• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

fixing devil may cry 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
im sure everone agrees devil may cry2 is the worst of the dmc games. an average game amoung greats. but could it be made equal to the others. i think it can, but im not sure how. everyone here probably has at least a few ideas.the story definitly needs major impovments and the game play could use a few additions.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
...reversing Dante's personality transplant is a given.

Personally, I thought the bosses could've been better - hardly any strategy required or relevance or character to them. (And how cheap was Argosax?) If they'd put a bit more thought into those and how to make the fights engaging rather than tedious, etc.

In DMC1 you have bosses which are at least in some way (however loosely) connected to the plot and require a particular approach to deal with. Nelo Angelo and Mundus' appearances go without saying. Nightmare, while a bit random, is probably one of the most interesting bosses in the series with its variety of attacks and the fact there's more than one way to kill it, yadda yadda yadda. In DMC3 and 4 we've got the plot hinging on several boss fights that keep up the tension, with only a couple that seem out of place and a bit lacking in fun (gigapede, for example).

DMC2 had quite a few bosses with no particular purpose to them and hardly any strategy required but hack, hack, hack, dodge/jump. The tank? The big floating skyscraper head thing? Freki, Geri and Bolverk? Furiataurus, while at least requiring you to run around a bit, is a pointless grunt. Phantom makes a meaningless cameo and doesn't even mock you. And so on. If the game itself had a stronger plot in the first half with the bosses worked into it a little better, it might have been a more enjoyable experience. The randomness of the areas you visit is disorienting, as well. I much preferred visiting Mallet or Temen-Ni-Gru for their consistency than I did Dumary, jumping from Mediterraneanesque villages to skyscrapers to creepy gardens to oil rigs to airplane hangars...

Don't get me wrong, DMC2 is the first of the series I played and I must have enjoyed it enough to risk buying the original DMC and every other game afterward. After playing the rest though, 2 feels like a trashy, lazy and disjointed installment. What I like most about the series are the characters, story and the gothic atmosphere; they hold the whole thing together like glue, which is pretty much what 2 lacks. Chi's story should probably have been expanded a bit more as well.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
so we know the bosses are terrible but can you think of a way to make those bosses worthy of dmc. after all the point of this thred is to think of improvments not just list the problems. and about the "story" is there really enough to qualify as a story. we (everyone in this forum) are going to have to put alot of effort into coming up with an improved verson of that.

why oh why did phantom show up again i killed that guy 20 times playing through normal mode on dmc1 why cant he just go away.

aka958

Don't trust people
You can't possibly killed it 20 times in one playthrough of DMC1 when there are 23 (i think) missions.

I have not played the game but from what i can see, the game goes pretty slow and not fast paced and lots of combos.
I think the guns could be less powerful, I think that they are way overpowered.
Giving it more fast paced feel would be great.
Give bosses something to say! Agni and Rudra had almost nothing to do with DMC3 but still they were awesome because they talked and had a personality giving you some entertainment while you went through the missions.
Smaller areas to fight in, or the enemies should have greater attacks that reaches further away and on a bigger area of effect.
Dante went totally silent, what the hell?! This is unlike Dante in so many ways it ain't funny.

Change the way you fight against trismagia, for me it looks like 10 minutes of spamming with your guns till it dies...

The game feels empty, is lucrecia and her "mother" the only people living there besides Arius?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Okay, first of all, the bosses need to talk. Second, the bosses have to be stronger. A freaking tank that can be killed without being hit. Lovely.

The enemies need more variety in their attacks. That, and the areas you fight them in need to be smaller.

Finally, this game's WAYYYY too easy. Even on DMD mode. However, some of the enemies DT's were pretty badass. Especially the Inis demons, what with the flaming cage and all that.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
you guys are starting to get it but not quite think of this like one of the dmc5 idea threads dont just say "this boss needs to talk" or "this weapon needs to be improved"
come up with better versions of the cutsecenes , better movesets, cooler enemies etc.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Alright... Here's the cutscene where Phantom appears...

Phantom appears like normal.

P: Hahahaha! Long time no see, boy! From here on out, easy street ends!
D: Finally! I was getting tired of all the caged crap outside!

Then you fight him.

Here's the Infested Chopper intro. Oh, and when the Chopper talks, imagine it being said by hundreds of voices at once.

IC: Son of Sparda! You will pay for destroying our younger brothers! (Referencing the three Infested Tanks)
D: Would you just shut up, you rust covered piece of trash?

IC shoots missiles, which blows a hole in the skyscraper.

D: Whoa, dude! Careful where you shoot! You almost hit me!

Dante stretches out his coat and you see scorch marks.

IC: That mark is what you shall be when we are done with you, son of Sparda!

Fight with Infested Chopper.

How's that for some cutscenes? They're supposed to be short, like the first game.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
DreadnoughtDT;202521 said:
Alright... Here's the cutscene where Phantom appears...

Phantom appears like normal.

P: Hahahaha! Long time no see, boy! From here on out, easy street ends!
D: Finally! I was getting tired of all the caged crap outside!

Then you fight him.

Here's the Infested Chopper intro. Oh, and when the Chopper talks, imagine it being said by hundreds of voices at once.

IC: Son of Sparda! You will pay for destroying our younger brothers! (Referencing the three Infested Tanks)
D: Would you just shut up, you rust covered piece of trash?

IC shoots missiles, which blows a hole in the skyscraper.

D: Whoa, dude! Careful where you shoot! You almost hit me!

Dante stretches out his coat and you see scorch marks.

IC: That mark is what you shall be when we are done with you, son of Sparda!

Fight with Infested Chopper.

How's that for some cutscenes? They're supposed to be short, like the first game.
finally some one truly understands the point of this thread. those cutscenes are good.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I can't believe I didn't post this before. Here's the first cutscene with Bolverk, where you fight him in the ruins. His voice is raspy and whispery.

B: *sniffs deeply* I smell a horrid soul on you... The soul of Sparda. Why does the descendant of my enemy invade the privacy of my abode?
D: Quite frankly, dude, you need to let that grudge go.
B: Unfortunately, grudges are something that demons hold forever, until they are repaid.
D: What is this, Dr. Phil? Quit counciling me and fight, you skeletal ass!

Bolverk rises out of his chair.

B: Fine, since you are obviously too impatient to merely settle this the gentlemanly way.

Fight with Bolverk.

aka958

Don't trust people
Those are great Dreadnought!

And Darkslayer... First you make the points of what you want to change then afterwards you can go deeper. We made the points, then we can go deeper.
I cannot give any improvements than those shallow points i made because i haven't played the game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Darkslayer, try not to be that mean. First of all, he's never played the game. Second of all, you're supposed to make general points before webbing the whole thing out. Right now I think we should focus on cutscenes. And I think Arius' character needs some major improvement...

Ember To Inferno

Eternal Rest
Here are my simple ways that have probably been said by everyone here:

1. Make the game faster, DMC2 was WAY too slow.
2. Cooler attacks XD
3. Make the game harder...DMD mode is like easy mode.
4. Dante, why aren't you funny? I want Dante back! DX
5. The Despair Embodied was a cool boss, so we should re-vamp his textures.
6. Take out most of the boss fights and improve some (I'm sure you know..)
7. Possible better music change? Although this one is everyone's opinion
8. What everyone else has said XD

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
i think the weapon set needs alot of work
vendetta is cool but merciless is kinda pointless
give vendetta its own moves , add gauntlets and make a couple of interesting weapons and it might work
lucia's weapon set; keep one devil arm and one of her " guns" replace the rest

hey what do you think of the idea of 3 playable charicters. dante, lucia( a improved version ) and nero ( we can work him in somehow)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vendetta was cool, but I liked the idea they had behind Merciless. Perhaps Vendetta could have powerful, slow swings and Merciless would have blindingly fast swings. Their special moves would differ as well. Also, on the topic of a gauntlet-type weapon... What about some gauntlets and greaves in the the style of the Sparda sword? That would look pretty awesome... They would be called "Archus". And no, don't try looking that up to see what it means. I made it up. :p

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
speed is more virgils thing. and two swords is enough so i think rebellion and vendetta shoud be the ones kept.your gauntlet idea is cool but it whould be better with a meaningful name i recommend picking a word that has to do with the weapon then translating it into another language or doing what dmc's creators have done and picking a name from mythology. its mutch better than just making it up. beowulf and gilgamesh are charicers in epics. maybie you should find another epic (there are a lot of them out there) and use the hero's name.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
What about Hercules? That just popped into my head. Or, if that doesn't work, it could be named after the deity of all deities in Greek mythology, Chaos.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Hercules works although Heracles the proper name for hercules whould be better

Chaos is an indefinite void not really a deity it the first greek deites are Gaia and Eros who appear spontaniously form Chaos

a pair of gauntles called heracles whoud be a perfect additon to dmc2 add a few more details and it'll be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom