• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

how i feel towards DMC4 Special Edition

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
so i just tried it but on my friend's PS4, so it's a very limited experience thus make it just first impression review and more about gameplay..

my biggest impression was towards how i feel capcom did some tweaking on the combat mechanics, i felt it more fluid and responsive, back when i played the vanilla i had big time difficulties chaining moves, i pressed the buttons but the moves didn't come out, maybe they did some tweaking on the response time, cuz on SE, i easily chain moves

another impression was i didn't get disoriented with directions, on vanilla, since what's moving was the characters and not the camera, i got confused which directions did the character was facing, so again, the moves i was intending didn't come out as well, so maybe again it's the response time they tweaked, maybe backthen when i intended the moves the character already is facing a different direction..

another impression, the turbo mode seemed slightly faster..

the animations was more fluid also, from the running/walking to jumping, SE didn't seem as cluncky as the vanilla, it's rather smooth and proper..

and i wrote a post on @Foxtrot94 's profile, and i was just informed by both him and @ef9 o shea , that the difficulties were watered down, this part, i can't tell for sure, since i'm not that familiar with that and the parameter should be how the enemies behave, and i didn't have a good sight on that..

IMO, saying the difficulties were watered down maybe because the combat tweaking capcom did, it was more fluid that even i, a CASUAL player think it's gotten a whole lot better and i enjoyed it more than the vanilla version..

so i don't know, that's just how i feel, there should be others who didn't like/ less liking the combat in DMC4 and felt the change in SE the way i did to maybe justify my judgement..

on another note, i did feel the combo meter is also tweaked making it raise easily.

overall, i felt the fun with SE, and made me want to get one for me.. and this fluidity that i feel should be continued for the next installment

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, I didn't notice any change in "fluidity", as it feels just like vanilla to me. Maybe you feel that way cause of placebo, absolitude? Or maybe cause of the new characters' controls? Or maybe cause you haven't played much DMC4, so it feels different for that reason, I dunno.

As for the ranking system... I haven't paid much attention to it, tbh. IF they somehow watered that down, I wouldn't know the reason, cause imo, DMC4's ranking system wasn't even that hard to achieve SSS in.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The se feel like a good port of the pc versin with streamlined controls but it is way easier , the new characters being op is not the only reason for that.I mean even the super characters are stupid , dante always has a full pandora and royal guard guage , nero is always at max act and vergil always has full concentration guage.It is a letdown to have it so easy to beat and s rank, the winning grqce for me is the new characters.If they weren't in the game I wouldn't have got it as I can just play the pc version of the vanilla with turbo mode on and it is the same, except the original challenge is there.

absolitude

Well, I didn't notice any change in "fluidity", as it feels just like vanilla to me. Maybe you feel that way cause of placebo, absolitude? Or maybe cause of the new characters' controls? Or maybe cause you haven't played much DMC4, so it feels different for that reason, I dunno.

As for the ranking system... I haven't paid much attention to it, tbh. IF they somehow watered that down, I wouldn't know the reason, cause imo, DMC4's ranking system wasn't even that hard to achieve SSS in.

i played mostly with nero and vergil there, have a little taste of the two women, OP, but i never liked playing girls when there are dudes, so i was just tryin them out.. played dante, and still playin it dumb just like in vanilla, still haven't get the hang of style switchin, dude needs more getting used to to play..

fact is i did better with nero there than in vanilla, and i'm still playin the vanilla when i'm too bored playing anything else, and funny thing i know what i'm doing in SE and every moves i input come out.. the same goes for vergil, only way way way more accessible, and i love how i got what i wanted, that getting in front of your enemies in an instance --still i used nero more.. and trust me the combo meter is also watered down..

if it was placebo, dang, my kind of placebo might actually cure people..

The se feel like a good port of the pc versin with streamlined controls but it is way easier , the new characters being op is not the only reason for that.I mean even the super characters are stupid , dante always has a full pandora and royal guard guage , nero is always at max act and vergil always has full concentration guage.It is a letdown to have it so easy to beat and s rank, the winning grqce for me is the new characters.If they weren't in the game I wouldn't have got it as I can just play the pc version of the vanilla with turbo mode on and it is the same, except the original challenge is there.

i would say so, the original challenge is in the vanilla, cuz i don't enjoy playing games where i sucked at it, least in SE, i could play as how the game should be played..

anyway guys i need to know, if they watered down the difficulty, which part? are the enemies behaving differently or they have lower HP?

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i'm not entirely sure if the difficulty was tweaked or not
i/we may have just gotten better
tho i'm pretty sure Dante must Die hasn't been changed to much Berial is still as tough as i remember
legendary dark knight may have been tweaked since it's is now selectable from the start

i think the style gauge was always easy to fill up

I mean even the super characters are stupid , dante always has a full pandora and royal guard guage , nero is always at max act and vergil always has full concentration guage.It is a letdown to have it so easy to beat and s rank
do you mean S rank a level?
because if you use a super character then the penalty it gives you pretty much makes it impossible to get an S rank for a level

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
They take less damage to kill seem less intelligent even than before and are less aggressive , also your damage output when you play now is much higher and the wide area attacks are stupidly op.

and I only use super characters in bloody palace to have a bit of fun so no that isn't what I meant bud

absolitude

i'm not entirely sure if the difficulty was tweaked or not
i/we may have just gotten better

i'm definitely not getting suddenly better, i played dmc4 only to stop cuz i feel i sucked at it.. but with SE i wanted to play more

They take less damage to kill seem less intelligent even than before and are less aggressive , also your damage output when you play now is much higher and the wide area attacks are stupidly op.

hmm.. that maybe it, i think i need to get the game immediately so i could compare them, can't always keep visiting my friend's house like a hobo..

lol yeah, the mentioning of op wide area attacks made me think of trish

Moondivider

www.tablehopper.deviantart.com
Premium
Only had SE for a week or so, but I've played the original ps3 version for years and no, Dante and Nero atleast are the same in both versions. As is the camera and controls so you're probably just better than last time you played. (Age and experience can do much for you regarding skills in anything in life basically) As for ranking, ranking was always a tee nicer in dmc 4 than 3 and I feel vanilla and se are pretty much the same regarding ranking (remember you get a rank boost if you dont use items in the bonus & penalty section) During bad runs in se 4 I could sometimes get B if i continued from a checkpoint after dying and I never got higher than A if I used a gold orb. That applies for Nero, Vergil and Dante. So for those three, everything seems to be the same. Can't say for sure if mission ranking was tweaked for Lady and Trish. But the girls are op, yes. Vergil too, sadly, is op to an extent in some ways. As for enemy-AI and stuff they act pretty much the same way as in ps3-vanilla. However some of them spam moves occasionally in SE I've noticed.

Last edited:

absolitude

okay, i can confirm, every and each of my impression is true, i tried the vanilla again on LDK, and i'm still having the same exact trouble the way i always did with the button pressing and moves that failed to come out and disoriented with directions..

on the dante fight i had to use four vital star m, and a holy water, on SE i did not use any. it took me so long to went thru that fight, while in SE in a very short time.

on mission 2 in vanilla, again so many vital star m, maybe one after each waves. on SE, i only used one vital star s.

i stopped at belial in vanilla, on SE i had to use --i forgot how many vital star s but i managed to beat him.

i can confirm either turbo mode on SE IS a bit faster or it's the response time/ fluidity, i am still soooo clunky in vanilla. this explains why i enjoyed the SE even in LDK

combo meter is tweaked in SE, so many smokin stylish. while in vanilla could only get to b.

ranking system is tweaked, an S in the dante fight SE LDK, and a D in vanilla,

and about the difficulty, i can't really say for sure, but it sure looked like it's been watered down maybe just less aggressive but it's hard to tell because maybe in SE it was so fluid that they don't have the time being aggressive because they kept getting the beating..

oh, and when using vergil, dante was releasing that pandora bullcrap on me time to time, and when using nero he didn't have the time. in vanilla, he uses that over and over and over cuz he managed to keep his distance, maybe enemies do behave aggresively. and i do notice the swarm is really intimidating in vanilla, feels like they're allover you

i'm using Nero..

anyway, for those who didn't favor combat in DMC4, i SUGGEST you get and try this, it's a great improvement in combat department. and if you could, i suggest you get one for me.. HA!

capcom need to confirm this..

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Meh. I've been playing vanilla for years and SE since it came out... still not noticing that fluidity stuff. As I said, feels just like vanilla to me. I gotta believe you're being placeboed about controls feeling, man. XD

absolitude

lol, dammit jim, why is it so hard to believe? but in all seriousness tho, when you're already good at it and have been more than getting used to it, you might not notice the difference, but when you're a sucky casual like me, you'll very much notice it..

i say this thing i'm feeling is a good thing, and i believe they're perfecting this to apply on the sequel, and this could definitely embrace more audience, just maybe skip the watered down difficulties

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
but in all seriousness tho, when you're already good at it and have been more than getting used to it, you might not notice the difference, but when you're a sucky casual like me, you'll very much notice it..

XD but I'm not "good". I'm kinda average, tbh.

absolitude

dude, compared to me, you're more than good i believe, here's a catch, even on DmC, i just chain moves, can't do those combo cancel weapon switch stuffs, just the plain rebellion cancel if lucky.. and members showing their videos of DmC here plays better than me..

that's how sucky i am.. but i enjoy them.. and i finally could really enjoy DMC4.. you wanna get me the SE btw? XD

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well if you've got Steam, I could gift it to you... once I get some money LOL! Just bought new PC so I'm kinda short on it. XD

absolitude

hahaha, i was just kidding, it's a good pricing the SE, but i'm saving money cuz i'm seeing artifacts, preparing for the worst. could always play hobo and visit my friend

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Tbh, in terms of fluidity it plays same to me as vanilla. There is nothing changed. They did add some things to make S ranking easier, like less penalties etc, but combat itself is pretty much the same

absolitude

that means you're already good with the game too @Innsmouth ,

am i the only one sucked at dmc4 that i'm the only one feeling this? what is this? what kind of world am i living in? calling all sucky dmc4 players!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
that means you're already good with the game too @Innsmouth ,

am i the only one sucked at dmc4 that i'm the only one feeling this? what is this? what kind of world am i living in? calling all sucky dmc4 players!
no, not really. Im not that good either. I never achieved all S ranking in DMC4 back than, so I was rather mediocre player

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The controls are the exact same in se buddy this is coming from a 7 year DMC4 veteran and a 14 year feteran of the series

I am going to assume your playing on automatic and that is why you think it is better as they have gotten rid of the lag in buffering times , that isn't it being more fluid it is simply doing what it is supposed to and what it did on pc

but the pc version was more responsive than console versions that is what your experiencing

Top Bottom