• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Parralel universe or non canonical

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah, only now do I realize that the DMC novel was set before the story of DMC3, and yet had Vergil already enslaved by Mundus. I guess Vergil was taken when Eva died, and he was corrupted from the start, when he was 8.
That's why in DMC1, Dante had never seen Vergil before.

So when other people started taking over DMC after DMC1, the story stopped making sense. That's a damn shame.

DMC3's plot might as well have not existed then, since everything that involved Vergil wasn't possible. That's a huge slap in the face. Hell, maybe they'll say DMC3 was set in an alternate universe as well -__-

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well since they are busy making DmC now, at least they won't distort the original DMC-world further, for now.

As for the DMC3 thing, not many people realize it, and even Capcom seems to think that it fits the story perfectly.

Since it's an awesome game I have no problem with that, but they could at least fix some little stuff, like Vergil's amulet not being gold or something - it was identical to Dante's in DMC1. Oh well..

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It would've been better if DmC were made by Platinum Games, though... you know, the company that has the director of DMC1 in it.

No such luck.

Chrysander

In this case, what's canon is what ever stories you like as there is no higher power to tell you otherwise. Capcom would count but since they tend to change their minds, or dont really care, i would suggest ignoring them.

I tend to see all of it as canon since each one of the stories had a good idea that could have been great had it been done better. It might even connect to each other had people did research which is made easy as you have the internet with places like these.

I disagree, fundamentally canon must have an authority, otherwise it just comes down to opinion, and therefore there is no such thing as canon. If person A says DMC2 is canon because they like it, and person B says no because they don't like it, you're saying they're both right, in which case it's both not canon, and canon at the same time.

In my mind, the creator of the story is the authority, Kamiya, and he has not said the following games are canon.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be honest, I wouldn't take kamiya's opinion into account as he no longer works on the series or in the company.

It's different, if this was Buffy where joss whedon is still involved in telling the story even if doesn't do every issue. So if he doesn't say a story I dislike is non canon, I have to accept it.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the person who decides what is canon is whoever is currently in charge of the story. if the original creator is no longer involved in a series his opinion is no more important than anyone else.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Kamiya doesn't own DMC, capcom does. Its the very reason why Kamiya had part in DMC because he worked for Capcom. Since Kamiya doesn't work for Capcom anymore he owns nothing but his name on the first game. And Since then DMC has always been Capcom's.
DmC is still owned by Capcom. NT must get everything approved by Capcom before putting it in the game.
DMC's canon is whatever whoever makes of it. Since there is little connection from game to game, it's anyones guess. But if Capcom comes out and tells everyone whats canon and whats not then, well, that will be the canon. Capcom has disapproved dmc2 so does that mean its not canon anymore? WHO KNOWS!!??
The Canon can't even be explained to even be considered a Canon. (thanks RedGrave, you made it clear that nothing is clear in dmc)

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Yes, we know that.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: for the time being, the game is a reboot of the franchise. Depending on the sales of the new DmC, Capcom will either continue the original DMC series or end it. If DmC is popular enough, they'll stop production of the old DMC series.
I personally already knew that I was just commenting on the thread's overall topic.That's all. :)

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
I wouldn't say Kamiya actually created the series. He started it. Yes, he created Dante and Virgil and Trish and Sparda and the battle system and all of that. But did he create the universe of DMC as we know it? I don't think so. So, in my opinion, the only true people to decide if whatever's in the series is canon is the person or people who own it.
Now, Capcom owns the series. They have the true say so in what is canon or not. I say 'they' as in certain people in the company who know the story. In reality, Kamiya is nothing but another director who struck an oil well such as Devil May Cry. A casualty, really. He has no say so in the series because he doesn't even partially own it. The people up in Capcom own it and have all of the say so, for better or for worse.
Just because we don't like it (personally, I don't mind) does not mean we could deny the canon. Why? Because we are all corrupt and biased in our opinion in what is and is not in the canon. Our ideas are warped, whether we know it or not, by what we think deep down. We actually need impartial, cold, uncaring people such as the men at Capcom to say what is canon or not because if it was not for them, no game would be canon.
So I believe that it is not Kamiya who has the say so. He's just a man who only owns the name in the credits at the end of DMC 1 under the title of director. He only instigated this great, but shattered, universe of Devil May Cry. But he did not create the universe. Whoever comes after him is only adding to the universe, and if what he or she creates makes completely no sense, it is of course not canon. And, by logic, the people who have the true say so cannot say it is canon.

Meg

You know what would be badass? If this game was a parallel universe to DMC that goes on while the regular DMC is happening. So like this game would be happening along side DMC3. Think about it, parallel universes are the opposite of the regular universe. This game has bright colors and settings while DMC is very dark and gritty. Dante in this game has black hair and DMC Dante has white. In DmC demons hunt Dante and in DMC Dante hunts demons. They are in several ways exact opposites of one another, so a parallel universe would make sense.

OOO! And the two universes could collide and both Dantes could meet or something...

*gets idea for fanfic*

O_O

*has to finish DMC: Reloaded!!!*

*runs*

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Parallel doesn't mean opposite, it means side by side =P

And everything you said/wrote is what lures me into DmC. There is a feeling inside that makes me hope Dante will stop being the hunted and become the Demon hunter.
That might be why the story is so "taboo"

Top Bottom