• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kamiya wants to rock with Capcom

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Man, during development of a game, you don't simply cut stuff like that as if it's nothing.

Besides, Capcom most likely just hired him last minute saying "Here, look, just finish this so that we can launch it in time"... heh... where have I heard this story before.
It's one level. Dropping one level wouldn't made any difference. Bosses, levels and stuff getting kicked pretty regulary.
That is true but it would also make the game even shorter (which would be a blessing I suppose!) so I imagine that he wouldn't cut it just to allow the game to have a decent length... A crap excuse I know but that's my guess!
I dunno. This level was complete filler. First fight couple of harmless tanks, and than chase by helicopter that you can mostly skip :/

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think at this point its more of an invitation from kamiya to capcom and there are a few other projects like VJ that could come put of this partnership.

Putting him on DMC might bring appeal to the hardcore but I dont know if said theoretical game would make it pass 2 million sales.

Plus who really knows what he would do with DMC as he is more likely to create a whole new character story etc if he had stayed so he might do that again if he came in. Whether or not Capcom would let him go forward with that is a whole different issue.

People are scared he might chuck everything out and reboot again which could be valid but lets be fair, its not like the DMC devs ever really cared about strictly adhering to past stories with the old games so they would just give him free reign to do whatever.

after all, there is a lot of wiggle room in the franchise.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Will Devil May Cry be the same as it was with DMC1?
Nah. Kamiya was the action guy of the team but Mikami made the game reflect that RE feel the rest of the games lack.

Will there finally be a chance for Bayonetta/Devil May Cry crossover?
I'd rather never see that. Let each be their own separate animal.

looking forward to
Devil May have a Viewiful Ōkami Hand
Kamiya wasn't involved in GodHand.

However, a Bayonetta-flavored version of DMC5 would definitely be something all the fans would buy, though.
Hmm... Yes, I suppose we would. I honestly wouldn't favore a DMC game with the over flamboyance of Bayonetta. Yes, DMC4 is pretty nutty but not to the extent Bayonetta's ridiculousness goes and I'd rather get a more grounded DMC game than what DMC4 presented or what a Bayonetta style tale could offer. While I have no doubts that the game would offer a great combat system I wouldn't want DMC to continue the style of narrative it seems to be adopting more and more with the ridiculousness increasing with every title.

Let us be honest here! People are so thirsty for a DMC5 that they would buy anything.The worst part is that I'm sure if Kamiya was to make a DMC, he would reboot everything again, even DMC1.
To the first point, yes, you are right and we very much are. Right now if we heard the next DMC was a Viewtiful Joe style side scroller we'd probably cheer for it. To the second point, Kamiya has been very demanding of his productions and he held back DMC1 passed schedule on whims that ultimately made the game all the better. Still, I doubt that Capcom would just let him scrub everything away and they would probably come to an understanding before production would even start.

People need to remember Kamiya wasn't alone in DMC1 making. It was a certain team, it was produced in a certain time, under certain conditions, situation absolutely impossible of replaying now.

Hideki Kamiya (Director, Writer), Shinji Mikami (Executive Producer), Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Producer), Masami Ueda (Composer), Makoto Tsuchibayashi (Character Designer) and Noboru Sugimura (Scenario, Writer, Uncredited) are the key figures that put together what we know as DMC1. Except for Kobayashi, whose role and influence I honestly haven't seen in the game since I don't see much of his hand here based on what I know from his other works, these are the people that I consider the makers of the unique experience that is DMC1.

Kamiya (who was the action guy of the lot) and Mikami's influence are obvious when you compare DMC1 to RE's 1 & 2 and Mikami's is even more prevalent when you play the RE1 remake. Ueda's music in DMC1 is as iconic as the action it helps support. I don't really think Tsuchibayashi's character designs need me to explain their impact, do I? And Sugimura who is quite possibly the least appreciated of the staff of DMC1 along with his influence on the game since he went uncredited and most everyone forgets him altogether but when you play other games of his scenarios it's pretty obvious that they are of the same vain as DMC; games like RE Zero, Dino Crisis, and Haunting Ground all feel like the old Capcom from which DMC1 was born and if you go back and play all of those Capcom games from the turn of the century share more in common with DMC1 than either DMC4 or the works of P* do, Bayonetta included.

Even If you didn't have all of them for the most part the game might have created an experience similar to the original and with everything they've learned over the years they might've elevated the game with their combined experience. Unfortunately everyone has gone their separate ways and getting this whole band together is just not possible anymore, especially since Noboru Sugimura passed away 10 years ago. Add to that that Drew Coombs will probably never get the chance to play Dante again and I can honestly say that there will never be another game like it.

Even so, people want a DMC5, you said it yourself, people are thirsty for it, and a Kamiya DMC would never be an unwelcomed concept, especially for those of us who've been invested in the series since the beginning.

i'm sure Kamiya has more sense then that
Yeah, especially since, as I mentioned, Kamiya has expressed an interest in doing more work on Viewtiful Joe and, if I remember right, some other works from Capcom he was involved with.

Last edited:

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
That's true.

Not to mention, I don't really trust Kamiya, either.

However, a Bayonetta-flavored version of DMC5 would definitely be something all the fans would buy, though.
Except Kamiya wasn't alone in DMC1 project, which, by the way, it was born of an accident, since it was to be a RE4.
They could reunite every member of the original staff now,and we still wouldn't have a DMC1.
Even so, comparing Bayo and DMC, even recognizing Bayo's merits, it's like comparing water and wine: they taste and look different.
''Except Kamiya wasn't alone in DMC1 project, which, by the way, it was born of an accident, since it was to be a RE4.''

That's not relevant -- you're talking about the past, I'm talking about the current day and the future: Platinum Games has shown time and time again that they can make a DMC game that feels like DMC. For example: Bayonetta is very, VERY similar to DMC4, and even DMC3 by extension. Its gameplay is almost the same, for F's sake... the only big difference is that it has one or two more weapons, and the platforming is deeper than DMC4's.
My point is, Platinum Games could very easily make a DMC game that is on a par with modern DMC quality-wise, and from a thematic point of view, it would be very much like DMC as well... if not the same. Platinum Games have made several games now that felt a lot like DMC: if they replaced Bayonetta with Dante and replaced her weapons with ones Dante would use, and just created a world that was like DMC1's (creating a DMC world is frankly pretty easy to do), WE WOULD HAVE DMC.

I really don't understand why I'm being ridiculed with a ''there he is!'' when you haven't given great arguments as to why Platinum Games couldn't develop a DMC game. Nor have I seen any arguments that they couldn't make a DMC game that isn't true to the general style and feel of DMC and its characters. Kamiya is the one who made DMC, and Platinum includes some people who were responsible for DMC1 as well, as far as I know. Bayonetta plays like a DMC game, in fact I was astounded to see how similar Bayo 1 was to DMC4 gameplay-wise. Even its characters reminded me a lot of DMC, like a cross between DMC1 and DMC4. And yet you're telling me they can't make a DMC game? Can you elaborate as to why that is, please? I mean, I understand we're not getting a second DMC1, but that's not what I'm argumenting here in the first place... nobody wants another DMC1, we want DMC5. The question is if Platinum can make a good DMC game that feels like the latest installments (DMC3, DMC4). I think they can.

Aside from that, you're forgetting that Platinum might work together with Capcom (that's the news this thread revolved around in the first place!) If they will work together, then they certainly have a good idea of what makes a DMC game. Itsuno and Kamiya, Platinum and Capcom, would be a good basis for a DMC game, if they can work together amicably.

Besides, whether DMC was born of an accident or not is not relevant either -- it's not like it was ''POOF!'' and voilà, DMC1. Just because it was originally RE4 doesn't mean they didn't work hard on DMC1. It wasn't some kind of ready-made product.
If you're going to make somebody feel bad, you'd better have a good reason for it, because this is exactly the reason why so many threads get locked... because people feel the need to ridicule others and start a mini-war.

Last edited:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
That's not relevant -- you're talking about the past, I'm talking about the current day and the future: Platinum Games has shown time and time again that they can make a DMC game that feels like DMC. For example: Bayonetta is very, VERY similar to DMC4, and even DMC3 by extension. Its gameplay is almost the same, for F's sake... the only big difference is that it has one or two more weapons, and the platforming is deeper than DMC4's.
My point is, Platinum Games could very easily make a DMC game that is on a par with modern DMC quality-wise, and from a thematic point of view, it would be very much like DMC as well... if not the same. Platinum Games have made several games now that felt a lot like DMC: if they replaced Bayonetta with Dante and replaced her weapons with ones Dante would use, and just created a world that was like DMC1's (creating a DMC world is frankly pretty easy to do), WE WOULD HAVE DMC.
So, that simply means Kamiya already did his version of DMC( which is Bayonetta), so he doesn't need to do another one.
I'm not fond of his characters, because he seem to be only capable of doing "dantesque" kind of characters Bayo is made to be over the top and ridiculous( in a funny kind of way), but that is not the tone of DMC story's tone anymore.It is lighthearted without being ridiculous.The only character I really like in Bayo is Jeanne.
If I want a game similar to DMC4 or DMC3, Capcom can already deliver it, since they have their authors there: Kobayashi and Itsuno. Itsuno saved the franchise with DMC3, as an act of redemption for DMC2( which really makes him ashamed).
Bayonetta, at this point, with too much difficulty will have a third game.It's not the first time people comments if Kamiya was in charge of DMC, as much we would have one or two games, no more. Some of the worst seller games from Capcom were made by Kamiya.
He is just a guy between others in games industry.Why he is treated as a false savior god by people, I don't know!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Bayonetta, at this point, with too much difficulty will have a third game.It's not the first time people comments if Kamiya was in charge of DMC, as much we would have one or two games, no more. Some of the worst seller games from Capcom were made by Kamiya.
He is just a guy between others in games industry.Why he is treated as a false savior god by people, I don't know!
Now no offence, but all his game gain cult statuses. Okami was numerously named as one of the best games on Ps2. Viewtiful joe won numerous acollaids and still highly regarded. RE2 is still something fans beg capcom to remake and of course he is one who made Dante Dante. And as for ridiculous. I dunno. DMC3 and 4 much more absurd than DMC1. I mean:
It's not only lighthearted it's pretty over the top and absurd. So far DMC1 was darkest DMC game up to date. So his making of Bayonetta doesn't it be same with DMC...

Gel

Premium
Now no offence, but all his game gain cult statuses. Okami was numerously named as one of the best games on Ps2. Viewtiful joe won numerous acollaids and still highly regarded. RE2 is still something fans beg capcom to remake and of course he is one who made Dante Dante. And as for ridiculous. I dunno. DMC3 and 4 much more absurd than DMC1.
But it was DMC3 which brought more fans to DMC and when you talk about DMC, everybody remembers DMC3 , not DMC1.DMC1 is more cherished by older fans or the ones who met the franchising from the very beginning.
DMC3/4 are in fact more ridiculous than DMC1, but very classy compared to Bayo's tone.Let's not forget Kobayashi IS a close friend of Kamiya and worked with him and Kamiya even used DMC4 as an inspiration, which is hypocrital for him, since he insulted the game and compared DMC franchise with a slutty girl who he had loved but he would never touch again
It's not only lighthearted it's pretty over the top and absurd. So far DMC1 was darkest DMC game up to date. So his making of Bayonetta doesn't it be same with DMC...
This horror tone everybody likes was born of Mikami. Mikami had heavy hand over Kamiya.Without Mikami and his partners you wouldn't find horror or gothic in DMC1.Probably it would be a circus of silliness.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But it was DMC3 which brought more fans to DMC and when you talk about DMC, everybody remembers DMC3 , not DMC1.DMC1 is more cherished by older fans or the ones who met the franchising from the very beginning.
DMC3/4 are in fact more ridiculous than DMC1, but very classy compared to Bayo's tone.Let's not forget Kobayashi IS a close friend of Kamiya and worked with him and Kamiya even used DMC4 as an inspiration, which is hypocrital for him, since he insulted the game and compared DMC franchise with a slutty girl who he had loved but he would never touch again
If DMC1 didn't gained cult fan base and didn't sold more than million, DMC3 would never exist. DMC3 polished formula. But Kamiya made Dante and whole game what it is. It's what designer do. It's like saying that Megaman could be without Inafune or MGS without Kojima.
This horror tone everybody likes was born of Mikami. Mikami had heavy hand over Kamiya.Without Mikami and his partners you wouldn't find horror or gothic in DMC1.Probably it would be a circus of silliness.
Not really. Kamyia made horror game in the past (RE2). Mikami convinced him to make it to the separate game, yes. But it really doesn't change that Kamiya's take on dante was more serious up to date. Mikami in the meantime went to develop RE4.

Gel

Premium
If DMC1 didn't gained cult fan base and didn't sold more than million, DMC3 would never exist. DMC3 polished formula. But Kamiya made Dante and whole game what it is. It's what designer do. It's like saying that Megaman could be without Inafune or MGS without Kojima.
Maybe yes, maybe not. Anyway Kamiya just used Cobra to do Dante.They are similar in a lot of things.

Not really. Kamyia made horror game in the past (RE2). Mikami convinced him to make it to the separate game, yes. But it really doesn't change that Kamiya's take on dante was more serious up to date. Mikami in the meantime went to develop RE4.
Kamiya has changed, as much as us.Kamiya's Dante, if he was to be made today, would be very similar to DMC4 Dante, only sillier.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Kamiya's Dante, if he was to be made today, would be very similar to DMC4 Dante, only sillier.

Eh. I mean, I remember my reaction when I saw Bayonetta fingering a motorbike. Not to mention those ridiculous dances she does...

I mean, I love Bayo's character, but I wouldn't like a Dante like that. In DMC4 he was a goofball yeah, but all he did, from the Lucifer scene to the Shakespeare parody, had much more class in it.

Even though I think if Kamiya was to handle the characters, it wouldn't be Dante to get the "Bayonetta treatment" (maybe). Trish or Lady, probably.

Either way, I wouldn't like to see it in DMC. Over the topness, sure, throw it in, it's been in the franchise from the beginning, but let's not exceed (see what I did here?) it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Maybe yes, maybe not. Anyway Kamiya just used Cobra to do Dante.They are similar in a lot of things.
Nobody debates on his inspiration (than again 90% of artists work on inspirations)

Kamiya has changed, as much as us.Kamiya's Dante, if he was to be made today, would be very similar to DMC4 Dante, only sillier.
Umm or you know, maybe he just made different franchise with different character. Just because Mikami went ahead and made Shadows of the Damned doesn'T mean all his future games should be comedy. That's pretty stretched thinking that if he made one game, all of his games will be same. Especially for somebody with such diverse portfolio as Kamiya.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Umm or you know, maybe he just made different franchise with different character. Just because Mikami went ahead and made Shadows of the Damned doesn'T mean all his future games should be comedy. That's pretty stretched thinking that if he made one game, all of his games will be same. Especially for somebody with such diverse portfolio as Kamiya.

Hmmm that's true as well. Still, fear remains.

Gel

Premium
I still find him to be a poor choice for my taste.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Hmmm that's true as well. Still, fear remains.
Honestly where is guarantee Itsuno won't screw next game and won't make it stick in the mud, because he liked DmC approach? You know there is no guarantee on anyone's 100% success.

Gel

Premium
Honestly where is guarantee Itsuno won't screw next game and won't make it stick in the mud, because he liked DmC approach? You know there is no guarantee on anyone's 100% success.
Hey, who said he liked DmC approach? I never heard that. In fact I heard the opposite.

Top Bottom