• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

No Lock-On Is Actually Better Than Outdated Lock-On

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Actually, since the game doesn't tell you, it isn't surprising that people doesn't know that there is in fact a dodge mechanic in MGR.

What you have to do is to press both Square and X button while holding the way you want to dodge and Raiden will then dodge and do a quick slash.
So is it more of an actual move than just a dodge? (Because of the quick slash)
Also seems like a bit of a complex way just to dodge, I don't see very many people being able to pull it off correctly very much.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
hmmmm that's interesting, cant wait to play the demo to see that in action because three inputs for a dodge seems kind of iffy to me personally. Then again I don't know how important it is in that game.
From what I understand, the developers said that the focus for Raidens gameplay wasn't on dodging but more on moving around and block/parry. So I guess it makes sense to have the dodge work like that instead.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
So is it more of an actual move than just a dodge? (Because of the quick slash)
Also seems like a bit of a complex way just to dodge, I don't see very many people being able to pull it off correctly very much.
Like I said in my previous post, the gameplay focus seems to be more on attacking and block/parry.

Railazel

I'm saying that there isn't a 50/50 amount of air and ground moves.

Ah, I see, and I agree. There never really is and probably never will be. The reason being is that it would be awfully dumb on the developer's part to give the enemies as much gravity- defying abilities as you have (this is for any HnS game btw) as it would make fighting them quite difficult and annoying (especially since some of them are bad enough on the ground as it is). So most of your fighting would be done on the ground, thus you would have a greater amount of ground moves/combos than air. Thankfully, we have glitches on our side. They enable us to break the rules of the game and treat it like the masochistic b*tch it is. Mechanics like Jump Cancelling and Air Resetting give us enough control of aerial combat that really we would only need a few air moves to completely obliterate the poor soul of the fool who dared to get juggled into the air in the first place. Thus, there really isn't a need for a higher focus on aerial combat as placing a larger emphasis on it would only (slightly) take away the pleasure of using its various glitches to bend the game over my lap, spanking it on its flat bottom, and forcing it to call me its "daddy."

You get what I'm saying?

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Like I said in my previous post, the gameplay focus seems to be more on attacking and block/parry.
Thanks, it would make sense that way. Also it's a perfect example of lock-on being suited to it's style/gameplay.

Man I really need to start looking up more MGR stuff since release is getting pretty close.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
From what I understand, the developers said that the focus for Raidens gameplay wasn't on dodging but more on moving around and block/parry. So I guess it makes sense to have the dodge work like that instead.
okay that makes sense then. I cant wait to try it out, it's been too long since I've had some Bayonetta style nonsense and ridiculousness

Gbraga

We're at that time in the cycle where supporters will bash on great games and mechanics just to say how incredibly awesome the new one is, huh?

They did some things right that deserve to be credited, some of them should be carried to a DMC5 if they ever make one. The lack of a lock-on is not one of them.

Goldsickle

We're at that time in the cycle where supporters will bash on great games and mechanics just to say how incredibly awesome the new one is, huh?

They did some things right that deserve to be credited, some of them should be carried to a DMC5 if they ever make one. The lack of a lock-on is not one of them.
I'm all for lock-on in action games. Just not "survival horror" lock-on.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Ah, I see, and I agree. There never really is and probably never will be. The reason being is that it would be awfully dumb on the developer's part to give the enemies as much gravity- defying abilities as you have (this is for any HnS game btw) as it would make fighting them quite difficult and annoying (especially since some of them are bad enough on the ground as it is). So most of your fighting would be done on the ground, thus you would have a greater amount of ground moves/combos than air. Thankfully, we have glitches on our side. They enable us to break the rules of the game and treat it like the masochistic b*tch it is. Mechanics like Jump Cancelling and Air Resetting give us enough control of aerial combat that really we would only need a few air moves to completely obliterate the poor soul of the fool who dared to get juggled into the air in the first place. Thus, there really isn't a need for a higher focus on aerial combat as placing a larger emphasis on it would only (slightly) take away the pleasure of using its various glitches to bend the game over my lap, spanking it on its flat bottom, and forcing it to call me its "daddy."

You get what I'm saying?
I understand, but the BDSM is really taking it far. I just wish in a future game, and this probably will frustrate people to no end, enemies would stop being fodder or getting too staggered. Even if you get pummeled during a fight, there's always an opening for counter attacks. On ground and during the air, maybe enemies could counter you if you repeat a move too many times.

I mean, it sort of gets predictable if someone keeps mashing Combo A on you and you'd probably be able to respond quickly. But if someone were to mix up from Combo A to D to B to Move F and continue on, that would be unpredictable and hard to counter. Enemies may be grunts and brutes, but you'd think they'd be smarter. I just think that enemies getting staggered so easily and so continuously is sort of, I don't know, too easy especially with the technology we have today. Hopefully we can go from player vs hordes of fodder enemy with some intelligent enemies to player vs horde of intelligent enemy and some fodder.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Thanks, it would make sense that way. Also it's a perfect example of lock-on being suited to it's style/gameplay.

Man I really need to start looking up more MGR stuff since release is getting pretty close.
okay that makes sense then. I cant wait to try it out, it's been too long since I've had some Bayonetta style nonsense and ridiculousness
May I interest you gentlemen in this trailer then~

Goldsickle

No one, it's an extra point I've decided to make in the argument.
Then that's just a random point tossed in with no relevance.

Also MGR has no dodge button correct?
The lack of a dodge function does not change the fact that lock-on in that game is more functional than the past DMC games.

That's just opinion about looks.
In a fast-paced game where even a split second of lag could be fatal, looks does not override functionality.

That's it's genre not it's style, there is a difference.
Genre? Style?
Could you actually explain in detail without opening yourself to self-contradictions?

As mentioned, the slowed down movement during lock-on only occurred due to DMC's origin as a Resident Evil 4 beta, when "lock on" = "draw weapon".
Now it's just "lock-on". There's no need for Dante to slow down to take aim whenever he's focused on an enemy.

Slacri

I agree that the lock-on in the old games wasn't perfect, but to say that this game's lack of lock-on is better? That's where I disagree. I think the slow movement was to prevent Dante from running around when you didn't do the combo right or pressed up before pressing B because the system relied a lot on directional input.

While having lock-on slow you down is annoying, it doesn't slow you down at all with your actual attacks and move sets. There's no real need to walk to an enemy unless he's far away, in which case you just use stinger or trickster to get to him. The lock-on did not interfere with actual combat. I believe it made you slow down because it involved so much directional

DmC's lack of lock on constantly makes it so Dante attacks the wrong enemy, disrupting my flow of combat and makes it so that I have to re position myself in the middle of a battle, which kills all fluidity of combat. In DMC3 or 4 I never found walking to due this because I never walked or ran towards my enemies. I used stinger or trickster to get to them.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
DmC's lack of lock on constantly makes it so Dante attacks the wrong enemy, disrupting my flow of combat and makes it so that I have to re position myself in the middle of a battle, which kills all fluidity of combat. In DMC3 or 4 I never found walking to due this because I never walked or ran towards my enemies. I used stinger or trickster to get to them.
Although that does happen and does need to be improved in the next iteration I think the fact that your constantly moving is a good thing and was part of the plan when they developed the combat for the game. I personally enjoy it but can see why others would not. I like the different feeling it adds to combat(not saying the lock one and single enemy focus from the old games was a bad thing)

Azure King

The bosses trailer is pretty badass to,

This looks like more DMC than the actual DmC we played

laughing.gif

Top Bottom