• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Possible DmC 2? NT's "new announcement"

• Thread starter Deleted member 25469
  • Start date

Tosto

The Dark Brawler
Welcome man. I'd love it is DmC2 but I highly doubt it. It's more likely to be Heavenly Sword 2 or Enslave 2. It might even be anew IP
I'd love if it was a new IP because it might just have sprung from some of that awesome "Darker" DmC art I saw in the new artbook they have coming out. I have no interest in playing HS but I'm still gonna buy Enslaved. So I must say, before DmC I was just a small time fan but now- I am a big fan of NT. Especially now that they've learned so much from Capcom, I can't wait to see what they're working on next.

D H

650,000 units shipped/sold in the first three weeks, 1 million units total shipped by second month. Those are the official numbers and are considered the units "sold".

Yes, Capcom shipped a million to retailers. Retailers sold around 650,000. Shipped and sold may be the same to Capcom, but shipped and sold are certainly different to retailers.

D H

They never said DMC5 wasn't a possibility, and even expressed interest in doing annual development of both DMC and DmC. The only time they ever said they "didn't want to go that direction" was because at the time they wanted to make something different. That doesn't mean there was a desire to never return to form.

--------------------

I'd be more worried of Capcom announcing a DMC5, because at this stage in gaming communities, people would instantly see it as their project because they clamored for it so often. They'd want so much input that they should never rightfully be given, and it would just...I dunno...it'd make them feel like they can get exactly what they want if they insult, berate, and complain long enough.

If they did make a DMC5, I'd want it to be a finale, not a continuation. At least on Dante's part, the guy should rest, his stories have pretty much all been sung, and it should make way for game's dealing with Nero, or inevitably a Sparda or Vergil game. They could also easily make at least another DmC title, since it was wrapped up in such a way that there's plenty of directions they could take it, and the first's story was good enough as a launching point that they could take advantage of telling an actual consistent story.

I'm pretty much happy with whatever they might come up with, but...that's just me.

*Sigh* Gaming Communities can take a hike to some place very far away until they grow up. I don't agree with the reboot or the way Capcom went about it, but the fanbase went bat **** crazy and still haven't snapped out of it. Same with all the Metal Gear fans trashing Revengeance because "It wasn't made by Kojima... IT'S A DISGRACE TO HIM!" never mind the fact that Kojima has done nothing but praise the game and Platinum and never mind the fact that Metal Gear Solid V was announced before Revengeance so the "replacement" excuse doesn't fly. Hell, they even took out Solid and called it Metal Gear Rising to stress the point "This game is different". Final Fantasy fans in general need to take a time out in the back corner.

To be honest, I don't really want a Devil May Cry 5. Anything Devil May Cry 5 would inevitably deal with Nero being Vergil's son and that would turn Nero, who is already a walking plot hole, into a Narrative Black Hole. The amount of crap they'd have to ass pull, retcon, or just explain away would just be disastrous. And because of the focus on Nero and Vergil, Dante would get the shaft AGAIN. And I don't see Kyrie spontaneously finding a personality either. Sure, the gameplay would be top notch and I could easily just focus on having fun with that... but sometimes, series are better left to rest than to shove its bloated corpse into the spot light over and over again. I'm sure I'll end up preferring the explanation for Nero's origin that I came up with over the past 5 years over whatever ass pull Capcom comes up with.

The only way I'd want a Devil May Cry 5 is if they got the people who put together Devil May Cry 3 (aka the only decent overall story in the Devil May Cry franchise) to be consultants to honest to God tried and true video game writers. That way there would be at least some internal consistency and we'd actually get a half way decent story and explanation for everything.

Edit: I can't really say that Devil May Cry 4 is an overtly bad story. Really the only issue I have with it is the Nero/Kyrie love story which is rather bad and the hints to Nero being Vergil's child. Other than that... while not a masterpiece by any means or even good or great, its fairly innocuous and perfectly acceptable for what it was aiming to do: A campy B-movie with a cliche plot. Sure, I could rip the internal logic to shreds if I wanted, but that would be missing the point.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think that might be DMC's problem at this point - it's supposed to have that B-movie camp to it, just like Resident Evil did. It's really difficult to get away from that, especially when it was part of the game's charm in the first place, try to make a more serious story, and suddenly it feels like that charm is being stripped away. I suppose that might be why some people didn't like DmC's story, since it was serious first, then over-the-top, and not the other way around like it was in the classics *shrug*

DMC's story got itself dug deep in a hole with all the hands it passed through, I don't know if it would be possible for them to ever clean things up >.< That might be one reason why Capcom wanted to try a reboot. Not because they expressly thought it was getting stale (I still believe that), but because the story was such a goddamn mess at times that they wanted to try starting over to have a story they could not f#ck up >.<

Dante47

I'd hope for a DmC2, but it's not looking promising.
We only have little more chance of DmC2 being made than Psychonauts 2 ever being made.
If it was, we'd all buy like the first time. Right guys? Right?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm actually rather interested to see what game NT could create next, with all the expertise they learned from the Capcom team that helped them with DmC.

Either that or a DmC2 with an expanded combat system (more inputs, more skills) would be nice, too. Either way, I'm interested to see what they got coming.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I'm actually rather interested to see what game NT could create next, with all the expertise they learned from the Capcom team that helped them with DmC.

Either that or a DmC2 with an expanded combat system (more inputs, more skills) would be nice, too. Either way, I'm interested to see what they got coming.
Me too, I think it'll probably be something new and from what they've learned from working on DmC they'll do a hell of lot better in gameplay than their previous titles. Although I'd love it if it was a DmC2 annoucement just to wipe the floor with people who were being dicky about the reboot without valid reasons for not liking it. But I have high bets on it being the first thing, probably a new title.

D

Deleted member 25469

I really hope for DmC2, though. In many ways, DmC was the best Devil May Cry around. It lacked a turbo mode/general speed, better animations for combat (there were pauses between attacks and most moves had a slow startup), more moves, more challenging enemies, no colored enemies and that's pretty much it.

I went back to play DMC4 today and I couldn't stand the fixed camera angles, being unable to dodge adequately without Trickster (the rolls suck and the jump doesn't work for everything) and the god-damn chimera assault and fish/shark things.

Those enemies bring the entire game WAY down. Terribly designed for Dante.

D

Deleted member 25469

It's a good thing most of DMC4's faults aren't very apparent in the Bloody Palace. Otherwise I'd almost never play it. I play it constantly though :p

So I'd really like to see a game with controls in the vein of DmC2 but with the blood of DMC4's combat depth within those veins.

Story-wise I could go both ways, but I'll say I'm more interested in seeing where DmC has to go. Just keep the demon sex and the super-duper-edginess out of it. It was stomach-churning every time any of that happened.

IncarnatedDemon

Did DmC really sell 650k?
Shipping 1m is not selling 1m so dont say it sold 1m.

Because if it sold 650k or 700k, then **** the announcement isn't DmC 2. I'd even question if DmC 2 ever happens.
The reason thing that caused Capcom to reboot DMC similar to what started world war 2:
1) Keji Inafune "Japanese game market is doomed"
2) Capcom wanted 5M sales

Tomb Raider i heard sold 3.4m? And the pubisher was disappointed with that (idiots).
So if DmC sold 1/7 of Capcom's expectation: then i wonder what they are thinking?

Prolly this(Click)

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Did DmC really sell 650k?
Shipping 1m is not selling 1m so dont say it sold 1m.

Because if it sold 650k or 700k, then **** the announcement isn't DmC 2. I'd even question if DmC 2 ever happens.
The reason thing that caused Capcom to reboot DMC similar to what started world war 2:
1) Keji Inafune "Japanese game market is doomed"
2) Capcom wanted 5M sales

Tomb Raider i heard sold 3.4m? And the pubisher was disappointed with that (idiots).
So if DmC sold 1/7 of Capcom's expectation: then i wonder what they are thinking?

Prolly this(Click)
Capcom never wanted 5M [they wanted 2M] And it's sold more than 650k.

IncarnatedDemon

Capcom never wanted 5M [they wanted 2M] And it's sold more than 650k.
Actually they expressed that:
Can't find better source as original one seemed to been deleted. Seems the source is "PlayTm" something (magazine?).

And here is a quote from a person who also noticed this

PLUS i could swear there is a interview or statement somewhere on the web where someone on Capcom expresses that they looked at other games in h&s genre and saw they did great in sales (hint GoW). I tried to find that source again but DmC + key word "sale" + "5M" keeps spamming tons of stuff relating to Capcom lowering their sales expectations.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Actually they expressed that:
Can't find better source as original one seemed to been deleted. Seems the source is "PlayTm" something (magazine?).

And here is a quote from a person who also noticed this

PLUS i could swear there is a interview or statement somewhere on the web where someone on Capcom expresses that they looked at other games in h&s genre and saw they did great in sales (hint GoW). I tried to find that source again but DmC + key word "sale" + "5M" keeps spamming tons of stuff relating to Capcom lowering their sales expectations.
o_O And that's why people keep picking at the 'supposed to sell 5M' thing? Was that mentioned before or after reaction to the debut trailer?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
:blink: And that's why people keep picking at the 'supposed to sell 5M' thing? Was that mentioned before or after reaction to the debut trailer?
Problem is there have been so many sales figures thrown about the internet that it's hard to tell which one. I would have thought wanting 5M sale was too high regardless, while 2M was more reasonable. Only a few games get 5M anyway.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Problem is there have been so many sales figures thrown about the internet that it's hard to tell which one. I would have thought wanting 5M sale was too high regardless, while 2M was more reasonable. Only a few games get 5M anyway.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not even sure any of the original Devil May Cry games have sold that high or over.

Top Bottom