• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite DMC game?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't like how the game handled the social satire (as you put it), though. It wasn't very subtle. It was clear from the moment Bob Barbas showed up, or should I rather say Rill O'Beilly showed up, that the game was poking fun at Fox News. Plus, the whole 'they control in the background' thing, it was a clear reference to those underground societies conspiracy theorists talk about, like 'Illuminati' and stuff. Oh, and the whole 'secret ingredient' stuff? A nod to Coca-Cola.

But yes, you guys are right. We should stop arguing before I start to enjoy this.
It was NOT trying to be subtle. The point was to be over the top and ridiculous which is anything is just more of a nod and tribute to the Devil May Cry spirit.

It's very self aware. It pokes fun at all the tin foil hat theories, Fox news, and just takes the typical jabs at Corporate America. The theme is satire. And just a note, Virility isn't pin pointing any particular soda brand. Just look up the definition of Virility (for one it's supposed to be an energy drink) and the eye rolling marketing ploys. It's exaggeration and just one big joke.
650px-Virility_banner.jpg

Before you start just mouthing off educate yourself a bit on the stuff you're trying to debate here.
straw-man.jpg

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
It was NOT trying to be subtle. The point was to be over the top and ridiculous which is anything is just more of a nod and tribute to the Devil May Cry spirit.

It's very self aware. It pokes fun at all the tin foil hat theories, Fox news, and just takes the typical jabs at Corporate America. The theme is satire. And just a note, Virility isn't pin pointing any particular soda brand. Just look up the definition of Virility (for one it's supposed to be an energy drink) and the eye rolling marketing ploys. It's exaggeration and just one big joke.

Not only that, but they even make fun of their own characters too.
White hair joke
Kat's squirrel semen spell
Dante and Vergil's brotherly banering (bigger d*ck...really?)

One of my problems with DMC was that they always tried to make Dante cool and made it as if nothing could beat him and nothing could touch him. But in DmC this Dante DOES have flaws and can get beat up, take a punch, and get back in the ring. Something I don't believe classic Dante can do because he's never known true defeat and as such wouldn't know what to do.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You mean like when in the anime Dante called the warden a "pudgy f*ck".
Yep.

One of my problems with DMC was that they always tried to make Dante cool and made it as if nothing could beat him and nothing could touch him. But in DmC this Dante DOES have flaws and can get beat up, take a punch, and get back in the ring. Something I don't believe classic Dante can do because he's never known true defeat and as such wouldn't know what to do.
Dante has gotten his ass kicked more than once, what you are describing is unique to DMC4.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And in DMC2 to DMC4. DMC1 was the only one where he actually had issues, while the others were like he was so perfect.
Then there is the one where he gets impaled and gets his DT, and where Beowulf punches him to the ground.

You are right about 2 ofcourse.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Then there is the one where he gets impaled and gets his DT, and where Beowulf punches him to the ground.

You are right about 2 ofcourse.

True, but still can't help but feel they tried making him too perfect in 2 through 4. All that did was lower his quality in my opinion.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Nine chances outta ten, theirs already like ten posts like this one. But just for the he!! of it, which DMC game is your favorite? Mine's DMC3 (it's actually my favorite game in general). It was the first I played and I loved the characters and the environments. In-fact, my idea of a perfect DMC game, is basically DMC3, but with DMC4 (or better) graphics, and Dante able to change styles on the fly like in DMC4. How about you?

DMC3 and DMC4 are pretty much tied, for me. DMC3 had far more imaginative environments, where as DMC4 had generic, but pleasant-to-look-at ones. Graphically, I enjoy DMC4 over DMC3. DMC3's storyline is more interesting, though I enjoy 4's as well, though I wish they'd been able to put more effort into it than they did.

Gameplay wise: DMC3 is harder, so beating it is definitely much more gratifying. DMC4 however feels smoother, and as such has a lot of replay value for me; when I want to get serious, I play on the harder modes. But for the most part, I play in DH or SOS mode to blow off steam if I'm having one of "those"days.

TheManWhoMakesDevilsCry

Devil May Cry's a rockin' baby, yeah!
The first one is still my favorite. I really like the classic Resident Evil feel that it has that makes it seem eerie in many places. That mixed with the action the game had, and I'm sold. I will admit, it is kind of lacking in the action department, but it is the first game. I also feel this was the only game in the series that got the creepy gothic scenery right as well. Sure, 3 went back to using the gothic structures, but it didn't really feel nearly as creepy as the first game did. Plus the soundtrack that 1 had also set the mood better than any of the other game's soundtracks did.

Like I said earlier, gameplay and combat aren't the best the series has to offer. That respect goes to 3 and 4. The first game did have a lot of cool elements, though. I played really well for it being an earlier game in the hack and slash genre. I also think it had the best difficulty in the series. It was difficult at times, but not over the top with it like 3 was.

This is just my opinion, though.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
DMC3 and DMC4 are pretty much tied, for me. DMC3 had far more imaginative environments, where as DMC4 had generic, but pleasant-to-look-at ones. Graphically, I enjoy DMC4 over DMC3. DMC3's storyline is more interesting, though I enjoy 4's as well, though I wish they'd been able to put more effort into it than they did.

Gameplay wise: DMC3 is harder, so beating it is definitely much more gratifying. DMC4 however feels smoother, and as such has a lot of replay value for me; when I want to get serious, I play on the harder modes. But for the most part, I play in DH or SOS mode to blow off steam if I'm having one of "those"days.

Stole the words right out of my mouth. Although I'm adding the first one in the mix because I loved the gothic atmosphere. Yeah those three are constantly switching number one spots :D

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Stole the words right out of my mouth. Although I'm adding the first one in the mix because I loved the gothic atmosphere. Yeah those three are constantly switching number one spots :D

1 is a close second for me. Much like 3, beating the bosses is insanely gratifying, given how hard it is (or maybe it's just me, lol).

The Final Offer

My favorite would come down to how much fun I had with each Devil May Cry. Which ones I was able to go back and enjoy over and over again. The events that occurred. The freedom and the fluid combat.

I've never actually went back to DMC 2, 3, or 4. I saw replay value in DMC 1 after DMC 4 came out. So that's several years with the sequels and still having a taste for charging Ebony and Ivory with electricity and blasting whatever the Hell moved.

What stopped that unquenchable thirst for DMC1 is DmC. The game, I believe went back and corrected the mistakes of the last games and built the series upwards. If DMC 1 was reworked and had the combat of DmC, then it would be my most favorite. Until that happens, DMC1 and DmC are tied for first place.

Following behind tied to second is DMC3 and DMC4. I felt DMC 4 was just an expansion alongside a new character that's role is impact similar to Vergil in DMC 3 Special edition. Three weapons for the new guy and several for Dante.Dante doesn't have to stop at a statue to switch styles. Wow. Nothing changed since DMC 3.

Last is DMC 2, a game which gave birth to trickster and gunslinger and may have had the most weapons in DMC history. I really enjoyed dual wielding SMGs, wall running, and DTing based off of artifacts.. That was badass.

Last edited:

ShinyAzure

I enjoy all of the games but my two favorites are DmC and dmc3.
I find DmC a good game for me to blow off steam especially at Lilith's club.
I also like the music in DmC, i find it pretty agressive wich makes blowing off steam even more fun ;D
Alot of the soundtracks are made by Combichrist.
I listened to them before DmC came out. That makes it even more awesome.
I also like it that in both games you can play as Vergil.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Wow I'm surprised I haven't actually commented on this old thread. Favorite would have to be DMC1 and 3. Loved them both. DMC4 and 2 were great too in their own ways. Hell I even got a little bit of fun from the reboot...

But yeah 1 and 3 remain the top dog.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DMC1 for its Dante character.
DMC2 for...um...dunno.
DMC3 and DMC4 only for its gameplay. Everything else was crap.
DmC for pretty much everything else.

So basically DmC.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Hard to tell. Conflicted between 3 and 4, I greatly enjoyed both. But because of the challenge of gameplay and the emotional impact, I'll go with DMC3.
I enjoyed DmC's combat too, too bad it was so easy. Anything else about that game was crap to me. But I expected that from the beginning, so at least DmC is not my least favourite... keeping expectations low helps sometimes, guys! ;)

Frazz

General gamer
Sorry I'm late to this crazy party but I must say that I believe that DMC1 is the best in the series. The reason: best tone, best environments, best enemy design and also it has few characters that aren't too silly (Trish looked much better as she didn't have ridiculous jiggle physics applied at that time!)

Top Bottom