• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Legit though, DMC4 sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Didn't the game also come packaged with consoles, I always wonder how much that attributed to its overall sales, because it seems like both DMC3 and DmC seemed to have sold the same during their initial launches.

I don't think so, no. DMC4 came out during a liminality for the PS3 and 360 life cycles - no new system versions to bundle with it. Plus, it was too obscure of a game at the time to be in a bundle >.<

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well I bought my copy at a different store and it was in very good/new condition. The disk was in perfect condition, the case was still in that wrapping thingy, and everything for a new release like the instruction manual was still there. The game felt unopened.....i guess.

Ah, that can happen. I know at GameStop if we have a lot of new copies of game that hasn't sold well, and we're essentially sitting on a new stock, after about a year we'll convert the new copies to pre-owned to try and make something off of them for taking up space. It's how I got Tales of Graces f for rather cheap but totally sealed.

Something similar might have happened where you got it.

The same thing also happened with Xenoblade Chronicles, which then made people super ****ed off because somehow GameStop was now "screwing Xenoblade Chronicles fans."

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Ah, that can happen. I know at GameStop if we have a lot of new copies of game that hasn't sold well, and we're essentially sitting on a new stock, after about a year we'll convert the new copies to pre-owned to try and make something off of them for taking up space. It's how I got Tales of Graces f for rather cheap but totally sealed.

Something similar might have happened where you got it.

The same thing also happened with Xenoblade Chronicles, which then made people super ****ed off because somehow GameStop was now "screwing Xenoblade Chronicles fans."

But weren't they making the new...I mean pre-ordered copies more expensive than a new $60 game?

Plus my copy had NEW on it so it was a new game....but it was Game Mania and they run by different rules than Gamestop maybe.

Caiden

Didn't the game also come packaged with consoles, I always wonder how much that attributed to its overall sales, because it seems like both DMC3 and DmC seemed to have sold the same during their initial launches.

I don't believe it was ever bundled with a console.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
But weren't they making the new...I mean pre-ordered copies more expensive than a new $60 game?

Unfortunately yes, although that is due to used copies being in high demand, which drives the price up. The Metroid Prime Trilogy was like that too.

People were ****ed because somehow GameStop was screwing people over and cheating the system by converting them, but it's proper protocol to do so. The game had copies just sitting in drawers for over a year, and so they had to find some way to make some sort of profit off of it.

There's also another aspect to this too; GameStop footed part of the localization bill to get the game over here in America, hence why Xenoblade Chronicles was a GameStop exclusive. If copies weren't selling on their own new, they had to try and earn a profit at the store level with used sales.

Plus my copy had NEW on it so it was a new game....but it was Game Mania and they run by different rules than Gamestop maybe.

Ah, that's true. I dunno then >.<

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
tumblr_lga9c8hn3R1qd96bco1_500.gif

Rolanthas

Yeah that's probably the case. It's not the easiest genre to get into if you weren't in on its genesis two generations back.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Thought it was only PS3, but nope, Xbox got in on the action as well. So I wonder how many bundles were produced/copies were bought by both Sony and Microsoft.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/27/xbox-360-devil-may-cry-4-bundle-hitting-japan-in-january/

I've checked the sales of the PS3 from his release until the end of 2006 (http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_3) and it had sold 1,68kk, probably worldwide. In Japan it sold 88k units in the release, so lets assume they sold until the end of 2006 at least 150k and all of them were bundled with DMC4. We have 150k DMC4 units sold with the bundle. I think that even if you multiply this number to reach something like 500k to include the Xbox sales on Japan, the game still did well by itself in the rest of the world as it sold 2.7kk worldwide.

And if i remember well, back when DMC was a PS2 exclusive, DMC2 sold something very close to 2kk. And the regular version of DMC3 sold 1.2kk, the Special Edition was released a little time after this and i was never able to find how much it sold.

Caiden

Normally unless its near the
lol, I'm just curious. I just wonder if DMC series just can't seem to sell more than 1-1.5 million meaning it only gets us core gamers and never enough of the casual masses.

I always find it interesting that Capcom wanted to appeal more the western market when in reality I think it doesn't really matter what they do. I don't believe that they will be able to pull in much of a bigger market than they already have for DMC. Cause lets be honest. If you are a fan of hack and slash than you have most likely heard of DMC already. I think DMC's state of sales has more to do with the fact that more casual gamers just aren't that interested in playing hack and slash games and less about the fact that it's obviously from Japan.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I've met customers who were head over heels in love with God of War and had never heard of Devil May Cry >.< Always broke my heart, almost as much as people asking for good action games and passing up DMC for GoW :'(

Caiden

I've met customers who were head over heels in love with God of War and had never heard of Devil May Cry >.< Always broke my heart, almost as much as people asking for good action games and passing up DMC for GoW :'(

True. I think God of War is probably the exception for casual gamers in the market. To be honest I have never played any of the God of War games so I don't know their appeal.

Rolanthas

Yeah, in fact just 2 hours ago I was talking with a gamer friend, who was telling me how DmC was too reminiscent of God of War. I explained him that DMC was the first modern action title, and every action game after that took some elements from its formula. It's very surprising how rather indifferent people are to DMC, yet aware of it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
True. I think God of War is probably the exception for casual gamers in the market. To be honest I have never played any of the God of War games so I don't know their appeal.

They're easy to get into, essentially. You can mostly jam buttons and watch Kratos' swords-on-chains sweep through pretty much everything. Then there's the brutality of it. It's very mature with tearing people apart. Plus the cinematic nature owed to the QTEs makes things seem very epic.

It's fun in a very mindless sort of way :tongue: Plus if you like Greek mythology and all, it has another draw.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, in fact just 2 hours ago I was talking with a gamer friend, who was telling me how DmC was too reminiscent of God of War.

What was his reasoning for that? I'm curious what his comparison is between the two.

It's very surprising how rather indifferent people are to DMC, yet aware of it.

Oh definitely. DMC made action games what they are today, but God of War made them accessible to the layman with screen-wide attacks, QTEs, and a whole lot of base violence.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

Me, neither. I think we own all three (found it in the cheap bin at Walmart, lol). My husband has played the first two, but I just can't be bothered. At least not right now; we have far too many games that I need to catch up on, in the first place (seriously, the damn 5-10 bins are a gift and a curse, there; we wind up buying A LOT of games and movies at once).

berto

I Saw the Devil
you think thats bad? i've known players who called the original the best god of war rip off they've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom