• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Itsuno isn't working on Dragon Dogma Online (announced today)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Y'know, the sad news of this having no occidental release doesn't really deter me all that much. It's F2P, and I'll just download it on my JP PSN account, might have to play it on the PS3 since that has an easier time with Japanese stuff than the PS4 does, but I'll definitely still be playing this.

Hell, I played the Japanese version of Dissidia, and that game had some incomprehensible elements to its shops and menu systems, and I came out just fine. If DDO truly is just like the original game (as they are saying) then I doubt I'll have much of a problem.

If there really is no release for us, I'll show people how to snag the JP version if they need some help, so we can all play. Maybe doing so can show Capcom that there is interest for the game here. Although it doesn't help that Dragon's Dogma originally released in the wake of Skyrim, which had far too many westerners on its genitals for like two years, despite its vast amount of problems and the overall blandness of it.

------

On a similar subject, anyone else beginning to think that developers should really stop making regional exclusives to franchises that have established western releases...? The next biggest thing I can think of was the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes which drew Square a lot of ire from fans when they learned about it, and those we back in the earlier days of the 'net where it was somewhat easy to miss. Nowadays, the entire world is connected by the internet - it is damn near impossible to release something like DDO (which has an established western fanbase) and not expect people to be upset about being left out of the party.

It's like when Square was releasing Dissidia 012 and we had all found out about Tifa's inclusion, but they kept playing ignorant to the entire thing, as if we had no information that they hadn't given us. WE HAVE OUR WAYS, and WE HAVE THE GODDAMN INTERNET! Just please stop with that garbage >.<

It's especially confusing when many other devs within the same company (any company, not just Capcom) listen and understand the fanbase. Obviously they're seeing this stuff!

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Hell, I played the Japanese version of Dissidia, and that game had some incomprehensible elements to its shops and menu systems, and I came out just fine. If DDO truly is just like the original game (as they are saying) then I doubt I'll have much of a problem.
It shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. Monster Hunter Frontier G and Dragon Quest X have been Japanese exclusive MMO's for almost three years, and that hasn't stopped fans from importing the games and bypassing region-locked servers.

If they can d0 it, we probably can. But, yeah---I think you'd have better luck with the PS3 than the PS4.

On a similar subject, anyone else beginning to think that developers should really stop making regional exclusives to franchises that have established western releases...? The next biggest thing I can think of was the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes which drew Square a lot of ire from fans when they learned about it, and those we back in the earlier days of the 'net where it was somewhat easy to miss. Nowadays, the entire world is connected by the internet - it is damn near impossible to release something like DDO (which has an established western fanbase) and not expect people to be upset about being left out of the party.
Capcom's been doing that for years. Namco X Capcom was never released overseas, even though ALL OF THE CHARACTERS were instantly recognizable over here...oh, but Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, a game featuring animated characters that Americans have and never will see on North American televison? Go ahead and localize that. :shifty:

I've often blasted Nintendo for not releasing over half of their Fire Emblem games, especially now, since Awakening was one of the 3DS's best-selling games, but at the very least, I could understand the motive not to. They've at least been releasing practically every game in the series overseas since Fire Emblem on GBA, and keeping only ONE obscure exclusive in the last seven years. They've been consistant, and they've stopped treating it like some kind of "Japanese-only" relic.

But Capcom? They released the first entry in the Basara series over here, and then kept both the second entry and every spin-off and sequel that wasn't 3 exclusive to Japan. And then they act surprised when the 3rd game doesn't sell well, even though they're 100% aware that they haven't localized a single game since the first one. And based on that numb-skulled logic, they're keeping 3's special edition, the 4th entry, and the 4th entry's special edition exclusive to the Japanese market. Gee, thanks for absolutely nothing, Capcom.

It's especially confusing when many other devs within the same company (any company, not just Capcom) listen and understand the fanbase. Obviously they're seeing this stuff!
That's because they spend more time communicating with fans than the top executive suits or the greedy shareholders. One of the big reasons Itsuno wants to make Dragon's Dogma 2 and DMC5 is because of the massive demand online. Even Kobayashi, for all of his faults, took note of RE6's reception and complaints, and admitted that he had tried to cram to many incompatible ideas into one game.

But the people over at Square Enix? Everyone---from lowly developer to high executuve straight off the board table---will almost NEVER admit they're wrong, or even the slightest bit incompetent with the way the game was handled. Oh, you wanted FF7 HD? Too bad...not enough "fan support." Oh, you thought Lightning Returns sucked twelve lama turds simultaneously? Well, "we were expecting complaints from people who just don't know to appreciate properly-implemented game mechanics." Oh, you think Tetsuya Nomura's higher than the Teme-ni-gru because his love of Les Miserables almost made him turn FFXV into an honest-to-God MUSICAL? Guess you just don't "understand his vision."

I'm not even kidding about half of this...look it up. These people have climbed so far up into their own egos, that they literally believe they can do no wrong...except, you know, that little fiasco with FFXIV...they actually had to apologize for that.

WolfOD64

Have you ever seen this? He perfectly sums up DMC 4. I think you'd get a kick outta it too.
Not gonna lie, his description of Dante and Nero seem pretty spot on...as well as that absolutely egregious timed jumping puzzle in Fortuna Castle with the pit of enemies waiting for you below every time you screw up.

I absolutely hated that part...but not nearly so much as the concept, execution, and repeated appearance of the dice puzzle.

pepodmc

You lost me at "Kobayashi." And yes, I do hate him with all my might. I will never forgive him for not letting Vergil be a part of the story (besides overly vague references) in DMC4.

Well, DMC4 SE will change that (perhaps)

WolfOD64

Vergil's addition doesn't make it special either.
It apparently warrants enough hype to make people dismiss the fact that literally no other information about the game has been released so far.

In comparison to the sheer truckload of info we got about DmC: DE from the get-go, DMC4: Special Edition couldn't be more vague or wrapped in a veil of mystery than the release date for Final Fantasy XV (a game that is practically vaporware given how long its development is taking).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yeah, the whole "Mystery Box" guessing game has gotten old ever since J.J. Abrams did it with Star Trek 2.

Back on-topic: One of the things going against DmCDE in my humble opinion is that they didn't add any more kicking moves in.

Yup. I'm shallow. I realize this completely.

If Vergil had had Force Edge like he was supposed to in Downfall, then his other weapon could've potentially have been a staff... something akin to Dante's Osiris.

pepodmc

Vergil's addition doesn't make it special either.

Depends if he has a new campaign or not. Or if DMC4 SE is a prologue of DMC5, withsome kind of teaser or new cliffhanger.

Anyway, a new playable character is a great thing (more in a game with such a depth battle system like Devil May Cry)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Final Fantasy XV (a game that is practically vaporware given how long its development is taking).

Fun fact: XV (or versusXIII, if you will) didn't start development until after XIII-2 was finished. Sure it was planned and announced back in 2006, but it wasn't in development that whole time. Hell, also take into account the change from Crystal Tools to the new proprietary engine Square is using to make multi-plat development easier, and a change in platform itself, it's pretty much right in line with the dev time for a game of its calibur :p

Oh, and FFVII "HD" wasn't done because of a "lack of fan support," it was literally them saying that they wanted people to care about the projects they were working on now, instead of something from nearly twenty years ago. They know it would sell well, and that it would be crazy popular and all that, but that's not what they want to do. They'll remake VII when people stop living in the past - so...pretty much never, given the FF fanbase :p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Depends if he has a new campaign or not. Or if DMC4 SE is a prologue of DMC5, withsome kind of teaser or new cliffhanger.

Anyway, a new playable character is a great thing (more in a game with such a depth battle system like Devil May Cry)
Don't get your hopes up too high, then you won't be so disappointed if it inevitably lets you down.

Top Bottom