• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I just now realized

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Is it me or were Dante and Vergil's voices ridiculously cartoonish in that game?
OMG. THANK YOU. THIS.

No, I'm serious. They were so exaggerated (but to be fair, they had to be because they had to match their voices with equally exaggerated power ranger-ish mo-cap actions) that Jester/Arkham came off as the best actor in the entire game.

Not knocking on Arkham, I mean -- the guy who played him (Adam Clark) was simply outstanding in that role.

Edit: Crap, I thought you meant DMC3. Oh well. No, I didn't find DmC's voices "cartoony". It's not easy mo-capping and voicing at the same time -- they did what they could under the circumstances -- plus, DMC3 was way cartoonier in my honest opinion.

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
Edit: Crap, I thought you meant DMC3. Oh well. No, I didn't find DmC's voices "cartoony". It's not easy mo-capping and voicing at the same time -- they did what they could under the circumstances -- plus, DMC3 was way cartoonier in my honest opinion.
I did mean DMC3, they sounded sooooooo goofy.

I actually found DmC's voice acting quite realistic, especially Vergil.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
I was gonna say something about american actor dubbing japanese things, but I think that we see american actors doing the mo-cap in DMC3. I'm not sure now.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I was gonna say something about american actor dubbing japanese things, but I think that we see american actors doing the mo-cap in DMC3. I'm not sure now.
Yeah, the Americans both voiced and mo-capped their performances.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Is it me or were Dante and Vergil's voices ridiculously cartoonish in that game?
"Boy you sure know how to throw a party...no FOOD, no DRINK, and the BABE just left."
"...and my soul says IT WANTS TO STAHP YOU!"

What're you talking about? You didn't like the effective and top-notch delivery in those lines?

Look, I love Reuben Lagdon. He's a great voice actor and a fantastic mocap artist. But for God's sake...what phase was he going through during that time...?

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
"Boy you sure know how to throw a party...no FOOD, no DRINK, and the BABE just left."
"...and my soul says IT WANTS TO STAHP YOU!"

What're you talking about? You didn't like the effective and top-notch delivery in those lines?

Look, I love Reuben Lagdon. He's a great voice actor and a fantastic mocap artist. But for God's sake...what phase was he going through during that time...?

I'm glad you're all saying this, because I've been thinking that for a long time now. I really, really had to warm up to the way Dante was saying things. I did like Vergil, however. I prefer David, but DMC3's Vergil was nice too.

In DmC though, I thought the voice + audio was a little weird in the Mundus boss fight. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's when Mundus has transformed into that huge thing and Dante and Vergil are running through the building. It should sound like the entire building is about to crash, but instead their voices sound a little...hollow? IDK if that's the way to describe it, it just came off as a little strange.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
I'm glad you're all saying this, because I've been thinking that for a long time now. I really, really had to warm up to the way Dante was saying things. I did like Vergil, however. I prefer David, but DMC3's Vergil was nice too.

In DmC though, I thought the voice + audio was a little weird in the Mundus boss fight. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's when Mundus has transformed into that huge thing and Dante and Vergil are running through the building. It should sound like the entire building is about to crash, but instead their voices sound a little...hollow? IDK if that's the way to describe it, it just came off as a little strange.

And whenever Dante yelled in the reboot it was just "aaahhhh."

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Both Vergils were great, and had voices that really captured the essence of their personalities. If I had any gripes about their in-game lines, it had more to do with each game's writing than the delivery of the VA.

Maybe the voice actors weren't used to making action grunts and combat yells that you would hear in a game like this. Most VA's for characters in Capcom games have had more experience with these kind of roles, and are able to make dynamic grunts and yells for in-game combat...i.e., Roger Craig Smith (Chris Redfield), Johnny Young Bosch (Nero/Yukimora Sanada), and Reuben Lagdon (Dante).

But then, you look at Tim Phillips and David De Lautour, who are mainly TV Actors that haven't really dabbled in voice acting, especially of this kind. That's probably why they don't sound as dynamic and flamboyant as the actors that come before them. I wouldn't call it a downgrade in quality, so much as a result of the actors' inexperience with this kind of thing.

And that's actually one of my personal disappointments with how DmC turned out. I like the voice acting a lot, but it shambles a lot when it comes to combat noises and such, especially towards the end. A few people have already mentioned Dante's side-splittingly monotone scream as he and Mundus plummet off a cliff...and that's a fairly-good example of what I'm talking about.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
Both Vergils were great, and had voices that really captured the essence of their personalities. If I had any gripes about their in-game lines, it had more to do with each game's writing than the delivery of the VA.

Maybe the voice actors weren't used to making action grunts and combat yells that you would hear in a game like this. Most VA's for characters in Capcom games have had more experience with these kind of roles, and are able to make dynamic grunts and yells for in-game combat...i.e., Roger Craig Smith (Chris Redfield), Johnny Young Bosch (Nero/Yukimora Sanada), and Reuben Lagdon (Dante).

But then, you look at Tim Phillips and David De Lautour, who are mainly TV Actors that haven't really dabbled in voice acting, especially of this kind. That's probably why they don't sound as dynamic and flamboyant as the actors that come before them. I wouldn't call it a downgrade in quality, so much as a result of the actors' inexperience with this kind of thing.

And that's actually one of my personal disappointments with how DmC turned out. I like the voice acting a lot, but it shambles a lot when it comes to combat noises and such, especially towards the end. A few people have already mentioned Dante's side-splittingly monotone scream as he and Mundus plummet off a cliff...and that's a fairly-good example of what I'm talking about.

And Vergil's yell when hit with a chainsaw is true art.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I wouldn't say DMC3's voices or lines sounded cartoony. Not sure what that means, anyway. Do people in cartoons talk completely different to normal language? Not necessarily. Dante in DMC3 is a character. Vergil is a character. They are not meant to represent actual realistic people. If anything, they are supposed to be like superheroes/antiheroes. Their lines are often very fitting to the situation, and sometimes almost poetic in that sense. And that's the point. Don't know if it's cartoony per se, though.

On topic: yeah, that's a picture of a succubus. Well, not really, since traditional succubi do not look somewhat like snails or whatever that thing is. It's a DmC succubus, I guess.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
I wouldn't say DMC3's voices or lines sounded cartoony. Not sure what that means, anyway. Do people in cartoons talk completely different to normal language? Not necessarily. Dante in DMC3 is a character. Vergil is a character. They are not meant to represent actual realistic people. If anything, they are supposed to be like superheroes/antiheroes. Their lines are often very fitting to the situation, and sometimes almost poetic in that sense. And that's the point. Don't know if it's cartoony per se, though.

On topic: yeah, that's a picture of a succubus. Well, not really, since traditional succubi do not look somewhat like snails or whatever that thing is. It's a DmC succubus, I guess.

Or maybe Dante is into slugs and that's what it looks like to him.

Top Bottom