• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gotta give credit where credit is due

ZeroLove

As a stand alone game, as in not comparing it to the original DMC, DmC is quite good. There are some flaws, such as the few plotholes and unexplained events in the story, the shadows being blocky in the PS3 version, the boss battles being too few and maybe even too simple, stuff like that. But overall, Ninja Theory made a really good game.

I agree with people that if this was a completely stand alone game, as in NOT a Devil May Cry game, then we could have avoided all the unnecessary hatred and butthurt from the fanboys/girls, however, I am sure that there would be DMC fans who would complain about how DmC (or whatever it's new title might have been) is TOO MUCH like DMC.
If Capcom and NT really made this game and called it a different name, even gave Dante and Vergil some other names, then there would be those who would say "Why didn't they just call it Devil May Cry, since it is a complete rip-off anyways" or something alike. Yeah, you can't satisfy everyone...

DmC is what it is and I personally think people should just deal with it and move on with their lives. Accept it for what it is and let it go. I know it is too much to ask for, since there are people who clings on to whatever little spark of hatred they have and refuses to just move on...

In any case, I personally think Ninja Theory did a good job. DmC might not bring something a whole lot new to the table, but as a game on its own, I am pretty satisfied with the result given to us. It is fun to play, it has a good story, the voice-actors did a good job, the character development is quite present, the platforming is a nice touch although perhaps a bit repetitive, but none the less adds to the gameplay in a nice positive way.

Ters

grats on three mediocre mashfests/financial failures in a row

dog-with-party-hat.jpg

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah, but NT pretty much were tutored by Capcom, not Capcom did everything with gameplay. NT were the ones who were making gameplay while Capcom looked over their shoulders every now and then to see their progress and give pointers.

Capcom mostly did the gameplay, whereas Ninja Theory worked on the characters and plot.
Fixed.

They did pretty good for their first try, but then, so did Capcom (now Platinum Games) with DMC1, which was even taken from Resident Evil 4. Still, they did what they had to, and it worked alright.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Agree, NT did an amazing job, I doubt a half-assed DMC5 would've been as cool as this ended up

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's speculation on your part what NT did and what Capcom did when it comes to the gameplay of DmC. But i know that Capcom helped out with the gameplay of DmC. What i don't know is how much, but if you don't believe me then believe this quote:

It's not speculation. Ninja Theory was the developers, and they alone worked on the game, with a large amount of oversight and guidance from the Capcom team helping them. Capcom told them points where frames could be shaved and whatever, but otherwise it was all Ninja Theory.

Personally i don't see DmC's gameplay as a huge achievement for Ninja theory. The gameplay was defined by Capcom, and Ninja theory received help in producing it on the Unreal Engine. And they managed that. But it's not a individual achievement, but a team achievement. Therefor it has less meaning to me as a achievement.

F*cking wha? How is DmC not a huge achievement to Ninja Theory? Look at their past games and look at DmC. DmC is literally the greatest game that Ninja Theory has ever developed. Regardless of whether they did it "completely on their own" or with guidance from a team at a place like Capcom, they made that game. They were taught how to make a better hack 'n' slash by people from the pantheon of action games, and they put that knowledge to impeccable use to create the best game they've ever made. I'm sure they acknowledge Capcom's help (how could they not?) but this is still much more their achievement than Capcom's.

Any team with same or roughly same skills as Ninja theory in Hack and Slash can make roughly the same gameplay that Ninja theory did with help from Capcom.

But this has nothing to do with other teams, this is talking about Ninja Theory's accomplishment. It's like you actually refuse to acknowledge that Ninja Theory had anything to be proud of...

Damn man, it's like telling your child he's nothing special for passing the fourth grade because millions of other kids do it every year.

Ters

amazing timmy you got a c minus instead of a d this time have a gold star

achieving mediocrity doesn't deserve lavish praise.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oh, I forgot that we're all supposed to be dickholes to each other and constantly base and compare everything on a completely subjective opinion of the status quo, instead of actually just acknowledging and praising singular achievements.

When someone does better than their usual, it should be acknowledged and supported, making them strive to keep it up and consistently do better.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
As a game its pretty good, as a story it's decent but I felt it was a step back from Enslaved as it had funnier dialogue, a legitimately cool and complex character in Monkey and in one scene they sold me on Pyramid having good intentions and being a good guy more than they did with Mundus in the whole game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Pyramid having good intentions and being a good guy more than they did with Mundus in the whole game.

I dunno...Mundus was never supposed to be seen as a watchful lord over humanity. He thought the humans were useless, and actively farms them for his own gain. That's very different from Pyramid in Enslaved, which was gathering up people to live in a virtual reality that was better than the ****ty world they actually lived in. Different ends, different stories, really :p

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I dunno...Mundus was never supposed to be seen as a watchful lord over humanity. He thought the humans were useless, and actively farms them for his own gain. That's very different from Pyramid in Enslaved, which was gathering up people to live in a virtual reality that was better than the ****ty world they actually lived in. Different ends, different stories, really :p
Yep, Mundus was more the guy who saw humans as stupid and incapable of doing anything, so he saw a chance to take over and profit at the expense of human misery. Pyramid on the other hand honestly thought he was doing the right thing.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
amazing timmy you got a c minus instead of a d this time have a gold star

achieving mediocrity doesn't deserve lavish praise.
Any improvement is worth commending. If we fail to praise the seemingly small achievements then when will we recognise the bigger ones?

I'm starting to wonder what construes as "mediocre" in a video game. What holy standard is it held up to before it's considered to no longer be mediocre and worthy of a modicum of praise? It would seem that many are willing to point out flaws and faults, but few are able to suggest viable improvements and constructive critique.

Terrutas

Any improvement is worth commending. If we fail to praise the seemingly small achievements then when will we recognise the bigger ones?

I'm starting to wonder what construes as "mediocre" in a video game. What holy standard is it held up to before it's considered to no longer be mediocre and worthy of a modicum of praise? It would seem that many are willing to point out flaws and faults, but few are able to suggest viable improvements and constructive critique.
When I stream DMC4 gameplay,I get praised for coming off as some "professional player" when I really don't feel that way.

Compared to what I've seen.I don't even consider myself mediocre. which is why I think mediocrity in video games is a very subjective matter.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's always going to be subjective. An award-winning something doesn't necessarily mean it's above mediocrity - John Marston from Red Dead Redemption lost a Best Character Award to what's-his-name Woods from Black Ops. I can assure you that Marston was a much more profound character than a guy in a military shooter known for its multiplayer and not its story.

It's so much easier to pick out flaws, like you said Angel, but even then the subjectivity of it all takes root, like the people who claim DmC is utter sh!t, unwilling to acknowledge just how decent of a game it is :/ I don't think anyone has a right to declare what game's are "sh!t" when without a doubt they love a game with all their heart that is thought of as such.

AlchemistFromEden

Capcom mostly did the gameplay, whereas Ninja Theory worked on the characters and plot.
Fixed.

They did pretty good for their first try, but then, so did Capcom (now Platinum Games) with DMC1, which was even taken from Resident Evil 4. Still, they did what they had to, and it worked alright.
no, out of the 100 people who worked on the game, only TEN people were from capcom -_- this game was made by NT

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
tl; dr;

So I guess this thread is for praise? Well... uhh... DmC is pretty and the PC port is good. That's praiseworthy.

Not really. Its more of a good job to NT for proving they could make a good Hack n' Slash game when everyone doubted them.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
no, out of the 100 people who worked on the game, only TEN people were from capcom -_- this game was made by NT

Where did you get that info from, then? I read in an official statement that Capcom was tackling the gameplay, while Ninja Theory worked on the plot, the characters, and, well, everything else. Nobody said this game was created by Capcom.

Top Bottom