• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

rebellion comparison

berto

I Saw the Devil
Okay, I might have been too harsh by saying you were outright wrong, I apologize for that. .
Thank you. Very decent of you.

I still find your concerns misplaced,
And that's fine. For my part I should've made a bigger emphesisim on saying that it's just a complaint or concer and not something I know for a fact or belived to down right be the truth and that I know and am well aware that the game isn't out so at this point it's all 'we will see's for everyone including myself.

It is not you not agreeing with me I found wrong, nor that you have an opinion, but that your opinion seems to be based on a concern build around your own fears instead of realizing the fact that it ISN'T just something thoughtless.
It's a little more complicated than that but let's not get into it, that'd be just asking for it.

It is obvious that there is a reason for Dante to have that tattoo, but yes, it could have been a dozen other things instead of a tattoo, however, Ninja Theory chose it to be a tattoo. So instead of getting worried about it being a tattoo, try instead to wrap your mind about WHY he has that tattoo and what it does for him. It adds some cool points, because tattoos are cool and all (by some people's standards), but it also has a function and a reason to be there.
Yeah, I have thought about that. Tattoos are really only useless in the more modern culture, more traditional belives from Asia, Africa, Middle East, and the Americas belive that tattoos hace certain mystic properties. There is an anual festival in Thailand (I think) where the buddhist preist will tattoo people who desire certain types of protection, he uses a small straight fork for the job and the tattoos' powers can range from health to protection against knives and bullets and even evil spirits. Similar belives originate from esquimo tribes. Some tribes in central America belive that tattoos would allow them to comunicate with fallen warriors. Others belive that tattoos will give you certain properties like that of an animal, and in cases not just tattoos but scaring. So, outside of fantasy worlds, there are belives that say that tattoo have/can give/grant/summon/leave mystic forces/powers/protection/health/knowledge and so on. Tattoos have a rich history in many places including religion, mysticism, anthropology, egyptology, and history.

This knowledge was borught to you by National Geographic and Dicovery Channels, because they have stuff other than MythBusters. Who would've thonk it.

So, yeah, it's not strange that he'd have a tattoo or that it be one that allows him to conceal his sword or that has mystic properties, and it's not even a 'only in video games' sort of deals ether.

You can compare it to Nero's demon arm. He has a demon arm, but it is NEVER explained why he has it. We got hints to his demonic heritage, but there were never any clarification to why exactly he got the arm and why it has the function it has. If that is why you have a fear, or concern, about this tattoo, then I can understand that, but then you must try to have faith in Ninja Theory's abilities to tell Dante's story in this game which they have said countless of times that it is one of their main priorities with this game. Or else this concern of yours is based on nothing.
Like I said, it's a little more complicated than that and it originates from more than just 'it's a tattoo' but like I said, that's asking for it so let's let sleeping dogs lie.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Tattoo's in todays world are ment for symbolism and fasion, but In my religion, they are seals. They differ only in context.
Heres a basic layout.:
A: (figure power)
1. A sign of disgrace or banishment
2. A symbol of leadership, or mastership
B. ( Power sealing)
1. A person becomes too powerful, and must have their power sealed away.
2. A person is marked for death, and slowly sappes the life out of them.
3. A person has a task, and must complete it or death
4. A person is chosen from birth for a task
5. A person must be imprisoned, and is too dangerous to let roam.

Section B is rather secluded, due to the lack of mastership among ranks. I personally never witnessed a Power sealing tattoo, but it is talked about.

Even in the video game world, tatoos are symbolic.
heres a small example
images

( mark of the I'cie, Final Fantasy XIII)

ZeroLove

Tattoo's in todays world are ment for symbolism and fasion, but In my religion, they are seals. They differ only in context.
Heres a basic layout.:
B. ( Power sealing)

Section B is rather secluded, due to the lack of mastership among ranks. I personally never witnessed a Power sealing tattoo, but it is talked about.

Even in the video game world, tatoos are symbolic.
heres a small example
images

( mark of the I'cie, Final Fantasy XIII)

Can I ask what your religion is?

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Heres a basic layout.:
B. ( Power sealing)

in my culture, tattoos are rarely used as it is seen as a permanent stain on ones self. so when someone gets one its never in certain areas. tho brith marks are seen as a symbol of pride as are scars (tho not self inflicted). so im meh with the tattoo and leaning towards a birthmark seal or something.

im curious what IS you religion? (if you dont mind me asking)

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Can I ask what your religion is?

Of course. I am what is called a Shinobi Hybrid. I am an adapted form of the original Shinobi structure, but specifically designed to protect, rather than to kill. I follow under the combination of The Way of the Sword, and Ninjutsu.
I cant explain everything in one post, but this is roughly it.

ZeroLove

Of course. I am what is called a Shinobi Hybrid. I am an adapted form of the original Shinobi structure, but specifically designed to protect, rather than to kill. I follow under the combination of The Way of the Sword, and Ninjutsu.
I cant explain everything in one post, but this is roughly it.

Isn't that more of a code of living than a religion?

AngelMode

Essentially, all religions hold a code of living in one way or another. They are mostly there to explain how things are and explain how we should live according to those things. Unlike science, which just explains things but holds no value when it comes to how you should live your life.

So I can see that being "part" of a religion... though it sounds to me more like part of a culture than a religion. The religious part should come into play when you say "what is it that you believe to base your way of living." If you say something like "I believe and worship my ancestors so I should live the way they did" then yeah... that's a religion.

Back on topic though. I think the choice for the tattoo wasn't a bad one. It explains how Dante keeps his sword around without the need of some case or something. I'm really hoping though, the story builds up more on this. Like... how he got the mark (was it from birth? Or was it given to him later?) and how exactly is it related to him being a half-demon half-angel. Maybe demons have marks like these as well and that's where their devil arms (or powers) come from? So if you kill a demon then you can absorb that into your own mark and take that demon's devil arm?

It would be cool too if the tattoo were to grow or change forms accordingly... huh..

berto

I Saw the Devil
in my culture, tattoos are rarely used as it is seen as a permanent stain on ones self.
That's intetesting. It's the oposite for some of the peoples of hawaii, they belive a bodyvwith out a tatoo is like an empty canvas and dying without on would be just as trajic.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
That's intetesting. It's the oposite for some of the peoples of hawaii, they belive a bodyvwith out a tatoo is like an empty canvas and dying without on would be just as trajic.Back on topic though. I think the choice for the tattoo wasn't a bad one. It explains how Dante keeps his sword around without the need of some case or something. I'm really hoping though, the story builds up more on this. Like... how he got the mark (was it from birth? Or was it given to him later?) and how exactly is it related to him being a half-demon half-angel. Maybe demons have marks like these as well and that's where their devil arms (or powers) come from? So if you kill a demon then you can absorb that into your own mark and take that demon's devil arm?

It would be cool too if the tattoo were to grow or change forms accordingly... huh..
[/quote]

interesting veiw, nah where i come from a person is judged by there reputation alone, we see the bodies as a gift from god and gence it would be wrong to spoil it by tattooing it.

id like it if rather than being just the seal for rebellion and other possible weapons, its more of the gateway to his power. i.e it keeps the angel and demon sides of him from mixing. perhaps put there by Sparda/ Eva. so when he unleashes his DT the two powers combine. and if we saw the seal when he was in devil trigger it could "expand" as in the "art" of the mark would become more intricate and complex.

ZeroLove

I think it's cool that though it is against your believes to have tattoos, you are open-minded about Dante having his tattoo and wants to learn more about how and why instead of completely closing off about it. It is admirable. ^^
And you also have some cool ideas about other uses for it.

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
The tatoo is probably related to his angel race. And angels are associated with the ability to heal.
Infact in i have played with a holy class (RPG) - healing was there.

Priest >healing
Taoist>healing

And a holy class : Taoist/Priest wants to be closer to God. And angels are gods...

Tiran

The great pretender.
Back on topic.

I am underwhelmed by the weak design of the new Rebellion. It looks... unfinished to me. I expected more from the people who created the Heavenly sword. Now THAT is a beautiful weapon.

Anyway. I took the time to design my own interpretation of what a neo-rebellion type sword might look like a few months back. Ironically, I called it Osirus. (Not Osiris)

383225fde908aff28d85503ada71f71f-d4htyjy.jpg

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
You're the one who really design that?
It has so many designs on the blade itself but it's cool though.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Back on topic.

I am underwhelmed by the weak design of the new Rebellion. It looks... unfinished to me. I expected more from the people who created the Heavenly sword. Now THAT is a beautiful weapon.

Anyway. I took the time to design my own interpretation of what a neo-rebellion type sword might look like a few months back. Ironically, I called it Osirus. (Not Osiris)

ea0735a1ebeb2e4cc6ab32380a397d23-d4htyjy.jpg
dude! this sword is beautiful! great work! :)

Top Bottom