• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Evil Within vs Resident Evil

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
This is the best review of the game :-

This honest review tells you exactly what the game has to offer and what it doesn't...

berto

I Saw the Devil
I can't say I agree with that. The guy isn't lying but I don't agree with the way the guy phrased things or the light he's showing the elements in it.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I rented the game during the weekend, played about an hour of it and I rather liked it, took a little bit of time to get used to but I liked it, I stopped playing after the hour because I'm gonna grab the PC version if I see it at the Expo I'm going to and I don't want the game spoiled :)

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I already explained my views. Sheva and Ashley are both followers - companions. Their presence alone reduced the impact of the horror elements. Look at it this way: if you were watching a horror movie with a friend, in the dark, that would be less creepy than watching a horror movie by yourself in the dark. Now, I trust you finally understand what I said. If not, don't bother replying. Also, many of your opinions are just that: opinions. My opinion is that RE5 is pretty much as good as RE4. Its bosses were no easier than RE4's, in my opinion. RE4 has the same kind of annoying QTEs too. Enemy design, and even level design, are subjective things, so don't call it a fact that RE4 is 'better' in that regard. I will not reply to any more misunderstandings or twisting of my words.

So I hear some people 'like' The Evil Within, and that it's better than contemporary Resident Evil games like RE6. It's nice that you 'like' it, but this is not Facebook.
My question is: is it a truly great game? Most reviews I've read (that are actually decently critical), say that it's worth about a 7/10. Would you say that's accurate? I've heard it isn't a scary game at all, and that it's mostly gory. Most of the things I've seen look pretty cliché and not scary at all. Also, some think the survival isn't great either: too easy. Some disagree and say it's very tough to defeat enemies and stay alive while improving your character the best you can. What's your opinion on the survival?

Last edited:

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."

lol It's like getting to the good parts & then the camera cuts away to focus on someone's reactions.

I'm like show me what's scary NOT show me that you're scared of what you're looking at lol.
Exactly! A classic case of show don't tell. Ironiclly movies pull this crap too. :/

Maxman

I like the trailers for TheEvilWithIn but i hate the stupid commercials for it.

I don't wanna see a commercial for a person's reactions while playing it, i don't care.
I wanna see more of the game alone in commercials.
Lewl
I believe EA did something like this back in the day for Dead Space 2

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
About 2 in a half hours in and I gotta say I'm loving the game itself, as a big fan of horror and stealth games, this game does both very well and I love it.
However the aspect ratio and 30FPS lock was giving me headaches and making the game a bit frustrating for me so I'm currently playing with the Flawless Widescreen application on as well as in 60FPS and that has made the game SO much better, it doesn't alter the experience that much IMO, the scares are still getting me.

This game is very much what Resident Evil 5 should have been.

If anyone is gonna play this on PC I highly recommend getting the Flawless Widescreen app.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I bought the art book a while ago, long before I finished the game, didn't want to go through it before I finished the game. there are a lot of really neat things in there. For example, the game wasn't always a horror survival, it went through many phases and genres before they settled on horror survival. As it turns out they decided to start making the game before they made any concept art, which turned out rather impractical and they didn't stick to it but unfortunately, since they build large parts of the game without concept art it's a rather small part of the book.

As it turns out the box man was almost scrapped because of how much it resembled another iconic monster from another series but they stuck with it and he became a 'poster boy' for the game and they didn't look back. Laura was also intentionally made with the classic Japanese horror long black hair that all of asian horror fans have come to know and love. I know there've been a lot of complains that the game has these horror staples that are all well known but it seems to have been very much the point. The classic horror imagery, the Resident Evil references, the obvious montage to other famous horror staples and icons. I know that there was that one reviewer who talked about it like it was a bad thing but personally I found it all to be a big plus.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
As someone who enjoys American Horror story, which is pretty much gathered cliches and troupes, I love Evil Within. I love it very much. My only 2 gripes with it are: 1) Story is very confusing, and hard to follow. It all became clear in the end, but till than it was mindbreak. Than again it reminded me of Alan Wake that was just as confusing :) 2) Enemies with guns. Zombie with guns are lame. There I said it.
Otherwise it was enjoyable and awesome horror-themed ride.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The haunted are more like el ganado of RE4 than zombies. They are you horde enemy type but they are sentient enough to use weapons. If one can use a chainsaw than a gun should be a much less complicated affair.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
The haunted are more like el ganado of RE4 than zombies. They are you horde enemy type but they are sentient enough to use weapons. If one can use a chainsaw than a gun should be a much less complicated affair.
theoretically yes. Yet i just find that as soon as enemies are starting to shoot at you you just recept them as recolored human enemies. In that terms Doppelgangers were much cooler

berto

I Saw the Devil
from EW. Those Ruvik like enemies
OOoooohhhhhhhh. Yeah, I remember them.

That's one of the things that bugged me about the game, enemies that had a one hit kill attack. They felt cheap and I always found that I fell prey to 'em mostly by accident than from lack of skill.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
OOoooohhhhhhhh. Yeah, I remember them.

That's one of the things that bugged me about the game, enemies that had a one hit kill attack. They felt cheap and I always found that I fell prey to 'em mostly by accident than from lack of skill.
I think they were much better than 1H kill from random bullet on higher difficulties. That's why I prefer having them around instead of gun enemies

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Sad to say I haven't touched The Evil Within in a week, I'm pretty disappointed in it all of the sudden, I enjoyed the first few hours but it just got boring for me after a while.

It's not a bad game or anything but I think my verdict is: It's no Alien Isolation, but it is what Resident Evil 5 should have been.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I got to play a bit of it and, it's rather disappointing. The Evil Within is very caught up in itself it seems. Overall, pretty generic and very low on any kind of creep factor or tension. I was really looking to buy it soon, but now I might just look to borrow it to finish it. Or maybe not at all. It's unfortunately kinda lame.

Cool how Anson Mount is in the game though. Love him in Hell On Wheels.

Top Bottom