• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If Devil May Cry 2 was remade, will you play it?

If Devil May Cry 2 was remade, will you play it?

• Yes

Votes: 46 93.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
What I think is, instead of making the story COMPLETELY different, they could flesh it out, add cutscenes, make Dante act like his DMC1 persona but still look badass like in 2, add a bunch of new enemies and bosses but keep the old, change Bloody Palace to the DMC3 version (DMC4 version sucks balls. I hate the time-limit.), and put a few new levels in it. Upgrading the Amulet system would be nice, as would including some actual Devil Arms besides Rebellion. A gauntlet weapon, for example, would be nice.

King of Hell

Must Die
actually, I liked DMC4 version of Bloody Palace, I felt like it had a purpose, not just slaying your way into nothingness for the next 9999 levels. even though it was a bit too short. the time limit was never a problem, you never run out of time & end up reaching the maximum allowed time near the end. though I hope the next Bloody Palace version has more than just 101 levels.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
No. :/ My opinion of the game is already bad enough and I haven't even played it through yet. Even if they made it for PC AND made it mod-friendly, I don' know if I'd buy it. And that's usually a good enough reason for me. But even modding can't get rid of characters entirely, and it would take them making key cast changes and plot changes for me to want it.

And as has been said already, if they did all that - then it wouldn't be a remake anymore.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Kittn;266126 said:
No. :/ My opinion of the game is already bad enough and I haven't even played it through yet. Even if they made it for PC AND made it mod-friendly, I don' know if I'd buy it. And that's usually a good enough reason for me. But even modding can't get rid of characters entirely, and it would take them making key cast changes and plot changes for me to want it.

And as has been said already, if they did all that - then it wouldn't be a remake anymore.

It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, actually. Just because the story is thin doesn't mean much, considering that the DMC games aren't known for their story, and the action is solid. It just didn't live up to the DMC standards, but it's in no way a bad game. It's worth a playthrough.

King of Hell

Must Die
yeah but we'd rather see them advance the current unexplained arc than go into REmake land, the only remake I'd be happy to see would be the original, if they add a few more cutscenes, more difficulties, more costumes, bloody palace, & update the combat system, that could pretty much be the perfect DMC.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
King of Hell;266166 said:
yeah but we'd rather see them advance the current unexplained arc than go into REmake land, the only remake I'd be happy to see would be the original, if they add a few more cutscenes, more difficulties, more costumes, bloody palace, & update the combat system, that could pretty much be the perfect DMC.

A couple new enemies and bosses would suffice, too. It got old fighting the same bosses three times each. >.>

Vampi

Ya know alot of people forget what the meaning of Remake means these days. It doesn't mean throwing away what the original game brought. It just means making a few tweaks here and there ala GOW Collection.

I don't think Capcom should remake DMC 2. DMC 2 is what it is and if it were anything else then its not DMC 2 then its another game. I rather have a new game that can fill in the plotholes left by not only DMC 2 but by the other games while at the same time giving us a whole new story and gameplay.

Besides, the difference between HD and SD isn't that drastic anyway. Its not like SNES to PS1 kinda graphics or whatnot.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^What GoW did is called Upgraded port.Nothing more,nothing less.Movie Remakes =/= game remakes.

As for a new DMC game filling the DMC2 holes...yeah,why not?But it will be hard to change Lucia after that...a bit at least.It would be extremelly interesting to see DMC2 made by the complete DMC team.[The BASARA team and Koba's new DMC makers.]

King of Hell

Must Die
remake example would be Resident Evil remake & Metal Gear Solid the twin snakes.

but if you notice the pattern, they only remake highly popular & critically acclaimed games, some people don't use the internet, ya know.

so if a gamer walks into a store & looks at "Devil May Cry 2 remake", his exact words would probably be something like "bummer, there's no way in hell I'm getting that", now if the original was remade, people probably would recognize it as the first ever stylish action video game, it actually sold as much as 4, except it came out on a single platform instead of 3.

anyway, even if the game is gonna rock our world, its not a logical move to remake a total critical flop.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^True...unfortunatelly.Bad reputation is not easilly lifted.But it's not always super popular games that are remade.Take a look at Metroid Zero Mission.It's the first Metroid title,remade for the GBA and it is nowhere near as popular as Metroid 3 or Super Metroid for the Game Boy.

Or even Megaman Maverick Hunter for the PSP.Inafune felt the X series was wrong due to Capcom douchness so h etried to set the series straight.

But,yes,the bottom line is what you said...

King of Hell

Must Die
being unpopular is different than being popular of...well, let's just say every gamer I know knows about the failure of DMC2. & interestingly enough, most of my friends who owned PS2 actually had the original DMC & loved it, even though a lot of them aren't DMC fans who follow the sequels.

Vampi

Devil Bane;266261 said:
^What GoW did is called Upgraded port.Nothing more,nothing less.Movie Remakes =/= game remakes.

As for a new DMC game filling the DMC2 holes...yeah,why not?But it will be hard to change Lucia after that...a bit at least.It would be extremelly interesting to see DMC2 made by the complete DMC team.[The BASARA team and Koba's new DMC makers.]

You do realize the same people who worked on DMC 2 also worked on DMC 3 and DMC 4 and also Basara (since it obviously plays so much like DMC anyway). Dude, just ask for a new game. DMC 2 is
synonymous with mediocre in the DMC series. I doubt Capcom would want to revisit that Epic Fail again.

At least Lucia in a new game would have a new VA...thank god. And they would probably give her character alot of depth. But then again the DMC series doesn't really focus so much on the girls personalities. Right now, they're just fanservice for the horny, nerdy guys.

Keaton

Premium
I enjoyed DMC2, didn't love it.
If it was a bit graphiclly prettier, a deeper combo system similar to DMC3 was implemented and the script was given some work I would.

Otherwise, I'd say just leave it be. ^_^

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Vampi;266320 said:
You do realize the same people who worked on DMC 2 also worked on DMC 3 and DMC 4 and also Basara (since it obviously plays so much like DMC anyway). Dude, just ask for a new game. DMC 2 is
synonymous with mediocre in the DMC series. I doubt Capcom would want to revisit that Epic Fail again.

At least Lucia in a new game would have a new VA...thank god. And they would probably give her character alot of depth. But then again the DMC series doesn't really focus so much on the girls personalities. Right now, they're just fanservice for the horny, nerdy guys.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3152913

Ironically, DMC2 was a mess that no amount of Diesel Jeans could salvage. The sequel's fall from grace has been well documented, and if anything, it puts the original in an even better light. A borefest directed not by Kamiya, but by a former Japanese magazine editor who'd recently joined Capcom, Devil May Cry 2 was a shadow of the original -- levels were long and meandering, and the gameplay offered no distinct advance in any category save for the second playable character. What a shame.

YUP!Totally the same team.A former magazine editor + Capcom US studio make up the current BASARA and half of the DMC team.

Anyway,Lucia would probably get a new VA since now,I THINK,the Voice actors of DMC 1 and DMC2 were and are parts of unions...and it can't quite work with non-union va's,like Reuben.Unless they do what he did with the DMC anime.But I really don't think so.

Vampi

Uh...why are you directing me to that link? That has nothing to do with my comment. I'm talking about DMC 2,3 4 and Basara team. They're the same. I know Kamiya's team in DMC 1 is no longer together and they mostly shifted to Platinum Games...

And also i know who the Former magazine editor is.It was DMC 2 and 3 producer Tsuyoshi Tanaka (who no longer works at Capcom). But mind you he produced DMC 3...which in sum ways is better then DMC 1. So the guy redeemed himself big time.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
King of Hell;266461 said:
not really, he exploded just like he did in the second fight.

the explosion after the last fight was a way more dramatic then the one from the second. the general idea was probably to show that he died that time. of course that doesn't mean Capcom can't say Vergil didn't die that time ether but i would hope Vergil's return is a bit more thought out than that.

King of Hell

Must Die
from a narrative standpoint, it was more dramatic, but it had the exact same explosion. I'm not saying he should come back & say I didn't explode to death because I exploded the same way on the second fight, I was just pointing out that Vergil could be alive.

moseslmpg

The explosion at the end of the last fight did dissipate rather than fly away, so the implication was what Vergil was "dead." But yeah, it is definitely ambiguous enough for him to come back.

But back on topic. No, I would not play a remake. If anything, they should remake DMC1 on PS4 or something. I would play that.

Top Bottom