the same as that scenario. However they do work as stated but still doesn't match how impressive tech demo looked. The tech demo was only created to show off the engine that is under the hood unfortunately.

Much like the tech demo of the engine that is running Ubisoft''s The Divison. They state it's not all footage from The Division (forested areas etc) but it is the engine that's under the hood & works the systems inside the game.

Dark Drakan

Admin
So even if they say the tech demo is running on a console & it really isn't, it's not deception ?

But the actual systems & engines are running, they just don't look as impressive as that as you never get that close to anything to see that level of detail etc. So everything pretty much works like that, even though it's not quite as detailed as that (not many pieces of wood like those in the trailer in Star Wars). Trees just don't look as impressive as boards splintering etc like shown in tech demo.

If a company states something is console footage & then actual game looks nothing like that they get called out on it these days. With everyone arguing over FPS & resolution every pixel is under scrutiny at the moment so won't get away with it if final product doesn't match other footage.

Sad but true.. it seems like innovation has been compromised for AAA budget.

AAA developers are often afraid to take certain risks as one flop AAA title can bankrupt a company. With games rivalling movie budgets many are simply not willing to rock the boat too much with their franchises. Indies & smaller developers don't have to go for AAA graphics/top voice actors/motion capture/using expensive development tools/software etc & are free to experiment with things.

Dark Drakan

Admin
That's why there's more story/QTEs & less improvisation gameplay so there's more of a guarantee everything runs as the developer wants ?

Like Beyond2Souls
They spent alot of money making these paths so the QTEs will make sure gamers play through them as the development team can't run the risk of wasting money because the gamers can avoided them.

More story heavy games these days as that is the direction games are going, more developers like to tell compelling stories in their titles. Story heavy games seem to be the ones that are still talked about long after gamers have finished them. QTEs are included normally because games end up so story driven that the developers need to find ways to get gamers to be able to interact in these story heavy scenes rather than sit through hours of cutscenes.

In the case of Ryse (QTE heavy game) it was reverse engineered from being a Kinect exclusive title & was best system they could replace the gestures with without rebuilding game from scratch.

Dark Drakan

Admin
@Dark Drakan
I understand wanting the players to feel part of the action but doesn't having it at every turn takeaway the players choices & freedom of experiencing the game in a unique way for themselves.

Isn't that deception in saying you're free to play & experience something unique to the individual but it turns out every action the players make is scripted & there's no other ways allowed.

Example:
Treasure chest below on the 1st floor..........1 way out through the door, downstairs, turn left, turn right, open two doors & there's the treasure chest.
No other ways allowed to take.

Improvisation:
The players figures out how to get down.

Thats more design choice than restricted to anything to do with QTE's. Lots of games that are story driven its more about the journey than the destination. The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us give you choices but in some cases it doesnt matter your decision if a character is dying in the story you cant save them. Sometimes thats just how it has to be for the impact moment of the story and I understand that personally. Frustrating sometimes that you cant save a character you like but then it hits you that you cant save them, rather than simply choosing to sacrifice a character you couldnt care less about.

Or what about open world games where areas of the map are locked off till certain objects are reached lol.

That can be a pain sometimes but if world is big enough and then other areas are opened later on due to story events than im fine with that. So long as you are free to roam the areas that are available I dont mind other parts opening up later (early GTA did this a lot).

Top Bottom