• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hiroyuki "Japanese for FAIL" Kobayashi made DMC4 to appeal to Women (gamers)

Vampi

aoshi;264397 said:
I don't think my point has been understood.Sparda's history was sealed 2000 years ago but his legendary sword and devil trigger is in every DMC game. I have already stated that devil arms are entrusted with demonic powers and expect yamatoa to become an essential sword in DMC as sparda sword and have vergil's DT entrusted with it.

The thing is, Vergil isn't as powerful as Sparda so his sword isn't as essential as the Sparda sword.

And also, Sparda's costume, Sparda sword or sparda DT hasn't been in 2 DMC games already: which are DMC 2 and DMC 4. Which really bothers me as well. I would've hope they updated his look a lil ya know.

I blame Kobayashi for having no extra costumes and just teasing us with the Sparda sword without us actually playing with it. All i have to say is....

killingkobayashipic2.jpg

HQQR - Solid

THE AWESOME
^ this made me laugh so hard.

Though I don't see why you guys are so upset about the Sparda costume not being in dmc4 :/
Dante's supposed to be just as good or even "better" than Sparda isn't he?

Vampi

No Dante is not suppose to be better then Sparda. He never will. How can Dante, a half-demon, be just as good as a full demon with centuries of experience (Sparda). It will not happen. Even in the DMC 4 novel it states that even though Dante is half-demon, he still ages like a regular human (take that as you will, unless DMc 5 says otherwise or there's a DMC 5 novel in the future). But Dante will never be as good as Sparda. Sparda is practically a God.

And also, its nice having a Sparda costume in any DMC. DMC is all about Sparda's legacy and his legend. Though i wish they would update his look a lil. I"m sure he didn't always look that way throughout the centuries. Sumthing like this...

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=sparda&order=9&offset=384#/d2lx66t

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
HQQR - Solid;266549 said:
Dante's supposed to be just as good or even "better" than Sparda isn't he?

Moses is going to get on your case for that, I can just sense it...

But I agree. He's supposed to be as good. So what's the big problem?

Vampi

Yea i sense Moses coming in any minute now...

But really, why should Dante be better or surpass Sparda?

He's too young, not as old as Sparda. And he's half-human, Sparda is full demon. I just think people underestimate Sparda's power. He's like the Jesus Christ of the DMC universe.

moseslmpg

Suffice it to say that people know my position on the Dante and Sparda power levels, and I don't want to discuss it for fear of being censured again.

But that is totally irrelevant to the costume issue. Costumes are cosmetic changes, and there was no reason for DMC4 not to have them. It would have been nice to see that purple coat in PS3 graphics, but I guess Koba thought different. It was pure laziness, just like the backtracking and no Hell.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;266640 said:
But that is totally irrelevant to the costume issue. Costumes are cosmetic changes, and there was no reason for DMC4 not to have them. It would have been nice to see that purple coat in PS3 graphics, but I guess Koba thought different. It was pure laziness, just like the backtracking and no Hell.

Backtracking: Lazy.
No Hell: REALLY lazy. I want the DMC1 Hell back. That was frigging epic.
No costumes: Lazy to the EXTREME. They could've done so much better with that...

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
there would have been one minor problem with extra costumes for dmc4. it would have made it alot easier to hint that Nero is Vergil's son. you know Nero would've had a Vergil costume.

but that is only a problem for fans who don't like that particular theory.( aka fans of dmc). the only reason Capcom had was no one felt like doing the work.

i suddenly had an idea. I'm going to make a thread for people to say what costumes should have been in dmc4.

Vampi

As long as DMC 5 doesn't have costumes that are DLC its all good. But the way Capcom are nowadays, i wouldn't be surprised if DMC 5 had way too much DLC and no unlockables on the disc.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Ewww, now after reading that QA session moses posted up I'm offically insulted. I love the blood 'n' gore in the DMC series. I really liked the DMC1 hell too, a living realm! The gothic look in DMC 1 gave it its creepy feel, not to mention got your blood flowing...Damn koba ;_;. Next thing you know it will be even more of a pansya** game.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If they wanted the game to appeal to female gamers then they should gotten writers that can actually write compelling female characters. Which they didnt

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Z218;290209 said:
If they wanted the game to appeal to female gamers then they should gotten writers that can actually write compelling female characters. Which they didnt
I thought Lady was a step in the right direction in 3 but that didn't last very long. They should have left her out of 4.

UZUDAE

I happened to rather like Nero. Sure he wasn't the most ORIGINAL character, but it was nice to see a more punkish character who contrasts the much more mature Dante DMC4 featured. It was like DMC3 Dante meets his older self in some ways. Plus Nero had a cool costume design, awesome moves, and was every bit as tough as the other characters.

Except for crying that one time, but...hey, Dante cried too, remember?

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
UZUDAE;290840 said:
I happened to rather like Nero. Sure he wasn't the most ORIGINAL character, but it was nice to see a more punkish character who contrasts the much more mature Dante DMC4 featured. It was like DMC3 Dante meets his older self in some ways. Plus Nero had a cool costume design, awesome moves, and was every bit as tough as the other characters.

Except for crying that one time, but...hey, Dante cried too, remember?
I agree with most of what you said but what do you mean " the much more mature Dante". Devil May Cry 4 had the least mature Dante in the entire series. he was like a 5 year old most of the game.

UZUDAE

I agree with most of what you said but what do you mean " the much more mature Dante". Devil May Cry 4 had the least mature Dante in the entire series. he was like a 5 year old most of the game.

Well naturally, in ways he always WILL be a little immature. But he seemed more sauve, calmer, and even more responsible in DMC4. He took on sort of a mentors role with Nero (I use sort of lightly). Plus look at his motivations in the other games- DMC3 it was just plain fun and sibling rivalry, DMC1 it was revenge and money. In DMC4 it was stopping evil, and keeping the power of Yamato safe.

He's still the same immature wisecracker though, as always ^_^

Plus, as a sidenote, he LOOKS more mature. He looks like he's in his early thirties almost, plus he has a bigger build and just a little stubble. Was this just me though? I really thought he looked older.

moseslmpg

I think you're seeing something that isn't there. DMC4 Dante was the least mature of them all, especially given his age.

DMC3 Dante was immature, but he matured at the end of the game. And not as the result of "just plain fun;" that was probably his most significant mission ever, as he had to not only stop Vergil, but also Arkham from literally creating Hell on earth. DMC1 was probably the most mature and serious of them all, whose motivation was not revenge and money, it was his end goal in life of just avenging his mother's death and stopping the ultimate evil that his father fought. In DMC2, I don't know, he was there to do a job and help Lucia, and although he seemed somewhat apathetic, he at least didn't crack jokes and he did what he had to do.

DMC4 on the other hand, was like a vacation for Dante, "just plain fun" if you will. He was careless, sloppy, apathetic to the point of psychopathy, and he didn't take it seriously at all. He didn't really seem to care about the Yamato or about falling right into a trap that gave Sanctus what he wanted, and he certainly didn't care about disrupting the entire society of the island. He was a mentor to Nero in the same way that Johnny Knoxville is a mentor to teenagers across America.

Sure, eventually he helped stop Sanctus, but completing a job doesn't mean being mature about it. He just acted like a child through the entire thing really.

If DMC4 Dante is your estimation of maturity, I think you need to change your definition a little.

Edit: I agree with you about Nero being like a younger Dante, although I think his presence was totally unnecessary, and his appearance was even offensive. They should have just used a time machine scenario and got it over with.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
moseslmpg;291325 said:
I think you're seeing something that isn't there. DMC4 Dante was the least mature of them all, especially given his age.

DMC3 Dante was immature, but he matured at the end of the game. And not as the result of "just plain fun;" that was probably his most significant mission ever, as he had to not only stop Vergil, but also Arkham from literally creating Hell on earth. DMC1 was probably the most mature and serious of them all, whose motivation was not revenge and money, it was his end goal in life of just avenging his mother's death and stopping the ultimate evil that his father fought. In DMC2, I don't know, he was there to do a job and help Lucia, and although he seemed somewhat apathetic, he at least didn't crack jokes and he did what he had to do.

DMC4 on the other hand, was like a vacation for Dante, "just plain fun" if you will. He was careless, sloppy, apathetic to the point of psychopathy, and he didn't take it seriously at all. He didn't really seem to care about the Yamato or about falling right into a trap that gave Sanctus what he wanted, and he certainly didn't care about disrupting the entire society of the island. He was a mentor to Nero in the same way that Johnny Knoxville is a mentor to teenagers across America.

Sure, eventually he helped stop Sanctus, but completing a job doesn't mean being mature about it. He just acted like a child through the entire thing really.

If DMC4 Dante is your estimation of maturity, I think you need to change your definition a little.

Edit: I agree with you about Nero being like a younger Dante, although I think his presence was totally unnecessary, and his appearance was even offensive. They should have just used a time machine scenario and got it over with.
In DMC4 Dante's defence, he could of ended the game very early, but Kobayashi thought of some bull**** plot that would make Nero be the hero. That state it a few time in the game that had Dante taken a more proactive stance than letting Nero handle it, the whole incident would have been done with. It only escalated that far cause Trish/Gloria gave the Order Sparda....ok....when I think about it...in DMC4 Dante's defence...the whole damn story is stupid and Kobayashi is a troll.

moseslmpg

Esura;291475 said:
In DMC4 Dante's defence, he could of ended the game very early, but Kobayashi thought of some bull**** plot that would make Nero be the hero. That state it a few time in the game that had Dante taken a more proactive stance than letting Nero handle it, the whole incident would have been done with. It only escalated that far cause Trish/Gloria gave the Order Sparda....ok....when I think about it...in DMC4 Dante's defence...the whole damn story is stupid and Kobayashi is a troll.
Yeah, I don't really blame Dante. They basically casted him as a satire of himself. The entire story of DMC4 could have been averted by DMC never getting involved at all. Sanctus wasn't even "evil" evil. Really, i don't even recall why DMC got involved anyway, except that they were hurting Lady's business.

UZUDAE

I know he cracked jokes, but that's because he's Dante. This time around though he seemed to be doing it in a more winking, suave way. I felt like it said "I'm in control, so I'm not worried" unlike in past games, where I felt like it was saying "lets see what happens."

Point taken that by the end of DMC3 he matured, that was the whole purpose of the game and we see that transformation again with Nero, almost perfectly mirrored.

Why does Nero's appearance offend you so much though? Is it the character himself, or rather Kobayashi's explanation of him that offends you?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
UZUDAE;291521 said:
I know he cracked jokes, but that's because he's Dante. This time around though he seemed to be doing it in a more winking, suave way. I felt like it said "I'm in control, so I'm not worried" unlike in past games, where I felt like it was saying "lets see what happens."

Point taken that by the end of DMC3 he matured, that was the whole purpose of the game and we see that transformation again with Nero, almost perfectly mirrored.

Why does Nero's appearance offend you so much though? Is it the character himself, or rather Kobayashi's explanation of him that offends you?

I think the Nero question can be answered that most gamers didn't like him because of three reasons.

A: He usurps Dante as the main protagonist.

B: His backstory is entirely unexplained.

and C: He was, in all honesty, unnecessary.

Doesn't mean I dislike Nero, though. No, I like Nero quite a fair bit more than Dante. Just because he has the capability to cry under pressure doesn't make him emo.

Top Bottom