• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Running a console game on PC at press-events...deception or not?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Let's just face it, console gaming will never reach the graphical quality of a high-fidelity PC game running at high or ultra. Consoles will always be second best, but does that give game developers the right to show a product at E3 that will OBVIOUSLY be downgraded for console systems?

As in, do what watch Dogs or Infamous: Second Son did. Show off a product in trailer that looks absolutely stunning, yet looks worse in graphical quality when the actual game launches.

Especially when the game is being developed SPECIFICALLY for console.

What do you guys think of this?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
This is not something new teasers,trailers demos all are usually primped up to look the best.

And quite frankly its stupid say that "consoles will always be the second best" when in reality they have more exclusives and they get more attention and PC owners have to wait like months for a port.

It doesn't matter if you own a supercomputer it still doesn't have exclusive games.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
It doesn't matter if you own a supercomputer it still doesn't have exclusive games.

Yeah, yeah have fun pretending on that when i specifically gave you examples in the past. Exclusives has nothing to do with the quality with the performance of a particular platform.

Since we're in the topic of Graphics downgrade, it seems The Witcher 3 is also guilty of this.

http://i.imgur.com/Vs3ne6l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JJ2q3Iq.jpg

Early footage: http://gfycat.com/AgileWebbedGhostshrimp
Current footage: http://gfycat.com/FrightenedSneakyHornbill

Early: http://gfycat.com/PlayfulWellgroomedGallowaycow
Current: http://gfycat.com/AnguishedAlertFawn

Perhaps the current footages that were taken were compressed but both footages was said to be on PC.

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Most games are built using PC tools so it's just easier to showcase them on the hardware they are designed on that's all. It's not a new thing & has been going on for MANY years. They are always going to showcase a game looking its absolute best & that is just the easiest way to do it.

Final product might be "gimped" on consoles but if the game is also releasing on PC & end product still looks that good then makes sense to use the best example as their showcase of the game.

Would be like an artist drawing 3 drawings & then being asked to showcase their work. They are always going to pick the best 1 of the 3 to show.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Yeah, yeah have fun pretending on that when i specifically gave you examples in the past. Exclusives has nothing to do with the quality with the performance of a particular platform.
Well i'm not into MMORPG's okay? they might as well not exist for all i care... i want GTA 5 on PC! it doesn't matter if i have a PC that's 1000 times stronger than PS3 i still have to wait for a port while i grow a beard and that's just one example i have so many games that were released so many months/years after its console release(and that also only digitally),finding physical copies of niche PC games is a bitch.

Glorious PC master race! waiting for ports.:facepalm: the only thing PC is good for is indie gaming and emulation,console gaming always gets the premium treatment.
Most games are built using PC tools so it's just easier to showcase them on the hardware they are designed on that's all. It's not a new thing & has been going on for MANY years. They are always going to showcase a game looking its absolute best & that is just the easiest way to do it
Nailed it!

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This is not something new teasers,trailers demos all are usually primped up to look the best.

And quite frankly its stupid say that "consoles will always be the second best" when in reality they have more exclusives and they get more attention and PC owners have to wait like months for a port.

It's a cold hard fact consoles will always come up short matched against a PC. You have a PC which is the ultimate multimedia hub and can run games consoles can't even handle. You talk exclusives on consoles as if they are really that big of a deal and even if the PC doesn't get those exclusives there are still tons of exclusives for PC when you count all the cool freeware and indie games that will never find their way on to a console.

Not to mention the tons of mods that can extend play for a game because it's able to improve and be something else. I can turn Left 4 Dead 2 in to my own personal Aliens game. Left 4 Dead 2 on Xbox will always be the same.

I don't say this as some kind of PC elitist or fanboy. I mean, I do tend to game more on my console than anything else but, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

If PCs really weren't the superior platform, then how come consoles try to be so much like PCs?

That's not the way to go about it. They need to be about their games and just that. When you turn the consoles in to downgraded PCs then you defeat the purpose of owning a console because you might as well just game on PC.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You constantly dump enough new parts into something & continue doing that whenever needed & any platform will be superior to anything not constantly getting those parts.

It's the parts not the PC.
You're acting like you need to shape your PC in to the ultimate ridiculous gaming platform for it to even be relevant where your PC can be a freaking potato and you can still have better experiences on that with video games than consoles just by the many options PC offers.

You're not making a very good point at all. It's you just trying to bash PC and Xbox once again because you are a Playstation elitist.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Don't tag or quote me here anymore because you're seeing what you want.
Heh, I find this very ironic coming from you and how you twist people's words on here to benefit whatever you're talking about.

No, I'm seeing exactly what you type and your overall feeling on that matter at hand. Don't tell me you aren't completely sided with Playstation. I mean, I'm not telling you to not be. Like what you like, just don't sit there and pass off how you personal feel about this stuff like its the gospel.

I don't have allegiance to any brand. I play on every console and PC. I simply just like to play games. I won't sit there and say consoles are better than PC. Sure for a bit of convenience yes but, the pros outweigh the cons on PC simply making them well, better.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
> But I thought the point to this thread was to discuss whether it's deceptive to showcase games at press events in PC quality. Not to discuss whether the XBox & Playstation are better than PC gaming.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Most of the time even when a game is shown off on a PC they already have it running on the console, they just havent nailed down certain aspects (frame rates/textures/controller key mapping and resolutions). If it says Xbox/Playstation footage and its running on a PC you can bet that most the time the end product will look like that as its already being tested on the consoles. Yeah in the past some may have been 'downgraded' from early footage (Watch Dogs and Dark Souls 2) but its normally for tech reasons and limitations of consoles. After adding final touches they might find that they get frame rate drops that were not present before and have to scale things back to get things running smooth on said console.

Anyway its not like you have to spend hundreds of pounds/dollars etc every year to keep your PC 'relevant'. PC specs dont actually go out of date that fast and I know people who have upgraded their rigs twice in 9 years. You can go out and spend £1000 on a top of the range PC fair enough, however you wont need to replace anything in it for some time to run the latest games. I mean most could build a PC for half that which will run the latest games, its if you want to go crazy on triple monitor setups and ultra settings for everything that you might need a new CPU/GPU more often. Most parts can be carried over to future builds (CD Drives/Hard Drives/SSD/RAM/PSU) for example. You dont have to scrap your PC every 4 years to stay up to date.

Been researching PCs a lot over last 2-3 months as I am building one of my own for first time in 9 years (as there are lots of titles on PC that wont be seen on consoles). Consoles are getting more and more games that they would have been able to run in the past as they are more closely resembling PC architecture these days. Only reason my PC is going to hit around the £1000 mark is I want it to be closer to a top spec PC than a mid range one and dont want to have to upgrade anything anytime soon.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Most of the time even when a game is shown off on a PC they already have it running on the console, they just havent nailed down certain aspects (frame rates/textures/controller key mapping and resolutions). If it says Xbox/Playstation footage and its running on a PC you can bet that most the time the end product will look like that as its already being tested on the consoles.

Anyway its not like you have to spend hundreds of pounds/dollars etc every year to keep your PC 'relevant'. PC specs dont actually go out of date that fast and I know people who have upgraded their rigs twice in 9 years. You can go out and spend £1000 on a top of the range PC fair enough, however you wont need to replace anything in it for some time to run the latest games. I mean most could build a PC for half that which will run the latest games, its if you want to go crazy on triple monitor setups and ultra settings for everything that you might need a new CPU/GPU more often. Most parts can be carried over to future builds (CD Drives/Hard Drives/SSD/RAM/PSU) for example. You dont have to scrap your PC every 4 years to stay up to date.

Been researching PCs a lot over last 2-3 months as I am building one of my own for first time in 9 years (as there are lots of titles on PC that wont be seen on consoles). Consoles are getting more and more games that they would have been able to run in the past as they are more closely resembling PC architecture these days. Only reason my PC is going to hit around the £1000 mark is I want it to be closer to a top spec PC than a mid range one and dont want to have to upgrade anything anytime soon.
Exactly. And just saying, you can still get good gaming even if yours is not that up to date. Source engine can run on a potato plugged in to an onion.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Exactly. And just saying, you can still get good gaming even if yours is not that up to date. Source engine can run on a potato plugged in to an onion.

Yeah you can always turn certain GFX effects and settings down and things are still perfectly playable they just dont look the best they can. Source engine ran easily on my 9 year old PC and even runs on my laptop, so a potato plugged into an onion which is more powerful than both of my current machines put together sounds about right.

So unless a company outright says that certain footage IS console footage & a game is running at a certain FPS and resolution on said console and then the actual console gameplay looks nothing like that and doesnt run at the same FPS/resolution they stated then no its not deception. Still trying to get my head around why they used such old CPU and GPU combo for the next gen consoles.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh I know you don't care. It's why you're so stubborn even when you're wrong about stuff. :unsure:

:sleep:

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just curious, but how easy is it to build a PC for gaming? I want to give it a go as I've seen games that I would like to play on PC instead of console.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Just curious, but how easy is it to build a PC for gaming? I want to give it a go as I've seen games that I would like to play on PC instead of console.
If you're doing it by yourself without any former knowledge about assembling PC's then its kinda messy but if you know someone who can build PC's for you then it shouldn't be a big deal,just make sure to pick the right PSU,CPU,GPU,RAM and a gaming cabinet of your choice.

Dark Drakan

Admin

Ive been out of the loop for a long time and its gotten far easier from research I have been doing and much more user friendly than it was years ago.

There are LOTS of Youtube guides for pretty much everything these days, watched a whole 2 hour build video the other day from start to finish to get a better idea of what im doing.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
It's a cold hard fact consoles will always come up short matched against a PC.
Why does that matter? Gamcube&xbox were technically superior to PS2 and yet PS2 ended up being the undisputed winner of that generation.
You talk exclusives on consoles as if they are really that big of a deal
Well they kinda are.. almost all the mainstream fighting games are in wedlock with the consoles and that means no Tekken,no Marvel Vs Capcom 3 for PC.
when you count all the cool freeware and indie games that will never find their way on to a console.
.. err i can also count the amount of indie games i am missing from XLBA&PSN.

In the end it doesn't seem to me as if consoles are inferior they have their own pros&cons and PC gaming has its own pros&cons.
If PCs really weren't the superior platform, then how come consoles try to be so much like PCs?
"Mainstream appeal" Nintendo learned from its mistakes from gamecube and tried to cater to the casual gaming audience by innovative controls and now both microsoft&sony have also learned that in 2014 they simply can't sell their product saying "here's a box that plays video games" instead they have to go "Oh here's a box that plays video games and also does all this other stuff"
That's not the way to go about it. They need to be about their games and just that.
its 2014 not 1980's lol if they follow that formula they will end up killing console gaming.
When you turn the consoles in to downgraded PCs.
Wait.. consoles ARE downgraded PC's! and PC's are downgraded supercomputers and supercomputers are downgraded human brains! :woot:

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Well i'm not into MMORPG's okay? they might as well not exist for all i care... i want GTA 5 on PC! it doesn't matter if i have a PC that's 1000 times stronger than PS3 i still have to wait for a port while i grow a beard and that's just one example i have so many games that were released so many months/years after its console release(and that also only digitally),finding physical copies of niche PC games is a bitch.

MMORPGs.... sigh my god.... Again, you completely ignored all that iconic and acclaimed franchises that i gave you in the past thread. You know, i completely get where you are coming from. There are some games that that i have to wait for a month or two to play on PC either but there ARE hundreds of games in steam and some great indie games for me to play on the PC to wait for that either.

They freaking should be will all the upgrading & parts added to them just to stay relevant.

Exactly. With PCs being hugely customizable, it can stay longer than consoles and you can build a great rig with the same prize of a console only if you know what you are doing enough and can have better gaming experience overall. Mine is only pretty expensive due to the fact i live in the Philippines but it can stay longer for many years since next-gen games aren't really that demanding.

It would be the same thing if XBOX, playstation, & nintendo made their next gaming console with the best parts available & made the console with the flexibility to be upgraded by the gamers.

Except they can't. Do you know why the reason why there is not a such a massive upgrade from PS3 toPS4? The "best parts" of consoles today are nothing compared to the best parts of PCs today. Even before PS3 was released, PC users are already enjoying PS3 aesthetics and graphics with their games and before even PS4 was released, some PC games along with the help of some mods are able to reach next gen graphics or even better graphics than PS4. Some doesn't even need mods. In short, PCs are always two or three step ahead of consoles in both performance, technical prowess and graphics.

You constantly dump enough new parts into something & continue doing that whenever needed & any platform will be superior to anything not constantly getting those parts.

It's the parts not the PC.

This post shows completely shows our ignorance on PCs. You DON'T need to constantly dump new parts on a PC and no one is forcing you to do that. People don't do that all the time and that's a complete stereotype for PC users. In fact, people who change specs every year or month are rare unless you're rich. Once you bought an I5 or heck an I7 with the other proper requirements it can still last for many, many years without changing it's specs . Heck, my previous Rig lasted at least 11 years and i was still able to play DmC pretty good on that one with decent frame rates. Granted, i did upgraded my RAM and GPU at least but only once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom