• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Evil Within vs Resident Evil

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I'm haven't played Evil Within but i'm going with that.
ResidentEvil is predictable, so tiresome, so played out.
Capcom needs to put an end to it & never reboot it.

i agree. i was more into RE when it was all about survival horror...then the movie happened...(which isn't terrible but it shifted the feel of the franchise)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Resident Evil just needs a drastic overall and to remember it was once a survival horror game. The Evil Within seems pretty cool and I want to check it out since I am a horror fan.

aoshi

I once had a chat in RE forums where i felt chainsaw enemies were my most memorable enemies and wanted more of them in next RE game. Most of them replied as chainsaws were horror cliches. Evil within's first gameplay video features a chainsaw enemy. Hahahahaha.....How ironic???:lol:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Evil Within takes the win against modern Resident Evil. But against the old Resident Evils? Nah!

Resident Evil is in a very tough spot right now, after Capcom confirmed the action isn't working anymore, they can't really finish up the original story without gaining more backlash over the action, unless they wrap it up in another CG movie and Capcom fears that rebooting it will make it end up like DmC. At least I hope that's the reason, I wanted DmCs hatred to get a point across to other developers as well, not just Capcom.

aoshi

It got to the point where you know the main characters would live through it, the cliché villain would return & the heroes would go on.

No. RE 6 Spoiler alert *Piers Nevans died at the end of RE 6*,RE 5 Spoiler alert *Sheva almost died in the end of RE 5 taking wesker down with her.Though it was almost, I don't think anyone would have predicted if sheva would live or die at that moment*

aoshi

1. Piers Nevans: 1st Appearances: Resident Evil 6
Biohazard Marhawa Desire
2. Sheva: 1st Appearance, Resident Evil 5
At this point in the series they are extras, the StarTrek equivalence of the Redshirt character
Redshirt character: A "redshirt" is a stock character in fiction who dies soon after being introduced. Redshirt deaths are often used to dramatize the potential peril that the main characters face. Analysis of the original Star Trek episodes shows that of the 59 crew members killed in the series, 43 (73%) were wearing red shirts.
So Piers Nevans dying & Sheva almost dying in this point in the series means nothing to me.
If it was
Claire Redfield
Leon S. Kennedy
Jill Valentine
Chris Redfield
Then that would be something.

A "redshirt" is a character of low importance who is destined to death.
In other media, the term "redshirt" and images of characters wearing red shirts represent characters destined for suffering or death
Now i don't watch star trek but from the examples given in wikipedia, i believe you got it wrong that piers and sheva were jus "red-shirts".
None of the character names of these red-shirts is mentioned from star-trek episodes. Except, Olson
a red-uniformed character named Olson (portrayed by Greg Ellis) who dies early on during a mission
Which is jus to signify that he was wearing a red-shirt and quickly dies.

Also, these characters are supposedly low-ranking officials which means they don't have a significant character play but are jus supporting actors whose only purpose is to die.
John Scalzi's novel Redshirts (2012) both spoofs and pays homage to the notion of disposable low-ranking crew members on a Star Trek-style starship.
Piers and sheva's role was not to die.But had actual character whose death is a significant lead character death. Their events of death were not early but they were at the very end of the games. In fact, Piers sacrificed himself to save chris and so did sheva. But deaths of red-shirts are purely co-incidental deaths.

"Red shirts" term applies to characters in movies like final destination series,hostel movies,texas chainsaw movies,Urban legend movies where characters are jus to die and it's not for a cause or purpose but purely accidental.

In RE 6, I would call finn and BSAA team that died in edonia as redshirts. In RE 5, The team that died of the B.O.W attack before sheva and chris got to them can be called redshirts. Even in RE 4, I would not call luis sera as red-shirt cuz he gave temperory anti-dotes to leon and ashley to suppress the virus growth in them. Not even steve from code veronica, Cuz he had actual character in code veronica and even makes moral decision not to kill claire redfield.

But piers and sheva , sorry, Can't agree.

aoshi

Sheva & Piers Nevans are not as recognisable with the ResidentEvil series as Claire Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, Jill Valentine, or Chris Redfield.
So they're deaths, almost deaths at this point in the series to me remains equivalent to the StarTrek Redshirt character & nothing more.
Thier roles maybe a little more significant then the average StarTrek Redshirt pawn, but they're still a pawn all the same.
If sheva appears in any future ResidentEvil titles & survives till the 12th ResidentEvil title, then i'll agree with you.
But until then they wear Redshirts :)

Not every character in a game can be treated as lead character but jus cuz they don't lead them, does not mean they are jus disposable.You have got it all wrong. Thank you for wasting my time.

EDIT: In fact, sheva and piers do lead the game and are in every mission till the very end of the game. Not all supporting characters do that and their role is higher than a supporting one but a bit lower than a resident lead character.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
I think this is Shinji's way of indirectly saying f*uck you to Capcom.:D

Resident Evil 4 changed the series, but it still gave the series that fire to stay relevant; mixing some of the old with the new. Granted it wasn't like the traditional RE horror but it still got your blood racing. To me personally, I feel that this is what Shinji wanted to do if he was still with Capcom; giving his style of approach while still retaining the RE elements. Needless to say I can't wait for the game to come out.

I don't think a reboot of RE will bring back its reputation since its been so tarnished. It seems too late for them to do anything since it strives so hard to pull in the COD audience and it basically just lost its way. I mean, why couldn't they take a character from the game and do all that action/cover shooters, bla-blah-blah as a type of spin-off instead of tampering with the whole series? RE 5 and RE 6 are okay little games, they just fall flat on their faces as an RE title.

IncarnatedDemon

I played early games of RE. But recent ones to my observation are simply stupid crap.
And Shinji Mikami seems like a great developer:

The master of survival horror believes now is a great time to reenter the genre too, because next-gen technologies offer much higher graphical fidelity, which makes the game "a lot scarier." That's "a big advantage over the previous generations," he said. Mikami's also intrigued by future possibilities involving camera technology like Kinect, which can track facial expressions and a player's heartbeat.

"If the accuracy improves and we can really observe the player's facial expression and heartbeat the game could react to that and that could really be something we could use for survival horror," he agreed.

He uses graphics for a purpose, which is very wise decision.
In contrast to Ninja theory who uses graphics to make their game look shiny and leave the gameplay at bareminium level.

Graphics in a H&S genre is not important. What's important is the gameplay, you should focus on that, and only when you have a really interesting gameplay and you know you can improve the graphics without affecting the gameplay,
ONLY THEN should you do it.

This is for most parts, a interactive movie:
compare it with one of best H&S in the industry:

NT should go survival horror or adventure game genre. H&S is not compatible with their vision unless they want to use alot of money (over 30M) to make great graphic and gameplay.

Graphics is important in a Horror and Adventure/Exploration game: For the experience.
In Horror: Scare **** out of you
In Adventure: Give you a feeling of the world ,so that you want to explore.

I will prolly try Evil Within if it will be on pc.
Mikami has earned my admiration.

RE and capcom can F off. "Going back to roots", oh f you. You said the same thing about dmc, and what did you do? Inject motion capture and sacrifice gameplay over it.

Now i have to avoid Evil Within news :p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
How the hell does this even happen? Get over yourself. We're not talking about hack n slashers or anything like that here. It's all about survival horror. Apples and oranges.

On a survival horror related note, you guys should play Outlast. PLAY OUTLAST! HORROR FANS SHOULD NOT MISS OUT ON THIS.

Reactions: Jak

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Resident evil has reached the lowest point in the series and it almost feels like a quasi-Micheal bay movie with all those explosions and horrible cheesy lines Capcom just needs to put down the series for its own sake.

The evil within seems like it has a promise behind it with shinji working and all.

But i swear i'll still buy a HD port of Resident evil remake in a heartbeat ! if they care about it that is.

Reactions: Jak

berto

I Saw the Devil
is it like Resident evil(remake) or Resident evil 4?
More like RE4 but with much less ammo laying around. The creatures are all more interesting than I thought. The game is more intense than scary. It's certainly horror survival but I'm not so much scared than I am tense and nervous.

berto

I Saw the Devil
PS: It's very Resident Evil. It's something I would compare more with the classic RE than RE5 or 6. Yeah, there are no zombies, but they have an equivalent that works just as well and the other monsters are in the same airs as RE in terms of mechanics and game design. In some ways Shadows of the Damned is a more refined game and some ways this one is better. The camera is odd and hard to use for stealth but the game is so damn fun it's easily overlooked. It's really easy to die but it's not as tough as the Damned or RE4.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Are you playing on PC or consoles? I'm unsure of buying it because the system requirements are ridiculous and the 30fps lock and aspect ratio is also concerning.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Are you playing on PC or consoles? I'm unsure of buying it because the system requirements are ridiculous and the 30fps lock and aspect ratio is also concerning.

PS4.

The game doesn't run at 3ofps because of council limitations but rather it was a design choice. They wanted to make it a more cinematic experience which is why they went with the 30fps and a aspect ratio of 2.35:1, to make it look more like a movie. The PC version doesn't support different ratios or framerates, ether and isn't recommended. It is possible, just not suggested.

It's an odd choice, I agree, that doesn't change the experience that much for me but it also doesn't hurt it so I don't mind too much, myself.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
It's hard to believe that because Bethesda's games are always badly optimized, so it's hard to believe it was a design choice and is easier to believe it's an excuse for the bad port.

I may just rent the 360 version.

Top Bottom