• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

MAJOR SPOILERS! ENDING SHOWN HERE

AngelMode

I think you misinterpreted the ending. Vergil isn't evil. He just has a different way of dealing with the future and that happens to oppose Dante's feelings, because Dante feels that he's like them (human).

I didn't interpret anything, I understand that. Vergil is not evil, he just has a different view, thinking humans are inferior. But I sort of already knew this. Again, I'm not saying the ending is a horrible crap, it's an ok ending for what it is.... but, again, way too anti-climatic for me.

I think when we play through the full game and see how Vergil kind of hints at not caring about humanity we will be more impressed, but honestly they could have done a better job than that. The ending premise is good, but they could have made it more epic. Not epic as in loud orchestrals and choir chants like in Skyrim, but something more powerful.

I'm thinking the fight with Mundus will give us that thrill. And the Vergil final boss is just like an extra little something that happens at the end to give way to a DmC2/Vergil DLC. That's how I think of it.

Gbraga

So Vergil just suddenly turns evil and fights Dante at the very end?

Ok ending, but this is no masterpiece of story telling Ninja Theory kept on bragging so much about. I have seen good endings on video games before, and I'm sorry but this doesn't quite cut it. I was expecting something a bit more epic but this is just... ridiculously anti-climatic. It's like Vergil just turned to Dante and went "Oh btw, now that we all beat the final boss and everything is like happy sunshine, I'm just gonna randomly fight you right here." They just sort of pushed the final boss on to you just because it's Vergil and you must fight Vergil like in DMC3...

I mean... I would have loved it so much if they kept Mundus as the final boss, cutting Vergil completely, and the ending was a cliff hanger where Vergil just makes a creepy grin and you know shiz is gonna go down in DmC2. Hopefully the Vergil DLC will explain a bit more thereafter but this is sort of bad guys.... we can't deny we were expecting a bit more than this.
I disagree with Vergil turning evil, that's not what happens, but other than that I completely agree, it would be much better to just end it with the world being reformed and with that reform being supervised by Vergil and Dante, and then in the second game you'd see the power hungry Vergil being corrupted by power and saying that control is the only way to keep peace, while Dante says their work is done and they must set people free, and Vergil becomes the new villain, it would give DmC a much better ending, and a better bulid up for their fight, even if it was basically the same thing.

crush

So Vergil just suddenly turns evil and fights Dante at the very end?

Ok ending, but this is no masterpiece of story telling Ninja Theory kept on bragging so much about. I have seen good endings on video games before, and I'm sorry but this doesn't quite cut it. I was expecting something a bit more epic but this is just... ridiculously anti-climatic. It's like Vergil just turned to Dante and went "Oh btw, now that we all beat the final boss and everything is like happy sunshine, I'm just gonna randomly fight you right here." They just sort of pushed the final boss on to you just because it's Vergil and you must fight Vergil like in DMC3...

I mean... I would have loved it so much if they kept Mundus as the final boss, cutting Vergil completely, and the ending was a cliff hanger where Vergil just makes a creepy grin and you know shiz is gonna go down in DmC2. Hopefully the Vergil DLC will explain a bit more thereafter but this is sort of bad guys.... we can't deny we were expecting a bit more than this.

It's not random. You are missing the fact that mundus owned the world by debt.
There must be a someone to take his shoes, and Vergil intended to.
If not humanity would just go into full-scale war between themselves even without the help of demons.
That is what he is saying "like children".
he says he intends to bring down demon sites and position humans into the right place.

ChaserTech

I also hate how you can't be that creative in terms of boss fights.

You're literally set in a position where you have to follow by scripted scenes and sequences. Even though in DMC4, Nero had "scripted sequences" but that was only if you took advantage of them. You didn't have to do it at all. (except for when a Boss recovers) But aside from that, you could do anything you wanted within the boss fight without worrying about a boss doing certain things that prevents you from attacking them for a short amount of time. (Again, except when a Boss recovers.).

An example of what I'm talking about.

Dante never stops attacking until Agnus recovers. And even when he does have an attack that couldn't be stopped, he simply blocks it or just evades any way he wants.

EDIT:

Now looking at this, I could definitely see Bloody Palace having bosses with enemies spawning.

majeh116

After watching the ending I gotta saw the build up was great (though the fight seemed easy) though the ending i feel ended to soon. it was literally perfectly fine until the ending stopped ending and just went straight to credits. I feel there was no resolution Dante just get's reassured of his individuality by Kat and it ends. I would have enjoyed seeing...you know the aftermath etc what did Dante do, what did Kat do, (I guess Vergil's downfall is what Vergil did) Though...I have a suspicion...what if at the end of Vergil's downfall you get the aftermath ending we lack? Then it's oh we didn't charge you for the real ending! (we just said u couldnt have it unless u preordered cough cough.)

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
I didn't interpret anything, I understand that. Vergil is not evil, he just has a different view, thinking humans are inferior. But I sort of already knew this. Again, I'm not saying the ending is a horrible crap, it's an ok ending for what it is.... but, again, way too anti-climatic for me.

I'm thinking the fight with Mundus will give us that thrill. And the Vergil final boss is just like an extra little something that happens at the end to give way to a DmC2/Vergil DLC. That's how I think of it.

It would have been awesome if Dante turned increasingly demonic as he started arguing with Vergil, but when Vergil would say "You are not human," he would immediately un-DT, look down, grab his amulet, look at Kat crying, and then fight him.

EvilX-81

Vergil said that he loved Dante, fangirls are going to go ballistic when they hear this.
Looks to me like Vergil tried to be the Dark Knight Sparda of DmC by taking over after Mundus was dead.
But I feel that Vergil pretty much sabotaged himself, if he had just shut up and let things go their natural course both him and Dante would've naturally been given positions of high authority in time.
Also, **** off /v/

Speaking of which.... we still have the question of what happened to Eva and Sparda that would leave them in an open position to rule. without their interference.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well since we're starting to cool down abit, I'll say this.

I'll tell you what I saw in that ending.

A long battle of two special brothers who had to fight through constant demon bosses, face destruction at every turn, and felt as though they were fighting a battle that they truthfully knew they'd lose. Dante himself had the sinking feeling that he would die in this plan of Vergil's and just didn't care. But Kat changed his mind the more they spent time together. Kat was the one who saved Dante from his ride to death mentally and physically. And finally with that determination and will to fight the demons, the three were victorious in their battle, and accomplished their goal. The humans thought Dante and the others were the real enemies of the world. That they were wrong. But ti turns out the humans were mistaken and the demons were the people they depended on the most.

That makes you think. The people who we always depend on like the government we are ruled under, or trusting every word or law abides for us. Are they truly the liberators of our suffering, or are they denying us a gateway to the truth about their intentions for the country they rule under?

Anyway back to the DmC ending. Now that all is said and done and humans are now free from demon control...They'll never survive on their own. With all this that's happened the world will go into a state of panic. Humans will kill others, buildings will be destroyed, society and civilization will halt to exist. They need a ruler.

This was what Vergil wanted.

Vergil wanted to protect the humans as a ruler and governor so that they will never face destruction, but he wanted to do it in a way that could also jeprodize humanity's freedom and possibly their lives as well.

Dante didn't want this.

He wanted humans to be free from their torment from any ruler of higher power because that wouldn't make that ruler any better then Mundus.

Vergil believes that him and Dante should have the right to say that they can rule over the humans as a offering for being the only beings to save them, but Dante breaks that thought by adding one small but key factor to their victory.

Kat.

Kat was the human who saved humanity as well, and has suffered through so much torture, lead Dante and Vergil through Mundus's tower WITH an injured arm, and saved Dante, SAVED Dante. Something most humans in DMC have the power to do. And what does Vergil say?

"She was useful."

All that hard work and pain Kat had to suffer through for his ambitions and Vergil spits right at her face and says she was useful? How can Vergil be so cruel? I think I know. He let his lust for power cloud his better judgement of how the world really is and how Kat truly was a driving point in their plan even succeeding.

But Vergil wouldn't have that. He believes Dante is still the selfish arrogant punk that he was when they first met, and wanted him to be part of this goal of his, seeing it Vergil's way. But he didn't realize that Dante wouldn't go for this and that he didn't want humans to be the product of human farming for Vergil's power lust over the humanity that didn't give a damn about him, or Dante.

Dante didn't want to destroy Mundus so that Vergil could just slip right on the throne again. He knew he didn't want to, but had no other choice.

He had to end it.

Vergil was obviously upset about this which is why he yelled at Kat. I mean think back to how Kat respected Vergil, and how Vergil helped her from possibly getting killed or doing suicide. She was pretty much in love with him, and he spat in her face by calling her something that was compared to a tool. That's pretty awful.

Now I won't spoil the fight but at 7:00, It reminded me of DMC3 a lot with the colors and all.

Now for the final scene.

Dante had had enough of Vergil's power hungeryness, and felt he needed to end this once and for all. Now if we remember from DMC3, Dante had no choice but to kill Vergil because of all that he was doing, this can be said for Dante as he must do what needs to be done, or Vergil will get as strong as Mundus and take over humanity. But he also felt broken that he had to kill his own brother like this. No brother should have to see his brother laying on the floor with a sword in his chest like that. It's just horrid and vile. And Dante knew this, but...he had to be the devil hunter. He had to kill evil.

And that's where Kat comes in.

Kat's words were able to stop a demon from killing, and calm the beast within Dante's soul. Proving that maybe a human really can make a difference in the world. That Kat was more the of use. She was the person who's voice made Dante something he never thought he was; human. Through Kat, Dante is human.

Vergil didn't see it the same way.

Vergil could only see foolishness and someone try

to be someone they're not. In a way, the fans who thought new Dante tried to be cool were right. He tried to be something he's not, which is what Vergil thought of him. So he knew that one day, they will have to fight again, and that both will have to kill each other.

Once Vergil left Dante was able to feel true feeling. The doubt he always felt from the beginning of what he truly was came back in him, and he did so much so that he wouldn't have to feel that hurt anymore. He fought so hard to be more then a monster, only for Vergil to remind him he still is one no matter what he does.

But Dante's more then that.

As Kat said; "He is Dante. Nothing more, nothing less."

That's my two cents on it.^_^

Gbraga

If not humanity would just go into full-scale war between themselves even without the help of demons.
he says he intends to bring down demon sites and position humans into the right place.
Exactly, it's kinda like two gods arguing about guiding humans to their full potential or giving them free will, even if it'll ultimately destroy them.

TheNoHeartedBeing

I also hate how you can't be that creative in terms of boss fights.

You're literally set in a position where you have to follow by scripted scenes and sequences. Even though in DMC4, Nero had "scripted sequences" but that was only if you took advantage of them. You didn't have to do it at all. (except for when a Boss recovers) But aside from that, you could do anything you wanted within the boss fight without worrying about a boss doing certain things that prevents you from attacking them for a short amount of time. (Again, except when a Boss recovers.).

An example of what I'm talking about.

Dante never stops attacking until Agnus recovers. And even when he does have an attack that couldn't be stopped, he simply blocks it or just evades any way he wants.

EDIT:

Now looking at this, I could definitely see Bloody Palace having bosses with enemies spawning.
I do support DmC but i do agree on this as well. I never really thought about the boss fights that way.

Trinity

Well since we're starting to cool down abit, I'll say this.

I'll tell you what I saw in that ending.

A long battle of two special brothers who had to fight through constant demon bosses, face destruction at every turn, and felt as though they were fighting a battle that they truthfully knew they'd lose. Dante himself had the sinking feeling that he would die in this plan of Vergil's and just didn't care. But Kat changed his mind the more they spent time together. Kat was the one who saved Dante from his ride to death mentally and physically. And finally with that determination and will to fight the demons, the three were victorious in their battle, and accomplished their goal. The humans thought Dante and the others were the real enemies of the world. That they were wrong. But ti turns out the humans were mistaken and the demons were the people they depended on the most.

That makes you think. The people who we always depend on like the government we are ruled under, or trusting every word or law abides for us. Are they truly the liberators of our suffering, or are they denying us a gateway to the truth about their intentions for the country they rule under?

Anyway back to the DmC ending. Now that all is said and done and humans are now free from demon control...They'll never survive on their own. With all this that's happened the world will go into a state of panic. Humans will kill others, buildings will be destroyed, society and civilization will halt to exist. They need a ruler.

This was what Vergil wanted.

Vergil wanted to protect the humans as a ruler and governor so that they will never face destruction, but he wanted to do it in a way that could also jeprodize humanity's freedom and possibly their lives as well.

Dante didn't want this.

He wanted humans to be free from their torment from any ruler of higher power because that wouldn't make that ruler any better then Mundus.

Vergil believes that him and Dante should have the right to say that they can rule over the humans as a offering for being the only beings to save them, but Dante breaks that thought by adding one small but key factor to their victory.

Kat.

Kat was the human who saved humanity as well, and has suffered through so much torture, lead Dante and Vergil through Mundus's tower WITH an injured arm, and saved Dante, SAVED Dante. Something most humans in DMC have the power to do. And what does Vergil say?

"She was useful."

All that hard work and pain Kat had to suffer through for his ambitions and Vergil spits right at her face and says she was useful? How can Vergil be so cruel? I think I know. He let his lust for power cloud his better judgement of how the world really is and how Kat truly was a driving point in their plan even succeeding.

But Vergil wouldn't have that. He believes Dante is still the selfish arrogant punk that he was when they first met, and wanted him to be part of this goal of his, seeing it Vergil's way. But he didn't realize that Dante wouldn't go for this and that he didn't want humans to be the product of human farming for Vergil's power lust over the humanity that didn't give a damn about him, or Dante.

Dante didn't want to destroy Mundus so that Vergil could just slip right on the throne again. He knew he didn't want to, but had no other choice.

He had to end it.

Vergil was obviously upset about this which is why he yelled at Kat. I mean think back to how Kat respected Vergil, and how Vergil helped her from possibly getting killed or doing suicide. She was pretty much in love with him, and he spat in her face by calling her something that was compared to a tool. That's pretty awful.

Now I won't spoil the fight but at 7:00, It reminded me of DMC3 a lot with the colors and all.

Now for the final scene.

Dante had had enough of Vergil's power hungeryness, and felt he needed to end this once and for all. Now if we remember from DMC3, Dante had no choice but to kill Vergil because of all that he was doing, this can be said for Dante as he must do what needs to be done, or Vergil will get as strong as Mundus and take over humanity. But he also felt broken that he had to kill his own brother like this. No brother should have to see his brother laying on the floor with a sword in his chest like that. It's just horrid and vile. And Dante knew this, but...he had to be the devil hunter. He had to kill evil.

And that's where Kat comes in.

Kat's words were able to stop a demon from killing, and calm the beast within Dante's soul. Proving that maybe a human really can make a difference in the world. That Kat was more the of use. She was the person who's voice made Dante something he never thought he was; human. Through Kat, Dante is human.

Vergil didn't see it the same way.

Vergil could only see foolishness and someone try

to be someone they're not. In a way, the fans who thought new Dante tried to be cool were right. He tried to be something he's not, which is what Vergil thought of him. So he knew that one day, they will have to fight again, and that both will have to kill each other.

Once Vergil left Dante was able to feel true feeling. The doubt he always felt from the beginning of what he truly was came back in him, and he did so much so that he wouldn't have to feel that hurt anymore. He fought so hard to be more then a monster, only for Vergil to remind him he still is one no matter what he does.

But Dante's more then that.

As Kat said; "He is Dante. Nothing more, nothing less."

That's my two cents on it.^_^

Gbraga

I do agree with all that, and as I said, the build up was great! But after the fight it was just too "meh", it left all those great questions and things to be discussed to the side and focused on a straightforward cliche ending that no one would care about.

Something bold of Ninja Theory that could work is if they explored in a sequel Dante being corrupted by power, like, he wants freedom, but it's not like he blinks and then suddenly everyone's free, he'd have to do it himself, so in the process he could've become power hungry, and then we have to hunt him down with another playable character in the sequel.

AngelMode

Well, yeah, I get that. But all that happens too fast.

You could make an entire game of Vergil just trying to take control and replace Mundus and NT just literally threw that whole thing right in your face in the last 5 minutes of the game.

chocolatepanda

After watching the ending I gotta saw the build up was great (though the fight seemed easy) though the ending i feel ended to soon. it was literally perfectly fine until the ending stopped ending and just went straight to credits. I feel there was no resolution Dante just get's reassured of his individuality by Kat and it ends. I would have enjoyed seeing...you know the aftermath etc what did Dante do, what did Kat do, (I guess Vergil's downfall is what Vergil did) Though...I have a suspicion...what if at the end of Vergil's downfall you get the aftermath ending we lack? Then it's oh we didn't charge you for the real ending! (we just said u couldnt have it unless u preordered cough cough.)
About the fight seeming easy i think it was on easy either human or devil hunter mode which both equal easy to me while nephilim is closest to normal. I mean the guy was getting own at some point and took very little damage.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
well if we do get a DmC sequel I at least hope this Dante is more "professional" in it rather than a rugged brawler.

One thing I did notice from all the story trailers I have seen is that this Dante did indeed grow from this.

Hopefully it actually shows appearance and personality wise in DmC2.

That being said, I still would choose a DMC5 over a DmC2 any day lol.

Top Bottom