• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gotta give credit where credit is due

AlchemistFromEden

Where did you get that info from, then? I read in an official statement that Capcom was tackling the gameplay, while Ninja Theory worked on the plot, the characters, and, well, everything else. Nobody said this game was created by Capcom.
lol if you honestly think that NT didn't have any hand in the gameplay you need to cite your source, oh look here's one,
"The game was officially announced by Capcom at their press conference during the 2010 Tokyo Game Show in September, confirming an earlier rumor in the May 2010 issue of Game Informer which said that the fifth Devil May Cry game would be developed by Ninja Theory.[6][12] The Capcom staff first thought that it would be entertaining to have a Devil May Cry reboot in order to revisit its recurring characters.[2]They chose Ninja Theory, impressed with their work on Heavenly Sword which the staff thought would work with a Devil May Cry game.[2] Ninja Theory's creative director Tameem Antoniades stated that DmC's combat system would contain mechanics that would set him apart from previous Platinum Games' titles with Platinum's Hideki Kamiya being the creator of Devil May Cry. Lead producer Alex Jones stated they still wanted to compete with Platinum in terms of gameplay and storytelling. The idea of a town being alive that wishes to kill the player was added a new element never seen before in the Devil May Cryseries.[13] The actions of Limbo Town are inspired by previous Devil May Cry games, where the environments would close whenever Dante was surrounded by enemies.[9] Most of the game was finished as of April 2012 with Capcom aiding Ninja Theory in tweaking few aspects for the final product. Capcom became heavily involved in the combat system to ensure the character's responsive moves and add new air combos never seen before in the franchise.[14] The development team included over ninety members with nearly ten of them being from Capcom."
yes, nearly ten people made the gameplay while NT just sat there and watched in awe right? -_-

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
lol if you honestly think that NT didn't have any hand in the gameplay you need to cite your source, oh look here's one,
"The game was officially announced by Capcom at their press conference during the 2010 Tokyo Game Show in September, confirming an earlier rumor in the May 2010 issue of Game Informer which said that the fifth Devil May Cry game would be developed by Ninja Theory.[6][12] The Capcom staff first thought that it would be entertaining to have a Devil May Cry reboot in order to revisit its recurring characters.[2]They chose Ninja Theory, impressed with their work on Heavenly Sword which the staff thought would work with a Devil May Cry game.[2] Ninja Theory's creative director Tameem Antoniades stated that DmC's combat system would contain mechanics that would set him apart from previous Platinum Games' titles with Platinum's Hideki Kamiya being the creator of Devil May Cry. Lead producer Alex Jones stated they still wanted to compete with Platinum in terms of gameplay and storytelling. The idea of a town being alive that wishes to kill the player was added a new element never seen before in the Devil May Cryseries.[13] The actions of Limbo Town are inspired by previous Devil May Cry games, where the environments would close whenever Dante was surrounded by enemies.[9] Most of the game was finished as of April 2012 with Capcom aiding Ninja Theory in tweaking few aspects for the final product. Capcom became heavily involved in the combat system to ensure the character's responsive moves and add new air combos never seen before in the franchise.[14] The development team included over ninety members with nearly ten of them being from Capcom."
yes, nearly ten people made the gameplay while NT just sat there and watched in awe right? -_-

Yeah, that whole piece says nothing about Ninja Theory doing the gameplay, though I can imagine some of them may have worked on it alongside Capcom staff members. I don't know how many people it takes to make the gameplay, but I'm sure it doesn't take eighty people. The point is, Capcom mainly worked on the gameplay, not Ninja Theory.

ZeroLove

From what I understand, Capcom was there, not to MAKE the gameplay, but to GUIDE Ninja Theory's people and help them make it.

IncarnatedDemon

My point with refering to Blades of Times is to show that the developers had basic attacks in their game. And i've played the demo, it may not have great depth it's certainly enjoyable. Not to say that it's DMC gameplay, it is not.

But if you look at Darksiders 2 - it's pretty beastly for a game that wasn't created by Capcom.

Now look at Heavenly swords GAMEPLAY, which was Ninja theory's foundation when it comes to Hack and Slash:
Compared to Blades of Time, it doesn't stand out particular much. It's in the same group as Blades of time. But if you compare Blades of Time or Heavenly sword with Darksiders 2 - you see big difference.

And this goes back to my main point - DmC isn't a huge achievement for Capcom nor Ninja theory:
If Capcom hired Vigil games - i'd say they would get MUCH better results than Ninja theory.
If Capcom hired Platinum games - much better result than NT.
If Capcom hired Blades of Time developers - possibly same result as NT or better/worse.

If Heavenly sword 2 was made instead and it was improved by a significant amount: then i would rise up and applaud NT, but it's really hard for me to do that with DmC because of the reasons i mentioned above with the Hack and Slash companies (PG, Blades of Time, Vigil games), and:
The gameplay was defined by Capcom, and Ninja theory received help in producing it on the Unreal Engine. And they managed that to a ok degree. But it's not a individual achievement, but a team achievement. Therefor it has less meaning to me as a achievement.

Any team with same or roughly same skills as Ninja theory in Hack and Slash can make roughly the same gameplay that Ninja theory did with help from Capcom.

Darksiders 2 combat system is fun buts it a joke compared to DmC
Considering that DmC is based of 4 DMC games (10+ years old gameplay refined), and Darksiders has 2 games only.

It's a unfair comparison.
DMC gameplay that has evolved throughout the course of 4 games vs Darksiders gameplay that has evoled as far as 2 games.

Sup incarnate troll. Nice post full of hate. Darksiders 2 (and this is from someone who enjoyed it) is a joke compared to the new DmC, platinum games: not everyone loves wiggling there joystick left to right/or pressing X RAPIDLY every 30 seconds, and as for the third comment: welcome to my ignore list.

IncarnatedDemon

Sup incarnate troll. Nice post full of hate. Darksiders 2 (and this is from someone who enjoyed it) is a joke compared to the new DmC, platinum games: not everyone loves wiggling there joystick left to right/or pressing X RAPIDLY every 30 seconds, and as for the third comment: welcome to my ignore list.
It's really immature that you react this way to my post. And i am a troll because i state something that is true?

Do as you please, but i am not a troll. So i suggest you stop calling me one.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Your post is full of lies. Troll.
Come on, if you dont agree with someone give some argument and start a debate. Right now you are rude.

IncarnatedDemon is right, Darksiders 2 have good combat system. Its different because that game is mix of slasher and kinda puzzle/platformer.

EvilX-81

My point with refering to Blades of Times is to show that the developers had basic attacks in their game. And i've played the demo, it may not have great depth it's certainly enjoyable.

I played the entire game. It has *0* depth and options.

She literally repeats the same attack string over and over until you decide randomly to do her *single* flipkick air combo or you hit an occasional counter prompt.

Her melee is just marginally better than Asura Wrath, in that they literally have about TWO COMBO STRINGS (well, three as she has a aerial sword combo that you can't air juggle anybody into in the first place to use) in their arsenal.) The game is schlock. An assortment great ideas (which is why I eventually brought it), but there's a reason why it came out for 40 bucks when it released.

Lara Croft with guns and magic, exploring booby trapped tombs. HOW DO YOU F--K THAT UP... TWICE.

IncarnatedDemon is right, Darksiders 2 have good combat system. Its different because that game is mix of slasher and kinda puzzle/platformer.

Sandbox dungeon crawler puzzle platformer hack and slasher. If the hack and slasher part just had a few more options to it and a better end battle, I would've married this game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, that whole piece says nothing about Ninja Theory doing the gameplay, though I can imagine some of them may have worked on it alongside Capcom staff members. I don't know how many people it takes to make the gameplay, but I'm sure it doesn't take eighty people. The point is, Capcom mainly worked on the gameplay, not Ninja Theory.

Capcom did not work on the gameplay. Seriously, they've said time and again that Ninja Theory developed the game with oversight from the Capcom team helping them with combat, and by helping, I mean looking over their work and telling them where they can improve elements. Capcom had, like, no hand in the actual programming of the game.

Alex Jones said:

That's Alex Jones in an interview almost two years ago. Capcom were really nothing more than really present supervisors.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Capcom did not work on the gameplay. Seriously, they've said time and again that Ninja Theory developed the game with oversight from the Capcom team helping them with combat, and by helping, I mean looking over their work and telling them where they can improve elements. Capcom had, like, no hand in the actual programming of the game.

That's Alex Jones in an interview almost two years ago. Capcom were really nothing more than really present supervisors.

It says they're collaborating intensely on the gameplay. So no, they didn't just supervise it. But that source is enough for me to concede that Ninja Theory also worked on the gameplay intensively alongside Capcom.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It says they're collaborating intensely on the gameplay. So no, they didn't just supervise it. But that source is enough for me to concede that Ninja Theory also worked on the gameplay intensively alongside Capcom.

Fine then. Since you don't want to just accept it, here's a video where Tameen says that they went from creating the story to full on making the game.

Top Bottom