• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero. Is he really Vergil's son?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Yeah, it's just a game. The mystery behind Nero will be clouded with rumours until Capcom does something to ease this state of mind in mass confusion. Vergil has his honour so I do agree him having sex is clearly unthinkable since it happened before DMC3 which blew my opnion out of the water lol.

I enjoyed the DMC game series because they are fun to play...with the exception of DMC2, nice designs 'n' stuff but it lacked that OOMPH. Anyways, by throwing Nero to the dogs I say was a bit harsh on Capcom's part...Nero doesn't really have the time to redeem his pride as part of the DMC crew. No background other than he was an orphan as a child and gained a demonic arm protecting Kyrie.

But then again, they are probably doing this to build up his persona (and tension) to show who Nero really is in the end...all I have to say is that who ever is making the next DMC better not butcher the storyline further. If anything, make a dual disc similar to DMC2, Nero's story and Dante's story. That way we can all be partly satisfied with the facts placed within the game.

Zany Blac

Well I Hate To Believe It. But the only plausible explanation is that Vergil Is Nero Or Nero is the reborn human remnant/shell of the being that was vergil.

The hints in the game are there, lets look at the ones i have noticed.

1.Nero Arm. The Devil Bringer.
rearrange it gives you
-Vergil Rebind Or Vergil Bride which could possibly allude to:
Vergil+Bride=Nero
Another reason for his arm is the way it reacted to Dante and Yamato, showing a realtion to both things but not reacting to the sword sparda, which means that whatever the relation, Nero has a bond of sorts to the twins.

2.The second time Dante and Nero fight, the moves were the exact same moves from DMC 3 jus before Vergil stabbed Dante only this time quite possibly to show dantes superior power he merely jumped aside and gave Neros head a shove. Perhaps this was another sign to show that Vergil and Nero are one and the same.

3.Yamato: Vergil poured his soul into that sword, figurately of course. im thinking after he went a lil mad after Evas death and his descent into darkness the only thing he ever loved was that sword. So his human side and Yamatos latent power(The hovering demon behind nero) connecting wont come as a surprise if he really is vergil in essence. Repairing it would even be a laughable feat. What gets me though is how the hell did they manage to break it?(Anyone who can clarify this based on well thought out plausible reasons would be helping me with my fic alot). This also proves Nero is in no way sparda reborn, Seeing as the sword sparda didnt even twitch in reaction to him.

4.Kyrie. Before you guys chew my ear off, remember DMC 3 again, and i quote: "Might Controls Everything and without strength you cannot protect anything... Let alone yourself" then fast forward DMC 4 "And a voice echoed, power! give me more power!, And if i have to become a demon so be it, i will endure the exile, anything! to protect her!.
See the relation? no? well Vergil and Nero have one thing in common lets say something that makes them one and the same, the desire for power and the reason they seek it, to protect. Vergil sought power to protect those dear while Nero did the same thing. Vergil loved his mother and he did everything to protect her, in a weird way, Kyrie is the only mother figure Nero has in his life... Eww!

There are other reasons but those delve into the realms of opinion and my own understanding of the Devil May Cry Universe. So please feel free to poke holes in my theories.

Except Capcom has pulled wool over our eyes(I Seriously doubt it) the plausible explanation to Nero is that he is Vergils son. Love It or Hate It, thats how Capcom Roll.(Unfortunately)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Chloe_Ryder;268241 said:
I'm pretty sure Yamato got broken in DMC3. You know when Lady fired at Dante and Vergil when they were fighting, before Jester showed up? Dante took a swing at the bullet with his sword, and then Vergil did the same, only Yamato broke on impact.

Couldn't have, as in the final boss fight, it's perfectly intact.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I did watch the link, and I've seen that cutscene many times IRL. I don't see how Yamato broke at all. All I see is Vergil slashing the rocket and then a rocket in four pieces on the ground.

Sone

DUST TO DUST
Nobody talks about if Nero is 3rd son of Sparda. I know you will say come on man he is too young, but hey it's Capcom -_- When i finished DMC 4 i think the same thing. Hey if Nero is Vergil's son and maybe he is reincarnation of Sparda ( He have both sides like Dante he have LoL attitude and on Vergil's side he is cold blooded Hmmmm...I mean who knows for sure except the makers of DMC series of cours ^^ !? BTW my point is we know that the Nero have a blood of Sparda and that means he bound Yamato with his DB and unleashed DT ( not his own DT ) It's Vergil's spirit...If that means he is real son of Vergil i will agree with that.

big boss Vergil

I need more POWER!
THE TRUTH:
dmcfamilytree.png

Nero is VERGIL's son it has been confirmed be some guy from Capcom in a interview. And Nero's mother is a prostitute that Vergil fell in love with.
( HUMAN / HUMAN / DEVIL hybrid ) Nero is the son of the son of Sparda lol

More is mentioned in the DMC novel where Vergil does all kinds of things that you wouldn't believe. Like getting drunk to keep his cover as Gilver in the mercenary group for a helf demon it isn't a problem and he falls in love with a woman that is later revield as a prostitute.

Why is it hard to believe that Nero is Vergil's son vergil is a man like sparda he can be interested in a woman maybe more than Dante because he's like a "child". Nero himself says when he activates his devil trigger "SOMETHING IN ME WHISPERED POWER, I NEED MORE POWER" the same thing said Vergil in the end of DMC 3.
And because he's vergil's son his devil trigger behind him looks a lot like vergils look at his yamato holding chamber on his arm!

Hey that was just what I know, to be honest I couldn't care less I realy don't like what they did in DMC 4. Dante doesn't look like dante should and the main character is nero who I don't like at all, he can't even get any weapons.

If you or I like it or not Nero is Vergil's son the DT proves it, yamato, what he said about power, what dante said that yamato should only remain in the family and later when he found out gave nero yamato, what santucs said with neros blood, how Nero wants power to protect the one he loves the same reason that Vergil wanted to gain power because he couldn't save his mother, what he says to dante "without power you can't protect anyone let alone yourself" and The guy from Capcom confirmed it. When their were making DMC 4 Nero was made around the fact that he is Vergils son and it isn't mentioned in the game for the players that played all DMC games to find on their own. A little mystery only hints were given in the game.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
THE DEBUNKING *thunder crash*

THE TRUTH:
Why is it hard to believe that Nero is Vergil's son vergil is a man like sparda he can be interested in a woman maybe more than Dante because he's like a "child". Nero himself says when he activates his devil trigger "SOMETHING IN ME WHISPERED POWER, I NEED MORE POWER" the same thing said Vergil in the end of DMC 3.
Ok first, common mistake Nero actually said "Give me more power" but whatevz, it's the same gist (even though every single DMC villain to date has been after the same thing and it is a goal anything but exclusive to Vergil)

Nero is VERGIL's son it has been confirmed be some guy from Capcom in a interview. And Nero's mother is a prostitute that Vergil fell in love with.
I don't suppose you have anything a bit stronger than "some guy from Capcom said it" I have heard that a few times but never from say Kobayashi or any of the big names behind it's development, do you have a source of who it was and when they said it?

ok next the comparison
comp-1.png

Am I really the only one who doesn't see it? Yes it is blue, you can't say it's Vergil just because it's blue. Vergil has no horns and never did until Nelo Angelo, which was a product of Mundus not Vergil and even then they would be totally out anyway. Look at the body, the shape, the build, the design they look nothing alike your seeing what you want to see. The sheath attached to the arm is a part of Yamato's powers as opposed to a part of Vergil's devil form, there is proof of this in DMC3:SE when you switch from Beowolf to Yamato whilst in DT. The scabbard vanishes.

what dante said that yamato should only remain in the family and later when he found out gave nero yamato,
Ok moving on the "stay in the family" speech. Dante says this before the fight as a reason why Nero couldn't keep Yamato. I won't go too deep into this but Dante let Nero keep Yamato because
  1. He needed it more and Dante knew he would look after it.
  2. Nero has earned Dante's trust
  3. They wanted the player to see that Dante is a good and righteous man hense the "thats the only kinda gift worth giving" He still has his faith and trust in humankind and they wanted us to see it through this sacrifice.
At no point did they imply Dante realised anything or sneakily knew anything, the relationship between the two was quite clearly one of a gradualy earned mutual respect for eachother. To say "oh well they never showed or implied it in any way but we knew didn't we ;)" is jumping to conclusions when there is very little to back it.

And finally the Novel. Last I heard Bingo wasn't even working for Capcom when he made it so it shouldn't be used to prove anything as it may as well just be another fanfic. If he was told somthing really juicy about Nero being Vergils son and was on a mission to leak it he wouldn't have been so subtle about it.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Okay, I'll make a list of all the things I can think of (however silly and tenuous) for and against and we can weigh them up. 'Evidence' in inverted commas because we know nobody has confirmed Nero's lineage properly, but these are hints and suggestions that point to either case.

'EVIDENCE' FOR NERO BEING VERGIL'S SON:

1. CAPCOM employee supposedly admitted he was Vergil's son. Maybe he was kidding... maybe he was in on the designs that were supposed to reflect Vergil... I dunno. But technically he is in a better position to know what they were really thinking than we are...

2. DMC4 novel refers to someone who fits the description of Vergil being in Fortuna looking for history on Sparda, this leaves the gap open for his father possibly being Vergil, since his mother was assumed a prostitute and Nero is orphaned.

3. Nero has a vision in the novel of someone who fits the (vague) description of Vergil speaking to him about wanting more power. Not sure why he would have such a vision otherwise. And in the game, why would the exact same thing Vergil said be said to Nero in his head?

4. Dante states as much in the game that Nero is part-demon, and appears to have Sparda blood. Sparda was supposed to be dead before DMC3, so he cannot be a child of Sparda himself - he must either be a) Dante's son b) Vergil's son or c) Sparda had mysterious other children who could have fathered Nero, but this does not sound likely, given Sparda's supposed sense of honour and decorum. We are never told there were any other siblings in the Sparda family besides Dante and Vergil, but if there were supposed to be (apart from retcons) you'd think it would have been mentioned somewhere, either in the novels or the games. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, because I haven't read the novels).

5. Nero does not have the same powers of a half-demon like Dante or Vergil - or a full-body Devil Trigger. If he was only one-quarter demon, this makes sense it manifests in a different or less obvious way, localized to his arm (and the demonic aura).

6. Nero's DT does have the downward-pointing striped horns that Nelo Angelo had, and it is blue, and it's armour has similar patterns to some of Vergil's clothing from DMC3. I thought this was a reference to Vergil, rather than Yamato, when I played. If it is meant to be a unique design, almost every fan out there who played DMC1 probably made the unconscious connection to Nelo based on the horns alone. Whether anyone thinks the DT strongly or weakly resembles Nelo, you have to admit, they could have made it look totally different from Nelo but didn't.

7. Nero's affinity for Yamato and its affinity for him (healing itself when it comes to him) could suggest it knew he was its rightful heir, and he felt comfortable with it. Dante also lets him have it, after stating he ought to 'keep it in the family'. This U-turn of opinion suggests Dante figured out Nero was his brother's son and lets him keep the sword because Vergil would likely have passed it on to him anyway (in addition to seeing that Nero is using it for the right reasons).

8. Fans suggest Vergil would have been too young to have fathered Nero. Possibly technically not, if you know what I mean - but also he could have visited Fortuna after the event of DMC while corrupted. If Sparda could walk about the human world in human guise and father kids, then Vergil more than likely could too.

9. Physical similarity to Sparda and his sons, white hair, etc.

'EVIDENCE' AGAINST:

1: Nobody has fully, "officially" confirmed that Nero is Vergil's son in a game.

2. The novel also could suggest Nero was injured and 'tainted' by a demon, hence developing the arm only after this happened, and it NOT being caused by inheritance. I would say the emphasis through all the games on bloodline being a prerequisite for demonic power makes this a stretch, but then look at Arius, or Sanctus, or Arkham... all of them are humans who managed to gain demon powers without any natural inheritance we're aware of. There's also the idea Nero was created by the Order - they were doing creepy experiments with demonic power, and intended to use a Sparda son to activate the Saviour (if you disregard the novels which say he was an orphan).

3. The DMC4 novel states that the blue aura above Nero is Nero's soul. It doesn't refer to Vergil as far as I'm aware.

4. Fans suggest there would be little reason for Vergil to visit a prostitute or have children. Although not canon, Vergil's character in the manga looks down on 'painted whores' and it's not hard to imagine he wouldn't bother with them. He's too busy getting more power. (Then again, Vergil embraces his demonic side. So who knows?)

5. The quality of "wanting more power" might just be a general demonic goal, not one reserved only to Vergil. In that sense, whether Nero is Vergil son, the son of another Sparda relation, or even a creation, as long as he's got a little demonic blood in him, it's natural that he wants more power to protect Kyrie; he gets hold of a massively powerful Devil Arm (Yamato) and naturally wants to keep it. And there are plenty of mere humans drooling over 'more power' in the DMC series. . .

6. A lot of stuff is spin-off material, with vague hints and suggestions, but we can only really be sure if we hear the 'truth' in a game of the canon, or if a DMC designer comes forward and admits it is the case.

7. It's implied Nero is MORE powerful than Dante even, who is supposedly even more powerful than Sparda... for a quarter-demon to be more powerful than a direct son of Sparda is a stretch, but apparently it's true, so perhaps he is not Vergil's son at all. Why Vergil's son would be more powerful than Dante is anyone's guess, as it doesn't seem logical... (points to me more of him being a creation of the Order for use in the Saviour than being a descendant. Unless these CAPCOM guys just didn't swot up on genetics. ;))

8. As mentioned by Darth Angelo, the scabbard of Nero's DT seems to be a feature of the Devil Arm Yamato and not of Vergil himself.

...If you guys mention some more I'll add them to the list.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
7. It's implied Nero is MORE powerful than Dante even, who is supposedly even more powerful than Sparda...

Wait where was this implied?

Last I checked Dante beat Nero pretty easily the second time they fought

Shadow Sparda

Shadow Sparda
Hmmm...well this is interesting...alot of people do say that Nero is Vergil's son. And I have to agree with them. True i haven't played the game but I have seen the cut scenes of the game on YouTube, and I have to say that the way Nero is able to use Vergil's sword Yamato makes it quite clear that he is in fact his son. I've even seen the way Nero fights, and yes he fights like Dante but if you really think about it when Nero DTs what do you see behind him?
I'm not trying to get in any arguments, and I know that like I said before I never played the game so I could be wrong. Not only that...well if you think about it Vergil could've been with a moral woman, and they had a son. If you pay close attention to what the other charaters say in the game you can tell that they do hint a lot about Vergil, and that Nero is Sparda's grandson. But again I could be wrong about that.

NeroS

..who am i kidding lets just morph and eat em!
From what i read here and what i can tell i will say this.I really could be wrong as im just stating what i understand.

1)Nero's DT.So some people say that Nero's DT represents Vergil as nelo angelo in a way.Also some say that you can hear his voice echoing(i think it was when you DT'd).I believe he's kinda related to Vergil in the way he does showdown(reason being,cause DMC4 is not fast paced like the previous series,it somehow looks that nero's is good at the sword).Do not forget.Nero is young and he just repairs the sword right out of the blue.If they ever deepened nero's story as in creating a dmc with him being older and more experted with yamato.it could prove it.But then again.Its not enough.

2)Nero being a descendent of Sparda's blood as Sanctus says.Yes.It looks like a hint.I believe it.I wouldnt understand it if they just put that sentence in the game and it turned out a lie.another reason to make ME believe he's vergil's son.

3)Nero being related to Vergil due to:"And a voice echoed,power...Give me more..Power!.If i have to become a demon so be it.i will endure the exile..anything to protect her".I blastidly do not believe in anyway this relates nero to vergil.Anyone could basically say it.

this is all i could think of.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Wait where was this implied?

Last I checked Dante beat Nero pretty easily the second time they fought

(There was a bit of a discussion on this in the forums somewhere... I've tried to find it but I can't remember where it is, maybe someone else remembers and can point it out). But basically it's implied Nero is stronger in terms of brute physical force with him (and his arm) smacking Dante about in the beginning like a rag doll - even Dante doesn't do this kind of thing that much in the series, despite his true demonic power, Sparda's power no less. Nero is still just a youth and Dante is a mature half-demon, yet we see Nero doing things in the beginning of the game that imply he has a greater power than Dante, physically. But Dante of course is older and wiser and beats Nero later through other means than just smacking him about.

NeroS

(There was a bit of a discussion on this in the forums somewhere... I've tried to find it but I can't remember where it is, maybe someone else remembers and can point it out). But basically it's implied Nero is stronger in terms of brute physical force with him (and his arm) smacking Dante about in the beginning like a rag doll - even Dante doesn't do this kind of thing that much in the series, despite his true demonic power, Sparda's power no less. Nero is still just a youth and Dante is a mature half-demon, yet we see Nero doing things in the beginning of the game that imply he has a greater power than Dante, physically. But Dante of course is older and wiser and beats Nero later through other means than just smacking him about.

I dont really agree with nero being stronger than him but preferably like an exact is some sort.I mean he just did a number of punches and dante's DT reacted?Its strange but exciting.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yeah, I'm not personally sure but I did think in the discussion it was pointed out that Nero was matching Dante and throwing him around, and yet he should probably be weaker if he is only 1/4 demon as well as younger and more inexperienced in the use of his arm. Although, who knows how this is supposed to pan out in the DMCverse... if ordinary humans can easily become devils or gain powers, then who really knows? But since it's definitely implied in the series that Dante and Vergil are equals in DMC3 at that age (as though a certain measure of Sparda blood at a certain age = a certain measure of power), but later as he matures Dante gains (or exceeds) the powers of Sparda, then I suppose what Arkham says about "half breeds" never being able to beat pure demons is nonsense.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I think it was pretty obvious that Dante was completely toying with Nero in their first fight.

Hence the reason why Nero was "smacking him around".

I really do not think that proves that Nero is stronger then Dante.

Just means that Dante likes to play around to much lol.

Technowraith

SSSmokin' Sick Style!
Not sure if this will help you guys out, because it only made my head spin more. LoL. http://devils-lair.org/dmc4novel.html It's a general translation/summary of the japanese DMC novels that weren't released in the US. It gives limited insights into Nero, but provides more than we have now. Like I said, not sure if it make anything make any kind of sense though. Taking everything into account between games, manga and anime, these novels kinda add to, but also convolute, the plot line in some ways or another.

NeroS

I think it was pretty obvious that Dante was completely toying with Nero in their first fight.

Hence the reason why Nero was "smacking him around".

I really do not think that proves that Nero is stronger then Dante.

Just means that Dante likes to play around to much lol.

I do not believe he's stronger than Dante as of now too.Still the arm must be strong to cause dante's DT to react.
Not sure if this will help you guys out, because it only made my head spin more. LoL. http://devils-lair.org/dmc4novel.html It's a general translation/summary of the japanese DMC novels that weren't released in the US. It gives limited insights into Nero, but provides more than we have now. Like I said, not sure if it make anything make any kind of sense though. Taking everything into account between games, manga and anime, these novels kinda add to, but also convolute, the plot line in some ways or another.

Oooh interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom