• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite mythological creature

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
From all the mythologies and folklores you know, what's your favorite creature? And why?

Mine has always be the Werewolf. It communicates me a sense of strength, power and freedom at the same time, I've always been fascinated by it.

Its figure has gone through quite a few different versions, in both design and story behind it.

Design wise, you got the half human half wolf version, which divides into having a more human face, or a more wolfy one. Also it can be bigger than a human, or it can be the same size.
Also you got the full wolf form, which I like the least cause it just looks like a normal wolf, only a bit scarier, kinda like it is portrayed in An American Werewolf in London. Not a fan of that design.
My favorite is CD Projekt RED's design in The Witcher 3:

Story wise, you got the curse version, the infection/desease version, and the morphing version, where the guy is in total control of when he can transform.

Personally I prefer the curse version, cause I like the whole "no turning back" idea.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Shapeshifting werewolves. Not those transforming into halfhumans/halfmen but those who completely transforms into wolfs at will.
white-werewolf1.jpg

Viper

Premium
Hmm, let's see...

The old myth on vampires as silent, predatory creatures of the night. Includes Dracula, mostly as envisioned by Bram Stoker.
I like the idea, mostly from a writer standpoint, of people throwing away their humanity for sinful pleasure and escape from death, but at the price of forever thirsting for blood and prowling in the dark.

Also in the werewolves group, I like them bigger with wolf face and changing at will, cause they are strong and agile beasts. And I like wolves, plain and simple. Not to mention there is something primal in man changing into beast, like a de-evolution.

domaći/domovoi - house spirit that protects it as long as you are kind to him. His actions resemble that of poltergeist, but are not limited to it.

Vila - a female spirit, slavic version of a nymph with power over wind and storms. A beautiful but a fierce warrior that likes dancing, but can be quite cruel to men.

Honestly, these two are also something I look at mostly from writer's standpoint, they are dangerous, but a different kind of dangerous from usual suspects. They are also not evil by default, domaći can be like a family member if you treat him right. Vila doesn't have to necessarily kill a man she asks to dance with her. There are also some that help people.

Kitsune or fox spirit of Japanese mythology. Cause they are tricksters and I like that. XD

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Vampire , they are immortal have super strength and speed , they get other powers like shapeshipting into bats or wolves , they can compell humans to do there bifding they get stronger with age and they can become mist or move fast enough to teleport , downside they can't go out in daylight but hey once indoors there fine

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Ya gotta ask? ;)

The phoenix; I like them for a few reasons.

c8d0478b-6232-4df6-ba12-bf1d514dd01c.jpg~original

One, their symbolism: they're symbols of the cycle of life; birth, death, and rebirth--this can be taken (in their mythos) in the literal sense. Symbolically, I see them as signs that we can rise above adversity, we can become stronger through the horrors we face, and become better people for it.

Two, fire: Yes, I like dragons for the same reason; raw power beyond containing, but when it comes to the phoenix, it really stirs something inside of me. Fire is strength, purity, power--and be it the dragon or the phoenix, the flame is beyond anything mere mortals can create.

Three: The phoenix, much like the dragon, has been imagined in a variety of forms, has a variety of other powers and abilities (some merely crop up in novels, while others are from their actual--albeit limited--folklore). As such, it's up to the person to view them as they will; whether they have a true physical form, or whether they're flame itself. :)

That's just what comes to mind, really. I've loved them for a long time (longer than I've loved Harry Potter books and movies, lol). They are to me what dragons and unicorns are to others.

Last edited:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
My favorite mythological creature is the chimera. A monstrous fire-breathing hybrid of Greek mythology. I like the chimera not because it can breath fire, but that fact it is a hybrid of three different creatures: the head of a lion, on her hind-part a dragon and in the middle the head of a goat. What a fascinating beast for sure.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
dracula_blood_wings_by_michaelbroussard-d78fmxm.jpg
"They live beyond the grace of God...
wanderers in the
outer darkness. T
hey are vampyre, nosferatu.
These creatures do
not die like the bee after the first sting, but instead grow
stronger, and become immortal once infected by another Nosferatu. So, my friends, we fight not one beast but legions that go on
age after age after age, feeding on the blood of the living."
----Abraham Van Helsing on vampires, Bram Stoker's Dracula

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Loki-norse-mythology-loki-30846937-600-800.jpg

My favourite has always been Loki from Norse mythology.
Mainly because he's like the naughty little brat of the gods. The blacksheep of the herd, if you will. I could relate to that as a kid.
(...and it totally has nothing to do with Julian being inspired by him...)

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
My favorite mythological creature is an honest politician.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I like just about any creature that's been apart of mythology (even zombies are beginning to grow on me a little bit). I've liked vampires a lot since I was a kid, though, and now I'm partial to sirens and demons, as well. Probably because the idea of something beautiful being the embodiment of evil and sin is just fascinating to me--that something that seems pure can tempt you into a state of torment or death...or, y'know, worse is just...yeah. :thumbsup: Probably why I dislike the thought of demons being ugly in a lot of media. I dunno about you guys, but it would take one attractive, silver-tongued devil to make me go willingly into hell...like Vergil, for instance.

Also like dragons. Dragons are awesome. Wings and fire, yepyep. :thumbsup:

Viper

Premium
@Shadow
Not alone in that, there is a reason why we say "one handsome devil"... ;)

Though both demons and angels were bestial in appearance in their early depictions, cause they were something inhuman and made for battle. With time angels got a serious makeover, becoming beautiful humans with wings, while demons remained ugly to make a clearer distinction between good and evil (or something like that).

Top Bottom