• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Itsuno isn't working on Dragon Dogma Online (announced today)

The Final Offer

The words "Capcom" and "free" almost seem ludicrous to place in the same sentence.

What is getting scary to me is the terms and conditions that make transactions necessary. Everyone seems to think free 2 play means every step they take will cost them something.

They create models and areas for those that want to continue exploring or enjoy gaining weapons and items. People with next gen consoles should have a free 2 play game. DC universe and Warframe are free 2 play and nothing stops me from being a BA in either one. I've earned weapons that are offered in Warframe's shop by simply gathering the materials to create this Glaive.

So take the base game and for all the bells and whistles you gotta pay. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the base game. You'll just be seeing alot of things that you want to buy in the shop. That's your choice to continue or not. Anyone saying anything otherwise is just bandwagon feces.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
They can keep Dragon's Dogma if Itsuno isn't involved. It was his project to begin with---it was project he had dreamed of making since childhood. Without him, and with only everyone's "favorite" Capcom leader, Hiroyuki Kobayashi, heralding the project, I'm almost 99% the game won't even partially resemble what Itsuno had in mind for a proper sequel.
Looks like Capcom looked into weeaboo remarks and added another franchise to the list of "to japanese for western gamers"
Wait, why would Capcom select Dragon's Dogma of all games to be a Japanese exclusive based on complaints of "weaboo" elements? Wasn't its premise, atmosphere, setting, and gameplay a direct byproduct of Western influences?

If anything, Capcom should make Devil May Cry a Japanese exclusive, at least as far as "weaboo" complaints are concerned. The series is far more of a "weaboo power fantasy" than Dragon's Dogma ever was.

HandsomePeanut

Satan Claus
A bit off-topic, but why does everyone hate Kobayashi?

On-topic: I think this is a good sign. Since Itsuno is more or less the man of Devil May Cry now a days, it would make sense that him not working on DDO would mean he's working on something DMC related.

(Disclaimer: I don't know much about Dragon's Dogma, let alone played it) I also don't think that it means the death of Dragon's Dogma. Itsuno might just not be interest in doing a f2p game and that's why he's not working on it. He might return if they do a proper sequel though.

WolfOD64

A bit off-topic, but why does everyone hate Kobayashi?
I don't hate Kobayashi...hate's, meh, too strong of a word. It's just...he's kind of prone to making three bad decisions for every good one he makes. On one hand, he's partially responsible for games like Resident Evil 4, and was the full force behind the Sengoku Basara series....but he also had a lot of creative freedom on games like DMC4 and Resident Evil 6. For DMC4, he put a lot, and I mean a lot of time and emphasis on the cutscenes, and spent a number of developer interviews highlighting on how the story was filled with "dynamic plot scenarios and impactful character arcs", and claimed that it was so good, all of the cutscenes could've been compiled onto a DVD, and it would've passed off as a top-notch Hollywood film. Unfortunately, Kobayashi put so much effort into the cutscenes, it's been often speculated that he might've poured too much of the game's budget and development time into them...which would explain the half-finished story, rehashed levels, and seemingly incomplete gameplay experience. It wasn't a bad game, but the execution was lukewarm at best.

As for Resident Evil 6, well...I'm not claiming to be a hardcore RE fan by a mile, and even I knew that game was a bubbling cauldron of incompetently-executed ideas. Even if you like the more action-oriented turn the series has taken---which I have no real issue with, but that speaks more about my frothing love of zombie rail-shooters like House of the Dead, so I'm willing to admit that I'm probably not the right person to ask about what qualifies as a good or bad Resident Evil game---most of the game's scenarios were implemented poorly. The cover-based shooting was a mess, the quick-time events were bipolar and completely random, and the estranging emphasis on three campaigns with their own style of gameplay, resulted in the game feeling like it had been drawn and quartered by multiple ideas in every possible direction. And all that effort for a game that, in all honesty, feels half as complete and polished as the previous two games that came before it.

In other words, Hiroyuki Kobayashi is kind of like the Obsidian Games of Capcom. He has a lot of good ideas, but he doesn't always execute them perfectly.

(Disclaimer: I don't know much about Dragon's Dogma, let alone played it) I also don't think that it means the death of Dragon's Dogma. Itsuno might just not be interest in doing a f2p game and that's why he's not working on it. He might return if they do a proper sequel though.
I hope you're right. I would really like Itsuno to come back and do a proper Dragon's Dogma 2, one that polishes all of the faults of the past game to create a worthy sequel...preferably with a more immersive story this time around.

If you haven't played the game, I'd give it a shot---its combat took a lot of influence from games like Devil May Cry and Onimusha. But if you do, make sure to get the Dark Arisen version of the game. It fixes a lot of the bugs and issues of the original, and adds a lot of extra content.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Wait, why would Capcom select Dragon's Dogma of all games to be a Japanese exclusive based on complaints of "weaboo" elements? Wasn't its premise, atmosphere, setting, and gameplay a direct byproduct of Western influences?

If anything, Capcom should make Devil May Cry a Japanese exclusive, at least as far as "weaboo" complaints are concerned. The series is far more of a "weaboo power fantasy" than Dragon's Dogma ever was.
If you put DD against any western RPG you see, how japanese in core it is. It's more byproduct western-inspired manga like Berserk. Well, perfectly expected result after so many people running their mouth about anime "crap".
I don't hate Kobayashi...hate's, meh, too strong of a word. It's just...he's kind of prone to making three bad decisions for every good one he makes. On one hand, he's partially responsible for games like Resident Evil 4, and was the full force behind the Sengoku Basara series...
Well first, SB is awesome, and second RE4 is result of Shinji mikami's decision.

WolfOD64

If you put DD against any western RPG you see, how japanese in core it is. It's more byproduct western-inspired manga like Berserk. Well, perfectly expected result after so many people running their mouth about anime "crap".
Hmm...I don't know if I'd compare Dragon's Dogma to Berserk, but that's mainly from a story perspective---after all, Berserk takes influences from Shakespeare and Arthurian lore, while Dragon's Dogma tends to ride on a number of generally-cliche fantasy tropes. They do have a similar feel, though...mostly in the way the battles play out. That is something that's almost alien in Western RPG's...but I'm not sure that would be incentive for people to complain, much less Capcom make it exclusive.

Still, I don't think either have anything overtly "Japanese" about them, outside of the way the fight scenes are....and Berserk certainly keeps itself devoid of many "anime crap" archetypes and tropes, and to an extent, Dragon's Dogma does as well.

Devil May Cry, on the other hand... :shifty:

Well first, SB is awesome, and second RE4 is result of Shinji mikami's decision.
Exactly. That's why I said "On one hand". While he had a partial role in RE4's conception, Kobayashi's produced some good things by himself---and Sengoku Basara is one of them. In fact, as much as I like Tecmo Koei's games, I vastly prefer the Basara games for my Musou fix. The combat just feels more satisfying, and the characters are all quirky and extremely self-aware in the way they're written.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, besides Dragon Dogma launch in 2012, and Dark Arizen was directed by Kento Kinoshita (New director of Dragon Dogma Online).

So from Dragon Dogma's launch, 3 years past. And in that 3 years, Itsuno must be doing something. So yeah, it's great news for DMC fans.

Remember that for a portion of that time Itsuno was working with Ninja Theory on DmC, and he even talked about using what they've learned in Dragon's Dogma on DmC.

Hmm...I don't know if I'd compare Dragon's Dogma to Berserk, but that's mainly from a story perspective---after all, Berserk takes influences from Shakespeare and Arthurian lore, while Dragon's Dogma tends to ride on a number of generally-cliche fantasy tropes. They do have a similar feel, though...mostly in the way the battles play out. That is something that's almost alien in Western RPG's...but I'm not sure that would be incentive for people to complain, much less Capcom make it exclusive.

Still, I don't think either have anything overtly "Japanese" about them, outside of the way the fight scenes are....and Berserk certainly keeps itself devoid of many "anime crap" archetypes and tropes, and to an extent, Dragon's Dogma does as well.

Let's not forget the actual partnership Dragon's Dogma had with Berserk to promote the Golden Age trilogy :p You could get both Guts' and Griffith's Band of the Hawk armor!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Also, anyone remember "Deep Down"? It was supposed to be a next-gen title where you play as people living in like a post-apocalyptic New York and you go into some sort of dungeon deep below the city with other players to uncover what happened or something like that.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

Devil May Cry, on the other hand... :shifty:.
Dragon's Dogma has at least one inspired by Berserk character, though I'd say 2 of them (Mercedes and King) and one directly inspired place (witch's house). All in all, DD is world populated by weird characters with story more akin to JRPG (with this whole end level and all) than to western one. Western RPGs defined by grounded stories, while DD was anything but grounded. It's more related to games like Dark Souls than to games like Dragon Age. So it's about as western as first DMC was

Exactly. That's why I said "On one hand". While he had a partial role in RE4's conception, Kobayashi's produced some good things by himself---and Sengoku Basara is one of them. In fact, as much as I like Tecmo Koei's games, I vastly prefer the Basara games for my Musou fix. The combat just feels more satisfying, and the characters are all quirky and extremely self-aware in the way they're written.
I wouldn't give kobayashi credit for RE4, but his work on SB was really good, and to bad people flapping their mouthes and whining about "filthy weeaboos" ensured Capcom Europe prevented any subsequent title for ever appearing overseas :shifty:

WolfOD64

Dragon's Dogma has at least one inspired by Berserk character, though I'd say 2 of them (Mercedes and King) and one directly inspired place (witch's house). All in all, DD is world populated by weird characters with story more akin to JRPG (with this whole end level and all) than to western one.
A game paying tribute to something else doesn't automatically make it similar. Don't get me wrong, I like Dragon's Dogma, but its story and themes have nowhere near the depth, complexity, symbolism or development that Berserk has in just a few pages (or panels). And .having a game world inhabited by strange and bewildering folk is not exclusive to JRPG's by a longshot. Plenty of games, from sandbox games, to platformers, and yes...Western RPG's find themselves playing host to a number of bizarre characters.

And it's not like Dragon's Dogma's characters were fascinating or anything. Most of them boiled down to one-note caricatures occupying Gran Soren or other hubs, providing a few lines of meaningless dialogue correlating to "the news of the Dragon" or "rumors of the Salvation Organization", with no honest or defining personality, save the occasional character like Madeline or someone.

Western RPGs defined by grounded stories, while DD was anything but grounded.
Okay, well...in complete honesty, that's not a trademark of JRPG's so much as Capcom's inability to tell a story competently. I've played JRPG's with fairly-grounded and uncomplicated plots, some of them being fairly simplistic yet very expansive in scope (the Tales series and Breath of Fire games come to mind), and not all JRPG's have to tell needlessly-overblown Square Enix-style plots as a code of law. Modern-day Capcom games just seem to be written by a host of narratively-impaired chimps, so expecting a straight-forward or even complicated story from them is like expecting a quiet episode of Hell's Kitchen.

I wouldn't give kobayashi credit for RE4, but his work on SB was really good, and to bad people flapping their mouthes and whining about "filthy weeaboos" ensured Capcom Europe prevented any subsequent title for ever appearing overseas :shifty:
Well, it might also have to do with the fact that only two Basara games have been released stateside, and neither have sold particularly well. I mean, Basara 3's sales were wedged somewhere beneath the Earth's mantle.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the complaints of the "filthy baka-gaijin"....especially considering how stupidly popular a game like Catherine was over here...although, one look at the cover, and you'll probably see viable reasons to why that is. :meh:

Let's not forget the actual partnership Dragon's Dogma had with Berserk to promote the Golden Age trilogy :p You could get both Guts' and Griffith's Band of the Hawk armor!
I was actually avoiding mentioning that in an attempt to point out less obvious things, but yeah...those armor sets are in there, and they're awesome.

I was really disappointed they didn't have Guts' Black Swordsman Armor, or his Dragonslayer sword. It's like his Rebellion, it's beyond iconic...and it's the reason we have the giant sword trope in anime---how did it not make it in the game?!

I dunno, but maybe it will appear in the sequel...you know, if that ever comes to fruition...ha ha...SIGH...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
A game paying tribute to something else doesn't automatically make it similar. Don't get me wrong, I like Dragon's Dogma, but its story and themes have nowhere near the depth, complexity, symbolism or development that Berserk has in just a few pages (or panels). And .having a game world inhabited by strange and bewildering folk is not exclusive to JRPG's by a longshot. Plenty of games, from sandbox games, to platformers, and yes...Western RPG's find themselves playing host to a number of bizarre characters.
I never said it's completely repeats story of berserk. Being inspired by doesn't means it to be copy-paste

And it's not like Dragon's Dogma's characters were fascinating or anything. Most of them boiled down to one-note caricatures occupying Gran Soren or other hubs, providing a few lines of meaningless dialogue correlating to "the news of the Dragon" or "rumors of the Salvation Organization", with no honest or defining personality, save the occasional character like Madeline or someone.
If you play DD and DA side by side you notice how different they are. DD has jap. vibes running through it'S core. Alone completely DMC inspired fight with Gryphon etc. It's just streaming style over grounded substance.
Okay, well...in complete honesty, that's not a trademark of JRPG's so much as Capcom's inability to tell a story competently. I've played JRPG's with fairly-grounded and uncomplicated plots, some of them being fairly simplistic yet very expansive in scope (the Tales series and Breath of Fire games come to mind), and not all JRPG's have to tell needlessly-overblown Square Enix-style plots as a code of law. Modern-day Capcom games just seem to be written by a host of narratively-impaired chimps, so expecting a straight-forward or even complicated story from them is like expecting a quiet episode of Hell's Kitchen
Uhhhh...breath of fire and Tales are simplistic? With intergalactic gods, weird deities, dragons in the human flesh, space chaos gods etc.? ...uh..it's not same as fallout with it's water putrifying story o_O

Well, it might also have to do with the fact that only two Basara games have been released stateside, and neither have sold particularly well. I mean, Basara 3's sales were wedged somewhere beneath the Earth's mantle.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the complaints of the "filthy baka-gaijin"....especially considering how stupidly popular a game like Catherine was over here...although, one look at the cover, and you'll probably see viable reasons to why that is. :meh:
The only problem is that SB done much better if our wonderful journalism lashed on it and labeled it to japanese and weird to enjoy their tender western brains.

WolfOD64

Uhhhh...breath of fire and Tales are simplistic? With intergalactic gods, weird deities, dragons in the human flesh, space chaos gods etc.? ...uh..it's not same as fallout with it's water putrifying story
Not simple in premise, but simple in how it's told. Games like Breath of Fire, Tales, even Fire Emblem have narratives that are relatively easy to follow...
...they aren't like any of the more recent Final Fantasy games, where the plot develops a plot within a plot, to the point where the convoluted mythos and backwards character development engulf the player's mind like a labyrinthine tornado.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Not simple in premise, but simple in how it's told. Games like Breath of Fire, Tales, even Fire Emblem have narratives that are relatively easy to follow...
...they aren't like any of the more recent Final Fantasy games, where the plot develops a plot within a plot, to the point where the convoluted mythos and backwards character development engulf the player's mind like a labyrinthine tornado.
Well to be honest, all FF games were like this ever since VII. I admit, BoF4 was extremely well written. But being more complex doesn't mean being bad. Xenogears had plot where you can break both legs and yet it was amazing...Sadly DD definitely lacks storytelling like DA or lore like Dark Souls which kinda let it fall on style over substance.

Top Bottom