• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Parralel universe or non canonical

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
What does their games being "High Quality" have to do with them being greedy?

And Capcom is portayed that way based on their actions so its not like people are calling them money hungry for no reason.

Take Resident Evil for example.

The majority of the fan outcry was for it to return to its classic puzzles and horror style. But instead we got RE5 which was mostly just a big action movie put into a game. They did that because they thought that it would appeal to a wider audience. If they trully cared about the fans than they would have wen't back to the series roots. And now we are going to get yet another action oriented RE game title Operation Racoon City.

And lets not forget the 2 mega man games they cancelled this year.

If they trully cared more about the fans other than their wallets than they would have kept making those 2 games that the mega man fans so desperately wanted to see.

Instead they decided to cancel BOTH of them and blame it on the fans.

And now its happening with DMC.

If they trully wanted to please the fans than they would have answered all the unanswered questions in the DMC storyline with DMC5. Instead they chose to go with the "western reboot" approach inorder to bring in more fans and obviously money.

Capcom is a BUSINESS dude.

They will forever be about the money.

SO please do not make it seem as if we are calling Capcom something they are not.
well said !!

Its not like capcom wanted to change, they have to with the times. New employees and whatever comes in. especially to compete in this day in age, your going to have to bring new material. Code Veronica was such a let down to me. And when RE4 came out, i was all for it. as for RE5.... it was as lame as the movies but it offered a new gameplay style which could be fun in multiplayer but it never got the Horror feel as before.
dunno about mega man (never liked it, they seem the same to me)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Interesting.

Last I checked series like Batman and Spiderman have received numerous reboots.

But obviously the original comics are still going on.

So according to your logic, the old batman and spider man comics should have ceased production and than they should have only continued with the new reboot storylines.

But that is obviously not the case now is it?

Fact is if Capcom wanted they could easily do a reboot and continue DMC5.

After all this reboot is nothing but a attempt from Capcom to gain more fans and more importantly MONEY.

If it bombs or if fan outcry is high enough for DMC5 than Its entirely possible that they would go and make DMC5.

And even if neither of those 2 things happen I fail to see the reason why they could not do both side by side.

One to please the old fans while the other brings in the new fans.

Batman and Spiderman haven't gotten numerous reboots. If that were the case, the old Batman and Spiderman wouldn't exist anymore.

My point is: you're using the word 'reboot' in the wrong way. If DmC is a reboot of the series, then that means the original DMC series can't continue; it's been restarted.
If you reboot (restart) your computer (new DmC), that means you have to go to your newly loaded desktop! You can't stay on the old desktop (old DMC) as though you never restarted.

I think the word you're looking for is 'spin-off', so I correct your sentence: 'series like Batman and Spider-Man have received numerous spin-offs.'

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Batman and Spiderman haven't gotten numerous reboots. If that were the case, the old Batman and Spiderman wouldn't exist anymore.

My point is: you're using the word 'reboot' in the wrong way. If DmC is a reboot of the series, then that means the original DMC series can't continue.
If you reboot (restart) your computer (new DmC), that means you have to go back to the desktop all over again! You can't stay on the desktop (old DMC) as though you never restarted.

I think the word you're looking for is 'spinoff'.
I think Capcom could do whatever they want with DMC. And in interviews they've said it was a reboot of the series but if sales are bad or if they just want to, DMC 5 could still come out regardless if they call it a reboot, re imagining, or whatever.
10 years from now, the right term will be used for whatever happens after, as for now, its a spin off of the original series which could reboot the series or not

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I think Capcom could do whatever they want with DMC. And in interviews they've said it was a reboot of the series but if sales are bad or if they just want to, DMC 5 could still come out regardless if they call it a reboot, re imagining, or whatever.
10 years from now, the right term will be used for whatever happens after, as for now, its a spin off of the original series which could reboot the series or not

Yes, I think that if they call this game a spin-off, they will be able to continue with the original DMC games. I wouldn't write off the old DMC franchise yet, there might still be hope.
But their use of the term 'reboot' implies that they won't continue the old DMC.

I guess it depends on the sales of the new DmC.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
The term 'reboot' implies nothing in this case. If they really meant to 'reboot' the series, they wouldn't have said something like, "We are not ruling out the possibilities of DMC5. We'll see where the reboot goes first" -not the exact words. So, YES! There still can be a DMC5 in store for us.
*happy face*

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
The term 'reboot' implies nothing in this case. If they really meant to 'reboot' the series, they wouldn't have said something like, "We are not ruling out the possibilities of DMC5. We'll see where the reboot goes first" -not the exact words. So, YES! There still can be a DMC5 in store for us.
*happy face*

When did Capcom say that DMC5 could still be made (marked red)?

If they said that, then bring on DmC, and PLEASE let it suck balls so we can get DMC5 :p

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
When did Capcom say that DMC5 could still be made (marked red)?

If they said that, then bring on DmC, and PLEASE let it suck balls so we can get DMC5 :p

They've said it. But, if I may remind you again, they are not the exact words. Unfortunately, I can't find where I read it. I did bookmark that page but formatted my mobile 10 days ago. And it's gone now. Sorry... But I'm googling it now.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
im really starting to like the new DmC but that dosent mean i dont want to see the real dmc 5.this game can be good to but they better continue the original series and not let it go into waste.

Yes, exactly :)
It would be a damn shame if they just discarded the old DMC series.

We'll see soon enough.

DeamonslayeR

Yes, exactly :)
It would be a damn shame if they just discarded the old DMC series.

We'll see soon enough.
yeah i mean whats the point of creating something and not finishing it(even if u finish it poorly) and throwing it in the trash.i hope they continue the original story and if this game is better than (i dare say) the original series than they should learn what was good in the reboot and imply those things in DMC 5

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Their was a interview that already explained this. This game takes place in a whole new cannon "drawing elements from the original cannon."

Yes, we know that.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: for the time being, the game is a reboot of the franchise. Depending on the sales of the new DmC, Capcom will either continue the original DMC series or end it. If DmC is popular enough, they'll stop production of the old DMC series.

Chrysander

Who says what is "canon"? A producer, director, writer, because they are paid to make a game or a book? The writers for DMC1 were Kamiya and Noboru Sugimura. Neither of those wrote the story for 2, 3, 4 or for this new game. So in my opinion, nothing has been "canon" since then. If somebody wrote a new Lord of the Rings book now, you couldn't call it canon because Tokien isn't around to give it the okay, and neither is Kamiya, that's how I see it.

DeamonslayeR

Who says what is "canon"? A producer, director, writer, because they are paid to make a game or a book? The writers for DMC1 were Kamiya and Noboru Sugimura. Neither of those wrote the story for 2, 3, 4 or for this new game. So in my opinion, nothing has been "canon" since then. If somebody wrote a new Lord of the Rings book now, you couldn't call it canon because Tokien isn't around to give it the okay, and neither is Kamiya, that's how I see it.
yeah but u see that the devilmaycry is the property of capcom so they can do anything they want with and that in their view is canon.but i wish it were in the hands of kamiya

Chrysander

yeah but u see that the devilmaycry is the property of capcom so they can do anything they want with and that in their view is canon.but i wish it were in the hands of kamiya
It's in their hands, but in terms of the actual story that was written, they might "own" it, but that's not the same as it being "canon", at least in my mind. Again, if somebody else, or a company, bought the Lord of the Rings franchise and continued it, nobody would regard it as "canon" because it's not the original writer, same with this.

DeamonslayeR

It's in their hands, but in terms of the actual story that was written, they might "own" it, but that's not the same as it being "canon", at least in my mind. Again, if somebody else, or a company, bought the Lord of the Rings franchise and continued it, nobody would regard it as "canon" because it's not the original writer, same with this.
i wish it could be like that but it isnt :(

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Well, the stories of DMC3 and 4 fit quite well with DMC1. Sure, they might not have had the same writers, but the new writers continued the old writers' canon.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
There are inconsistencies between all the games actually. We all praise Devil May Cry 3 for its great story (myself amongst them) but it isn't as connected as it could have been with the original Devil May Cry.

The first Devil May Cry, starts with Trish entering Dante's shop. One of the lines says: "You are the man who lost a mother and a brother to evil, 20 years ago? The son of the legendary dark knight? Mr Dante?"

What does this suggest? That in the original plot, in the same attack that killed Eva, Vergil was probably abducted and brainwashed/turned into Nelo Angelo. In the first game, somehow I got the idea that the scenario-writers wanted Dante to only know of Vergil as a kid (if you remember, the moment he realizes he just defeated his brother, the only memories that come to his mind are those from when they were children). Even when Vergil took of the Nelo Angelo helmet, Dante didn't get a clue. If he had seen Vergil as a grown up, he should have been able to recognize it. His face without the helmet isn't as distorted as the corrupted-Vergil costume, so for me that just shows that Dante never saw Vergil's adult face up until then.

Even when he meets Vergil in the Devil May Cry novel, which was considered canon, before Devil May Cry 3 appeared, Vergil's face is wrapped in bandages and he already works for Mundus, so it fitted better than Devil May Cry 3 does. We also learnt about Ebony & Ivory, Tony Redgrave and .45 Art Warks. Though considering the guns, it still has somewhat of a plothole as even Sparda's guns Luce & Ombra share the same carvings.

Then Devil May Cry 3 appears and again at the beginning, the moment Dante learns that Vergil is seeking him he even mentions that they had not seen each other for only a year. And after that goes and creates a great story about how Dante got the Force Edge and how he came up with the Devil May Cry name for his shop.

The Devil May Cry 3 Manga tried to explain about how Vergil met Arkham, how Arkham became a demon, when was that *one year ago* meeting between Dante and Vergil and how Lady started her Devil Hunting bussiness. As the creator never managed to finish the story though, it is kinda silly. Nice, but lacking.

Devil May Cry 2, kinda passes, because it could be just a story very far away from the other games. Though back when it first appeared, we were all wondering why the shop's name had changed from Devils Never Cry, to Devil May Cry again. No clue was given.

Devil May Cry 2 novel, was somewhat of a side-quest. An extra mission of Dante. I don't even see why Capcom made it non-canon. It doesn't negate any of the knowledge we already have. But oh well.

Devil May Cry 4 doesn't really do anything to affect the Devil May Cry story. It just exists, throws Nero to us, making things even more complicated, but other than that it's ok. Trish is in the shop with Dante, they have the sword Sparda in the wall, so yeah, it kinda shows that it's after the first Devil May Cry, and since Lady appears too, it connects with Devil May Cry 3 as well. It's kinda like the Devil May Cry 2 novel. A side-story, one of Dante's missions. And then came they Devil May Cry 4 novel, hinting (almost saying it directly) that Nero could be Vergil's son.

Same with the Devil May Cry Anime. Regular Dante missions. I don't know whether Patty or Morisson are considered canon, but no matter. They don't affect the story in great part so they might as well be.

My point is this: In the Devil May Cry Universe (not DmC of course) because each game, book, manga, story, is written by a different person, they WILL be inconsistencies. It's impossible not to be. Each guy interprets the story differently, and obviously most of them are not even dedicated enough to research the story as a whole before adding their new stuff, complicating things even more.

So something like "what is canon" and "what it is not" is kinda hard to judge. We should either have our personal thoughts of what canon is, or just follow Capcom's lead, who seems to change its mind all the time. And now it's in a state where it might abandon the whole "old" Devil May Cry universe, for their new DmC project. I'm not saying they will. I'm saying they might.

My opinion? Everything is canon. Dante did all these things, was Tony Redgrave, met Vergil 3 times, visited other worlds etc etc. Because that's the way I like it, no matter what Capcom says.

What's yours?;)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
In this case, what's canon is what ever stories you like as there is no higher power to tell you otherwise. Capcom would count but since they tend to change their minds, or dont really care, i would suggest ignoring them.

I tend to see all of it as canon since each one of the stories had a good idea that could have been great had it been done better. It might even connect to each other had people did research which is made easy as you have the internet with places like these.

Top Bottom