• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Evil Within vs Resident Evil

berto

I Saw the Devil
Bethesda didn't make it, Tango Gameworks did. They just published and commissioned it.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Machinegames made Wolfenstein TNO, that game was buggy and broken as hell day one and let's not forget RAGE, done by the mighty id Software, yet was still a buggy mess day 1 and Bethesda still was involved.
Those were just games from them that I played, yet I still heard people saying Fallout, Skyrim and other Bethesda games were all buggy messes.

Pretty much anything from Bethesda is buggy and often poorly optimized, they've made a reputation out of it, so it's hard to believe that The Evil Within's stupidly high requirements, FPS lock and screen ratio were design choices.
They sound more like compromises to get the game to run averagely.

berto

I Saw the Devil
i won't argue the rest because i haven't played most of the games you've talked about so i don't know their issues as you do but how can you possibly think that an aspect ratio is in any way shape or form a product of bad porting issues and anything BUT a design choice? especially one like 2.35:1 which is specifically a film ratio use for theatrical releases.

i happen to know that this game was made in japan, i saw a few behind the scenes videos, and from what i saw it was all tango and mikami making this game. i can't say with absolute certainty that this is so but from what i know they alone made the game.

it's not technically perfect but unplayable is not the word to describe this game.

Maxman

It's hard to believe that because Bethesda's games are always badly optimized, so it's hard to believe it was a design choice and is easier to believe it's an excuse for the bad port.

I may just rent the 360 version.
I believe you can uncap the framerate on the PC version using Dev Commands and regarding the aspect ratio, I believe what @berto is correct, that aspect ratio is an intentional design choice by the development team to give it a more cinematic feel, And the options are themselves pretty limited and fiddling with them won't produce much drastic effect

here, some info regarding the PC version
http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-evil-within/port-inspection-the-evil-within

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
More like RE4 but with much less ammo laying around. The creatures are all more interesting than I thought. The game is more intense than scary. It's certainly horror survival but I'm not so much scared than I am tense and nervous.
I was expecting a grandiose return to survival horror but i guess this RE4.5 will suffice as i love RE4 so much.

And on the plus side this looks a lot better than RE5&6! the only issue i have with this is that its graphics are kinda "meh" it doesn't really look as polished as a 2014 game should be.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
i won't argue the rest because i haven't played most of the games you've talked about so i don't know their issues as you do but how can you possibly think that an aspect ratio is in any way shape or form a product of bad porting issues and anything BUT a design choice? especially one like 2.35:1 which is specifically a film ratio use for theatrical releases.

i happen to know that this game was made in japan, i saw a few behind the scenes videos, and from what i saw it was all tango and mikami making this game. i can't say with absolute certainty that this is so but from what i know they alone made the game.

it's not technically perfect but unplayable is not the word to describe this game.
It's because the screen ratio can't be changed in options as far as I know and can only be done by changing the game's programming, same with the framerate, so it seems to me like it's been done to make the screen smaller so not much stuff shows up on screen, allowing for less horsepower requirements, I don't know for sure, so design choice or not, the framerate, screen ratio and system requirements are too untrustworthy for me to pay full price for this game.
Bethesda's games are always extremely demanding due to poor optimization and clearly Bethesda has affected Tango's development of The Evil Within, the system requirements are the proof of that.

I can not believe that a game that has average graphics, runs at 30FPS and has a letterbox screen ratio requires an i7 CPU, 4GBs of VRAM and 50GBs of hard drive space to run.
Especially when I just played Alien Isolation which has far superior graphics and runs as high as 200FPS on multiple screen ratios and uses half the hard drive space (22GBs).
That is a clear sign of a bad port and since it's Bethesda, it's not surprising.

I believe you can uncap the framerate on the PC version using Dev Commands and regarding the aspect ratio, I believe what @berto is correct, that aspect ratio is an intentional design choice by the development team to give it a more cinematic feel, And the options are themselves pretty limited and fiddling with them won't produce much drastic effect

here, some info regarding the PC version
http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-evil-within/port-inspection-the-evil-within

That article just proved my point, the game is buggy, messy and just not optimized, Bethesda has f**ked with the game alright.

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I can not believe that a game that has average graphics, runs at 30FPS and has a letterbox screen ratio requires an i7 CPU, 4GBs of VRAM and 50GBs of hard drive space to run..
holy **** it needs 50 GB OF SPACE!? damn this has to be biggest PC game ever!

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Wolfenstein The New Order also had a 50GB size and the game was buggy as hell with high system requirements, I couldn't even get 60FPS on Max settings, I had to turn off some of the buggy features.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Wolfenstein The New Order also had a 50GB size and the game was buggy as hell with high system requirements, I couldn't even get 60FPS on Max settings, I had to turn off some of the buggy features.
Dammit its 2014 and we're still getting sh!tty PC ports! just WHY?

Maxman

Yeah, but i remember reading somewhere else that once the game is fully installed, its gonna take somewhere around 41 GB , 50 GB is required for installation I believe

Yo @berto, can yo gimme a full list of weapons featured in the game , I am kinda curious what firearms those guys have packed in aside from the obvious ones('nades,revolver and shotty)

Maxman

I have watched like many of the videos for the story playthrough of the The Evil Within and I can pretty much say that this is a game I can see myself loving it and having fun :D

Enemy Designs look ****ing awesome and stealth looks good, and the Combat Seems pretty spot On :D

GEDDAMMIT WHEN I WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE MY ****ING PC ????????

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Well, if it's a lot like RE4, I guess I won't be playing it. RE4 is the game that created the gameplay that led up to RE5 and RE6. It paved the way not only for that, but also for the inane characters. I'm not saying RE was much better in the past, but from RE4 forward, it became something it shouldn't have been. Calling it survival horror seemed ridiculous.
I played RE4, and didn't like it that much, just like I didn't like RE5 and RE6. It's more action than horror - in fact, RE4 didn't scare me once. I heard that The Evil Within isn't scary in the slightest, and I expect scary stuff from a horror game. If it's more about suspense than horror, that would mean it's like a thriller, and, well... thrillers are not horror.
It's a real shame... I didn't expect Mikami to continue with an RE4-like game.

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well, if it's a lot like RE4, I guess I won't be playing it. RE4 is the game that created the gameplay that led up to RE5 and RE6.
But RE4 is also one of the best damn games ever made! it is one of the games that i have brought TWICE! its just that good and i really have faith in mikami! RE5&6 wasn't made by mikami but this one is... its going to be good whatever it is.

Maxman

But RE4 is also one of the best damn games ever made! it is one of the games that i have brought TWICE! its just that good and i really have faith in mikami! RE5&6 wasn't made by mikami but this one is... its going to be good whatever it is.
Lol, am kinda confused, my other friend who has played the game says it's NOTHING like RE4 :p

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
That's just an opinion. In my opinion, it was not much better than RE5 or even RE6. It had almost the same gameplay as RE5, really, so I don't understand why some people love RE4 but simultaneously hate RE5. Aside from that, I don't think it had much better characters or a better plot. So to be so censorious towards RE5 but not RE4 seems intellectually dishonest.

The Evil Within isn't even really horror - many reviewers have compared it to RE4 in one way or another. Just because it was made by Mikami doesn't mean it's made of gold - Mikami isn't the only one who made the old REs, they had a whole team. A team that did *not* work on The Evil Within... so it makes sense that it would be slightly similar to RE4.
The reviews I usually agree with most give this game three stars out of five, which is about the same grade RE6 got from most reviewers. The Escapist gave it a 6.0/10, and even Power Unlimited only gave it a 6.7. Ironically, some of the criticism The Evil Within got is the same as what RE6 got.

I don't trust those reviews unconditionally, but from most reputable accounts, it's just not that good. They say the story is pretty much nonexistent as well, until the last 10% of the game. Survival horror's not coming back any time soon, I think.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yo @berto, can yo gimme a full list of weapons featured in the game , I am kinda curious what firearms those guys have packed in aside from the obvious ones('nades,revolver and shotty)
so far, as i've only gotten to chapter 5, there is one revolver, a shotgun, one crossbow you can craft your own arrows for, and i know there is a sniper rifle up ahead. couldn't tell ya if there's more.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
That's just an opinion. In my opinion, it was not much better than RE5 or even RE6. It had almost the same gameplay as RE5, really, so I don't understand why some people love RE4 but simultaneously hate RE5. Aside from that, I don't think it had much better characters or a better plot. So to be so censorious towards RE5 but not RE4 seems intellectually dishonest.
Hmm..NO! its not 'intellectually dishonest" to dislike something that is clearly inferior.

RE 5 lacked the atmosphere,clever level design and the cheesy story&characters of RE4 and thus isn't as good and the forced co-op clearly ruins the single player for me.

Just because RE5 is aping RE4 blindly doesn't make it good its nothing but pale imitation of a masterpiece.
Just because it was made by Mikami doesn't mean it's made of gold
Well if its anything close to the ballpark of RE4 then its gold for me! i already knew this wasn't going to be traditional survival horror the day i watched the gameplay preview but the i still want to play the game anyway.
The reviews I usually agree with most give this game three stars out of five
Game reviewing websites are so full of sh!t i don't believe them! i will only believe in user reviews.

I always reserve my judgement until i play the game myself and you should too!

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
This game is everything the Resident Evil games of today SHOULD be as opposed to the actionfest RE6 was.

nuff said.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Here's what I think.

This is a fantastic game. It's not Resident Evil but it's obviously the same maker. The game has in much in common with Resident Evil 4 as Shadows of the Damned does in gameplay and the game design to the Mikami made RE games.

The game is not glitchy, if it was I would have said so. It's not graphically perfect, there are some instances where the models go a little through the walls but the game hasn't crashed on me, hasn't been any game braking glitches, or even little ones aside from the one I mentioned. If there were everyone would've said so already.

The gameplay is fun, the story so far is pretty intriguing, it's visceral, gorry, and pretty f*cked up in places. Its got its flaws and some are bigger than others. I definitely recommend people play this one, especially the RE fans who aren't happy with 5 or 6. If you can rent it rent it; $60 is a bit steep, in my opinion but this is also one I'm glad I didn't pass on.

RE4 didn't scare me once.
Really? Because when I first played RE4 I was trembling when I first got into the village and got chased by that dude with the chainsaw and all those psychos. It's not the same kind of fear I got from SH2 or Fatal Frame II but I was definitely feeling the intensity. But if that is not your thing then this isn't for you because it's all a great big tension fest.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Really? Because when I first played RE4 I was trembling when I first got into the village and got chased by that dude with the chainsaw and all those psychos. It's not the same kind of fear I got from SH2 or Fatal Frame II but I was definitely feeling the intensity. But if that is not your thing then this isn't for you because it's all a great big tension fest.
Really. Well... the very first time I played it, I got a kind of unintentional jump scare, when one of the Ganados stood next to me without my knowledge. That was all due to the tanky controls limiting my field of vision, though.
Yeah, tension, that's what I expected... naaah, I won't buy a horror game that isn't in fact a horror game. Besides, I'm already going to buy the Resident Evil HD Remaster, as I've never played RE1. RE2 is still my favorite.

Top Bottom