• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Rumors and information about what was planned to be in DMC4 but never happened

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Well, in this thread I'll present you with some rumors and facts I gathered in the in the internet , artbooks and people.
Here it goes:
-Kyrie was supposed to be not only the Savior herself, but she was, in fact, to be the evil mastermind mind of all the things happening in Fortuna. Sanctus was( just like everyone else) just a toy in her hands. Apparently she would use Nero to help her to achieve her plans. Capcom gave up on this, thinking fans would be against to have a female villain.They took off all the "evilness" from Kyrie and left her this "cardboard love interest" everybody knows.
-Dante would be completely taken by his demonic side.He would achieve an ultimate devil trigger, very similar to the Desperate Devil Trigger in DMC2, which would making him go berserk , killing his mates Trish and Lady( and innocent citizens, I suppose).Only Nero would be able to stop him.( since Nero has more humanity in him, this would allow him to control his devil within. Dante would regain his "humanity" back and , full of grief and pain, would be hidden from human society, only to be back in DMC2.Capcom though it was too early to do this ( in DMC4), maybe in a future game.
-Gilgamesh and Lucifer were to be real bosses in game, not only DA.

I let you with this since it's too late and I have to sleep, but if you know some rumor or fact related to this, please share!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Making Kyrie the actual villain would have been more interesting that what we got to say the least.

What was Capcom thinking when creating Kyrie? When making a girl that wasn't just eye candy, to them she's just gonna be bland as all hell? They said Kyrie was their attempt to appeal to girl gamers. That's the whole reason why Nero and Kyrie's relationship was in the forefront.

Capcom: Because girls can't get in to action games unless there's that cheesy lovey dovey stuff girls are into. AmIright guiz? Guiz?!

And Dante somehow losing control to the demonic lineage killing Trish and Lady? I actually kinda dig that idea too. Interesting. Was that going to be their explanation to why Dante was so brooding and quiet in DMC 2? Something like that could actually suffice for some decent character development. But oh, they cast all that aside too.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Kyrie being a villain would have been awesome as I love female villains, however the idea of Dante going nuts, killing Trish and Lady and then going all emotional would have killed the franchise for good for me way before DmC happened, I'm really glad Capcom didn't go through with that bullsh*t idea cause as I've said a million times I don't want Dante to become some serious, emotional bore...............again.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Making Kyrie the actual villain would have been more interesting that what we got to say the least.
Right?? It would've been as if Nero were the bad guy all along!

[^SPOILERS]

Also, Dante going insane?? This fits in perfectly with my theory that he's been slowly becoming unhinged throughout the course of the series. Indeed, this would've been a much better story, thanks, Gel.

Also, this would've made a great April Fool's joke had this been not true... but since it is, I'll have to think up something else. :sneaky:

Viper

Premium
Kyrie as a villain would be a nice twist, that would shake both Nero and Credo quite a lot. Not to mention the player. :D
As for their line of thinking that love interests attract girls... the percentage of people that liked the relationship seems to be rather small (I'm in it, lol). Most girls prefer to push her away so Dante and Nero can be together (if Dante ain't busy doing Credo). In fact, if Kyrie was a guy, while everything else stayed the same, he would be far better accepted.

I don't think I'd like Dante going berserk and killing his friends, making him the DMC2 version eventually. I'd like the going berserk thing, but... I guess I don't feel comfortable with Dante going through that much **** in his life. Unless there is a post-DMC2 story and he drags Lady, Trish and Vergil out of Hell.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
All of this sounds awesome. All of this makes sense. Kyrie upstaging Sanctus as a villain, and Dante really going into a demonic bloodrage and killing Lady and Trish in the midst of it, before slipping into the brooding incarnation from DMC2...this sounds like it could've been the best plot to any Devil May Cry game ever...

...which is why I highly doubt Capcom of all people came up with it. This has to be a rumor...I almost can't believe that these people would actually stumble on a good idea, let alone a good STORYTELLING idea. They have never proven themselves competent, especially in the writing department.

Oh, well. I'd keep the whole "Dante goes berserk" thing in the closet, though. It would make a great plot-point for DMC5. Who knows? Maybe he'd have to be stopped by an older, more experienced Nero.

Gel

Premium
Let me see if I remember more things:
-People believed Gloria was meant to be a real person, not Trish's alter ego. Sincerely, I don't buy it, since the first time me and my sister saw Gloria, my sis say "Oh, that's Trish! Those eyes and facial structure are the same". She was right.
-People speculate how deep is the bond between Dante and his sword Rebellion. In the ultimate devil trigger, Rebellion would become his tail.There was a literal translation from Japanese of a text ( from DMC4 material collection artbook) where it was said that in that Ultimate Devil Trigger mode, Dante would be so powerful he would destroy enemies and allies alike. So the rumor about him killing Lady and Trish is apparently true.That translation could be seen in TV Tropes, but it seems someone removed it.Anyway I've a scan of that page if someone want to read it.
- Itsuno said (in DMC2 era) Dante's demonic side would take the best of him. ( I read an old interview with Itsuno, where he said that, so it's not a rumor.)Vergil was right about recognizing the demonic side after all.Dante's denial could cause him to be victim of his own devilish instincts.
-Rumors say it was Kobayashi who butchered DMC4. All of the plans above mentioned belonged to Itsuno and his mates, but Kobayashi refused it all, going for a female friendly version of the story.
-Devil Bringer was to Dante's, but since our man could devil trigger entirely, it would not make sense.So that's when Nero appears...

I can't remember more for now.If I remember , I'll write it down.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Kryie being evil would've been one of the better ideas to be quite honest. But it depended on when that would be revealed. After she got sucked up or before. Because if it was after, it would've been expected. But Kyrie being evil would've been a better idea.

However Dante killing Lady and Trish in a DT rage...nah not feeling that. That honestly seems way too dark for DMC's brand of corn and cheese. Now for DmC however, THAT would be a better place for all that. But DMC is to anime and cartoonish for something so dark.

And if they kept it where Nero was the one to defeat Dante, that would **** off a lot of fans and would bump Dante's "cool" (and I use that term loosely) factor down big time.

-Rumors say it was Kobayashi who butchered DMC4. All of the plans above mentioned belonged to Itsuno and his mates, but Kobayashi refused it all, going for a female friendly version of the story.

See THIS is why I say if they do make a DMC5, KEEP. KOBAYASHI. AWAY. He can do all that fangirl catering stuff with Sengoku Basara, but keep it out of Devil May Cry.

Viper

Premium
@Gel
I don't know if that rumor about him killing Trish and Lady can be taken as true from given evidence. When one says "this character would be so powerful he would destroy enemies and allies alike", they are usually trying to say he has potential for it and no mental brakes to keep himself from doing it, not that deaths would actually happen. Also, in a way ordinary people running around Fortuna and beyond can be counted as allies, since Dante is on side of humans. So... another taste of apocalypse before ultimate showdown?

Reactions: XM.

Gel

Premium
Sure, you right! But it's not farfetched to think that could happen since I highly doubt Lady and Trish would see him destroy everything and more without moving a finger.
Anyway Dante would be an unwilling villain, a Kyrie's victim, just like Nero and all the Order.
Now , could you imagine if Kyrie was a female villain ala Berg Katze?Cold, charming, manipulative?!

Viper

Premium
Sure, you right! But it's not farfetched to think that could happen since I highly doubt Lady and Trish would see him destroy everything and more without moving a finger.
Anyway Dante would be an unwilling villain, a Kyrie's victim, just like Nero and all the Order.
Now , could you imagine if Kyrie was a female villain ala Berg Katze?Cold, charming, manipulative?!

It's tough to say, Lady and Trish seem like they would think a bit first about a decent plan before putting themselves in line of fire, but then again they trust and like Dante, which could cloud their judgement.

Sorry, I don't know who Berg Katze is, and I'd give a different example except I don't really recall any hidden villain of female gender among stuff I know, usually it's the guy that is the traitor (at least when it comes to what we as observers know). Vermouth from Detective Conan comes close, but it's the bad guys she is secretly betraying for her own agenda, so...

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''Indeed, this would've been a much better story''.
Just because Dante would go insane? Well, it would've been a different story, not necessarily better - it depends on your taste.

But I would say that the original plot idea for DMC4 (going through hell in Dante's part of the story) would've been far more interesting than what we got, which was just Dante cleaning up Nero's mess of hell gates he left open.

Another thing I think was planned for DMC4 was that Nero would get an actual Devil Trigger. The concept art shows that, and it looks exactly like the blue DT floating behind him. I also heard Nero's origins would be explained better, though I have no real proof of that. Going off all the symbolism in DMC4, I'd still say he was meant to be some kind of reincarnation of Sparda. I'd guess that since there's an entire research facility, it's possible Nero was actually created there. If that were the case, the plot would essentially take you through Nero's life from the moment of his birth, which would make sense.

Apparently there's unused code in DMC4 that makes it clear Nero was supposed to have a few more weapons, and even a few styles. Whether he'd also get four styles like Dante, or less... no idea.

Railazel

Dante going berserk sounds freaking awesome. Well... that's because I thought that's what happened in DMC2 to explain Dante's mood. Still, this only proves to me that Capcom has some great writing abilities but it's muffled by sticking to a particular concept. It's the reason why I don't like how DmC turned out because there were a lot of good concepts but they were trashed.

aniixo

I'm a girl and I would've loved it more if Kyrie was in fact a villain. I disliked how she was a character who was useless and just in love with Nero. I think more girls would've bought the game if Kyrie actually did something, other than boost Nero's power to protect her.

I would've hated to see Lady and Trish be killed, so I think having Dante clean up Nero's mess is good.

I still enjoyed the game though!

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Let me see if I remember more things:
-People believed Gloria was meant to be a real person, not Trish's alter ego. Sincerely, I don't buy it, since the first time me and my sister saw Gloria, my sis say "Oh, that's Trish! Those eyes and facial structure are the same". She was right.
-People speculate how deep is the bond between Dante and his sword Rebellion. In the ultimate devil trigger, Rebellion would become his tail.There was a literal translation from Japanese of a text ( from DMC4 material collection artbook) where it was said that in that Ultimate Devil Trigger mode, Dante would be so powerful he would destroy enemies and allies alike. So the rumor about him killing Lady and Trish is apparently true.That translation could be seen in TV Tropes, but it seems someone removed it. Anyway I've a scan of that page if someone want to read it.
- Itsuno said (in DMC2 era) Dante's demonic side would take the best of him. ( I read an old interview with Itsuno, where he said that, so it's not a rumor.)Vergil was right about recognizing the demonic side after all.Dante's denial could cause him to be victim of his own devilish instincts.
-Devil Bringer was to Dante's, but since our man could devil trigger entirely, it would not make sense.So that's when Nero appears...

I can't remember more for now.If I remember , I'll write it down.

I wanna read that. I knew some of these except for nero's gf being the villain.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
''Indeed, this would've been a much better story''.
Just because Dante would go insane? Well, it would've been a different story, not necessarily better - it depends on your taste.
You're right, the story wouldn't automatically benefit from such a dramatic plot point. Such an idea requires proper execution to have an effective impact on the narrative...otherwise, it would just be a waste of space, just there for shock value.

It all depends on who is handling the writing for such a plot idea. Even the most bizarre, estranging, or downright-stupid ideas can be implemented brilliantly at the hands of a competent writer....which is why I'm certain Capcom would find some way to mess it up, given their lackluster pedigree in story-writing.

Going off all the symbolism in DMC4, I'd still say he was meant to be some kind of reincarnation of Sparda. I'd guess that since there's an entire research facility, it's possible Nero was actually created there. If that were the case, the plot would essentially take you through Nero's life from the moment of his birth, which would make sense.
I may or may not be the only one to see this, but I see a bit of symbolism in the palette of Sparda's clothes. Dante and Vergil represent different traits they inherited from Sparda---and because Sparda himself possessed both traits, he's a blend of the two (blue+red=purple). That's why I thought it was neat that he always wore purple. He may have been a rational balance of Dante's outgoing nature and Vergil's pride.

I think Nero's blue and red coat symbolizes that he, like Sparda, is a combination of both Dante and Vergil's personality traits...but leans more towards Vergil's malicious and aggressive nature---as indicated by the dominating blue color, and the vague traces of red.

It's elements like these that make me think of Nero being "Sparda's reincarnation"---that, and the obvious implication of his bond with Kyrie being the "love for a human" that Sparda was known for.

Apparently there's unused code in DMC4 that makes it clear Nero was supposed to have a few more weapons, and even a few styles. Whether he'd also get four styles like Dante, or less... no idea.
That's extremely depressing when you realize how much potential Nero could've had. His play-style is extremely fun, and only really lacks the kind of versatility and customization that was given to Dante.

I guess it must've been consumed by the budget and time constraints, along with everything else. I hope Kobayashi got what he wanted out of those blasted cutscenes...because they were the reason DMC4's development was reduced to shambles. All this wasted story and gameplay potential...for what? For cutscenes that are slightly less bland and stupid than the ones from DMC1-3? Shameful. Just shameful.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
These are some great ideas that have given me some food for the plot bunnies to graze with so keep them coming :angel:.

Dante facing a form of mental instabilty that could cause him to lose control would be a cool way to reintroduce horror elements back into DMC as well as a way to light a fire under his butt and make him an interesting character again (which is something they forgot how to do post DMC1 timeline wise)

I agree with Dragonmaster is that it might be too dark or too ambitious for the franchise and something that could easily backfire worse than NG3 if not handled correctly like WolfOD64 said.

Plus it shouldn't really be a stage in the Nero game unless Dante has his own story mode that deals with it exclusively rather than just seeing it from Nero's perspective because Dante dealing with mental instability should be a game unto itself.

The thing with the devil bringer is that they never really explained nor does it do anything really cool outside of the Snatch function which is something you could have given to dante via a new weapon like the ophian whip or something similar.

or a cool story prompt would be he receives the devil bringer as a devil arm he won off a 1st level boss that gets bonded to him when he wins and the demon and dante are forced to work together to stop the big bad.

Top Bottom