• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Just what the heck is so good about Metal Gear Rising?

Martius

SSSmokin!
Kojima was only an advisor and had no real saying in the plot, in an interview he said that if he had the chance to make the game, he would've used Grey Fox as the protagonist and would've had to write the entire plot himself to make Cyborg Ninja's adventure a decent one.
Yeah. because Rising plot was still made by team from Kojima Productions which was supposed to make game on its own. From what i can remember one of them was working on Peacewalker.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't know why you'd argue that MGR's combos are counterintuitive, because they really aren't. If you don't know how to do them, open the friggin menu, and voilà, there's the entire list of combos - much like in DMC4's divinity statue menu, as well as before starting a chapter. All of them must end in Zandatsu to be viable? That's just not true. Maybe you should use combos in a different order, at different times. Also, there's no shame in dodging or deflecting enemy attacks. If you get struck down constantly, you know you're doing something wrong.

Well Why can't I just continue that? People do the DmC's Devil Trigger+Demon dodge+arbiter all the time, so I should be able to do that instant OP cut move to prove MGR is TOO easy. Why? Cause I can.

I'm not sure you should consider MGR part of the Metal Gear series, actually. The only Metal Gear games still being made are the Metal Gear Solids. Since MGR is Metal Gear RISING, it's hard to consider it part of it all. Anyway, the plot is by no means terrible; I thought it was pretty interesting, really. I think it didn't even have plotholes.

Granted I kinda skipped cut scenes and just focused on the game because...a high heeled cyborg ninja. Yeah, I could tell where this story's gonna go.

It's not hard to see why people would think it's a kind of spiritual successor to DMC. It features a platinum-haired badass who even jokes occasionally, it's full of fast, fluid action and semi-combo-thingies, and it has an anime/manga-like vibe to it, which is NOT inherently a bad thing, whiners.

So it's just a downgraded DMC game with a white haired cyborg ninja who suddenly thinks he's Dante instead of being who he was in the last games with QTEs (Something DMC fans DID NOT want in DmC or DMC for that matter) and a morgues board of even worse cliches from anime and glitchy mechanics? Uh, last time I checked, as a DMC fan, that's no where near what I want as a Devil May Cry game. In fact, that's something I would expect for a NG successor, but not a DMC sucessor

MGR is a good game. Most boss fights are usually a bit gimmicky, and the slow-mo gets boring really fast, but other than that, there's not really anything wrong with it. Platinum do corny games, alright? They do this on purpose. They basically created DMC1, too. Go figure.

MGR is okay, but not totally great. It still has its flaws, its story is a 6/10 from the cutscenes I bothered to watch, and its gameplay got repetitive quick for me, but it was still an okay game. However, from platinum games, I expected better, because if these guys are the ones that made bayonetta, then I expected better. But that was my fault for letting the hype get the better of me.
A lot of people just want to whine about MGR because it's not to their liking, and they see the resemblance to DMC4. Fine. Go play wubwub games and leave this alone. Why can't it just be a good game? Opinions don't count as facts. Anyway, I'm done here.

So now you're repeating everything a DmC fan would say but with MGR?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Why, yes. I believe he is. Remember, they can defend their game, but we can't defend ours.

What's that called again? "Double-standards"? "Hypocrisy"? I know it has something to do with the expression, "do as I say, but not as I do."

DragonMaster2010

Why, yes. I believe he is. Remember, they can defend their game, but we can't defend ours.

What's that called again? "Double-standards"? "Hypocrisy"? I know it has something to do with the expression, "do as I say, but not as I do."

I just thought it was called favoritism.

I mean its not like DmC was the worst Devil May Cry game ever created. Granted the sales were only down because of the Hack n Slash genre going out of style, fans not buying the game, and some not hearing about it.

I mean if you're honestly gonna tell me that this
was worse then this;

nostalgia-critic-meth.gif

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
So now you're repeating everything a DmC fan would say but with MGR? I'm guessing you mean DMC, not DmC.

Well Why can't I just continue that? People do the DmC's Devil Trigger+Demon dodge+arbiter all the time, so I should be able to do that instant OP cut move to prove MGR is TOO easy. Why? Cause I can.

You can't just cut your way through the game, especially on the higher difficulties. It gets harder than DmC once you play it on a high difficulty. It becomes more about parrying, perfect timing, good judgement, you name it.

I'm not sure you should consider MGR part of the Metal Gear series, actually. The only Metal Gear games still being made are the Metal Gear Solids. Since MGR is Metal Gear RISING, it's hard to consider it part of it all. Anyway, the plot is by no means terrible; I thought it was pretty interesting, really. I think it didn't even have plotholes.

Granted I kinda skipped cut scenes and just focused on the game because...a high heeled cyborg ninja. Yeah, I could tell where this story's gonna go.

Ahem... MGS4? Even more high-heeled than in MGR :p

It's not hard to see why people would think it's a kind of spiritual successor to DMC. It features a platinum-haired badass who even jokes occasionally, it's full of fast, fluid action and semi-combo-thingies, and it has an anime/manga-like vibe to it, which is NOT inherently a bad thing, whiners.

So it's just a downgraded DMC game with a white haired cyborg ninja who suddenly thinks he's Dante instead of being who he was in the last games with QTEs (Something DMC fans DID NOT want in DmC or DMC for that matter) and a morgues board of even worse cliches from anime and glitchy mechanics? Uh, last time I checked, as a DMC fan, that's no where near what I want as a Devil May Cry game. In fact, that's something I would expect for a NG successor, but not a DMC sucessor

No, that's not it at all. Have you even played the game? I'm saying there's similarities to DMC. That doesn't suddenly make Raiden Dante. As for Raiden being funny and badass like Dante, well, he was funny in MGS2 sometimes, too, and he was a badass in MGS4. But you'll just ignore that, no doubt. As usual, this is starting to spiral into 'DmC vs DMC', only this time it's DmC VS MGR. Also, I think you mean 'smörgåsbord', not morgues board. Glitchy mechanics? Wow, it must be a miracle I didn't experience ANY glitches, then. Could you please elaborate? What glitches do you mean? Clichés are fine, I don't have a problem with them, but you obviously do. That doesn't make this a bad game - it just makes it one you should avoid. It's a hack and slash game, for crying out loud, and it's made by the people who created DMC1. Give me a break, and judge this game for what it is, instead of what you think it is or should be. It's not a Metal Gear Solid game, and it's not a Devil May Cry game, however much you may want it to be one. ''last time I checked, as a DMC fan, that's no where near what I want as a Devil May Cry game''.
That's good, because it's not a Devil May Cry game. If you want it to be one, how can I be expected to talk to you about its flaws and merits?

MGR is a good game. Most boss fights are usually a bit gimmicky, and the slow-mo gets boring really fast, but other than that, there's not really anything wrong with it. Platinum do corny games, alright? They do this on purpose. They basically created DMC1, too. Go figure.

MGR is okay, but not totally great. It still has its flaws, its story is a 6/10 from the cutscenes I bothered to watch, and its gameplay got repetitive quick for me, but it was still an okay game. However, from platinum games, I expected better, because if these guys are the ones that made bayonetta, then I expected better. But that was my fault for letting the hype get the better of me.

Cut them some slack. They created it on a tight schedule. Like Kojima said, they did an outstanding job when you consider that. Kojima wants to play a bigger role in the sequel. He said he might make it about Gray Fox. To be honest, I don't consider the MGS plots to be masterpieces. Many people really go berserk when I say that, but I don't like games that try so hard to be interesting. Most MGS games get a bit confusing, stray off track, or just become tiresome because of all the misdirection and stuff you don't need to know. But yeah, MGR's plot would be a 6.5/10, I'd say.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Ok, so DmC is 'your game' and MGR is 'our game', now? Yeah, that doesn't sound antagonistic in the least :p
Why does everything have to be a competition to you? We didn't even say anything about not wanting to see MGR's flaws. We do see them. But there's also a difference between factual flaws and people's opinions. So far, there's been a lot of 'MGR is anime-like. It's cliché at times! Oh no, the occasional QTE!' Meanwhile, it's got nice gameplay, a decent plot, and yeah, characters. I'd suggest coming up with more legitimate concerns than this shallow nitpicking.
MGR is not MGS. MGR is not DMC. It's not trying to be. MGR is not DmC either. It's a hack and slash game, and a good one at that. The plot is only decent, yeah. That's the only criticism I've seen so far, really. The rest was just people attacking others for liking something they don't.

DragonMaster2010

I'm guessing you mean DMC, not DmC

More so both.
You can't just cut your way through the game, especially on the higher difficulties. It gets harder than DmC once you play it on a high difficulty. It becomes more about parrying, perfect timing, good judgement, you name it.

And yet, I've been doing it any chance I get to be OP.

Ahem... MGS4? Even more high-heeled than in MGR :p

Thus why I didn't play MGS4, granted I'll give it a shot.

No, that's not it at all. Have you even played the game? I'm saying there's similarities to DMC. That doesn't suddenly make Raiden Dante. As for Raiden being funny and badass like Dante, well, he was funny in MGS2 sometimes, too, and he was a badass in MGS4. But you'll just ignore that, no doubt.

No. I didn't know that because I've yet to play any of the MGS games, but honestly, if Kamiya wanted to make a Dante character, he should've just stuck with Bayonetta, not throw his Dante into Raiden like no one would notice.

As usual, this is starting to spiral into 'DmC vs DMC', only this time it's DmC VS MGR.

Says the person pushing it into that direction.

Glitchy mechanics? Wow, it must be a miracle I didn't experience ANY glitches, then. Could you please elaborate? What glitches do you mean?
Most to do with cutting mechanics losing frames, the bosses suddenly freezing, the Ai being dumb, and the occasional T-stance. Granted, that's probably my version of the game though.

Clichés are fine, I don't have a problem with them, but you obviously do. That doesn't make this a bad game - it just makes it one you should avoid.

Yes, but I wanted to at least give it a fair shot to prove itself to be a good game, and all I got was one cliche after another from the Russian dude trying so hard to be Russian, to the annoying speeches they constantly give that I'd easily hear from any other anime over and over again. But then I remember this is a Kamiya game and I should've seen this coming. I don't mind anime cliches either if done right, but I also don't like anime cliches pushed into every direction and made to be something of a mess.

It's a hack and slash game, for crying out loud, and it's made by the people who created DMC1.

Yeah, that's the sad part about it. They couldn't even get back into a little bit of the DMC1 feel for MGR. But I'm not surprised since they already are making anime cliche fest after anime cliche fest.

Give me a break, and judge this game for what it is, instead of what you think it is or should be.

I did. A Bayonetta wanna be with people believing its the messiah of a DMC successor. I'm not saying it was completely bad, it had its goods and was an okay game. I just was expecting better and raised my expectations too high.

It's not a Metal Gear Solid game, and it's not a Devil May Cry game, however much you may want it to be one. ''last time I checked, as a DMC fan, that's no where near what I want as a Devil May Cry game''.
That's good, because it's not a Devil May Cry game. If you want it to be one, how can I be expected to talk to you about its flaws and merits?

I never said it was a DMC game, I said people believe it to be a DMC game and I was showing why that's a load of bull.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I never said it was a DMC game, I said people believe it to be a DMC game and I was showing why that's a load of bull.

No offense, but what you wrote in your reply to me seems a bit contradictory at times. First you say you dislike that Raiden is a bit Dante-like, you feel it's sad that it resembles DMC (like many people say), then you say you think it's too bad they couldn't make MGR more like DMC1. Maybe I just misinterpreted this, though.
That having been said, I feel Raiden is still pretty similar to what he was like before. I guess Platinum had a hand in some of his lines, but I thought it was a nice compromise between Kojima Productions and Platinum Games.

I haven't seen enemies freeze or act moronic, but then, I was playing the Xbox 360 version after it got an update, so maybe there's differences between the various versions. And I don't know, I've been trying to get through the game by slashing a lot, on a high difficulty, but I don't think that works. Try it on Sam, and you'll shave off about two tenths of a percent of life in five seconds. Doesn't really work. How much HP did he have, anyway? Like 150%? He'll r a p e you before long.

I just feel a lot of the so-called criticism toward MGR is just another way for people to lash out at the people who don't play, or even hate, DmC. Different people like different things, and out of these two/three games, not one is bad. Taste is a wholly different matter.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Granted the sales were only down because of the Hack n Slash genre going out of style, fans not buying the game, and some not hearing about it.
Don't forget the act of threatening physical violence upon other gamers for buying it and "recommending" (aggressively, no doubt) for other store patrons to avoid it, entirely.

But hey, those bast@rds deserved to get beaten down after buying a ****ty game like DmC, amirite? *sarcasm*

Also, you know what? Despite all that, despite all the threats and the recommendations against DmC, the game still made a profit and it still went platinum. They just can't face the fact that it still has a chance for a sequel, so they're going to bitch and moan about it until they get their way and Capcom abandons the reboot entirely.

And I'm not even against it. I'm just pointing out how badly the pure-bloods have been behaving because of this whole thing.
I'm not "in a competition". I don't have a problem with DMC5. I just have a problem with the way the fans are acting out and making it difficult for the rest of us.

So yeah. I actually want a DMC5, if only to stop the all the incessant complaining all around us.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
And so what? It's can be a problem only for MGS fans. Like DmC for DMC fans.

...I don't even...like...really?

"It's their problem" you just proved my entire point! you don't care about the quality of the game's plot/design as long as it has fast combos...Then why do you people criticize DmC for "alienating/betraying fans" with their design choices?

You don't care they ruined Raiden's entire personality...but you DO care for Dante's?

Hipocrisy at it's finest

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I would have told EnJ here not to start (yet another) fight with a pro-DmC member, but I doubt he would have listened, either way.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Please stop the passive-aggressive hatemongering. Yeah, DmC is a fine game. Nobody here is saying it's not. Maybe in a past thread, but not here. We all like different things, and to go hate on something on an unrelated page, only to reply later by saying ''aw my gawd, we can't criticize 'YOUR' game, but you can criticize 'OURS', well, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. This is something you have to work out with yourself. Straighten out your mind. Being threatened by other gamers... well, boo-hoo. This can't possibly have happened before, right? -_- I feel for those people, but they should also learn to stand up for themselves.
This is exactly the type of response I was afraid of. Some people who played the DMCs started playing MGR too. WOW, imagine that. And here we go; hate is a two-way street: ''looks like people who like DMC play MGR, too. You're so wrong for playing a remotely DMC-like H&S that's not DmC''.

No offense, but this game is not '****ty'. The people who play it are not 'b@stards'. I haven't seen many legitimate factual issues people have with MGR. The plot is nothing special? Alright, that's true. The characters are corny and hackneyed, sure. That still doesn't make this a bad game. ''Oh, look! It's a guy with long white hair. Hah! Gaaay!'' ''Oh no, Raiden said 'adios, amigos'! What a terrible game!'' Yeah, it's got fine anime-like graphics, but that can't possibly be a positive thing, right? Or just neutral? Nope... not in the world of Flatulent Mcgee. A few glitches? Oh, surely that means the game sucks. :/ Again, this response seems very emotional. I, for one, cannot have a debate with someone who gets too caught up in their own problems.

This isn't even related to MGR. Where the heck did this DmC vs DMC bull come from? I want a DMC5 so that people can stop complaining? Alright, but you're in the wrong thread, sorry to say. Before this post, I wasn't complaining, except maybe about some falsehoods and opinions being represented as game-breaking negative points. I am now complaining about this, because I don't want this thread to be all about people complaining about how offended they are about other people being offended. The question is ''just what the heck is so good about Metal Gear Rising?'' Would be nice if we stuck to that, and actually brought arguments to the table, not an argument.

I apologize if I come across as annoyed, but that's just because... I am. It's annoying to see people look for two or three DmC-related sentences in a half-page comment... in a thread about MGR >_< Blocking mode engaged.

DragonMaster2010

No offense, but what you wrote in your reply to me seems a bit contradictory at times. First you say you dislike that Raiden is a bit Dante-like, you feel it's sad that it resembles DMC (like many people say), then you say you think it's too bad they couldn't make MGR more like DMC1. Maybe I just misinterpreted this, though.

By that I mean is that if they really were trying to make him like DMC1, then they did a crappy job, and that I didn't want him to be like Dante at all.

I haven't seen enemies freeze or act moronic, but then, I was playing the Xbox 360 version after it got an update, so maybe there's differences between the various versions. And I don't know, I've been trying to get through the game by slashing a lot, on a high difficulty, but I don't think that works. Try it on Sam, and you'll shave off about two tenths of a percent of life in five seconds. Doesn't really work. How much HP did he have, anyway? Like 150%? He'll r a p e you before long.

And yet, all I needed was the super cutting attack to beat him.

I just feel a lot of the so-called criticism toward MGR is just another way for people to lash out at the people who don't play, or even hate, DmC. Different people like different things, and out of these two/three games, not one is bad. Taste is a wholly different matter.

I'm not lashing out, but just saying MGR was okay, and not the messiah DMC that people keep pushing down my throat when I went to get my copy of DmC.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'm not lashing out, but just saying MGR was okay, and not the messiah DMC that people keep pushing down my throat when I went to get my copy of DmC.

Ah, alright then. Didn't know so many people are such dicks so openly to you.
And I get that you could probably beat Sam that way, but then, that's not how you should play the game. It could take forever, and it takes no skill. I could probably find an exploit like that in DMC4, too (if the constant aerial rave attack wasn't boring enough).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I was being sarcastic when I said how "DmC fans should get beaten down for buying a ****ty game." I was making fun of the mindset of some of the more extreme purists who were against the game.

And you're right. People should stand up for themselves if they're being threatened and criticized for playing DmC. If this had been real life, I definitely would have reciprocated in kind.

That's just what we're doing here. Defending ourselves.

Could someone please lock this thread? It's run its course, in my honest opinion.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
...I don't even...like...really?

"It's their problem" you just proved my entire point! you don't care about the quality of the game's plot/design as long as it has fast combos...Then why do you people criticize DmC for "alienating/betraying fans" with their design choices?

You don't care they ruined Raiden's entire personality...but you DO care for Dante's?

Hipocrisy at it's finest

I think it goes a bit deeper than that. I mean that ''Raiden's 'entire' personality was ruined'' (I didn't know a partial personality could exist). Anyway, was Raiden's personality ruined? Maybe if you're very puritanical about him, and consider spin-off games to hold as much weight as games of the main series. I see MGR as a game on the side; it doesn't ruin MGS, because MGS will always be there. MGS has not been replaced by MGR like DMC has been by DmC. MGR doesn't build upon MGS directly, and it wasn't made by all the same people who made the MGS games. I like the MGS games, but do I feel terrible about MGR? No, Platinum can do whatever they like, for all I care.
Oh, and we're moaning about how Raiden was ruined? The character supposedly nobody liked? Does anybody suddenly like him, or is this just a way to deprecate MGR, or Platinum for altering the character a bit to suit the game?

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
I think it goes a bit deeper than that. I mean that ''Raiden's 'entire' personality was ruined'' (I didn't know a partial personality could exist). Anyway, was Raiden's personality ruined? Maybe if you're very puritanical about him, and consider spin-off games to hold as much weight as games of the main series. I see MGR as a game on the side; it doesn't ruin MGS, because MGS will always be there. MGS has not been replaced by MGR like DMC has been by DmC. MGR doesn't build upon MGS directly, and it wasn't made by all the same people who made the MGS games. I like the MGS games, but do I feel terrible about MGR? No, Platinum can do whatever they like, for all I care.
Oh, and we're moaning about how Raiden was ruined? The character supposedly nobody liked? Does anybody suddenly like him, or is this just a way to deprecate MGR, or Platinum for altering the character a bit to suit the game?
I like him quite a bit, just like I like Nero.(Look at my sig...I kinda like hated characters)

And sadly MGR is canon to the franchise...

Imagine DmC being OG Dante's origin...and that's how I feel, it just feels wrong.

MGR woud've been a cool reboot to Raiden's character...but it being canon just feels off

Top Bottom