• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Put on your tinfoil hats.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
in kamiya's case, i think he's intentionally unoriginal, he could be making playing with capcom like "see what i'm doing here capcom?"
I already said, nothing to do with originality. "based" on something doesn't mean bad. Whole concept of DmC is ripped from They Live . So they also "unoriginal" intentionally?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I already said, nothing to do with originality. "based" on something doesn't mean bad. Whole concept of DmC is ripped from They Live . So they also "unoriginal" intentionally?

well yes, they are unoriginal intentionally

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
there is a slippery slope between what is considered inspiration and what is considered a rip-off pus the internet makes it harder as people tend to take knee jerk reactions as gospels.

To me its more about how much similarities are present and how noticeable they are. So even thought you could make the argument both DmC and DMC3 use elements from other stories (the whole demon ruling the world bit, the whole fight for who inherits the fathers sword bit from Inuyasha in DMC3) they aren't exactly one to one so the comparison gets weaker after a while.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Why don't you watch "They Live" before you start saying it ripped it off? There's a fine line between taking inspiration and outright plagiarism. And also, John Carpenter wasn't the first person to craft a story around a passive aggressive fist secretly controlling the world

If anything, Itsuno totally ripped off Inuyasha when it comes to DMC 3. There's way too many similarities for me to think otherwise lol.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
If anything, Itsuno totally ripped off Inuyasha when it comes to DMC 3. There's way too many similarities for me to think otherwise lol.
Please...don't soil the marginally-good name of Inuyasha with that comparison.

As cliche as it is, Inuyasha isn't nearly as poorly-written.

EDIT: Furthermore, Itsuno really can't take all the blame on this. The esteemed fanfic-writer himself, Bingo Morihashi, penned the script and scenarios for DMC3...so if anyone ripped off of Inuyasha, it was undoubtedly him.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Whole concept of DmC is ripped from They Live

Don't you dare compare DmC to They Live. Latter is a cult made by a visionary genius, former is... well... DmC.

And you forgot the Futurama Slurm episode.

Although, man... you never have the feeling that so many concepts and ideas have been used, that it's practically impossible not to... ehm... draw inspiration... from them? Intentionally or not.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
http://www.newsarama.com/25731-first-look-assassin-s-creed-1-covers.html
I think the similarities between Kat and the AC character is more present on the guest cover rather than in the comics actual artwork.
Well when I see that girl, she looks less Kat than Kat looks like Morrigans early concept. So apparently its just coincidence.
Don't you dare compare DmC to They Live. Latter is a cult made by a visionary genius, former is... well... DmC.

And you forgot the Futurama Slurm episode.

Although, man... you never have the feeling that so many concepts and ideas have been used, that it's practically impossible not to... ehm... draw inspiration... from them? Intentionally or not.
Eh. I know. There is actually much more things in DmC that taken from other media. Especially since some in game art isn't really drawn but photo manipulations from famous painings.
But DmC does uses TL concepts thats so obvious D: I remember when I saw second trailer I thought "they trying to make they live" But in the end it doesn't matter what inspired them. They managed far less than they promised they would, since NT was taken to deliver the film-quality story which DmC…eh….didnt quit managed.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
These were not the reaction I had anticipated. It was more of a joke based on similarities, than an assumption that someone copied off another's work. This is but one of many AC's new comic covers, which the woman looks nothing like Kat in.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Funny thing is Vergil did use a throwing knife early on DmC so maybe kat could do it too?

AC syndicate shoutout :cool:

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Can we please avoid another mother ****ing DMC vs DmC argument for ONE. DAMN. THREAD?

Nobody was taking anything in that direction, so honestly don't see the problem you have here. The point really was how people see things as 'rip-offs' of other things.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Sorry. That just seems to be how it usually starts here

You have nothing to apologise for, my friend. I can see your intentions were good.

And on a more topic related note. I could probably find similarities in most things. I never find the need or want to lay claims of unoriginality. That's just me, I can see why others do though.

Top Bottom