• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's gush about DMC2!

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
Majin form ftw!
Oh, and the amulets thing is also quite interesting and entertaining, it adds to the replay value and the game and makes the DT much more interesting and varied.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Really, the only issue I have with DMC 2 is that it's good as far as just being a game goes, but as far as being a Devil May Cry game, it falls short, and I think for most that is what's most frustrating; So much potential lost.

But, there were a few things that I did like and appreciate about DMC 2...

- The end of mission Ranking system was actually broken down to allow the player to see where they're going wrong, be it taking too long, not acquiring enough orbs, etc
- The style in general. Running up walls, turning completely upside down in mid-air whilst wildly firing E&I, etc.
- The 'Boss run' level, where it was every Boss you'd previously fought, pitted against You in the same mission.

On the whole, DMC 2 isn't that bad, it just isn't that good either, the paper thin story line and lifeless characters make it very uninteresting. The best example of how hollow DMC 2 is would be Phantom. A returning boss from the first one, the one that smashes through the giant window pane, and prepares to insult Dante by letting him know how much of a disappointing catch He is, only for Dante to appear unconcerned and let Phantom know what a big surprise his arrival is. The exchange between the two is brilliant and is why Phantom remains My favourite boss across the whole series. In DMC 2, Phantom just 'appears' randomly in some unexplained Orb portal in the sky, says absolutely nothing, gets beaten, says absolutely nothing, disappears, next mission.

"What?"

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Really, the only issue I have with DMC 2 is that it's good as far as just being a game goes, but as far as being a Devil May Cry game, it falls short, and I think for most that is what's most frustrating; So much potential lost.

But, there were a few things that I did like and appreciate about DMC 2...

- The end of mission Ranking system was actually broken down to allow the player to see where they're going wrong, be it taking too long, not acquiring enough orbs, etc
- The style in general. Running up walls, turning completely upside down in mid-air whilst wildly firing E&I, etc.
- The 'Boss run' level, where it was every Boss you'd previously fought, pitted against You in the same mission.

On the whole, DMC 2 isn't that bad, it just isn't that good either, the paper thin story line and lifeless characters make it very uninteresting. The best example of how hollow DMC 2 is would be Phantom. A returning boss from the first one, the one that smashes through the giant window pane, and prepares to insult Dante by letting him know how much of a disappointing catch He is, only for Dante to appear unconcerned and let Phantom know what a big surprise his arrival is. The exchange between the two is brilliant and is why Phantom remains My favourite boss across the whole series. In DMC 2, Phantom just 'appears' randomly in some unexplained Orb portal in the sky, says absolutely nothing, gets beaten, says absolutely nothing, disappears, next mission.

"What?"

I always thought that was because the Phantom fought in 2 was a different Phantom than the one that fought Dante in DMC1. And the story sucked, but you have to admit that seeing Phantom again made you feel pretty awesome, especially since he fights identically to his DMC1 incarnation and, in my opinion, is actually the hardest boss in the game sans the final boss.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
DMC 2 Dante had the best design and outfit imho. He looked killer!

6-SMT008.jpg
26-SMT034.jpg

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
Is this him in his Shin Megami Tensei incarnation?

Yes, Indeed it is! tbh, I played the game just to have a glimpse of Dante. Moreover, I really liked this DMC2 Dante version because he had that kinda DMC1 personality, mature but with cocky attitude!!

Zilla

The inFAAMous
in my opinion, is actually the hardest boss in the game sans the final boss.
Not even close. :p The stiffest challenge that DMC 2 has to offer is Trismagia on DMD difficulty. You think Mundus loves his projectiles? Trismagia wrote the book on projectiles.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Running on walls, and the Urboros corporation (hehe...I see what you did there...:troll:)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Not even close. :p The stiffest challenge that DMC 2 has to offer is Trismagia on DMD difficulty. You think Mundus loves his projectiles? Trismagia wrote the book on projectiles.

lol I never founds Trismagia remotely difficult on any difficulty. If you want projectile spam on DMD, then fight Nefascapitas.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
When I first went to get a DMC game, I was able to get DMC3 and DMC2. I was more pshyced for DMC3 as I played that first. Then I tried DMC2 and hardly put time into it. Then after defeating DMC3 while getting everything, (Including Vergil) I got bored of it. I decided to play DMC2 to the end and found it to be pretty good.Trickster AND Gunslinger in one form? Hell yeah! The enimies looked WAY more creepy in DMC2 and I had the hardest time killing the final bosses. Dante's attire here is my most favorite one. The wholeVan Helsing-like hunter look was really awesome, and the Rebellion looked it's best in 2 IMO. Dante's personality however was a bit of a turn-off, but I learned that this was after DMC3, DMC1, and DMC4, which I now excepted. That also made me feel like a bad ass since this was Dante at his strongest. I even walked the entire game cause "Bad asses don't need to run."

Shin Megami Dante made me like DMC2 Dante even more cause he looked so awesome in that game that I just had to play DMC2 again.

Then DMC3 broke and now it won't work for any PS2 I put in on. Got a second DMC3, still won't play on any PS2...Life hated me. But not enough to kill DMC2 for me. Maybe life wanted me to play DMC2 to see the good sides of it.

546193.jpg

Dante47

I'm starting to think DMC2 will get knocked off the pedestal of most "unloved" Devil May Cry sometime in maybe...
January 15, 2013? Just an estimate... At least by certain fans anyway.

I still love Devil May Cry 2's portrayal of Dante. He seems so experienced and wise. He was silent but the look in his eyes said everything that was needed. I also liked his voice actor, and I'd gladly accept him to play as a older Dante again.

Top Bottom