• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero. Is he really Vergil's son?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslmpg

DreadnoughtDT;264592 said:
The SE had toned down difficulty to appeal to casual gamers.

And y'know, that was really really blunt and kind of assholeish to say.
I can't help it if KOH keeps pulling "facts" out of his ass. He does this in many of his posts. Don't get mad at me for pointing it out.

And toning down difficulty doesn't automatically mean it appealed to casual gamers. I didn't see any attempts to market it towards them, and the addition of Vergil would have been totally incomprehensible since he has basically no story for his mode.
King of Hell;264596 said:
@moseslmpg: do you really live in a world where everything you say is right & the others are wrong? stop being so self righteous, the special edition tuned down the difficulty & added an extra difficulty "Very Hard" to appeal to both casual & us, we love it harder while casuals like to breeze through. & yes critical success matters, DMC3 was more critically successful than DMC2, yet DMC2 sold half a million more copies than 3. so where's the DMC2 wannabe game? DMC4 used the style system if I remember, not the amulet. its true that the priority is the financial success, but without critical success, the next game would flop.
Just because I think you're wrong it must mean I think I'm always right? Don't overgeneralize.

Hardcore gamers are not defined essentially by what difficulty they choose, it is by their level of interest and devotion to a series. I have never enjoyed the so-called "challenge" of playing on harder difficulties, but I am certainly not a casual DMC gamer.

And no, critical success has no value in itself for game companies. They don't get paid more if their game is a critical success, they get paid more if more people buy it. If a company can make a game that is a critical flop but a financial winner, they aren't going to cry about how no one likes the game. The designers might, but the companies measure value in money not words written by reviewers. This is why you have sleeper hits that have great reviews but no one buys them for whatever reason. (And IIRC, the only thing DMC4 had from DMC3 was Yamato and styles and moves for Dante, everything else was more similar to DMC2 than 3).

Back on topic: I think that even if Capcom does hand the series over to another company, they will have to have some oversight in terms of the general idea of the game, and probably details like Nero. But I just believe that Nero cannot be explained away without some ridiculous backtracking and non sequitur explanations. That said, I would feel more comfortable with a Western company doing it as Western games tend to have more intelligible stories than purely Japanese ones *cough*Bayonetta*cough*

I would actually be more worried about gameplay than anything else. There is no Western game on the market that has been able to match DMC's type of action. GOW doesn't even come close.

King of Hell

Must Die
well, IT IS A FACT that DMC3SE was tuned down in difficulty, I didn't pull it out of my ass.

anyway, so you're implying that they made DMC4 to look like DMC2 because it sold more than 3?
critical success matters, 1- it encourges the developers. 2- it gives positive image to the franchise, this allows the next sequel to sell more. 3- critical success is a form of free marketing. a lot of gamers just go to the Editor's Choice page in IGN every month to look for a game to buy. 4- it gives positive image to the publishers & developers themselves, positive image means people would buy other games from the developers/publishers' lineup. would you buy from a company that's famous of a critically failed franchise? I know I wouldn't, & a lot of people wouldn't too.

Resident Evil 4 received critical acclaim, yet RE3 & 2 sold more than 4. so what did they do in RE5? improvements in the mechanics of RE4, yet the old RE fans keep complaining. RE4's critical acclaim led RE5 to be the highest selling game in the franchise.

capcom only cares about money, but critical success leads to more money too, not just financial success, I'm not saying they wanna please us out of the goodness of their hearts. comparing critical success to financial success is like comparing Financial Accounting to Management Accounting, all companies need Financial Accounting departments, but smaller ones don't need a Management Accounting department. I don't wanna get too technical, indie developers only want to meet their revenue budget, but publishers like capcom look into long term investments, not just sell the game now & we're done.

Dragon King

King Of Dragons
Yea I know we are off-topic but i would like to get back on topic. Nero can't be Vergil's son because of age difference. Since it's been established that Dante/Vergil are in their late 20's, Vergil would have to have been at least 10 years old when having a son....... NOT POSSIBLE!!!

moseslmpg

In DMC4 Dante is in his mid 30s. Nero is from 17-19. this means Nero was born before the mangas, where the twins were 18. So it is possible for him to have been conceived when Vergil was in his late teens.

Kalewi

CompleteGlobalSaturation
Nero must be half-bro or bro to Dante and Vergil.
Nero wears blue pants(vergil), red shirt(Dante) and purple coat(Sparda). His personality is mixture of Dante's and Vergil's(hot-headed and sardonic). His personality is similiar to Sparda's. Vergil only uses melee weapons and Dante seems to be more in guns(in anime and cutscenes), Nero is happily in the middle using both melee weapons and guns. Also trusts more in his devilish powers than the twins(maybe trait from Sparda). And last but not least, blood of Sparda runs in his veins. Sparda's first sons are twins so his traits splitted between them. Nero was born later alone so he got whole personality of Sparda(atleast similiar).

Sorry if message is messy or something:)I signed in when I found this thread just moments ago. This question has caused lots of head scrathing:lol: Wish we get lots of answers in DMC5.

Vampi

Kalewi;265861 said:
Nero must be half-bro or bro to Dante and Vergil.
Nero wears blue pants(vergil), red shirt(Dante) and purple coat(Sparda). His personality is mixture of Dante's and Vergil's(hot-headed and sardonic). His personality is similiar to Sparda's. Vergil only uses melee weapons and Dante seems to be more in guns(in anime and cutscenes), Nero is happily in the middle using both melee weapons and guns. Also trusts more in his devilish powers than the twins(maybe trait from Sparda). And last but not least, blood of Sparda runs in his veins. Sparda's first sons are twins so his traits splitted between them. Nero was born later alone so he got whole personality of Sparda(atleast similiar).

Sorry if message is messy or something:)I signed in when I found this thread just moments ago. This question has caused lots of head scrathing:lol: Wish we get lots of answers in DMC5.

How do you know anything about Sparda's personality?

Sparda is a plot device more then an actual character.

And no Nero is not sum half-brother or even Son of Vergil or anything like that. Those are both very dumb scenarios (though being half-brother can happen. Though i rather have that then son of Vergil).

I rather be Nero a clone of Sparda.

Kalewi

CompleteGlobalSaturation
Well. In novels or where it was told that, Sparda was rebellious and coldblooded. Maybe the half bro theory is dumb but is the least dumb theory to me. Dante uses a lot more guns in cutscenes and anime. Only in DMC4 he used melee weapons in cutscenes because they needed to introduce the new weapons.

Nero being Vergil's son? Nah... I'm not sure if this is already speculated but think about Nero's arm the "DEVIL BRINGER".
Yamato is Vergil's devil arm so when Nero wields Yamato with his devil bringer he "brings" devil(in this case vergil). I think thats the true ability of that hand. Maybe if he wields Rebellion he starts to fight like Dante and in DT the spirit over his head would be red and resemble Dante in DT.

:cool: I are weird:cool:

King of Hell

Must Die
Dante always balanced between guns & swords, in the original, we didn't see him use his guns that often, he used them to send Mundus to hell that's it. in DMC3 you can see that he perfectly balances between swords & guns in the opening cutscene, or even when jumping from the tower.

anyway, I've been smelling Liquid Ocelet for a long time, maybe Nero doesn't even have a family...

Vampi

Kalewi;265922 said:
Well. In novels or where it was told that, Sparda was rebellious and coldblooded. Maybe the half bro theory is dumb but is the least dumb theory to me. Dante uses a lot more guns in cutscenes and anime. Only in DMC4 he used melee weapons in cutscenes because they needed to introduce the new weapons.

Nero being Vergil's son? Nah... I'm not sure if this is already speculated but think about Nero's arm the "DEVIL BRINGER".
Yamato is Vergil's devil arm so when Nero wields Yamato with his devil bringer he "brings" devil(in this case vergil). I think thats the true ability of that hand. Maybe if he wields Rebellion he starts to fight like Dante and in DT the spirit over his head would be red and resemble Dante in DT.

:cool: I are weird:cool:

I don't think Sparda was ever cold-blooded. Mind you in the manga profile Dante interprets Sparda as that (that's why he has issues with him in DMC 3 until he realized that his Papa wasn't so bad afterall). Mind you, Sparda is a full demon living a life in the human world with a family, he'll always be an outsider since he wasn't raised to be human. It must be very hard for him to conform and be accepted in the human world.

Dante always has a balance between the sword and guns i don't know you're talking about.

And yes i know that Vergil is connected to the arm and all that, nothing new to me. But Nero wielding Rebellion isn't going to make him all of a sudden get a red DT and fight like Dante...cause Dante is alive and conscious ya know.

Kalewi

CompleteGlobalSaturation
Well Rebellion was just an example. I meant that his hand devil bringer may have an ability to manifest demons through devil arms and stuff. In this case when he got his fingers on Vergil's Yamato.

Dragon King

King Of Dragons
So Nero's DT reflects the Devil Arm he's holding? That doesn't sound too far fetched. Since he gains most of his abilities by absorbing artifacts with his "Devil Bringer". And his arm did absorb the Yamato and is only available in DT Form. Maybe that's how the demon residing in his arm expects Nero to "give him more power".

HQQR - Solid

THE AWESOME
Nero being Vergil's son ISN'T that hard to believe! I mean honestly, do you expect a 17-18 year old Vergil to be so wrapped up in gaining power that he forgets to get some here and there? Uhhh no. Besides by U.S. standards 17-18 is about the time when you're an "Adult" Vergie WAS a big boy, so he did some "big-boy" things and from that came Nero. Even the manga has eluded to Nero being Vergil's son. It's like you need someone to beat you over the head screaming Nero = Vergil's son to believe it. :/

moseslmpg

Vergil is not a real person. Real 17-18 year olds are not bent on acquiring unfathomable power from their full demon savior father. Not all real 17-18 year olds waste their time pursuing sex either. It is most likely that any sexual desires that Vergil had were sublimated in his quest for power.

The novel alludes to Nero being his son, not the manga.

Cat

Vergil-ologist
Can I ask you guys something? I've been out-of-the loop lately, when it concerns DMC, so is there a new manga out since this year started? I know of no mention of Nero in any DMC manga that I've read...

aoshi

OMG , Is this cat.sekai?

To answer your question, I have no idea of other DMC sources besides games.

Cat

Vergil-ologist
aoshi;267107 said:
OMG , Is this cat.sekai?

To answer your question, I have no idea of other DMC sources besides games.

Cat.sekai? I don't know who that this... Sorry. But, nice to meet you, anyway!

Vampi

Cat;267097 said:
Can I ask you guys something? I've been out-of-the loop lately, when it concerns DMC, so is there a new manga out since this year started? I know of no mention of Nero in any DMC manga that I've read...

No there is no new manga from this year featuring any DMC characters. But there is a novel from last year or the year before with Nero in it that's only available in Japan.

Cat

Vergil-ologist
Vampi;267140 said:
No there is no new manga from this year featuring any DMC characters. But there is a novel from last year or the year before with Nero in it that's only available in Japan.

Thanks, Vampi. That's what I was thinking. I do know about those DMC 4 novels and what happens in them. I hope they get published in English some day soon...

Anyway, I think Nero is Vergil's son. DMC 4 alone implies that he probably is, and I think that's really okay. I don't have a problem with Vergil having a kid he didn't know about, assuming he didn't know about Nero. Makes him seem more realistic and it's probably the only way he'd father a child.

If anyone was going to have a kid willingly, it'd be Dante, and we know Sparda had kids on purpose. But, I don't see Dante playing a fatherly role in any of these games. His being a dad would be beyond their scope, but it's realistic, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom